Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2012 8:12:40 PM EDT
Right now I'm reading Jon Gutmacher's book, Florida firearms law, use & ownership. In it there are several references to being able to use deadly force in a situation involving forcible felonies, fear for ones life or great bodily harm.

My question what exactly constitutes "great bodily harm", especially here in FL? is a broken nose? A bad laceration? Thanks
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#1]
GA law reads pretty much the same. It means an injury that can cause death or permenate disfigurement or loss of use of part of ones body.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#2]
It usually means there is a large risk of death, disfigurement, or prolonged damage to organs. In FL courts it has also been defined as:

great bodily harm ... means "great [harm] as distinguished from slight, trivial, minor or
moderate harm and as such, does not include mere bruises as are likely to be inflicted in a
simple assault and battery.
Coronado v. State, 654 So. 2d 1267, 1270 (Fla. 2d DCA 1995)

Here's a vid on CA's interpretation: http://www.shouselaw.com/gbi.html
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 6:11:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Florida doesn't (appear to)* statutorily define the term "great bodily harm," so the courts look to the plain meaning of the words.  In my mind, it means anything that would require medical care, cause a disability or necessitate recuperation.

Here's a case from Florida that discusses "serious bodily harm," and the approach to applying such terms.  Link

* As far as I know, after a few minutes of researching it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 4:59:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Smack Brock Lessner in the face ... HE might have an issue defining that as doing him "great bodily harm".
(although he may re-define it for you. )
OTOH ... I've had retinal surgery before and would set my assault bar fairly low in defining "great bodily harm".
I, in no way, look like a sheeple target, but my being personally aware of what can occur from a blow to the face establishes for me
a different state of mind than a person who might either be unaware of the risks or someone like Brock who "embraces" that kind of activity.
"In the judgement of a reasonable man" is the other standard often quoted.
Unfortunately, that does little to clear things up when discussing the finer points of a particular case.
One last thing ... Hollywood has too many heroes.
Way too many generations grew up to Marshall Dillon or __________  (fill in the blank) shaking off a shot to the shoulder
and regaining the full use of that limb in time for next weeks episode.  
IMHO ... the average person is clueless about just how much damage a "simple assault" can do.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Just being pushed down off your feet for me is great bodily harm. You see eight weeks ago I fell of my tractor and landed wrong. Ruptured Achilles Tendon. Surgery, then been eight weeks of wearing a special boot followed by twice a week PT. I'm still not walking all that good and doc says four more weeks till I can put a shoe on. Never thought just falling down could cause such Bodily Harm.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 5:30:34 AM EDT
[#7]
You will likely have to review case (common) law to see how the courts have attempted to define it.

Statute law is NOT the only law.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top