Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Hard to tell from the picture but is that quartz veins in the rock?

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
tag for pics

ETA: Couldnt have been much of an exploaration to have 30 minutes round trip and 25 minutes between 'leaving' and being 'back'.

You do realize it's fucking creepy and sleestaks and cthulu and shit live underground right?  I wouldn't even put my fucking hand in the goddamn thing and my flashlight holding wench sucked at keeping the entrance illuminated to make sure they didn't pull me in.  I got the pics, I got the fuck out.

You didn't even go alone?

What type of Arfcommer are you?

I brought a small woman to hold my flashlight so I could take the pictures, otherwise, I may never had been found alive.  Besides, if it caved in I could feast on her body for like at least a couple hours.  Small women = SHTF food supply.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#3]
tagging this one since I never got to see what was at the bottom of the other well/cave
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Told you there were sleestaks and shit!

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Kill it with FIRE then nuke it from orbit!!

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
tag for pics

ETA: Couldnt have been much of an exploaration to have 30 minutes round trip and 25 minutes between 'leaving' and being 'back'.

You do realize it's fucking creepy and sleestaks and cthulu and shit live underground right?  I wouldn't even put my fucking hand in the goddamn thing and my flashlight holding wench sucked at keeping the entrance illuminated to make sure they didn't pull me in.  I got the pics, I got the fuck out.

You didn't even go alone?

What type of Arfcommer are you?

A living one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone with something dangling between their legs would have dived in head first and started exploring.

- BG
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in for the pics...and the other stuff.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't end up like Ted the caver

That's messed up. I guess Ted never made it out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#12]
It looks like the portal of an exploration drift.  Do your local mine rescue team a favor.  Stay out and stay alive.  Just remember, if it is too dangerous to recover the body, we leave it there for eternity.

SRM
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Mobile IN

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 9:59:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It looks like the portal of an exploration drift.  Do your local mine rescue team a favor.  Stay out and stay alive.  Just remember, if it is too dangerous to recover the body, we leave it there for eternity.

SRM

Fuck no, tomorrow the preliminary day light excavation begins and the measurements taken for the carpet.  I'm keeping this cave.  It's mine dammit.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#17]

shoot it twice in the face. What movie is that from?

The cave and the descentare two freaky cave movies
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

shoot it twice in the face. What movie is that from?

The cave and the descentare two freaky cave movies

Check the link. I'm guessing The Decent or #2. The first one blows. If there is a second one I'm sure it delivers the suck in spades as well.

The Caver Journal linked above pissed me off more than my ex-wife. If you haven't read it, don't.

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#19]
/not sure if fent...
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#20]
BTT for update
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Watch out for these guys:

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Watch out for hydrogen sulfide and other deadly gasses, no signs of plant or animal life would be a clue.

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

http://i47.tinypic.com/dzxtaq.gif

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I've crept into some old coal mines. Bad air is called "black damp"
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#27]
New B.O.L.?
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Here's a straight down shot of a mine shaft about a half mile from my house.  It's about 75 feet to water and 4300 feet to the bottom.  Iron mine, closed in 1963.

And another of a different chamber in the same shaft.

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Bad air is rare but easy to detect. Bring a good bic lighter with you. Inside the cave, flick it. If you've got a normal looking flame, good to go. If the flame is extremely weak or hovers above the lighter, you've got bad air. I've been caving for years and have never encountered bad air.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/paulz463/DSCN0134.jpg

Here's a straight down shot of a mine shaft about a half mile from my house. It's about 75 feet to water and

4300 feet to the bottom. Iron mine, closed in 1963.

Holy hell.

That's where the demons come out from.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bad air is rare but easy to detect. Bring a good bic lighter with you. Inside the cave, flick it. If you've got a normal looking flame, good to go. If the flame is extremely weak or hovers above the lighter, you've got bad air. I've been caving for years and have never encountered bad air.

"Damps" are from coal country.  I believe black damp is the residual from blasting, but I'd have to look it up to be sure.  Never done much coal rescue.

Repeat after me.....Mines are not caves.  An exposed flame (or better, aflame safety lamp) isn't a bad idea, especially for caves where the most common problem is oxygen deficiency.  Exposed flames in old coal mines may lead to a methane explosion.   Other sources of "bad air" not typically found in caves

Hydrogen sulfide smells like rotten eggs at first.  At around 5ppm it will paralyze your sense of smell.  Death occurs soon after.
Carbon Monoxide due to the incomplete combustion of organics.  In high enough concentrations, it will cause instantaneous rigor mortis.
How about gases dissolved in the water?  You are fine going in but can't leave.

How is the ground?  Supported?  Sounded? Scaled? Any old powder or primers around?  What is the pH of the water?  What are the minerals?

Miners cut both vertical and horizontal openings.  To control ventilation, oldtimers may have thrown a piece of tin over a shaft.  Over the years dust and debris have settled on a now nearly rotten piece of metal that looks like the ground.  Don't worry, you probably won't feel anything after the first impact.

Do you really want to die in there?

In my experience, rescues of tourists in old mines are either body recoveries or the start of a new cemetary.

Again, stay out, stay alive.

SRM

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Being fairly shallow at the entrance, did either of you check for animal prints in the dirt?

Might be something sleeping in there, ya never know.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 10:29:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Being fairly shallow at the entrance, did either of you check for animal prints in the dirt?

Might be something sleeping in there, ya never know.

Nope, I think this cave just needs to be cleared of spiders and I have my own new clubhouse.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#34]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:

<snip>

blah, blah, blah.

</snip>

Go for it.  He's the kind of guy who tells you why it's bad to drink and drive and have sex without protection with cheap hookers.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#35]
can't believe no one noticed the creepy face yet...

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Here's a straight down shot of a mine shaft about a half mile from my house.  It's about 75 feet to water and 4300 feet to the bottom.  Iron mine, closed in 1963.

That's pretty cool. So they just leave it open like that?

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

That story scares the shit out of me

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 10:57:27 PM EDT
[#38]
There's some great line in the movie "Deep Blue Sea" about rich white people always coming up with new, completely unnecessary ways to get themselves killed.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

that's fuckin horrifying!

Image what is under all that water.....

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 11:04:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What the fuck happens, I cant finish reading it I'm a big baby
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 11:30:26 PM EDT
[#41]
As a fellow ARFCOMMER, I'm suprised noone has mentioned the most important thing about caving! Bring a gun with a flashlight! That way, if the creepy crawlers come to get ya, you've got some firepower to level the playing field. :D

ETA: After reading through the Ted the Caver story, all the pictures in this thread are way creepier than before. Do not want.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 12:31:55 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HOLY SHIT THAT WAS A FRIGGIN CREEPY READ! and it doesn't have any climax or ending? WTF! I get totally freaked out about the parts where the only movement through the tiny passages is pushing with his toes while letting the air out of his body to make it thinner! FUNK DAT! WOW, that was like a great Steven King novel. I sure would like to know what else happend.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 4:30:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's pretty cool. So they just leave it open like that?

No, it's capped with concrete.  But there is a 6" diameter pipe through the cap, I just stuck my camera through it and snapped a bunch of pics.  The bars on the upperleft of the picture are to the underground entrance coming from the old change house, its also blocked with a cinderblock wall.  I've been into that building a a few times since I was a kid and it's just too damn creepy for me.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

HOLY SHIT THAT WAS A FRIGGIN CREEPY READ! and it doesn't have any climax or ending? WTF! I get totally freaked out about the parts where the only movement through the tiny passages is pushing with his toes while letting the air out of his body to make it thinner! FUNK DAT! WOW, that was like a great Steven King novel. I sure would like to know what else happend.

Actually it's very much like an HP Lovecraft story.

Glad to see that Ted the Caver is back. It used to be hosted on its own domain and it expired a couple of years ago and disappeared.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Damps" are from coal country.  I believe black damp is the residual from blasting, but I'd have to look it up to be sure.  Never done much coal rescue.

Repeat after me.....Mines are not caves.  An exposed flame (or better, aflame safety lamp) isn't a bad idea, especially for caves where the most common problem is oxygen deficiency.  Exposed flames in old coal mines may lead to a methane explosion.   Other sources of "bad air" not typically found in caves

Hydrogen sulfide smells like rotten eggs at first.  At around 5ppm it will paralyze your sense of smell.  Death occurs soon after.
Carbon Monoxide due to the incomplete combustion of organics.  In high enough concentrations, it will cause instantaneous rigor mortis.

How is the ground?  Supported?  Sounded? Scaled? Any old powder or primers around?  What is the pH of the water?  What are the minerals?

Miners cut both vertical and horizontal openings.  To control ventilation, oldtimers may have thrown a piece of tin over a shaft.  Over the years dust and debris have settled on a now nearly rotten piece of metal that looks like the ground.  Don't worry, you probably won't feel anything after the first impact.

In my experience, rescues of tourists in old mines are either body recoveries or the start of a new cemetary.

SRM

That seems like sound advice, even for GD.....
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Caves can be very dangerous due to: cave ins, bad air, falling timbers, snakes, nasty people hiding stuff, water and silt leading to quicksand conditions.  Do not go alone.  You could be killed.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SRM

Way better said than mine.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 11:26:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Either that was a great prank, or holy fuck. Either way it was really creepy.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#49]
We used to have the paradise ice caves over here. I only viewed the main entrances sometime back in the 80's.

I went back later and they had a park ranger thug guarding the entrances. I'll bet they were pretty umm, "cool" to explore.

Link Posted: 2/8/2010 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#50]
I know where that cave is, just be careful. Mt. Peavine and it's foothills were mined extensively in the 1850's-1880's. A lot of the holes are just test burrows and not timbered, which make them even more dangerous.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top