Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#1]
So, what caliber for haunted amateur spelunking?
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Being fairly shallow at the entrance, did either of you check for animal prints in the dirt?

Might be something sleeping in there, ya never know.

Cardboard box at the entrance.

Bums or teenagers are the only animals sleeping there.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
or the black bear that ate the bum?
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, Ted the caver has freaked me out
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Whoa!

Not related, but what a blast from the past to see you post again.  Just to let you know, I have been using the official MallNinja.com mouse pad autographed by you and Gecko45 from the '02 BRC.  No kidding.  It's a bit funky now, but I still use it.

Oh, stay safe in there, btw.

-White Horse
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag for home

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, ted the caver story was creepy. I think I'm going to start carrying around five different light sources just in case.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#8]
five gallons of gasoline and a road flare would make that cave smokin'  

SW
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#9]
wheres VAcaver when you need him
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Is this anywhere near Vegas?  I'll be in Vegas over the weekend.........

SRM
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Definite tarp.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm going to do some Organic Chemistry Homework now to get my mind off of that story!

Btw I found a link w/pictures that work.

Ted the Caver
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm going to do some Organic Chemistry Homework now to get my mind off of that story!

Ted the Caver

I like the pics of him in the "tomb" portion. That's the part I could never do. Squeezing past some bushes or things I can knock over is one thing, solid rock is a whole different animal.

Link Posted: 2/8/2010 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Jeebus, the pic of him in that small area just gives me the creeps.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#15]
In for more creepy cave stories.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#16]
No.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 11:30:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm halfway through Ted the Caver, the very idea of being in a cave and wriggling through those spots freaks me out, not to mention the noises and stuff
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 1:30:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm halfway through Ted the Caver, the very idea of being in a cave and wriggling through those spots freaks me out, not to mention the noises and stuff

I'm on page 10 right now. Freaky as hell with the rock and the rope.

ETA: page 10 is the last page.. anyone know what happened.. Not meaning to hijack thread.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#19]
It's fake. They dug the hole and explored but past that, nothing happened.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 8:25:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've crept into some old coal mines. Bad air is called "black damp"

Bad air is rare but easy to detect. Bring a good bic lighter with you. Inside the cave, flick it. If you've got a normal looking flame, good to go. If the flame is extremely weak or hovers above the lighter, you've got bad air. I've been caving for years and have never encountered bad air.

This will also detect any methane gas.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 8:41:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bad air is rare but easy to detect. Bring a good bic lighter with you. Inside the cave, flick it. If you've got a normal looking flame, good to go. If the flame is extremely weak or hovers above the lighter, you've got bad air. I've been caving for years and have never encountered bad air.

This will also detect any methane gas.

lol, good point. Would certainly make the hike interesting.

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA: page 10 is the last page.. anyone know what happened.. Not meaning to hijack thread.

Its fiction, its meant to end where he says he'll be right back to update his explorations the next day. (or at least I think that's the logical ending, theres another place where someone else added a few more pages to the story) The actual caver did climb through that hole and all that, he added the screams and other parts to make it more of a thriller. I liked the format he used, kind of cool to follow his progress.

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its fiction, its meant to end where he says he'll be right back to update his explorations the next day. (or at least I think that's the logical ending, theres another place where someone else added a few more pages to the story) The actual caver did climb through that hole and all that, he added the screams and other parts to make it more of a thriller. I liked the format he used, kind of cool to follow his progress.

Bingo.  It's the internet version of Blair Witch.  It's been around for years.  Still fun to read.  I think there are several version.

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#24]
See, they didn't finish it....

The ending goes thus;

This is Ted's sister continuing the story.  Blah, blah, hired experienced cavers....blah blah, got to the bottom of the opening.  We inched our way to the opening of The Tomb.  Suddenly, we stopped, under what SHOULD have been the opening was a pile of equipment, but the Tomb's entry was SEALED.  Not just rock covered, but sealed over as if molten rock had been pounded into the opening.  A feeling of dread overtook us all.  At first it was just dicomfort, but in short time it progressed to nasueating terror.  I lunged forward and gathered up the pile of equipment and stuffed it into my back pack as we scrambled to the webbing, up the ropes & out of the opening.

Upon opening htepack we found the video camera, smashed beyond use and the tape shredded.  Suprisingly, the camera was in great condition.  As for Teb, Joe & B there was no other sign.  We pondered what had happened, we alerted the autorities who inspected the truck they left behind.  We had to resign ourselves to the fact that the men were in the Tomb when some bizzare rock slide occured, or the tunnel collapsed.  The crews worked for seven days, but each bore hole they made revealed NO cave - it was as if the void that was the cave had simply vanished.

A few days later, as we prepared the memorial service, a Police Officer knocked on the door.  He explained that they had finally developed the film in the camera.  The photos revealed cave stuff - the crystals, the strange round rock nad the additional opening.  Nothing special.  The the officer said;

"There is one more picture.  The last frame on the roll.  You should prepare your self."

TENSO!!!!!  
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Don't end up like Ted the caver

I'm a quarter way through that story and it's giving me the heebie jeebies.

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The "inactive account" photobucket links kinda add to it...
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 11:28:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, I found that out after reading it, that it was fiction. Awesome fiction though. Felt like I was there as I read along.

Any updates on the new found cave from the OP?
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Tag for later
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#29]
I bet it smells like urine in there.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Watch out for these guys:

http://i47.tinypic.com/dzxtaq.gif

Is that Gary Busey? lol

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 2:47:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Damps" are from coal country.  I believe black damp is the residual from blasting, but I'd have to look it up to be sure.  Never done much coal rescue.

Repeat after me.....Mines are not caves.  An exposed flame (or better, aflame safety lamp) isn't a bad idea, especially for caves where the most common problem is oxygen deficiency.  Exposed flames in old coal mines may lead to a methane explosion.   Other sources of "bad air" not typically found in caves

Hydrogen sulfide smells like rotten eggs at first.  At around 5ppm it will paralyze your sense of smell.  Death occurs soon after.
Carbon Monoxide due to the incomplete combustion of organics.  In high enough concentrations, it will cause instantaneous rigor mortis.
How about gases dissolved in the water?  You are fine going in but can't leave.

How is the ground?  Supported?  Sounded? Scaled? Any old powder or primers around?  What is the pH of the water?  What are the minerals?

Miners cut both vertical and horizontal openings.  To control ventilation, oldtimers may have thrown a piece of tin over a shaft.  Over the years dust and debris have settled on a now nearly rotten piece of metal that looks like the ground.  Don't worry, you probably won't feel anything after the first impact.

Do you really want to die in there?

In my experience, rescues of tourists in old mines are either body recoveries or the start of a new cemetary.

Again, stay out, stay alive.

SRM

Damn Good Advice Here!

and SRM, WTF is going on with your hand? Can we get a pic and story? That shit looks painfull.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ted the Caver

I like the pics of him in the "tomb" portion. That's the part I could never do. Squeezing past some bushes or things I can knock over is one thing, solid rock is a whole different animal.

So what happened to Ted?  i don't get it.

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ted the Caver

I just got one thing to say to Ted.

Thanks asshole, you woke the Balrog.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Is this anywhere near Vegas?  I'll be in Vegas over the weekend.........

SRM

Is Reno near Vegas?

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ted the Caver

I just got one thing to say to Ted.

Thanks asshole, you woke the Balrog.

This is correct. He went back the next day and got chased by something all the way to the entrance again.

He shouted "you shall not pass!", smote his cordless drill into the ground, then fell deep deep into the abyss, and was never heard from again.

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The "inactive account" photobucket links kinda add to it...

Oh, that's just great. I finished the story, and it's 11PM. Time to hit the sack.

Funny, I don't have problems with caves AT ALL. Creepy cave movies?
Yawn. That story REALLY got to me.

Assuming I actually get to sleep, I really look forward to the dreams I'm gonna have.

You're all assholes.

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 10:57:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Damps" are from coal country.  I believe black damp is the residual from blasting, but I'd have to look it up to be sure.  Never done much coal rescue.

Repeat after me.....Mines are not caves.  An exposed flame (or better, aflame safety lamp) isn't a bad idea, especially for caves where the most common problem is oxygen deficiency.  Exposed flames in old coal mines may lead to a methane explosion.   Other sources of "bad air" not typically found in caves

Hydrogen sulfide smells like rotten eggs at first.  At around 5ppm it will paralyze your sense of smell.  Death occurs soon after.
Carbon Monoxide due to the incomplete combustion of organics.  In high enough concentrations, it will cause instantaneous rigor mortis.
How about gases dissolved in the water?  You are fine going in but can't leave.

How is the ground?  Supported?  Sounded? Scaled? Any old powder or primers around?  What is the pH of the water?  What are the minerals?

Miners cut both vertical and horizontal openings.  To control ventilation, oldtimers may have thrown a piece of tin over a shaft.  Over the years dust and debris have settled on a now nearly rotten piece of metal that looks like the ground.  Don't worry, you probably won't feel anything after the first impact.

Do you really want to die in there?

In my experience, rescues of tourists in old mines are either body recoveries or the start of a new cemetary.

Again, stay out, stay alive.

SRM

Damn Good Advice Here!

and SRM, WTF is going on with your hand? Can we get a pic and story? That shit looks painfull.

My hand is fine, in fact, I am using it to type this.  I had a saw kick back and I grabbed the blade.  I took awhile to fix.

I will be in the Reno area late March, early April, but ever since valuejet you normally can't fly with O2 bottles at 3200 psi so I'll have to leave my rescue gear home.

SRM
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That story scares the shit out of me

What the fuck happens, I cant finish reading it I'm a big baby

Just finished it .  What happens to Ted?????

ETA: I realized the story was phony as soon as his picture of the heirogliphics "didn't turn out" but GOOD STORY!!! And good ending to it above, hehe.
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That story scares the shit out of me

What the fuck happens, I cant finish reading it I'm a big baby

Just finished it .  What happens to Ted?????

He never came back from the his last trip
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Collapsed ceiling ought to tell you to stay out. You wont hear it when it comes down from the ceiling.
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Caves can be very dangerous due to: cave ins, bad air, falling timbers, snakes, nasty people hiding stuff, water and silt leading to quicksand conditions.  Do not go alone.  You could be killed.

It's been a while since I've gone caving.  Went a dozen or more all-day explorations a number of years ago with an enthusiast that organized small group outings.  Good fun if you're careful.

Frankly, I don't go under unless we have four people, minimum.  That allows one person to stay with a serious injury while two go for help.  Never go anywhere alone.

Everyone takes at least three backup lights plus your head lamp, plus spare batteries for all.

And you tell someone when you go under and when you expect to come out.

(And I always carry a handgun!)

That Ted story was weird as hell.  I've NEVER detected anything below.  Hell, the bats are usually in hibernation when we go in the winter.

John
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Don't do it!!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Hope you enjoy, 56k eat deck.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2010 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Seems to me a guy could lose his entire gun collection in there, if he weren't careful.  Don't think anybody would ever find em either

Link Posted: 2/12/2010 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Seems to me a guy could lose his entire gun collection in there, if he weren't careful.  Don't think anybody would ever find em either

Except for the fact that he gave all a GPS map on the first page.

Wait, yeah, you're right.  He should hide them all there.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except for the fact that he gave all a GPS map on the first page.

Wait, yeah, you're right.  He should hide them all there.  

And ammo.  Don't forget the ammo.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 2/12/2010 3:30:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Like the "exploration weaponry" but just a piece of advice: firing a gun in an environment with solid walls to reflect the noise HURTS.

This has been a Public Service Announcement from the Tinnitus Awareness Foundation and your local station.

Lets just say I have some experience on that one .  We never fired any weapons in there, for obvious reasons.  But we did want them with us, that particular region is covered with old mines and it's well known that tweakers will set up cook operations inside them.  You don't want to be wandering around out there unarmed.  You also have to be careful when exploring the mines as well, because the cookers are known to booby trap the entrances to protect their operation.  Lets just say I have some experience with booby trapped caves as well.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top