[#1]
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
One of my favorites: 14.5" lightweight midlength in 1/7 twist

http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=12887

Are those some new tactical flip flops, and are feet/toes a requirement in ARFCOM photos of personal toys?

Those are Vibram shoes - for running, hiking, yard work, etc.  I highly recommend them.

And yes, unless an ARFCOMmer includes his feet in a picture of his guns, you should be suspicious.  He may just have downloaded the picture somewhere - like from an airsoft site or maybe from D.U.  

Did you ever put a different optic on your 14.5" middy, as you are being pressured to do?

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like CMMG ought to make a small production run every once in a while. I know every rifle I put together from here on out will have lightweight barrels. i absolutely loved my CMMG 16 inch lightweight midlength. i am trading my Sig P229 to get it back. I wont feel complete until it is back in my arms again.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Definitely. A 6 lb carbine makes sense. A friend has an OLD Colt pencil barrel AR that was pre-forward assist and shoots like a dream. someone compared them to a Mini14, which is like comparing a Pinto to a BMW.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a feeling we are going to see a lot of rifles with lightweight barrels and Magpul MOE handguards.

Simplicity, again.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 8:57:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 8:57:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#8]
this is what a proper AR barrel looks like
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#10]
My heavy barrel is in the machine shop being turned down right now.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No thanks. I like my standard bbls.

Same here, I will stick with HBARs or M4 profile barrels for a lightweight build. IMO that is one of the advantages of the AR design, you can have a heavy profile barrel and still have overall a lightweight rifle due to the weight of the rest of the parts. That is if you dont hang 50lbs of shit off of rails on the front end

All that said though if I had to carry the damn thing any distance I would rather have a pencil barrel
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
First i bought and Bushmaster XM-15E2 20" "A2" Profile, with the heavy barrel(On a Bushmaster when they say heavy barrel, they aren't shitting you like Colt does, it truly is heavy start to finish!) IT is reliable and accurate.

Then to be retro and because i think they are cool and the "CDI" factor, I bought and original Colt SP-1 with the vietnam profile and pencil thin barrel. With most ammo it is just as accurate as the bushmaster................................................UNTIL THE BARREL GETS WARM!!   However this is not a problem, since even when hot the barrel stays well within the accuracy requirements needed for combat accuracy. I never planned to use it as match target rifle anyway.

At normal combat ranges in a Semi only gun, you will not have any problems as it literally cannot fire fast enough for real "barrel whip" to occur and affect your outcome.

Besides the Pencil Barrels just balance better, hell i can fire my COLT like a handgun because the thin barrel kept it so light.

Maybe it's just me, but I like my rifle to stay on point even AFTER it gets hot. I shot a light-barreled AR and didn't like it. Barrel was whipping around like a fucking wet noodle. As far as I'm concerned there's a reason the military got away from it and I agree with them on this one. No Thanks on the pencil barrel for me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I have a CMMG 14.7" LW 1/7 "pencil barrel" from several years ago.

I wish I had a couple more.

Me too.

Group buy, anyone?

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=12887

How do you like that Elcan? Looks like it dwarfs the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Several manufacturers are ready to begin producing Lightweight AR barrels. Discuss.

Without reading the whole thread, who? And are they bare barrels with no front sight, or drilled for taper pins and include the front sight?

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
i want a 20 inch chrome lined one with 1 in 7 twist rifling. why is that so hard?

=1

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
i want a 20 inch chrome lined one with 1 in 7 twist rifling. why is that so hard?

Bushmaster does that in 16" 1/7 as a special order, carbine 4150 steel.  I have one.  Talk to Jason.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I woukld take one in 14.5 or 14.7.  Most of my AR's are fucking bricks.  I would like one lite-weight and really handy AR.  Thats what the gun was supposed to be in the first place.  With the popularity of FF rails I dont see why the pencil barrels arent more popular.

People are stupid and think heavier is better/more accurate.

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They had the barrel profile right the first time, A1.

This.  It's amazing how much Stoner got right.  First time around.

Hence why it is called "standard profile."

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Several manufacturers are ready to begin producing Lightweight AR barrels. Discuss.

Without reading the whole thread, who? And are they bare barrels with no front sight, or drilled for taper pins and include the front sight?

Daniel Defense makes your dream barrel

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I wish CMMG would bring back the lightweight mid-length barrels, those things were awesome for the money i have two of the 14.5"ers and love them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Daniel Defense makes your dream barrel
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Daniel%20Defense/14.5_HFP_FSB.jpg

Where can I get this?  I have to have it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I have two, a 6520 upper and a CMMG 16" lightweight midlength; I love 'em. I wouldn't make one my first choice for a battle rifle (barrels DO heat up quickly) but for something that's carried more than it's shot, they're great.

Plenty of them were used as battle rifles in Vietnam from Project AGILE in 1961 until the withdrawal of troops in 1975...

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I have two, a 6520 upper and a CMMG 16" lightweight midlength; I love 'em. I wouldn't make one my first choice for a battle rifle (barrels DO heat up quickly) but for something that's carried more than it's shot, they're great.

Plenty of them were used as battle rifles in Vietnam from Project AGILE in 1961 until the withdrawal of troops in 1975...

Yes, but I'd still rather have a heavier barrel.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I noticed something the other day. Remington is equipping its ARs with .680 barrels.

Personally I like the .625 “pencil” barrel and think a full .750 barrel is just too much for most uses. But, the .680 diameter, fluted 18” Remington I held seemed to be well balanced. Too bad it’s not chrome lined, 1/7 twist, and equipped with a flash hider.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:17:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Pencil barrels are nice for when you carry a lot and shoot a little.

Don't confuse "a little" with "not very often".  If you're shooting "not very often" but shooting a whole lot of rounds in a short period of time, then you are still going to need a heavier profile barrel.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a very nice a1 upper.  It just looks right and is a nice light carry rifle.  my hb weighs nearly 12lbs and 1/2 moa is nice, it does not go on hikes with me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Colt 11.5" Commando Parts Kit with permanent 5.5" flash hider for a legal 16", on a 6520 lower......

Pencil barrels FTMFW!

Do want!

I would have already bought the Bushmaster equivalent if it had a removable carry handle.

Sure it won't be visually correct, but would allow me to mount optics a little easier.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I like midweights, .850" under the handguards, .750" out front

everyone expects a "bolt action" gun to be heavy.....
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Don't confuse "a little" with "not very often".  If you're shooting "not very often" but shooting a whole lot of rounds in a short period of time, then you are still going to need a heavier profile barrel.  

For what? To increase your muscle fatigue?

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My old Colt 6520 is my favorite rifle.

+1

I'd like one in a flat top too.  The pencil barrel is probably my favorite barrel!
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My old Colt 6520 is my favorite rifle.

+1

I'd like one in a flat top too.  The pencil barrel is probably my favorite barrel!

It's coming as part of Colt Tactical's lineup.

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

My Mid-length HBAR from Rock River Arms is too heavy, IMHO. The damn thing feels like it weighs as much as my AK.

I'll even offer my RRA mid-length upper for a straight up trade for either a light-weight 16in upper, or an XM-177 semi-clone upper with a flat-top upper and the extended flash hider to make it legal.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Barrel life and reliability.

Hence the M4A1.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=984248&page=1

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

seriously.  let's say we're working at a carbine class at ranges of 5-150 yards and just mag dumped 300 rounds.  If, and that's a big if, our rifle's accuracy dropped 2 moa, does it really matter?

eta:  and mxpatriot, is semiauto fire ever going to stress a barrel in the fashion those m4a1 tests did?
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pencil barrels are the best thing since sliced bread when you're shooting at a carbine class (and I've yet to be at a class that shoots 'little').

Well that's the difference between a firefight and a carbine class.

It's not how many rounds you shoot in total, it's how many rounds in a short period of time you may need to shoot that will determine what barrel is best for you.  

Hence the M4A1.  

[div]

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/cmjohnson65/DSC_0059.jpg
I had this for a while.   Pristine Colt 604 upper still in the cosmoline when I got it.  Unfired.

I didn't have the heart to shoot it.   It was so nice I didn't want to be the first guy to put lead down that perfect pipe.

It had made it 40 years or more through history without being shot,  and I wasn't going to be the one who removed it

from "unfired"  and put it in the "used" category.

So I sold it off to a major player in the Class III world,  for a NICE price,  in the hopes that it will be paired

up with a pristine and correct matching lower,  to build a truly museum quality M16.

But pencil barrels shoot well and the rifle is light,  comfortable, and easy to handle.   I like them.

CJ

How in the hell did I miss your post.  

Very cool cmjohnson.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

seriously.  let's say we're working at a carbine class at ranges of 5-150 yards and just mag dumped 300 rounds.  If, and that's a big if, our rifle's accuracy dropped 2 moa, does it really matter?
eta:  and mxpatriot, is semiauto fire ever going to stress a barrel in the fashion those m4a1 tests did?

Not in that short of a period of time and to that catastrophic of a failure.

My point is that dependability and barrel life will be suffer if you hold a consistent volume of fire out of a pencil barrel for any considerable amount of time.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Barrel life and reliability.

Hence the M4A1.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=984248&page=1

Not many people - even IN the military shoot their M4s full-auto, especially to the extent of barrel failure.

My point is simple:

In a combat situation, even though I'll be carrying the rifle all day long every day, I don't want a pencil barrel because I don't want to be in a situation where I'm shooting off a lot of rounds in a short period of time and accuracy and dependability are going to start impeding my ability to fight.  

I don't want a bull barrel either - I think an M4 or M4A1 profile barrel is totally acceptable for a fighting rifle, and an SPR profile for a precision rifle.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#48]
My recent build.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#49]
My favorite rifle has is an XM177 clone with a 10.5 inch pencil bbl and moderator. I handles great! I once put an Aimpoint on it and i took it off because it ruined the balance. Pencils FTW!
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#50]

Can you mount a bayonet on a 14.5" middy w/extended FH?
Page / 6
Top Top