BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 47
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 6:30:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1911SFOREVER:
Gotta read this one every few weeks to keep my head straight.
View Quote

You should put it on the "links" page on your site.  Blitz's story is that important.

Link Posted: 2/21/2014 6:57:19 AM EDT
[#2]
holy shit why have I not seen this before
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 12:01:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#5]
OST
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 4:03:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MARINE-ORDIE] [#6]
I had a "civilians shouldn't carry guns" person read your story.  Their mind has been opened to say the least!
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By MARINEORDIE:

I had a "civilians shouldn't carry guns" person read your story.  Their mind has been opened to say the least!
View Quote

Just saw this (been off the computer most of the weekend).

Glad to hear it!

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#8]
BUMP
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 10:54:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bruins] [#9]

Wow. Good on you OP. Glad you're still with us.

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 10:58:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Blitz_308:

Glad to hear it!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Glad to hear it!

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn.. So late on this..

Crazy
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 1:55:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#12]
Blitz, thank you for sharing your experience. I carry everywhere I legally can and some friends think I'm a.bit OCD about it, even if though they also have their permits. I just got my permit two months ago and your story was very instructional.

Glad you've healed. Dude, you rock! :) I listened to the Ballistic.Radio interview last night.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By Marie:

Blitz, thank you for sharing your experience. I carry everywhere I legally can and some friends think I'm a.bit OCD about it, even if though they also have their permits. I just got my permit two months ago and your story was very instructional.

Glad you've healed. Dude, you rock! :) I listened to the Ballistic.Radio interview last night.

View Quote
So glad to hear it Marie!  

I'm not going to lie, I've got a special place in my heart for women shooters, especially ones who choose to carry a firearm and take it seriously. The majority of the ladies that have been in my CCW classes (and last time I checked, around 60% of my students are women) are fast learners and really are interested in being able to defend themselves. I guess maybe part of it is that some of them come in nervous or unsure about carrying and by the time we're finished,  they seem to have a different attitude about it or are more confident that they could make a difference in the outcome of a bad situation.

I obviously don't want anyone I know to have to go through what I did, but if they do, I hope that I've helped prepare them with their mindset.  Bonus points awarded if it's a woman that ends some criminal's career.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#14]
tag..
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#15]

I'm not going to lie, I've got a special place in my heart for women shooters, especially ones who choose to carry a firearm and take it seriously. The majority of the ladies that have been in my CCW classes (and last time I checked, around 60% of my students are women) are fast learners and really are interested in being able to defend themselves. I guess maybe part of it is that some of them come in nervous or unsure about carrying and by the time we're finished,  they seem to have a different attitude about it or are more confident that they could make a difference in the outcome of a bad situation.

I obviously don't want anyone I know to have to go through what I did, but if they do, I hope that I've helped prepare them with their mindset.  Bonus points awarded if it's a woman that ends some criminal's career.
View All Quotes

Well said!
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:20:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blitz_308] [#16]

Well said!
View All Quotes

Well said!
I got to thinking about it and was hoping that didn't come across as condescending towards women. I was just trying to say that i think women are every bit as capable of defending themselves as men and I enjoy seeing them realize it.

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Blitz, no, you didn't come across as condescending. It's still very strange, in some aspects, of being responsible for my own defense now. I live in Cook County and have carried several times in Chicago. The attitudes are mostly very anti here, but I suspect that even the authorities here would be less likely to rake a woman over the coals in a justified self defense shooting than a man.

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#18]
i like to look at this thread every now and then.

blitz it's and incredible story and thank you for sharing it. i really got to start carrying everywhere more often. i always have a knife, but it's not always enough.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll be taking the CCW class in a few months and hopefully I'll be carrying by this fall.

First time reader and thanks for sharing. Some things here that I can learn from.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By Ryan81:

I'll be taking the CCW class in a few months and hopefully I'll be carrying by this fall.

First time reader and thanks for sharing. Some things here that I can learn from.
View Quote
Good luck man. Hope you never need it.

Link Posted: 5/8/2014 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Mindset is very important, To be staring down the barrel of a hostile weapon and not giving up.
As I said when folks who have never stood the test were saying woulda coulda shoulda...
Blitz did what I hope EVERYONE would do.

I have had CCW holders tell me repeatedly that all they would have to do is point their gun at someone or show it to them and they would be left alone.
I teach what I am required to teach "Shoot to STOP" but I have to tell them during a break or after the class that what I mean when I say STOP is that that person is no longer a threat.
I do not mean to wound them I mean to put them OUT OF THE FIGHT.... and that MAY mean that they will not survive the encounter, but I want my students to be the one to survive.

I have them time and again say they just don't know what they would do, I don't think I could shoot someone.... I generally tell them to not bother then.
Most have never been tested like this but you never KNOW what you are going to do until you do it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Been looking for this and tripped over it.
Bump for others that haven't seen it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I have jumped around in this thing several times and I re-read it like a favorite book.

I am so glad the good guy won and hope your hands don't give you problems in the future .

As to the gun you got back after the trial. Your choice and all but to me it only seems right to buff it up a bit , check it carefully for operation and carry it . So  what it has a couple of stains or rough spots . They were earned in good service . Personally (because I am sometimes a bit of a sick fella ) I wouldn't even try to buff it up much
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 3:10:40 AM EDT
[#24]
I show this thread to people who won't carry with one in the pipe... it usually opens their eyes!

- Clint
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By nhsport:

I have jumped around in this thing several times and I re-read it like a favorite book.

I am so glad the good guy won and hope your hands don't give you problems in the future .

As to the gun you got back after the trial. Your choice and all but to me it only seems right to buff it up a bit , check it carefully for operation and carry it . So  what it has a couple of stains or rough spots . They were earned in good service . Personally (because I am sometimes a bit of a sick fella ) I wouldn't even try to buff it up much
View Quote
Thanks guys. Always makes me feel good to hear that some good has come out of this.

Regarding the 1911, I just cleaned it up really well and didn't worry about any character marks. Reminds me, I need to check up on the status of the revolver and see if they still think I can end up with it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 4:13:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OnlytheTip] [#26]
It should go in a shadow box. Us military Vets usually have one, sometime in life. You survived combat, period. It wasn't on the battle field of some war torn foreign country, it was in the concrete jungle, and in my book that makes you a Veteran of combat. I am ever so glad you told your story, I however am not glad it had to happen at all. Give that 1911 a ceremonial retirement and a case it deserves, it saved your life.
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#27]
WOW.  My heart is pounding after reading this, and I have read it before.  For some reason it was very upsetting to read it again today!

Amazing story, very glad you are alright, very glad the POS won't see the light of day as a free man ever again, and very glad you managed to return fire and ruin his hand.  The pic of his hand mangled and ventilated actually made me grin.

Thank you for sharing your story in such graphic detail as well as providing pics.  Once again, good job!
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By Tankdawg0057:

why have I not seen this before
View Quote
you are not alone!

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 8:14:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Wow.  Just wow.   Good on you OP.   puts things wuickly ito perspective!
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 10:50:34 AM EDT
[#30]
This is a hell of a read. Glad you're ok! Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Read it before, and just reread it.  

Glad the OP is ok.  

Reminds us all to keep up practice as you never know when you will need to use your carry piece.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Blitz,

Just read your story and not sure how I missed it but I did. So glad that you're recovered and the shitbag is in a box, just wish it was box underground but either way, you came out on top and that's what matters. Thanks for sharing your story and photos, very much appreciated. So glad you're still with us.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Many of you have asked me some great questions concerning the incident I was in last October (2009) and expressed interest in the whole story.  Well, after talking to the prosecuting attorney, I was told that for interviews and such, just stick to the facts, so here goes...This is a long read so bear with me please.

Back story:  Several friends and I meet on Tues nights at the office of a few lawyers here in town for the purpose of social interaction, maybe have a couple drinks, a good cigar and good conversation.  I had missed the last couple meetings leading up to the one on Oct. 13 but promised the guy who organized the group that I would be showing up for this one.  Well, I forgot and was watching TV while the wife was helping one of my sons with a science project on electricity and circuits.  They couldn't get the thing to work so I got volunteered to go to Wal-Mart to get a new light bulb and battery.

On the way to Wal-Mart, I realized/remembered that I had removed my gun/holster earlier that day to go to the gym at lunch time and laid it on my desk.  I debated with myself for a minute about whether or not to spend the extra 10 minutes to run down to the office to arm myself against the masses there at 9:30 at night.  Common sense prevailed and I made the extra stop and was on my way.  (Crucial turning point #1 of the night)

I got to Wally World and had just collected my items when the cell phone rang.  For whatever reason, the first thing that popped in my head was "Oh shit, this is Tues night and I bet it's my buddy calling me to see where I'm at.  It turned out that it was my wife who told me that they had gotten the current bulb and battery to work and that I didn't need to bring new ones home.  I told her about having forgotten my promise to join up with the Tues night guys and checked with her to make sure it was ok if I just headed on over there.  She was fine with it and so I put my stuff back and headed over to the buddy's office.

When I got to the lawyer's office, there were five of my friends outside having a drink, enjoying their cigars and talking in the carport area on the left side of the building.  I said hi to them and asked where Brian was.  They said he was inside in his office, so I went in and we bull shitted for the next half hour or so.  We decided that we should probably go back out and join the rest of the guys and headed out the door.

We were out there for maybe a minute when a guy walked up to our group after appearing from around the corner of the building (not uncommon to have the neighbors come by and chat as there are also houses and apartments in this area) wearing a hooded sweatshirt with the hood up and drawn tight and a scarf or balaclava covering everything but his eyes.  Not too uncommon, as it was rather cold and rainy that night.  What was uncommon was that he was holding a stainless steel revolver at his side.  At first I thought it was a joke that one of the guys had set up.  I asked "Can we help you?"  I can't remember exactly what he said as he raised the revolver up and pointed it at the group of us, except for him telling us to drop whatever we had in our hands and something along the lines of "this is a robbery."  He told us that we were going inside and that if any of us made a move, he would shoot us.  I was the last person to walk up the two steps of the side door into the conference room and evidently wasn't moving fast enough for him.  He put the muzzle in my back and was pushing me forward telling me to hurry up.  In my infinite wisdom, I turned my head toward him and told him to quit shoving me, that I couldn't go any faster than the guy in front of me.  In my head, almost like a mantra, there was an alarm going off saying "This is why you carry, this is why you carry this is why you carry."

Once we were inside, he told us to get on the floor face down, on the other side of the conference table.  When he made us lay down, I picked the point farthest away from him, hoping to buy some time before he got to me. Once he had us down, he instructed us to take out our wallets, watches, jewelry, etc. He was distracted for just a couple seconds when he was getting one of our guys up to carry the plastic bag. Under the guise of getting my wallet out, I very carefully, while watching him the whole time, removed the 1911 from the IWB holster and hid it under my chest.  He was keeping a close watch on us almost the entire time and always had the revolver either on someone or pointed directly at someone.  I was watching for it and I really did not have an earlier opportunity for a shot without risking my friends' lives further or creating a hostage situation, which I would have been ill equipped to handle.

For whatever reason, maybe because I mouthed off to him earlier, I don't know, but he only collected from one or two people before walking back to where I was.  He saw that I did not have a wallet or anything waiting for him and while standing over me, pulled my leather jacket and shirt up to take my wallet from my back pocket.  That is when he found my Milt Sparks IWB holster, now devoid of a firearm.  He said something to the effect of "Well well well, what do we have here?  Where's the gun?"  I told him I didn't have it on me.  He repeated the question and said that I wouldn't have a holster if there was no gun.  I swore that I didn't have it on me and that I'd left it in my vehicle since I might have a drink or two while I was there.  He didn't believe me and told me to get up.  He decided to assist me by grabbing onto my jacket with his left hand and pull me up.  As I pushed myself up as well, I slid my hands under my chest to grab my pistol.

When he pulled me up, he was at my 5 O'clock position. I was still trying to keep him from seeing my gun until I was able to turn into him, so when I came up, I basically had my right hand (holding the pistol) tight to my stomach/chest with the muzzle pointed in the direction of my left shoulder. I don't know why I did that, except to conceal it and maybe so he couldn't take it away from me. I started turning to my right, into him, flipping the safety at some point along the way. He either saw the gun or heard the safety click as I had turned into him enough for him to be at my 3 O'clock and shoved his revolver inside my open jacket against my stomach and fired the first round. Luckily, his angle was off and it only grazed my stomach. Unluckily, I had my left hand tucked against my left side and the round passed through my palm and out the base of my thumb at my wrist.

I continued turning toward him while lowering my pistol to return fire, which evidently put the right hand directly in the line of fire as he squeezed off another round. I can only assume that my hand blocked the shot from hitting my stomach or chest as we were practically face to face at that point. It took me just a second to recover and he started retreating toward the door, backing away from me and shooting. I got two shots off as he was backing away, both missing him. I had the little problem with the next round not going off, thinking I had a jam, I ducked behind the table to clear the gun and yelled for everyone to stay down.  I looked down and saw how bad my hands were as I cleared the round out, and stood back up to continue fire. (Looking back on it, I think I realized that I wasn't getting a good grip due to the screwed up hand and neglected to engage the grip safety)  He had his back to the door by now and we exchanged a couple more shots (which is when I scored my hit and near miss) until his revolver hit on spent rounds. I will NEVER forget that. There were three clicks. He realized he was out of ammo and was out the door before I could get another shot off. Even in the heat of the moment, I did not attempt to shoot him in the back or pursue him.

I don't know how I retained the gun after being hit in the strong hand, just as I don't know how I made my hands work to clear the round. I just did. It was a combination of adrenaline, survival instinct and the grace of God.  I was completely on automatic. The threat was still there and I couldn't stop until it was gone. One of the other guys finally jumped up after the BG went out the door and locked it so he couldn't reload and come back in. I remember seeing him lock the door and finally sat down on the floor, laid my gun down and started looking at the blood pouring out of my hands. A few of the other guys came over to help me and apply pressure to the wounds while another called 911. I made them repeat to me a few times that everyone else was ok and that no one else had been hit. One of the guys that had been there, told me that it was almost scary how lucid and calm that I stayed the entire time while we waited for the ambulance to arrive.  It was also discovered at this time that I'd been shot right above my left pectoral muscle.  I don't even recall when that happened.

I'm probably repeating myself from the other posts I've made, in saying this, but it was very surreal and real all rolled into one at the same time. In reality, the whole exchange from the first shot probably didn't last more than 30-40 seconds. I'm only saying that long because of the time I took clearing the chamber. It may have still been less than that. From start to finish, meaning when the guy showed up outside to the time when he left took almost exactly 7 minutes.

There you have it.  If you've got questions, I'll do my best to answer them.  I didn't post this to be a look at me or I'm a bad ass or anything else.  I just thought that if anyone could benefit in even the smallest way from my incident and possibly help, then I would like to turn a shitty encounter into a positive thing.

God Bless you all and thank you so much for the support that you've shown me and my family since this first happened.  I couldn't ask for a better group of people to call my extended family and friends.

Justin

ETA Link to original thread with pics, etc.  http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=984615

Links to pics for those without archive abilities per request.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/nascar3n8fan/Stomachgraze-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/nascar3n8fan/Lefthandentry.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/nascar3n8fan/Leftwristexit.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/nascar3n8fan/Righthandentry.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/nascar3n8fan/Rightarmexit.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/nascar3n8fan/righthandarm.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/nascar3n8fan/ChestEntry.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/nascar3n8fan/Armexit.jpg

7-21-10 Edit.  I guess I should put updates here, as well when I bump this so people don't have to go looking for them.  
Council status hearing occurred on 7-6-10 and the trial has been set for 9-13-10.
Also found out from one of the other people there that they heard me flip safety as I was drawing/hiding the gun under me.

8/19/10 Update.  Received subpoena for court on 9/13/2010.

9/9/10 Update.  Trial postponed/continued AGAIN until 12/13/10.

11-27-10 Update.  Another postponement for the trial.  Now 1-10-11.  Sigh....

1-11-11 Update - Criminal Trial over today.  

1st Degree Assault - GUILTY

1st Degree Robbery - GUILTY

1st Degree Armed Criminal Action - GUILTY

Unlawful Possession of a Firearm (Felon in Possession) - GUILTY

It took the jury less than an hour of deliberation (and that included their time to eat lunch) to bring back a Guilty verdict on all four counts.  Huge weight lifted off my shoulders.

The defense has 25 days to appeal the trial on technicalities and at that time (assuming the request is denied) a sentencing hearing will be set.  Looks like approximately 45 days from now.

4-18-11 Update.  Sentencing hearing set for morning of May 4.

5-4-11 Update  
First count- Life (30) years
Second count - 25 years
Third count - 10 years
Fourth count - 10 years

75 years total and here's the thing, the sentences are to run CONSECUTIVELY.  

View Quote

I live in Jefferson City and I remember when this happened. Glad to see everything was cool in court.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I read and re-read this on occasion, and let me be the umpteenth person to say "thank you" for posting this.

I can't remember exactly how your phrased it, but something to the effect of "It's not how I imagined a gunfight would happen". That really struck me. I carry when I work, and I carry when I don't. I practice when I can, remain as situationally-aware as realistically possible, try to keep my head in the game...yet still wonder how I would ACTUALLY react if it would happen to me. I don't think anything can prepare a person until they go through it, I imagine.

Link Posted: 5/29/2014 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

What episode number/date on the Ballistic podcast?
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By Laramie:
View All Quotes

Sorry it took me a bit. Was getting ready for and driving to Cola Warrior.

Link Posted: 5/30/2014 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Here you go. http://ballisticradio.com/2013/11/18/podcast-ballistic-radio-episode-36-november-17-2013/

View All Quotes

Here you go. http://ballisticradio.com/2013/11/18/podcast-ballistic-radio-episode-36-november-17-2013/

Great thanks!
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Man, I just found this.  I wasn't even aware that this happened until I got to meet you at CW.  Crazy.  I'm very grateful everything worked out the way it did, you have an awesome son and I can only assume the rest of your family is as well.  

My question, is the guy in your avatar the BG in this incident?
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By slowmethinks:

Man, I just found this.  I wasn't even aware that this happened until I got to meet you at CW.  Crazy.  I'm very grateful everything worked out the way it did, you have an awesome son and I can only assume the rest of your family is as well.  

My question, is the guy in your avatar the BG in this incident?
View Quote
Thanks man.  I'm very proud of all of them.  Hopefully, you'll get to meet the second son at the next CW.

Yeah, my avatar is the douche bag being loaded up into the ambulance.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Bump
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Same here except I got my permit to carry a little over a year ago. Also op's story is EXACTLY why I carry a back up gun. In case my primary fails or I am injured and cannot operate it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Wow OP. I remember reading your thread before, just saw it again.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Bump to keep this out of the archives.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Friends just sent this to me, thanks for sharing OP. Way to fight and glad you and your buddies made it out.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 9:17:15 AM EDT
[#45]
First time I saw this. My heart was pounding when I read it.

Glad you are ok. Think I will get my CCW.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Always worth re-reading.

Glad you made it out (mostly) okay there, OP
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Just wanted to bring this back and glad that everything worked out, all things considered.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for that
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Due to my recent application for ccw permit I've been doing a lot of reading on defensive situations.

Looked this up due to the reference in the "Street robberies and you - the basics" thread

Very interesting and informative, have shared it with a bunch of others.

Glad to hear you are doing well Blitz and all the best for the future!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Has it messed with your mind at all? Any long term mental effects or just another day.

once again congrats if your ever in KS beers on me
Page / 47
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top