Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/1/2010 7:34:58 PM EDT

The second Lockheed Martin F-35B short takeoff/vertical landing stealth fighter arrives at the Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Md., test site on Dec. 29. Maj. Joseph T. "O.D." Bachmann piloted the aircraft nonstop from Lockheed Martin's Fort Worth, Texas, plant to Patuxent River, successfully completing aerial refueling en route.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]
How many total F-35s have been built yet?
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#2]
God, she is so much better looking than the runner-up:

-p.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/phuzzygnu/x32.jpg

-p.

Wheres the weapon bays?
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#4]
That is a sexy badass looking aircraft.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

-p.

Looks like a middle age, pot bellied, F16.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The Boeing competitor is hands down the ugliest aircraft to ever be seriously considered for military service.   Make no mistake,  that played

against it.  It would have played against it if it had been slightly superior to the X-35 in every way.

You've gotta impress the judges.

CJ

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 8:00:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Thread with link to larger image - http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=977331

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Boeing competitor is hands down the ugliest aircraft to ever be seriously considered for military service.   Make no mistake,  that played
against it.  It would have played against it if it had been slightly superior to the X-35 in every way.

You've gotta impress the judges.

CJ

Aesthetics matter, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quite possible the most ghastly looking fighter aircraft ever built.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#10]
It turned out to be a damn good looking aircraft.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Really? It's not all that different from the A-7 Corsair or F-8 Crusader. High wings a low under slung intake don't keep showing up for shits and giggles, ya know.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How many total F-35s have been built yet?

None.

The aircraft produced so far are "test articles" (prototype), there are supposed to be 15 or 17 test articles built.
They do not have BUNO's (Navy and Marines) or Serial Numbers (USAF) assigned to them, so technically they are not "F-35" aircraft.
The tail number is BF-02, that's the second F-35B test bird.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

But unfortunately it's only mediocre at best in performance.  A jack of all trades, master of none, similar to the F18.   Bring back the F14, F15, F16.  Each of them is superior at its task.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#14]
The F-35 flight test program is so far behind schedule I seriously doubt that they will be able to get within two years of their planned IOC date. BF-1 still hasn't made a vertical landing except for on the hover pit. I'll bet nearly anything that the F-35 breaks Nunn-McCurdy in the first half of 2010.

Actually, the program might become the biggest failure in defense acquisition history unless things start to drastically change. If that does happen what's plan B? Reopen the F-22 line and new build F-16s? Accelerate UCAS-N for the Navy? It's a scary thought.

There is about to be a huge industrial sustainment issue in aerospace, there are no warplanes currently be designed, we're down to essentially one large aircraft manufacturer. I worry that when the time comes to develop the fighter to replace the F-22 we will have lost the ability to do so.

Edited to add:

Apparently it took BF-2 3.4 hours to fly approximately 1080 nautical miles, which give an average cruise speed of 310 knots. Well shy of the 470 knot cruise speed on the spec sheet. Also BF-2 rendezvoused with two tankers en route? Can you say performance shortfall?
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

-p.

Isn't exactly the sexiest aircraft either.

But I'm told it's quite good at it's job.

Ugly chics can give pretty good BJ's ya know.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Are any C models flying yet?
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are any C models flying yet?

No, the Navy is allowing LM to develop the F-35C last so they can keep buying Super Hornets.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The F-35 flight test program is so far behind schedule I seriously doubt that they will be able to get within two years of their planned IOC date. BF-1 still hasn't made a vertical landing except for on the hover pit. I'll bet nearly anything that the F-35 breaks Nunn-McCurdy in the first half of 2010.

Actually, the program might become the biggest failure in defense acquisition history unless things start to drastically change. If that does happen what's plan B? Reopen the F-22 line and new build F-16s? Accelerate UCAS-N for the Navy? It's a scary thought.

There is about to be a huge industrial sustainment issue in aerospace, there are no warplanes currently be designed, we're down to essentially one large aircraft manufacturer. I worry that when the time comes to develop the fighter to replace the F-22 we will have lost the ability to do so.

Edited to add:

Apparently it took BF-2 3.4 hours to fly approximately 1080 nautical miles, which give an average cruise speed of 310 knots. Well shy of the 470 knot cruise speed on the spec sheet. Also BF-2 rendezvoused with two tankers en route? Can you say performance shortfall?

the Marine variant is also a pig with extra moving parts sapping power

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Edited to add:

Your post is putting a shiver up my spine.

With President-What-Comes-After-Trillions? in office, I wonder if he's gonna shitcan the F-35 project? Maybe keep the existing F-22 without expansion, and attempt to reduce operation-time (to keep down wear and tear) on the remaining F-16s and F-15s - we could be looking at a real reduction in both readiness and long-term capability in our aviation branches of the services.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? It's not all that different from the A-7 Corsair or F-8 Crusader. High wings a low under slung intake don't keep showing up for shits and giggles, ya know.

No, the A7 had a little F8 in it. This thing looked like seething vomitous mass. The old aviation axiom that said, "if it looks right, it is right" follows this one, too. Good thing the DOD canceled it. I'd have hated to have this thing as a symbol of American aviation, cough, greatness.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Well, you can only go 250 knots below 10k' per FAA rules.  And we normally don't go blasting around at full speed all the time (even full cruise speed)... sometimes, we're trying to pad our logbooks

The data you posted does not say a damn thing about it's actual performance.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

-p.

http://globalmanufacturingtech.com/images/a10_pic.jpg

I dont know why every one thinks the A-10 is ugly, i think they look badass.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Quoted:

-p.

Wheres the weapon bays?

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the A7 had a little F8 in it. This thing looked like seething vomitous mass. The old aviation axiom that said, "if it looks right, it is right" follows this one, too. Good thing the DOD canceled it. I'd have hated to have this thing as a symbol of American aviation, cough, greatness.

Was an A7 just a shortened subsonic F8?
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#25]
That Boeing F32(?) sure was ugly - but I bet if they had built it without the vertical takeoff mumbo jumbo it would have made a cheap and effective CAS aircraft. It reminds me of the A7 or the Skyhawk. Supposedly Boeing was going to make the top of both wings out of one big piece of composite - that would have been strong as sh*t!
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Bullllll shit, it was a good looking plane. Especially the production model.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edited to add:

Your post is putting a shiver up my spine.

With President-What-Comes-After-Trillions? in office, I wonder if he's gonna shitcan the F-35 project? Maybe keep the existing F-22 without expansion, and attempt to reduce operation-time (to keep down wear and tear) on the remaining F-16s and F-15s - we could be looking at a real reduction in both readiness and long-term capability in our aviation branches of the services.

At this point, I'd be very surprised if he does. Unlike the F-22, there are many other countries who have invested millions into the Lightning II, and have orders in and would be utterly pissed if Obama pulls out US funding.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This.  That shit just looks cool as hell.

Someone, please tell me more planes are going to get that color scheme?
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#29]

I disagree - I think it looked better as a tailless delta. It would have been much cheaper to build as a tailless delta too.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Although the Boing version looked like crap, the one thing they DID have going for it, was ease of production. Boing had the entire thing designed with high production rates in mind. The thing was designed to be easily buildable and they had the facilities to do it also.

The f35 sure looks sweet, but no matter how pretty it is, if they cant get it to work right, and they cant make them, its worthless. At least the F22 keeps its promise of performance. They should shit can the F35 and make F16's, F18's and A10 thunderbolts. The Warthog is THE best CAS jet ever made, made to take a beating and fly home safe.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I disagree - I think it looked better as a tailless delta. It would have been much cheaper to build as a tailless delta too.

I'm not dissing the pelican tail, but I think the four poster tail was more practical.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Although the Boing version looked like crap, the one thing they DID have going for it, was ease of production. Boing had the entire thing designed with high production rates in mind. The thing was designed to be easily buildable and they had the facilities to do it also.

The F35 will have parts built in what, 8 or so countries? I can't see how that would work in a protracted conflict.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

-p.

It's funny you put it that way –– the Boeing competitor was referred to as "Monica" because of it's large open-mouthed look.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#34]
I used to live up the river from Pax. Sure would be cool to be out on the boat running a trout line and see/hear that thing blast by!!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 9:11:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

The f35 sure looks sweet, but no matter how pretty it is, if they cant get it to work right, and they cant make them, its worthless. At least the F22 keeps its promise of performance. They should shit can the F35 and make F16's, F18's and A10 thunderbolts. The Warthog is THE best CAS jet ever made, made to take a beating and fly home safe.

The F-35 is in certain ways more advanced than the F-22. Besides it's a better plane than our legacy aircraft. There is no reason to shit can it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  That shit just looks cool as hell.

Someone, please tell me more planes are going to get that color scheme?

Isn't that the same scheme as an F15E?
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The F-35 is in certain ways more advanced than the F-22. Besides it's a better plane than our legacy aircraft. There is no reason to shit can it.

Are the range issues getting worked out?
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Didja know that the procurement folks nicknamed this the 'Monica'?  The reason is that the air intake reminded them of a certain Whitehouse intern who gained some notoriety around the same time this plane was being pitched to the government.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are the range issues getting worked out?

Kinda... The F-35 already carries a decent amount of internal fuel. If more fuel is needed there are 480lbs drop tanks which can handle supersonic flight. The F-35 might be able to handle 600lbs tanks, but I've not read or heard anything about those being compatible with the bird. I have heard talk of conformal fuel tanks being considered, but I kinda doubt those will be implemented or developed for decades.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, you can only go 250 knots below 10k' per FAA rules.  And we normally don't go blasting around at full speed all the time (even full cruise speed)... sometimes, we're trying to pad our logbooks

I had, of course, forgotten this, as us rotary-winged types tend to fly @ max cruise all the time.

Mostly because max cruise on a helo and top speed (and top speed of a Chevy Chevette) are all one and the same thing.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But unfortunately it's only mediocre at best in performance.  A jack of all trades, master of none, similar to the F18.   Bring back the F14, F15, F16.  Each of them is superior at its task.

Oooh....that is just asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 10:09:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Rumor has it Israel is going to buy a ton of these. I have a buddy in WA that makes parts for the nosecone and he seems convinced. dunno ... I like the fat thing
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

-p.

you do you know why?.............because they have to!

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 10:15:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But unfortunately it's only mediocre at best in performance.

You are not qualified to make that assertion.  If you were, you wouldn't be making it (because that conclusion would be based on classified information).  

A jack of all trades, master of none, similar to the F18.   Bring back the F14, F15, F16.  Each of them is superior at its task.

That would be incorrect.  

The F-14 was a fantastic aircraft in its time.  It's days are long past, and it was retired for good reason.  The Super Hornet is better in every respect (that means anything in the tactical world) than the F-14.

The F-15 is an awesome aircraft, but it, too is getting long in the tooth.  The F-35 is a dramatic improvement over the F-15 and the F-16 in many many ways.  

The aircraft of yesteryear are not superior in ANY way to the F-35.  That's as much as I'm going to say about that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought that was only in controlled airspace or within X miles of a towered airport. Can't remember which. Guess I was wrong.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 10:28:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-p.

I'll take that fat chick any day.  badass airplane.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 10:29:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought that was only in controlled airspace or within X miles of a towered airport. Can't remember which. Guess I was wrong.

If you are below 10k' MSL, you must be less than 250 knots indicated airspeed.
If you're under class B airspace, you must be 200 knots or less indicated airspeed (if you're IN the Class B, you can be 250 knots).
If you're outside those, you can go as fast as you want... as long as you don't break the number (Mach).
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-p.

you do you know why?.............because they have to!

Agreed.  Fat chics fall into that category too, but I've managed to avoid that scenario, regardless of the rumors.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hell, I have seen several .mil planes do over 250 below 10.  some pretty damn close to boot
 always fun to watch though

I can understand wanting to pad the logbook, most guys get what...200-300 hours a year?

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

hell, I have seen several .mil planes do over 250 below 10.  some pretty damn close to boot  always fun to watch though

well... uh.... I don't... uh.... know anything about... that.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top