Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw one this year at the air show with its wing damn near touching the ground in a tight turn....AWESOME to say the least.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#2]
There are at least two of us  here at arfcom that most likely had the chance to stand in front of that very plane when it was loaded with Nukes. Wonder why it doesn't have "EL" on the tail?

Correction, make that three of us.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
B-1B SN 86-0121 "Symphony of Destruction" 37th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB SD

Current nose art:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3260/3178607900_ceb125789d.jpg

Try again.  It's 86-0097, Iron Eagle nose art in the pic.

GIJoe...gotcha. To me it looked like Symphony. Do you have a close up of the nose art for Iron Eagle?

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Used to live 1/4 mile from the runway in Grand Forks when the Bone was there.  Couldn't keep pictures straight on the wall, and we had to leave rattle space between the glasses in our cupboards––when those things took off, it would shake the entire house and we lost a glass or two before we figured it out.  Always fun when they'd do a high-speed pass and set off every car alarm on base.  

If you liked that picture, there's plenty more here.

When were you living near GFAFB?  I was on base as a kid from 82 to 86 and in EGF from 86 to 90.  Man that base is an absolute shell of what it once was.....   I remember when the Buff had radar controlled quad 50's and the Strike pad was full of armed and ready aircraft,  I also remember when the B-1B's started being used there.  hell it was never ending fun.....  B1's,  B52's,  Kc-135's, c-130's,  t-38's,  f-5's and helos all buzzing around base.   now the ramp is almost empty.

I was there for three weeks in the summer of 1987 (when they had the flight line all ripped up to upgrade the infrastructure from B52s to B1s), then from 1989-1994.  I was in the missile wing, though.  Lived on base on Hawaii St (around January, we always chuckled at the irony of that name...)

My oldest was born there, and when he was 2-3 years old, we'd walk to the flight line and watch them take off and land.

Trivia:  the flames from the afterburners are about 150 ft long, and at dusk on a clear day, you can see them for about 50 miles.  

ETA:  This is what I'm talking about ....

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/091021-F-2501B-913.jpg

I worked Delta, Golf, Lima and Oscar most of the time from 1990-1992. (Pulled two B-1 Alerts when they were short cops, and needed guys who had previous Nuke cert and could pull Close In Sentry duties)  
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Used to live 1/4 mile from the runway in Grand Forks when the Bone was there.  Couldn't keep pictures straight on the wall, and we had to leave rattle space between the glasses in our cupboards––when those things took off, it would shake the entire house and we lost a glass or two before we figured it out.  Always fun when they'd do a high-speed pass and set off every car alarm on base.  

When were you living near GFAFB?  I was on base as a kid from 82 to 86 and in EGF from 86 to 90.  Man that base is an absolute shell of what it once was.....   I remember when the Buff had radar controlled quad 50's and the Strike pad was full of armed and ready aircraft,  I also remember when the B-1B's started being used there.  hell it was never ending fun.....  B1's,  B52's,  Kc-135's, c-130's,  t-38's,  f-5's and helos all buzzing around base.   now the ramp is almost empty.

I was there for three weeks in the summer of 1987 (when they had the flight line all ripped up to upgrade the infrastructure from B52s to B1s), then from 1989-1994.  I was in the missile wing, though.  Lived on base on Hawaii St (around January, we always chuckled at the irony of that name...)

My oldest was born there, and when he was 2-3 years old, we'd walk to the flight line and watch them take off and land.

Trivia:  the flames from the afterburners are about 150 ft long, and at dusk on a clear day, you can see them for about 50 miles.  

I worked Delta, Golf, Lima and Oscar most of the time from 1990-1992. (Pulled two B-1 Alerts when they were short cops, and needed guys who had previous Nuke cert and could pull Close In Sentry duties)  

I was a 446th guy, primary site was Delta and Charlie my first two years, so we more than likely worked with each other!

Proving the small world theory, yet again.  Which did you prefer––flight line or missile field duty?  (I think I know the answer...)
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#6]
It's probably not as loud, but I once saw a U-2 take off and I could hear it longer than any other.  I swear I could still hear it five minutes later.  I know I could hear it long after I lost sight of it.  Maybe it's just slow, and wasn't really that far away.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#7]
b1 or b1b
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#8]
+ 1
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#9]
B-1B
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And the B-1 that tipped that F-16 was at IDLE!!!  

Actually it had just powered up to line up on the runway. I was there and I know the guy that video taped it (he is retired now). We literally worked out of a old alert building at the EOR of that base (Eielson AFB). We got a big laugh out of that one. As you can tell the individual filming it didn't even realize that a F16 tipped over till after words. It took a while to un-tip that F16.

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was a 446th guy, primary site was Delta and Charlie my first two years, so we more than likely worked with each other!

Proving the small world theory, yet again.  Which did you prefer––flight line or missile field duty?  (I think I know the answer...)

when it was good, 3 days on, 4 days off Missile Field duty was the shizzle.  You remember the Capt that got busted for murder in Montana?
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#12]
We had an Air Show last summer and a B-1 did a high speed pass and it had to be
one of the coolest things I have ever seen, my 1 and half year old didn't like it so much
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Awesome pix!  Thanks for that!

And thanx to everyone who chimed in.  I figured this crew would know.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
B-ONE.  Da BONE.

Ah!  Thank you, that makes sense now.  Wondered why everyone was calling it that.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

when it was good, 3 days on, 4 days off Missile Field duty was the shizzle.  You remember the Capt that got busted for murder in Montana?

Yeah, I remember that––went to shoot a girlfriend's new lover and succeeded, right?  (may be getting my stories mixed.)  And the crewmember who was robbing banks on his off time.  That happened right before I got there.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yup, it's the Bone. The B-1A had a ejectable crew capsule a la' the F-111. When Ronnie resurected it, the capsule went away. Funny thing is you can still see the compartment lines on the nose up close. I've been up in the flight deck. There's two fold out jump seats and even a little shitter and galley for the crew. The nose landing gear has a bright ass landing light. The early crew chiefs would hang their field jackets on it and to mess with them a mechanic would turn on the light. Within minutes the light would make their field jackets burst into flames. Seeing one take off at dawn or sunset, on full afterburner is an awesome sight. The airframe is tremendously stong. At low level and full power, few fighters can even keep up with it. It can take a pounding and haul ass in the weeds.

Saw two take off from St. Louis airport one Monday morning right after my flight had landed and I was at the rental car place.  It was gray and overcast and those afterburners just looked fantastic.

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

On the morning that I saw them take off from St. Louis, one came over the rental car place and set off every alarm in the rental car lot and the long term parking next door.  About the time the alarms all settled down, the second one came over and set them off again.

A few minutes later, a BUFF took off and did it again.  It was hilarious.

Apparently, they had an air show that weekend.

Another time, I was on US 94 in Texas ( I think that was the highway number) heading west and saw a dot on the horizon.  As he got closer, I realized it was a B1 doing a low altitude run.  I stopped and tried to get my camera out in time, but he was long gone by the time I did that.

He came right over me.

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Current nose art:

Try again.  It's 86-0097, Iron Eagle nose art in the pic.

GIJoe...gotcha. To me it looked like Symphony. Do you have a close up of the nose art for Iron Eagle?

I will look, bur I'm not sure if i have it.  0097 was named early on in honor of the Iron Eagle, Curtis LeMay.  The reason I know the photo as it was familiar early on.  Note the "European One" , original, paint scheme.

0121, at the time of the photo, was assigned to Grand Forks.  It wore "Zepplin" moniker with Houses of the Holy nose art until we did the Time to Climb world record attempts.  It was changed to "Time to Climb" with a girl with a flight jacket looking over her shoulder for PA reasons.  When we brought down the unit at GF and stood up the 34th (attached to the 366th at Mountain Home, located at Ellsworth) in 94, we got 0097 with it's Iron Eagle nose art  assigned to us.  It's at the Boneyard now
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I used hunt in the Bighorn Mountains about 90 miles north of Casper, Wyoming every year.   B1s and B52s used to do low level training in the valleys there.  The B1s would fly in low with wings swept back and stay below the mountaintops while running the length of the valleys… you seldom would see them.   They were really loud.  The sound would be coming from in front of you and you would have to look about 60° to the left or right to try to catch sight of the plane as it pulled out in the distance.   B52s were pretty easy to spot (lots of smoke & not that fast).  The B1 was a lot harder to catch… seeing one hauling ass & dropping low into a canyon is an awesome sight/sound.    One passed over our campsite once banking at low altitude… incredible.   A really sexy airplane.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup, it's the Bone. The B-1A had a ejectable crew capsule a la' the F-111. When Ronnie resurected it, the capsule went away. Funny thing is you can still see the compartment lines on the nose up close. I've been up in the flight deck. There's two fold out jump seats and even a little shitter and galley for the crew. The nose landing gear has a bright ass landing light. The early crew chiefs would hang their field jackets on it and to mess with them a mechanic would turn on the light. Within minutes the light would make their field jackets burst into flames. Seeing one take off at dawn or sunset, on full afterburner is an awesome sight. The airframe is tremendously stong. At low level and full power, few fighters can even keep up with it. It can take a pounding and haul ass in the weeds.

Didn't one or two pilots die because of the ejection capsule? Also, wasn't the capsule in response to high altitude ejection? I think I remember seeing the capsule at Wright Pat that ejected.

I know that three guys died when the B-1 crashed near La Junta, Colorado in 1986. I got sent down to cordon off the crash site. The bomber was doing a low level penetration profile in a MOA and hit a pelican. The bird tore through the wingbox "glove" area. The AC zoomed the aircraft almost vertical to gain altitude for ejection. The DSO and OSO punched out. There was an instructor OSO in the rear jump seat and an IP in the front jumpe seat. They were doomed. I think the right seater stayed in with the IP and other OSO. I know the designers were a bit relieved because no one had punched out of a produtcion model and they were concerned about the nose possibly folding after the stressed ejection panels were blown. The biggest pieces left were the engines and landing gear. Took out a herd of antelope. If the bomber hadn't crashed and continued on it's flight path, it could've wiped out an elementary school. Close call. The F-111 and the B-1A ejection capsule put some serious G-stress on their crew.

The incident occurred on 28 September 1987 and one of those killed was a guy from my AFROTC detachment.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#22]
OIF 2003

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#25]
One of the best looking birds flying.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Lol, camera guy doesn't even realize it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Was that one of those treaties we signed for the Russian / sat photo ops

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Current nose art:

Wild nose art!

I wonder if MegaDave knows they're using Vic Rattlehead.  If he does know, I wonder if he cares.

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Who's landed one at Dyess AFB?

In their training simulator .

I saw the first one land at Dyess in 1985.  I see them everyday here

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't one or two pilots die because of the ejection capsule? Also, wasn't the capsule in response to high altitude ejection? I think I remember seeing the capsule at Wright Pat that ejected.

I know that three guys died when the B-1 crashed near La Junta, Colorado in 1986. I got sent down to cordon off the crash site. The bomber was doing a low level penetration profile in a MOA and hit a pelican. The bird tore through the wingbox "glove" area. The AC zoomed the aircraft almost vertical to gain altitude for ejection. The DSO and OSO punched out. There was an instructor OSO in the rear jump seat and an IP in the front jumpe seat. They were doomed. I think the right seater stayed in with the IP and other OSO. I know the designers were a bit relieved because no one had punched out of a produtcion model and they were concerned about the nose possibly folding after the stressed ejection panels were blown. The biggest pieces left were the engines and landing gear. Took out a herd of antelope. If the bomber hadn't crashed and continued on it's flight path, it could've wiped out an elementary school. Close call. The F-111 and the B-1A ejection capsule put some serious G-stress on their crew.

The incident occurred on 28 September 1987 and one of those killed was a guy from my AFROTC detachment.  

The Golden BB or Pelican as it were.  Bird ripped thru the Overwing fairing area and took out the five inch fuel delivery line.  TCTO  afterward added Kevlar blankets to key areas and fire bottles in the OWF were added later.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Some of my favorite Bone nose art:

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its a B-1b as mentioned above. Only thing to add is its called the Lancer. B-1b Lancer.

Might be it's official name, but the guys that fly it call it the Bone...

Similar to how the F-16 is the "Fighting Falcon" but the drivers call it the Viper....

or the A-10 Thunderbolt II
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its a B-1b as mentioned above. Only thing to add is its called the Lancer. B-1b Lancer.

Similar to how the F-16 is the "Fighting Falcon" but the drivers call it the Viper....

Or the F-111........um.....yeah....what was it called?
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#35]

I know the "Last Laugh" Dedicated Crew Chief (DCC). I'll tell him that he has made the big time on ARFCOM. Some of the others are really old before my time here. the 28th BS is a really old one.

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Golden BB or Pelican as it were.  Bird ripped thru the Overwing fairing area and took out the five inch fuel delivery line.  TCTO  afterward added Kevlar blankets to key areas and fire bottles in the OWF were added later.

Damn, I'm getting old. Pulled my old TDY orders and it was 1987!
Radio, sorry about your buddy.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#37]
My BIL pilots the bone.

He was recently promoted to Major.

He is now serving some odd ball detachment to the Army in Iraq.  He was a JTAC on his last deployment in Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a print by Dru BLair of this that rocks. Its called "power"

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#39]
nm

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 10:40:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have a print by Dru BLair of this that rocks. Its called "power"

Aviator

O Hell Yea!!!!  Is that a real photo, or Photoshop?

Gawd, I'm liking this sexy bird more and more!!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#41]
It is a painting

Have had a lot of people look at it and think it was a photo though. The pic does not do it justice.

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I've been up in the cockpit of the B-1A... I should do a photo essay
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 11:07:11 PM EDT
[#43]
More broken bones

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 11:56:59 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who's landed one at Dyess AFB?

In their training simulator

I have too........on the taxiway....

You're doing it wrong!

Link Posted: 12/27/2009 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It is a painting

Have had a lot of people look at it and think it was a photo though. The pic does not do it justice.

Aviator

The artist lives in GA and did all the Georgia Guard B-1 nose art for free,

The new stuff is nice, but it was better when the troops were doing the art, based on the Crew Chiefs design.  Now it's all approved by committee and done with quality artists.  My jet was Ace in the Hole from the beginning, lead the fleet, etc.  At GF they held a damn contest and selected some BS from a Services puke.  The art looked like My Little Pony!!!

I did everything from Sunday to stop it from happening.  Luckily, my jet was the second for the world records (set 5 of the 12 Time to Climb records) so it was saved.  Now it's at Ellsworth wearing something else...

I left the B-1 shortly before OEF and my jet was there first.  I had long since moved up, but one of my old buds brought back a JDAM pin that came from my jet 86-0111.  The pin is in my retirement shadow box I got last week.   It'll be "my jet" forever.

As soon as i get my bandwidth back and do some scanning, I'll post some older stuff....and what the maintainers did to our F-16's in OEF....
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or the F-111........um.....yeah....what was it called?

Yeah exactly.. :)  The F-111 is one of the only (if the only) plane in the inventory without an "official" nickname?   The Aardvark is unofficial...

Link Posted: 12/27/2009 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#48]
TU-160

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top