Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/23/2009 10:01:46 AM EDT
Arrow Trucking ceased operations yesterday evening.  Drivers got a message on their satellite link that the company is dead and fuel cards were shot off.  Drivers were told to take their trucks to the nearest truck dealership (Freightliner, Kenworth, or International) and they would receive a bus ticket.

Arrow had a fleet of over 1,500 trucks.

No paycheck.  Every load abandoned.  Drivers stuck wherever they were.  Even if a driver wanted to use his own money for fuel, the carrier's insurance was terminated and their operating authority may or may not have been revoked.

Drivers I spoke to on the CB yesterday evening were trying to sell anything they could - straps, chains, binders, tarps, lights, tires - just to get the money to get home.

********** UPDATE **********

For any of you people who talk shit and belittle truck drivers and the industry saying the good ol' days are gone and there are no more "Knights of the Road":

The industry has stepped up to help their own.  Almost every major company has sent messages to its drivers telling them they may help any Arrow driver stranded by giving them a lift.  (This is important because you can not legally take a passenger without company approval).

Truckstops are offering Arrow drivers free meals and showers and even hotel rooms in some instances.

Arrow's competitors have said they will hire eligible former Arrow drivers.  Many competitors went to Arrow's home terminal in Tulsa and set up an impromptu job fair for drivers, office workers, maintenance personnel and everyone else affected.

Most importantly:  Facebook Support Page  2,500 people - mostly in the industry, including myself - have linked up on this page. People from every corner of the country have offered rooms, showers, food, cold beer, and rides to stranded truckers.  By all accounts virtually every stranded Arrow driver is either already home or on the way home through the generosity of strangers in the industry.  Whether in another driver's truck, a stranger's car, on a bus or on a plane, these guys (and gals) are going to be home for Christmas.  

So if you are driving today and tomorrow, don't bitch if one slow truck pulls out to pass a slower truck - a driver may be headed home.

-Jason

Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Fuck, I wouldn't blame them for just driving home and sending the company a letter saying if they want the truck they can come pick it up themselves on their dime.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#2]
dupe
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:03:44 AM EDT
[#3]
That's horrible.  Banks aren't lending the money and a lot of companies are feeling it.  Credit needs to open up for businesses to operate.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:04:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Fuck, I wouldn't blame them for just driving home and sending the company a letter saying if they want the truck they can come pick it up themselves on their dime.

True dat.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Thats all kinds of fucked up.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:04:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
dupe

Yeah well I searched "Arrow" for all communities in the last three days so who gives a fuck.

-j
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#7]
But, but, Obama says that the economy is IMPROVING.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

. Every load abandoned.

Uh, I'd be pretty pissed if they were handling something of mine.

ETA: Also, people who call dupe but don't give a link probably abuse children.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

true.  or ghost ride the truck off a bridge.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:06:06 AM EDT
[#11]
wow that is shitty.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Drive the load home and sell off contents of the trailer on ebay.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#13]
damn that's shitty
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd have just left the truck on the side of the road, locked it up and mailed the keys to the company office and paid my own way home.

Their gonna fuck me outta my paycheck, well fuck them right back.

Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

this

Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#16]
What if you took the loaded truck home and said you give me my paycheck and I'll deliver your truck?

No pay, no delivery.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Dang.  That just isn't right.  Obama is an Idiot.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Im not so sure people see the BIG PICTURE and the ripples in the pond from this pebble. Its just not Arrow trucking that is laying off drivers. At least it hasn't been expounded upon in these threads. The access to goods will dry up and become more expensive. We are talking some miserable times ahead unless some divine miracle that all of the sudden turns shit around.

Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

. Every load abandoned.

Uh, I'd be pretty pissed if they were handling something of mine.

Yeah I don't see how that's going to work.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

That's just fucked up.

Quoted:

dupe

And no link, no dupe.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=973278

Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My first thought too...
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Let go with no paycheck?

Leave truck in lot, unlocked with the keys in it.  Call company and tell them where the truck is and what condition it is in. You no longer work for the asshats so the truck and load are no longer your responsibility.

Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Just yesterday I read a post here where a member was scolded for helping a deployed service members wife in a HHG's move, and ended up tardy for work and terminated.

The scolding was for not recognizing how important his responsibilities were to his employer.

Guess that's a one way street.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My first thought too...

and mine

Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Im not so sure people see the BIG PICTURE and the ripples in the pond from this pebble. Its just not Arrow trucking that is laying off drivers. At least it hasn't been expounded upon in these threads. The access to goods will dry up and become more expensive. We are talking some miserable times ahead unless some divine miracle that all of the sudden turns shit around.  

You ain't just whistl'n Dixie...

Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#27]
"Shrug"

Most grocery stores can't survive without regular shipments of food. Urban communities are bad places to be when SHTF.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:18:30 AM EDT
[#28]
I'd drop the load and bobtail.
The one time I did a long run thet way ( 120miles!!!!) it got 12mpg. Better than some pickups.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
That's just fucked up.

Quoted:
dupe

And no link, no dupe.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=973278

Alright then.

Vague, worthless title
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
And the driver that does this,will be visited by either a sheriff or .gov types in black suits. The trucks are no longer Arrows.they are now owned by the BK court. Get used to this,Arrow was a flatbed hauler,been seeing lots of flatbeds with nothing on them, or goofy partials(CH Robinson loads).

Been here,done that........Service Transport 1979-2004 RIP. A damned fine company that didn't deserve to go the way it did.

Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Unreal, great time of the year to do this shit.    

Assholes

Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Let me see what's in the back of the truck.  If it's something good, let's play "Make a Deal".

Can the drivers just sell the trucks?

CJ

Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Let me see what's in the back of the truck.  If it's something good, let's play "Make a Deal".

CJ

Fuck no, the court has custody of them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Whatever is inside the trailers is still the property of either the consignor or consignee.

Selling off or abandoning whatever is in there would be stealing or endangering a third party's property.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Atlas...shrugged?
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Dang, thats really messed up.  

A bus ticket home? lulz  What a bunch of shit.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Dang, thats really messed up.  

A bus ticket home? lulz  What a bunch of shit.

As discussed in another thread, the really fucked up part is that most truckers have far more stuff than Greyhound will let you carry.
That means that the truckers have to abandon/ sell off most of their personal gear too.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:44:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No joke!

Wow!
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:45:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

CJ
If this company filed for CH7(and it looks like they did)the trucks are now property of the BK Courts. Even liens are null and void under BK laws. And BK judges aren't ones to be pissing off.

Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Whatever is inside the trailers is still the property of either the consignor or consignee.

Selling off or abandoning whatever is in there would be stealing or endangering a third party's property.

WTF is the driver supposed to do if they have basically been fired enroute to a delivery and have no ability to pay for fuel? As for the wait for a bus ticket. Fuck that, that is a dick move.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:47:45 AM EDT
[#41]
My truck did not have enough fuel to make it to the yard. It ran out of fuel along the Interstate. Too bad the entire load of flat-panel TVs was stolen. Merry Christmas.

Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first thought too...

Same here.

This type of shit is going to become more and more common over the next few years............count on it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#43]
WTF!  Better hope those drivers weren't Teamsters, that's not a group I'd want mad at me.

Merry Christmas and good luck. Like Arrow didn't know they were at risk of going broke well ahead of the shutdown. I hope every driver just kept the truck / load for themselves as severance.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Ever tried to feed one of those things? What do they get, say, 6 mpg on a good day? Very expen$ive way to get home!
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CJ

Fuck no, the court has custody of them.

I personally can't wait to see the Marshall Service detailed to pick-up 1,500 trucks stranded all over the country in middle-of-fucking-nowhere-America. Better yet trying to recover ARROW truck that have been stranded for weeks only to find the vehicle jacked or stripped by thieves once the word gets out that there are a fuck load of abandoned trucks that no one is going to be looking for for a least a week or two.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Atlas...shrugged?

Sure sounds an awful lot like "trains full of freight and passengers sitting on the tracks in the middle of nowhere without the engineer or fireman to run them"...

Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Sounds like the same management team that ran Consolidated Freightways into the ground...
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#48]
I would probably drive truck right through some suits front door.
cocksuckers

"here's your eggnog delivery, boss"
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first thought too...

Same here.

This type of shit is going to become more and more common over the next few years............count on it.

My FIL, a very astute fellow, advises to keep an eye on the trucking industry over anything else as an indicator of the economy.

Link Posted: 12/23/2009 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

That's horrible.  Banks aren't lending the money and a lot of companies are feeling it.  Credit needs to open up for businesses to operate.

would you lend money for a failing business that most likely can't pay it back? i know i wouldn't...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top