Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2009 3:39:28 PM EDT
I just found out the high school I graduated from won the state championship, but it was classified as the 2A state title.  I saw other teams win the 3A, 4A, etc.  Is it a difference in talent/competition?  
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#1]
its related to the size of the school
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Size of the school is the difference.  Usually A is the largest also called Division I and so on down to the little tiny schools
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Generally its school size, but I have seen them put a program that year after year trounce the competition up a class. The more A's the bigger the school here in Oklahoma.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Size of the school.  It gets even more fun when you add 9 man teams to the mix.  In SD we had 11AA, 11A, 11B, 9A, and 9B.  I think they've added a 9AA class.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Check the linky out for more information on Ohio subdivisions if you wish

Linky
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#6]
As already noted there are enrollment numbers that determine classifications.

Now in Texas to even further dilute it the have a Division I and Division II state champ in each of the larger classifications.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#7]
In TX 1A is the littlerest an 5A is the big'un.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Size of the school is the difference.  Usually A is the largest also called Division I and so on down to the little tiny schools

yall do it wrong up north.  A is the smallest on up to 4 or 5A.  I think the biggest classification we have in Texas is 4A, but it could have changed since I graduated.

Link Posted: 12/6/2009 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, it's the size of the school (how many kids per class)

I played in a 3A team and beat all the 5A teams.  Big public schools of memphis, tn are not too good  
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In TX 1A is the littlerest an 5A is the big'un.

KS is similar, except we do 1-6A.

1-2A schools, in football, are usually 8-man, since they're so small.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just found out the high school I graduated from won the state championship, but it was classified as the 2A state title.  I saw other teams win the 3A, 4A, etc.  Is it a difference in talent/competition?  

OMSH? What year?

I bounced in '91
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMSH? What year?

I bounced in '91

Old Mill is 4A I think, and they won too.

I went to Eastern Tech.  Class o' 97.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

yall do it wrong up north.  A is the smallest on up to 4 or 5A.  I think the biggest classification we have in Texas is 4A, but it could have changed since I graduated.

My HS was 5A, had 2 5A and 2 4A schools when I graduated.  Now they have 3 5A schools and 2 4A's
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What school?
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#15]

in PA for athletics it goes...

A - smallest schools
AA - small schools
AAA - bigger schools
AAAA - biggest schools

Link Posted: 12/6/2009 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Now in Texas to even further dilute it the have a Division I and Division II state champ in each of the larger classifications.

There are talks about adding a 6A to get rid of the Super 5As and making everything more fair.

Link Posted: 12/6/2009 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

in PA for athletics it goes...

A - smallest schools
AA - small schools
AAA - bigger schools
AAAA - biggest schools

More correctly, it is the size based on gender and for some sports depends on if the school has a "freshman" team. For example, a school for 479 boys in the 4 classes (freshman through senior) would be Class AAA. However, if the sport is football and the school has a freshman team then only the male class size of the uper 3 are counted against classification (sophomore, junior, senior). So, a school with 479 in the upper 4, minus 120 for the freshman class would equal 359, placing them in 3AAA size. Women's sports are then classed on the number of women along the same lines. So you could have a school which plays baseball in AA but the girls play in AAA in softball. Of course each school can also elect to play one (or 2 maybe) classes above them (ie: a Class A mens basketball could elect to play in A, AA or AAA).
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What school?

Eastern Tech, formally EVT.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#19]
It allows more schools the chance to compete an get recognition at the state level.

MN  used to have one class for all high school hockey. It really sucked because the big fat twin city schools would beat up on the northern schools with 1/30th their enrollment and then go around thumping their chests at how good they were.

Now that we have classes the little northern schools tend to open up a lot of whoop ass at state!
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep, some districts take four schools into the playoffs. Because of the differences in enrollment in some of the classifications you will have large and small schools in the playoffs. It's all about the $$$$$$ for the districts. The more schools in the playoffs the more money there is to be made. A long playoff run can be worth 250K or more to the school district.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Here in Maryland it is like most people have stated already.

1A - smallest
2A
3A
4A - biggest

The high school I went to was 1A and I wouldn't want it any other way. You know everybody and they all know you.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What school?

Easy Victory Today!

Hey, when did you graduate?  My son's 7-9 head coach use to coach there.

Link Posted: 12/7/2009 3:22:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What school?

Easy Victory Today!

Link Posted: 12/7/2009 3:34:07 AM EDT
[#24]
My HS was a private 1A team. We had 20 players my Sr year  So I played TE (RB first five games...then I hurt my knee), LB, P, K. Good times...but talk about exhausted at the end of the night

And through all of that I ended up a 3 Star rated LB...woo.
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 5:58:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What school?

Easy Victory Today!

Coach Crane?  

Link Posted: 12/7/2009 6:05:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Don't have a clue as I never played.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top