Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/22/2009 2:20:10 PM EDT
My wife and I htink we want one. What does everybody think of the breed?

Are they good family cats?

Are they good with small children?

(toddlers)

UPDATE!

I am goin to pick up a little one! I am leaving for CA on Friday and will haev pictures of the little guy on Saturday.

UPDATE: I have pictures of him now and he is quite the crazy kitten. His name is ATLAS. (Ayn Rand reference, because my wife would not let me name him Galt.

Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Great cats, smart as hell.

Mine is a talker, I mean a talker. Drives my wife crazy, but it doesn't bother me.

Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I want one, looked into a couple of breeders, way too nutty to deal with.  That was back when I lived in Shitcago, haven't checked them out around here.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm too lazy to Google it.........why do they call them "coon" cats?
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

To be racist, you can only be a conservative to own one.

Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

thats racist

lol, beat by a few seconds
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#7]
They are really cool cats, and they don't seem to have too many health issues (my wife works at a vet, so I hear way too much about this kinda stuff).  FWIW, they seem to always have Ragdoll's in who are sick as shit, a lot of them die, I'd stay away from that breed .
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The ones that are colored like mine, look very much like a racoon. Seeing just his hind area and tail, you would swear he was a racoon.

Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I am a fan of their impressive size and what appears to be intelilgence from the vids I have seen.

How loud are they really?
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome cats. Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Got one that  was a stray.  He's a little different because he doesn't have the long hair, so he's more of a mix, but its still plenty thick.  He's awesome, close to being like a dog.  Comes to you when you arrive home, follows you around, actually pays attention to you.  Definite talker though, and sounds like a racoon when he does it.  Has the pointy hair on the tips of his ears too.  Big fat gentle giant.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I had one for years, guess what his name was?
<––––––––––––-Hint

Wonderful cats. Very laid back, kind of dog like in that they will sort of follow you from room to room. They do have tons of fur and hairball issues.

his name was site staff? thats an odd name..
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
FWIW, they seem to always have Ragdoll's in who are sick as shit, a lot of them die, I'd stay away from that breed .

Always wondered how they were able to breed a cat that goes limp when you pick it up.  I guess it can't be done without significant genetic problems.  Too bad, I think having a ragdoll would be really cool.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#15]
We just got one from Maine Coon Rescue here in GA. He was 12 weeks when we got him and I guess he is about 6 months old now. Very mellow cat. We have a three year old, who named the cat... Meatball. The cat will let the kid play rough with him and never scratches or bites back, just leaves. They are really great breed of cat.

Only one problem... they shit... big and often. We ended up having to get a Cat Genie, the self cleaning cat box. Expensive, but the absolute best thing ever for cat owners.

www.catgenie.com
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#17]
How long before someone say "When are you going to grout those joints"?  Oh, I guess I just did

Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Our Maine Coon was the best.
We had to put him to sleep 2 weeks shy of his 21st birthday.
It was like losing a child.

They are excellent w/children once matured. When they are kittens, they are kittens.
They are very smart and have some dog like tendencies.
Ours would come when called like a dog. He would follow me around and lay at my feet like a dog.
He never showed some of the crazy tendencies other cats I have showed.

He was the best and I can tell you it's been over three years and I still miss him and so do the dogs which
were pups the last year of his life. The old man taught those dogs a thing or two.

I will only allow a Maine Coon in my house again.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How long before someone say "When are you going to grout those joints"?  Oh, I guess I just did

better

union cat was on break  
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#20]
How big do they get? I am curious becase I am dubious of the 20 pound number for males that is thrown around...

Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

How big do they get? I am curious becase I am dubious of the 20 pound number for males that is thrown around...

Don't be.  They do get pretty large.

I like the Maine Coon.  They're good cats.

Link Posted: 9/22/2009 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#22]

We currently have 3 Maine Coon males in the family.  Also, had 3 previously.  But we will not own anymore due to a disease that is common
with the breed.   It's called HCM, hypertropic cardiomyopathy. We take them to the university every other year to get tested.  But, they are
awesome cats.  We just have not had good luck with ours.
 You might want to check out  petfinder.com

Link Posted: 9/22/2009 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

We currently have 3 Maine Coon males in the family.  Also, had 3 previously.  But we will not own anymore due to a disease that is common
with the breed.   It's called HCM, hypertropic cardiomyopathy. We take them to the university every other year to get tested.  But, they are

Do all Maine Coons have this?
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#24]
They are great cats and I would get another in a heartbeat.  Unfortunately the coyotes and bobcats around here must like how they taste.  My last Maine Coon Jasper only lasted about a year.  He had it in his head that he could stay out all night.  RIP Jasper.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Here is my cat, my gf, vet and I think he is a Maine Coon/Norwegian Forest mix. He will follow me all around and play fetch for hours. he can also jump about 6 feet high

He is only about 6 months old in this pic
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Great cats.  Mine is extremely affectionate, but is also very territorial.  She will fuck up any animal that comes on our property, and has (hilariously) attacked a person who she thought was hurting me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 3:19:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You won't have any trouble finding a twenty pounder.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#28]
my favorite cat breed i have had several of them laid back and real smart...great mousers
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#29]

My Mom has one, he's a good cat....hairy as all hell but a good cat otherwise. They get this cool mane around their neck, gives them a look no other house cat has.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2009 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#30]
The Maine Coons I've seen were canine-esque in personality.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do all Maine Coons have this?

It's approximately a third that carry the disease.  We lost two cats to the disease.   Google it. Asked the breeder if they have been tested if you
decide to get one. But I bet not since it cost $.  Our breeder tests but I don't think it is guarantee that they won't get it.

Link Posted: 9/22/2009 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#32]
I had a coon mix.  It was a great cat. Very laid-back and dog like.  Very intelligent and affectionate.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I had one, she died back in '01

so tame that while she is laying down on the floor you could put a stick in her side and use her as a dust mop.

great cats. I'd get another in a heartbeat
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Some old friends of ours had one.  He was enormous, but very smart and very sweet.  They taught him to play fetch.  It was the coolest thing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 3:50:41 PM EDT
[#35]
My grandma has a couple Maine coon's..they are ENORMOUS compared to other cats, they are more like small dogs than cats and the mane they get around their necks are pretty cool, one year, before they got shaved and trimmed we trimmed the cat down except for its mane and it looked like a mini lion..pretty funny.
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#36]
At 5 years old we go this one snipped, he weighed 17 and a half pounds.

That was two years ago.

This was a couple months ago...

ETA: we have a raised wood floor. When he gallops through the house it's as loud as my 7 year old daughter doing the same.

And he has 6:00 AM and 8:30 PM nailed solid.

Link Posted: 9/22/2009 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Wow...

The breeder is going to call me tonight and we are going to possibly go to California to get the cat next week. My wife and I are very excited.

Link Posted: 9/22/2009 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#38]
My wife and I have four Maine Coons. Definitely more dog like than cat like. They get along great with other cats and dogs and are very laid back. Our 3 boys weigh 16,17, and 22 pounds. Our female is around 14. Great personalities but unfortunately due to an originally small foundation breeding stock Maine Coons are subject to health issues. There have been efforts made in the past years to breed in new blood though. Our cats come from 3 different catteries but all have had some pretty pricey health issues. I could be driving a new BMW for the amount of money we have spent on medical care. That being said I love our crew and love the breed. Buy from a reputable breeder!

Our crew (ages ranged from 1 to 3 yrs in pic). The chubby one on the left has since lost weight as he has had a stomach surgery and also had his large intestion removed.

Our boy floyd with his Whippet buddy Atom. For a size compartision Atom is 37 pounds, Floyd hovers around 20.

The evil Maine Coon, George. Enjoys beating up his siblings from time to time but George does have a sweet side too.

What George did to me (5 yrs ago, please forgive my workout attire) when he got spooked by a dog in the neighbors back yard. George was on a leash at the time and tried to back out of his harness to flee. I scruffed him to carry him inside but he decided to leave me with a few parting gifts.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#39]
UPDATE!

I am goin to pick up a little one! I am leaving for CA on Friday and will haev pictures of the little guy on Saturday.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:49:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

My wife and I have four Maine Coons. Definitely more dog like than cat like. They get along great with other cats and dogs and are very laid back. Our 3 boys weigh 16,17, and 22 pounds. Our female is around 14. Great personalities but unfortunately due to an originally small foundation breeding stock Maine Coons are subject to health issues. There have been efforts made in the past years to breed in new blood though. Our cats come from 3 different catteries but all have had some pretty pricey health issues. I could be driving a new BMW for the amount of money we have spent on medical care. That being said I love our crew and love the breed. Buy from a reputable breeder!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/Gracedog01/weaselnip010.jpg

Our crew (ages ranged from 1 to 3 yrs in pic). The chubby one on the left has since lost weight as he has had a stomach surgery and also had his large intestion removed.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/Gracedog01/AtomlovesFloyd012.jpg

Our boy floyd with his Whippet buddy Atom. For a size compartision Atom is 37 pounds, Floyd hovers around 20.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/Gracedog01/George.jpg

The evil Maine Coon, George. Enjoys beating up his siblings from time to time but George does have a sweet side too.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/Gracedog01/GeorgesmaulingattackonGreg003.jpg

What George did to me (5 yrs ago, please forgive my workout attire) when he got spooked by a dog in the neighbors back yard. George was on a leash at the time and tried to back out of his harness to flee. I scruffed him to carry him inside but he decided to leave me with a few parting gifts.
Looks like the cat was trained well. Attacked a hippie without hesitation.

Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:50:34 PM EDT
[#42]

I never knew Maine Coons could be orange...

till this guy showed up at my house (stray/dumped).

Awesome cat, weighed about 25lbs, and NOT fat.  I'd take another one like him any day.  He was fixed so no offspring.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

paging DK_Prof

Maine Coons are awesome cats!!

I had a male (Leviathan), who was over 20 lbs, but not fat at all:

http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=13012

He was the best cat ever (and my wife and I have had a bunch of cats).

His sister from the same litter (Behemoth) is still alive - she's 16 yrs old now. Here she is, doing what she does best - sleeping.

http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=2410

That last pic made me laugh really hard.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
paging DK_Prof

Maine Coons are awesome cats!!

I had a male (Leviathan), who was over 20 lbs, but not fat at all:
http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=13012

He was the best cat ever (and my wife and I have had a bunch of cats).

His sister from the same litter (Behemoth) is still alive - she's 16 yrs old now.  Here she is, doing what she does best - sleeping.
http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=2410

That is awesome. I am really excited. My wife is already planning for it to be in our house. I gotta ask, do they crap a whole lot? I read the garbage bag thread on them and it had me SERIOUSLY wondering. I am curious as to how big of a box I am going to need for this beast. (All 9 weeks of him)
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:53:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

snip

that shirt is unforgivable ya hippy
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 9:02:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
.... I gotta ask, do they crap a whole lot? I read the garbage bag thread on them and it had me SERIOUSLY wondering. I am curious as to how big of a box I am going to need for this beast. (All 9 weeks of him)

No more so than other cats.  I mean, if you compare a 20 lb Maine Coon to another small cat that's only 10 lbs, then I guess the Coon will probably crap a little more, but there's no real difference that I can tell between my reamining Maine Coon and the other two cats we have - so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Once the cat is no longer a kitten, just be careful not to overfeed it.  Maine Coons CAN get fat, especially if you give them too much dry food (in my experience), and indoor cats often don't need as much food as people think.

So, how fat? Because if their normal weight for a male is 17-20 pounds, what kind of weight could a cat that size put on? And does it cause a lot more health problems?
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#48]
I've got a female, no so big on the outside. Loads of personality and smarts.

On the inside she is a giant. Very little fear of anything but cars.

Pretty much nobody jacks with her and even shields themselves just walking by. One dog at a time is no problem (I have 3). Not toddler material, YMMV.

With me she is much like a dog. The wife and I go for a walk and she'll trail us all the way home, people are like .

Link Posted: 9/23/2009 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Maine Coon Cats are the best!

Mine are awesome, wicked smart and yes they do get big. Both of mine were around 20 pounds.
They are a great breed, you will be very happy
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#50]
I loved mine got him free from a couple that had a baby that was allergic

he was about a year old when I got him  he disappeared into the house I knew he was around as the food dish would get emptied  after about a week he came out and was a great cat had him for about 8 years

he just up and disappeared about a year ago

figure the coyotes must have gotten him

but yeah they talk alot

Mine would respond to meows for as long as you felt like "talking" to him  

cat i have now has not meowed more than 3 times in the year I have had him

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top