Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2009 3:11:45 PM EDT
Just wondering, where should the forward vertical grip be positioned on an AR and why? I see some only a couple of inches forward of the mag well and I see others 3/4 the way down the forend. I just picked up a CAA short vertical grip which I definately like better than the full length version and I just wanted to learn a little on the advantages of placing the vertical grip more forward or rearward on the forend.

http://www.commandarms.com/product.asp?pID=29&cID=12

Thanks.

Edited to add -

Is a vertical foregrip actually an advantage in a general self-defense/home defense situation...or should I just stick with the stock forend?
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Personal preference. What ever you feel is comfortable for your shooting style go for it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Splitting your hand between the quad rail and vert grip works well. Some folks find putting it forward helps drive between targets, I put it a few inches before the well. There's no doctrine yet.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#3]
where ever you feel the most comfortable with it.

I would suggest you try doing some snap drills without the handle, and pay attention to where your hand goes naturally... then put the grip in that area where it feels natural to hold it.

just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I usually grab just forward the mag well without a grip, so when I have a fore grip thats where it would go.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Putting it as far forward as possible gives better leverage for quickly driving the sights on target, and also better muzzle control to reduce muzzle rise.

If I am shooting for precision offhand, like in a highpower match, I have my hand just forward of the mag well, but I'm not using a VFG. The point is, I hold the weapon very different for "fast and dirty" than for "slow and precise". I wouldn't even use the VFG for precise.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I run mine as far forward as I can.  Gives me a nice push pull and I find I use less support muscles because my arm is not bent at the elbow as much
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I run mine as far forward as I can. Gives me a nice push pull and I find I use less support muscles because my arm is not bent at the elbow as much

Indeed. I'm 6'2 and have long arms. My preferred AR is a 20 inch with A2 buttstock. I  could put my pistol grip towards the front, and it would feel perfectly natural.

Link Posted: 9/2/2009 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Two requirements come to mind
- It doesn't crush the nads when you transition
- Fits you comfortably when using it for its intended purpose.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Two requirements come to mind
- It doesn't crush the nads when you transition
- Fits you comfortably when using it for its intended purpose.

Sounds like that hurt!  
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#11]
It needs to stick straight out to the left for proper stability in real combat.

Link Posted: 9/2/2009 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#12]
It is ALL personal preference.

I prefer it as close to the magwell as possible, just enough so that my thumb is comfortable between the grip and the magwell, with enough room for some movement.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Pardon my doofusness, but what mean'um "drive the gun"?

Thanks....
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just wondering, where should the forward vertical grip be positioned on an AR and why? I see some only a couple of inches forward of the mag well and I see others 3/4 the way down the forend. I just picked up a CAA short vertical grip which I definately like better than the full length version and I just wanted to learn a little on the advantages of placing the vertical grip more forward or rearward on the forend.

http://www.commandarms.com/product.asp?pID=29&cID=12

Thanks.

Edited to add -

Is a vertical foregrip actually an advantage in a general self-defense/home defense situation...or should I just stick with the stock forend?

The farther forward you grip the weapon with your support hand, the easier it is to control recoil and drive the gun. I use a stubby VFG as far forward as possible. I only have the bottom couple of fingers on the VFG...the rest are wrapped around the rail, pulling it into my shoulder.

I've been doing it this way ever since we first started using VFGs on our issued M4s.  Especially helps control the weapon in burst/auto.

Link Posted: 9/2/2009 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks....

Transitioning from one target to another.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#17]
In the round container full of dirty bore patches under the reloading bench. ;)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Whereever it feels comfortable.  I hate it to far foward doesnt work well for me.  -
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Personal preference. What ever you feel is comfortable for your shooting style go for it.

This. I prefer it further forward to drive the weapon from target to target.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I like a stubby VFG all the way out. Gives better control
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#21]
lot's of people will tell you different things.

Take this for what it is.....MY experience.

I position it just foward enough that the gun "balances".  If I'm holding the fore grip and the buttstock is in my shoulder I should be able to let go with my shooting hand and have it "balance".

If you keep it too close to the mag well you'll rearly use it.

EDIT:  Also want to echo the comment that the farther forward you keep it the better recoil managment you'll have
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#22]

I like mine there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks....

Transitioning from one target to another.

Ahh....

Should've figured that out on my own.

Thanks to both....
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#24]
My KAC grip sits right in the middle of my 11" LT handguard.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Get the "Art of Tactical Carbine" and the "ARt of Tactical Carbine II" From Magpul and they talk about this (basics in the first, and more advanced in the second)

Great series
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Here you go.

I have so much to learn having no military/ very little rifle experience...wow. Cool thing about this vid is that you don't need a full-auto to lay down accurate, fast firepower. I shoot ALOT of sporting clays, 300-500 practice rounds a week during the warmer months and probably know more about that  disipline than many...but it never fails to amaze me how much there is to learn about different weapons and shooting methods.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top