Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I've ridden in a Cougar before.  She was quite spacious actually.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2009 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, me too.  I love those vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I always liked this one but BAE lost out to Oshkosh.

Link Posted: 9/2/2009 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Friend was an engineer on one of the prototypes.  Cluster doesn't begin describe that project.  Pentagon was in an all out panic to get these fielded.  Nobody could move fast enough.  Problem was DOD kept changing the specs and adding more and more stuff to the vehicle.  Try as hard as he could my friend couldn't figure out how to cram ten pounds of stuff in a five pound sack.  

South Africans had this figured out thirty years ago.  But being Americans we had to prove to the world that we knew better.  Once again we tried to reinvent the wheel.

Yep. I've always wanted one of these:
http://www.scalemodeler.co.za/images/Buffel/bufcomp.JPG

The sides of the armored "bathtub" fold down so that infantry can disembark the vehicle.
http://www.geocities.com/sa_bushwar2/bufrond12.jpg

And what happens when a grenade is tossed over the sides?

Nothing good, I'm sure.

Though to be fair the SADF seemed to place more value on having eyes on the area surrounding the vehicle than on covered roofs or low profiles - the Ratel and Casspir are similarly designed. Keep in mind that the Buffel was one of the first MPV's built, and the first one to be mass produced.

ETA: Another reason for the open top is that the studies taken by the Rhodesian Army found that a significant portion of the casualties in landmine incidents came from passengers being thrown against the metal roof of their vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Well. once we're out of Iraq, maybe they'll start handing them out to the police and you'll get a close look at of in your driveway sometime.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I could care less about the ride in an MRAP.  I've also seen them take one hell of a blast.  I've also seen the hull compromised but only with injuries to it's occupants...by an explosion that would destroy a tank.  I won't go into detail on size but lets just say it was loud as hell at over a mile away.  They have saved more lives than our ITOV's and ACH's have since deploying.

CMS
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I liked my MTVR better. The Cougar's dont have room for your feet when your driving.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#10]
SNIP...
Correction: MTVR goes ALMOST anywhere.

That is not an MTVR.
That is a 7 ton self propelled mobile bridging unit and those amphibious Devil Dogs are not Motor T bubbas who can't drive they are Waterborne Combat Engineers and accomplished bridge builders.

This message has been approved by the Marine Corps Propaganda Machine

Monk

Link Posted: 9/2/2009 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd just like to point out that an MRAP saved the lives of the guys who where in this one...

Note: This was hit by an IED with quite a bit of force behind it. It knocked the engine 100 yards away, and the guys inside made it out with only minor injuries.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd just like to point out that an MRAP saved the lives of the guys who where in this one...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/MRAP/MRAP1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/MRAP/MRAP2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/MRAP/MRAP3.jpg

Note: This was hit by an IED with quite a bit of force behind it. It knocked the engine 100 yards away, and the guys inside made it out with only minor injuries.

Talk about an "oh shit" moment.

And before anyone asks...that's transmission fluid.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 6:24:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Ah I didn't realize they built them.

There are several different manufacturers of the MRAP variants. They're not all the same. The MATV is an Oshkosh vehicle, the others aren't made by Oshkosh.

Link Posted: 10/9/2009 6:32:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok, the ride may suck but paint it candy-apple red and cruise into the soccer game and just stare down the douchebag yuppies in their H3's.  "What's that sound?  It's the sound of penis shrinkage, motherfucker..."

TC

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top