Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/20/2009 1:49:24 PM EDT
Hypothetical time, inspired by the gender twist in athletics thread.

Let's take a decent small state boys basketball team, like the sort that would win their conference and have a good chance at taking state in one of the Dakotas, Iowa, etc. I'll take it as a foregone conclusion that that the Chicago city champs could mop the floor with the WNBA.

Pick a random WNBA team. I couldn't tell you the difference between any of them, I'll assume there is at least some parity.

Who wins? Poll inbound.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#1]
bump for more votes.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Why do they use a smaller basketball when most of those bitches are huge?
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#3]
WNBA unless a Philly, Chicago type team, as you said.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#4]
WNBA by a mile.  Most girls that play NCAA D-I hoops could have started for the HS boys team you describe.  Now take that kind of girl and give her four years of NCAA coaching and physical training and let her rise to the point of going pro––then give her a few more years to hone those skills against the best of the best women on the planet.  The WNBA squad would have those boys crying before halftime.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#5]
WNBA would murder them.  I've seen college girls scrimmage against college guy teams and it was close.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends which HS.  Something like St. Vincent–St. Mary High School on Akron? High School any team any time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#7]
None of y'all can seriously believe that a high school team of any kind could beat a pro team.

come on....use some reasoning skills here. A pro team that gets the very best of the very best vs a team that is comprised of kids that just happen to live in a close proximity.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
None of y'all can seriously believe that a high school team of any kind could beat a pro team.

come on....use some reasoning skills here. A pro team that gets the very best of the very best vs a team that is comprised of kids that just happen to live in a close proximity.

Some guys go straight to NBA from HS.

It would be a fun thing to watch, and I am not a basketball fan.

Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

One guy very rarely makes it. One guy is still one guy.

LeBron James' high school team could not beat a WNBA team. Come on.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'm just trying to get a handle on the gender gap in athletics. This isn't like the "College football champs vs. the worst NFL team" or other such idiocy, just wondering where the fulcrum is.

Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:15:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Before they banned HS-NBA there was rarely if ever more than one player per year that could make that jump and if there were two they sure as hell didn't play on the same HS team.

You guys are seriously underestimating the quality of play in the WNBA.  Those girls could beat most NCAA D-I mens teams.

Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Oh, bullshit... There is a point where they just get their asses run over because they can't keep up athletically. Weren't they all excited a few years back because they had ONE person in the league who could dunk?

Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One guy very rarely makes it. One guy is still one guy.

The guys would have a height advantage, I would think.

Like I said, it would be interesting, but only against an inner-city HS team that was top notch.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Skill of WNBA is tightly matched.

Skill of HS basketball team is all over the place.

But in general a top HS basketball team will wipe them off the court.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Basketball sucks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You guys are seriously underestimating the quality of play in the WNBA.  Those girls could beat most NCAA D-I mens teams.

That could be. Maybe they're awesome at defense, and that's why the scores are so low.

Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, bullshit... There is a point where they just get their asses run over because they can't keep up athletically. Weren't they all excited a few years back because they had ONE person in the league who could dunk?

The way most HS boys wish they could play I'm more impressed by a reliable lay-up than a dunk.  There are no style points in basketball.

Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#18]
WNBA

Professional female basketball players seem to have tremendous fundamentals and understand the game - even moreso than the NBA where each trip down the floor is basically a 1-on-1 game with eight other guys watching the action.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Before they banned HS-NBA there was rarely if ever more than one player per year that could make that jump and if there were two they sure as hell didn't play on the same HS team.

I wouldnt go quite that far. HS probably, but most NCAA D-1 teams would kick their ass.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#20]
WNBA easily.  

I'm with Krpind on this one.  You take a group of Women who are playing at the absolute top of that sport, against a group of high school boys who play the game because its fun and they play on a certain team because they live in certain proximity of a school.  

The pros will take that easily.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

WNBA

Professional female basketball players seem to have tremendous fundamentals and understand the game - even moreso than the NBA where each trip down the floor is basically a 1-on-1 game with eight other guys watching the action.

I think that is because of the athleticism, when the breakaway happens, it happens, and there might be one guy who can catch him, and if he can't, it's getting slammed home with near nil chance of missing. You can block a lay-up from behind or beside, but you're not blocking a breakaway dunk unless they completely clown it. Put a guy in the WNBA, and it would be a 1 on zero, with 9 people watching...

Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
WNBA easily.  

I'm with Krpind on this one.  You take a group of Women who are playing at the absolute top of that sport, against a group of high school boys who play the game because its fun and they play on a certain team because they live in certain proximity of a school.  

This needs to be a Pay-per-View event.

I would watch, if the best HS team in the country was involved.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Except the OP did not state "a group of high school boys" - he stated a team capable of winning a state championship. Big difference.

Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Except the OP did not state "a group of high school boys" - he stated a team capable of winning a state championship. Big difference.  

WNBA would never allow this matchup.

Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

same outcome.  Believe it or not a High School state championship team boys squad is a group of high school boys none the less.  The pros still take it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I SERIOUSLY doubt that.  The size and speed advantage is HUGE in NCAA DIV-I men's basketball.  

In my younger days, I played pick up and summer league against some NCAA DIV-I players (Billy McCaffrey great up in my home town area and I played him several times, as well as some other unknown DIV I players––mostly large black guys from Jersey and Philly) and those guys are so much better than they are given credit, it is RIDICULOUS.  I was a decent  high school player (6'4" shooting guard, and small forward––could jump pretty well then and had great stamina), and it was like I was a little kid against those guys.  

The WNBA team would do ok IF they stuck to zone defense, and smart half court play, but ultimately would be worn to pieces by the larger and more physical men.  That's another thing non-players don't get, is that basketball is very similiar to football in terms of sheer physicality.  Indeed, it's an old recruiting truism that the best basketball players usually make for good football players, and many players come from either sport and eventually decide on one or the other (not the really tall guys of course).  
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WNBA easily.  

Mark Cuban should throw down a few million and make this happen. I suppose it's a lose-lose for the WNBA, though. It would probably be kind of insulting to them in their quest for legitimacy to be pitted against high school kids, and if they lost, it would be huge kick in the ovaries.

Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I SERIOUSLY doubt that.  The size and speed advantage is HUGE in NCAA DIV-I men's basketball.  

In my younger days, I played pick up and summer league against some NCAA DIV-I players (Billy McCaffrey great up in my home town area and I played him several times, as well as some other unknown DIV I players––mostly large black guys from Jersey and Philly) and those guys are so much better than they are given credit, it is RIDICULOUS.  I was a decent  high school player (6'4" shooting guard, and small forward––could jump pretty well then and had great stamina), and it was like I was a little kid against those guys.  

The WNBA team would do ok IF they stuck to zone defense, and smart half court play, but ultimately would be worn to pieces by the larger and more physical men.  That's another thing non-players don't get, is that basketball is very similiar to football in terms of sheer physicality.  Indeed, it's an old recruiting truism that the best basketball players usually make for good football players, and many players come from either sport and eventually decide on one or the other (not the really tall guys of course).  

Yep, didn't Charlie Ward (is that his name) go from QB at Florida State and play NBA?
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

THis.  No way chicks can handle the size.  Heck, the guys I use to run with might beat them.   A few times college girls would show up and yes, fundamentally they were very good.  But if you played good clean D and took rebounding seriously, sorry girls.

Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#30]
There are nearly 350 NCAA D-1 mens teams - the vast majority of them nowhere near the tournament caliber teams you're probably thinking of.  I'm not talking last place ACC teams, I'm talking last place Colonial Conference teams or worse.

Again, if there's one women's player in the NCAA that could conceivably start for a men's squad, there are 10 of them on a WNBA team.

My money is on the ladies and it wouldn't even be close.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WNBA easily.

I'm with Krpind on this one. You take a group of Women who are playing at the absolute top of that sport, against a group of high school boys who play the game because its fun and they play on a certain team because they live in certain proximity of a school.

Mark Cuban should throw down a few million and make this happen. I suppose it's a lose-lose for the WNBA, though. It would probably be kind of insulting to them in their quest for legitimacy to be pitted against high school kids, and if they lost, it would be huge kick in the ovaries.

The WNBA is a joke anyway.  The last time I checked, the WNBA has never had a profitable season.  They are wholy subsidized by the NBA.

I was watching ESPN sometime ago and they were talking about the gender gap in sports.  Not about performance, but about pay.  Some WNBA player was saying that she dreamt about a time when WNBA players made as much as NBA players, as though the difference was a result of blatant sexism.  I didn't know whether to laugh or shoot the tv.  Why would WNBA players expect to get paid more if the service they are providing is currently not in enough demand to support their current salaries.  I seem to remember years ago there was talk of the WNBA going on strike.  It never went anywhere, but I thought it was pretty funny.  Kinda makes you wonder just how huge a loss the NBA is willing to eat for the sake of "equality".

Oh, and I'm pretty sure a USA Today ranked boys basketball team could beat a WNBA team.  If for no other reason than because they actually jump.

Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:39:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, didn't Charlie Ward (is that his name) go from QB at Florida State and play NBA?

I personally think that those players are just great athletes in general- and a guy who is tall quick and has good hands makes an EXCELLENT receiver. However, a lot of basketball players just aren't mentally up to the task of the direct contact (on EVERY play) that football demands.

With that being said, this guy was also a basketball player, so it ain't just receivers:

Unless I'm mistaken, a study was done comparing male athletes to female ones. this included things like track and field times etc. They found that women compete at the level of 16 year old boys (which prompted the joke: "Wow, so it seems that the difference between men and women is testosterone!" ). Now it's possible that this study is an example of a phenomenon in statistics called "garbage in -garbage out" (ex: Gallup polling ),  but there is at least some truth to it.     Can EVERY HS team beat a WNBA team outright? No. but I'm willing to bet the games would be competitive, and in the cases of a talented team - the HS men would win. Too big, too strong, too fast.

Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

same outcome.  Believe it or not a High School state championship team boys squad is a group of high school boys none the less.  The pros still take it

Just because they are "pros" does not mean squat. Believe it or not  a top HS basketball team is not "group of high school boys". Every member of a state champ team is probably 6-8  inches taller than the female, every member is significantly heavier, faster, stronger, quicker, probably better coached too. It would be laughable - females suck at basketball - it favors size, speed, strength too much.

I respect your opinion though.

Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

The WNBA team would do ok IF they stuck to zone defense, and smart half court play, but ultimately would be worn to pieces by the larger and more physical men.  That's another thing non-players don't get, is that basketball is very similiar to football in terms of sheer physicality.

Zone or person-person, how are they going to stop passes to a 6-10 285 center who bench presses presses 250 lbs with ease and sits at low post? The men will be playing a game of horse shooting wise as their will be nobody who could even put a hand in their face. Women will have 50% of their shots swatted likes flies..... The women will get near-zero rebounds...

The size matchup is overwhelming. I am guessing most of those picking the WNBA have never played serious ball and don't realize how big & athletiic top HS BB teams are.

Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The WNBA team would do ok IF they stuck to zone defense, and smart half court play, but ultimately would be worn to pieces by the larger and more physical men.  That's another thing non-players don't get, is that basketball is very similiar to football in terms of sheer physicality.

Zone or person-person, how are they going to stop passes to a 6-10 285 center who bench presses presses 250 lbs with ease and sits at low post? The men will be playing a game of horse shooting wise as their will be nobody who could even put a hand in their face. Women will have 50% of their shots swatted likes flies..... The women will get near-zero rebounds...

The size matchup is overwhelming. I am guessing most of those picking the WNBA have never played serious ball.

It would probably be a lot like the NBA playing Shaq. Have a rotation of guys, er gals, to foul the shit out of him and make him shoot from the line for every point?

Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:58:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Boys rule, girls drool.

Link Posted: 8/20/2009 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The size matchup is overwhelming. I am guessing most of those picking the WNBA have never played serious ball and don't realize how big & athletiic top HS BB teams are.

The op didnt say the all american high school boys line up or any top team,  He gave examples of Iowa and North Dakota.  I'll give you that  the absolute best of the best in high school are skilled.  but we are talking about people who have probably a good 8 years more of training, experience, and are in the athletic prime of their lives.  High School kids are still immature both physically and mentally.  

And i have played serious ball and i do realize how athletic SOME high school BOYS are.  I think the people voting HS boys are writing off these women way too easily.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 8/20/2009 3:35:47 PM EDT
[#39]

This one keeps erroring out, not sure why, it played once for me here.

These guys would own a WNBA team, IMHO.

We will never know for sure, until a matchup happens.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Skill of WNBA is tightly matched.

Skill of HS basketball team is all over the place.

But in general a top HS basketball team will wipe them off the court.

This !!!!
Jay
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#41]
I had a friend in grad school who would go down to the ghetto in DC and play pickup games.  He claimed he and four guys from a street pickup game could beat a WNBA team.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Some of you underestimate the strength and speed of young men. Any male HS track star runs faster than the women world record holders in the 100 200 etc. Any HS Male basketball star can dunk and play above the rim unlike females, even pro. Girls would get decimated.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You get it!
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#44]
A good, well-coached high school basketball team would win easily. It would be hard for the WNBA team to get a rebound.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#45]
I have nothing to add to this thread except that the WNBA is a joke.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You get it!

Well what y'all don't get is there is one 6'10" 285 lb kid at every 100 high schools in the country who is an athlete ....if that many.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Just to let you guys know, Elliot in the morning radio show played a WNBA team.  They scored points.  They don't even play basketball.

Yes they lost by 60 points...  But how do you score points on a professional team when you shoot hoops maybe 10 times in the last 10 years?

Here you go
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#48]
What, No Girls of the WNBA pic's?!
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#49]
State champion HS boys would put up a big number.  Figure on fast 6'6" forwards and 6'8" centers and REALLY fast 5'10" to 6'2" guards.

I think it would be close, but I bet the HS Champs from most states could win 6 out of 10 times.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Is being so unattractive worth this minor talent? lets ask the fan...........
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top