Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2009 1:17:08 PM EDT
Lots of people buying pistols.  Lots of people looking at EBR style rifles.  Hard to get close to the ammo (at least the kind I buy ).  

I kind of lingered behind those shopping (sometimes 2 or 3 deep) at the counter and listened.  Most of these folks had obviously not bought a gun before - certainly not the types of guns they were handling.

I thought it worth noting.

Link Posted: 8/8/2009 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool.

Thanks for posting the info.

I just hope all of these folks join the NRA, if they aren't already members.

ETA

In my area, Charlotte NC , the buying frenzy is pretty much over. This is according to the gunshops I do business with. And I visit them once or twice a week.

Ammo, especially .45acp is still hard to find.

The shops are starting to see firearms coming back from people who over bought, maxed out credit cards, etc.

Concealed carry classes, on the other hand, are booked up well into next year.

Link Posted: 8/8/2009 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#2]
More first-time gun owners is a good thing, IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Good to hear.  And +1 on joining the NRA.

I went to one of the stores here in Bako, yesterday and there were a lot of retired vets in there.  Mostly looking at the older mil surplus rifles.  One I think was going to buy an M1 Garand.
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#5]
That's awesome. Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#6]
People are definitely starting to wise up!
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a good thing indeed.
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I like going to Cabelas on occasion with a suppressed SBR, pull it out and start shopping hard cases or some such

I get a lot of:

Followed by the questions which I use as an opportunity to teach that SURs arent scary bad things.
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 1:26:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I think there is a second wave of buyers.

I've been to Bass Pro often lately and the gun counter is brisk with business - even have more staff now all the time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I was at cabelas last week and the guy behind the counter made me. He was telling a story about his friend playing with his handgun and accidently firing it, and it going through the wall. He stood there with his finger on the trigger swinging the pistol around as he talked, then he acted it out, through the pistol in the air, caught it , and dry fired it in a direction that pointed right at another coworker behind the counter about 10 feet away. From  when i watched he didnt check to see if the chamber was clear.

There was a good hour wait to be waited on at the gun counter, and it was 1PM on a wednsday

Wow my spelling just made me
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was at cabelas last week and the guy behind the counter made me. He was telling a story about his friend playing with his handgun and accidently firing it, and it going through the wall. He stood there with his finger on the trigger swinging the pistol around as he talked, then he acted it out, through the pistol in the air, caught it , and dry fired it in a direction that pointed right at another coworker behind the counter about 10 feet away. From  when i watched he didnt check to see if the chamber was clear.

There was a good hour wait to be waited on at the gun counter, and it was 1PM on a wednsday

I guess I'm a bit slow tonight –– could you clarify your point?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/8/2009 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think there is a second wave of buyers.

I've been to Bass Pro often lately and the gun counter is brisk with business - even have more staff now all the time.

This is what I was picking up too.  These are not the same folks who depleted the shelves late last year and in the spring.  These folks, for the most part, looked both determined and scared at the same time.  It's been a little uglier in the Missouri town halls than most places.  This was one of the first places the union goons showed up.  

Of course, I want a new USP compact in .45 and this isn't helping the prices any, BUT I'll pay more if more people are exercising their 2A rights.
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

How the guy who is selling firearms to people showed the worst handling of a firearm i have ever seen. Pointing it at numerous people, having his finger on the trigger the whole time, and basically treating it like a toy.

He through the gun in the air, pointed it at a fellow co worker and pulled the trigger on a handgun he didn't check to see if it was loaded. (of course he knows its unloaded but still)

Now if this is the way a first time buyer sees someone handling a firearm who is supposed to be "experienced" with firearms, how do you expect these first time gun owners to act with their new handgun?

Link Posted: 8/8/2009 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#15]
On Friday, a work day, there were over a dozen people at Gander Mt., nearly all at the Pistol counter. I remember counting and wondering how 3 employees would handle them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

How the guy who is selling firearms to people showed the worst handling of a firearm i have ever seen. Pointing it at numerous people, having his finger on the trigger the whole time, and basically treating it like a toy.

He through the gun in the air, pointed it at a fellow co worker and pulled the trigger on a handgun he didn't check to see if it was loaded. (of course he knows its unloaded but still)

Now if this is the way a first time buyer sees someone handling a firearm who is supposed to be "experienced" with firearms, how do you expect these first time gun owners to act with their new handgun?

OK. That is sloppy and very dangerous.

There are 4 rules of firearm safety and it sounds like this man broke them all.
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe they are buying because they have seen how the .gov is reacting to the Town Hall meetings.
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#19]
i was at gander the other day..  shelf STOCKED FULL of .223 even some federal xm193 was on sale for 12$ a box!!!!

the locked cabinet had about 7 MP15's a few of the Remington varmint camo versions,   a few of the mossberg and remington HD shot guns. in which i was SO tempted on bringing one home..  

too scared to spend money

thanks bamy'
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I just got back from a day's visit to Cabelas with the family.  I had almost forgotten how absolutely obscene their firearm prices are  on most things.

They did have a Bushy .50BMG in the case, hadn't seen one up close before.  Had several of the Remington ARs with camo and triangular barrels, S&W .22 AR, which looked quite nicely finished, bunch or other ARs and everything else you could think of.  Even had a couple of POF ARs on the rack.  (at least, I'm pretty sure they were POF, the counter was pretty crowded and I wasn't fighting my way up front)
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Cabelas is probably pretty busy this weekend with that gift card they deal they are having.
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
More first-time gun owners is a good thing, IMHO.

+1
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Was in a local place mid day during the week and it was packed with people buying guns, they had five guys working the counter and that wasnt nearly enough, and this is in Jersey.
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I've bought 3 pistols and 1 rifle in the last month.

During 2 of the pistol transactions elderly (and very nice) couples have become part of the deal - asking what I got, what size bullet kind of questions.  The seemed to be trying to figure out what kind of person buys a gun - as if one has been telling the other mate that indeed regular folks buy guns and not nutjobs.

Both times it was pretty cute.  I think some old folks want guns and have found there way to the Bass Pro gun counter, but are simply afraid to do the deal without making friends first.

I guess their watching and making mental notes that it really isn't that hard to buy a gun.

I'm encouraged that these older folks refuse to be victims.

Link Posted: 8/8/2009 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Bout the NRA....seems like we are on the same page.  The hunting site I visit seem to think they are bothersome  I'll just say im not the favorite person on that site.
Top Top