Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2009 6:37:21 PM EDT
So I have a friend that has a original perfect condition Sten MK2 that was brought home by his late Grandfather from WW2. We got to talking about it and he told me he has been thinking about listing it on Gun Broker. What kind of value do you think it could be worth. I will try to get to email me a pic.
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Not much.  I'll give you tree fiddy.
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#2]
tell him not to sell it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
tell him not to sell it.

+1

What would he do with the money he would make?  There's not a whole lot of people that can pass down a Sten.
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends.

Is it currently on a Form 1, 3 , or 4?
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Depends.

The biggest question.... Is it on a form at all?

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends.

This is the critical question.  If it was amnestied prior to the cut-off, it would be worth a lot (especially as a bring-back), but if it's not in the NFA registry, it's not really worth much of anything.  

It will actually bring in about $100...

For the parts kit you will have after you have to hack-saw it into a couple pieces before the ATF sees this thread and raids his house.

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#8]
It was grandfathered to him, yes I am sure it is registered, I'll have to ask which form. He has several Class 3 items AR related. He lost his job several months ago and has been selling off things left and right to keep his house and cars. I am waiting on a pic and I will find out about everything else.
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Grandpa's bring back Sten would not be close to the top of my for sale list when money gets tight. Not if I had other Class 3 guns to sell. .
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Grandpa's bring back Sten would not be close to the top of my for sale list when money gets tight. Not if I had other Class 3 guns to sell. .

this
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#11]
If it's properly registered,  I'd say it's probably worth about 250 bucks.   Where should I send the check to?

It seems that the fair market value on such an item is between about 4000 and 7000 dollars, depending on age,

condition, manufacturer, configuration, rarity, etc...

CJ
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I agree. There's other guns that can probably be sold before the Sten.
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
tell him not to sell it.

I agree. Is it transferable? That makes a $4k difference in price.
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#14]
He said when his Grandfather died he filled out a Form 5 and it was done tax-free. He is planning on selling off everything if things don't change. Here's a pic

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Dunno, either a lot or zero if it isn't transferable or registered.
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice.  WANT!

I'd say in the 7K range.  It's definitely in beautiful shape and is a prime example.   It's got to be in the top value range for its type.

CJ

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#17]
If that were my grandfather's bring back from WWII, there's no way in hell I'd sell it.  I'd go work as a jizz mopper to make ends meet if I had to.
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, if it's not registered, about 10 to 20 years.
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#19]
That gun is beautiful. It must be a hard decision to sell.

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
He said when his Grandfather died he filled out a Form 5 and it was done tax-free. He is planning on selling off everything if things don't change. Here's a pic

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/2749/23590928dscf0008.jpg

Oh my goodness. I so want that. I just wish I had the cash.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#21]
beautiful gun, i agree that it should be the last class3 sold... my last 2 thing to go are my ar, and my bow will be the last possesion i sell if it ever came to that... i mean homeless, but id still have my bow... how else ya gonna eat?
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I agree. Worth several thousand if registered, worth maybe 10 years if not.
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I would be homeless in a tent with my sten and a can of baked beans.
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 8:59:02 PM EDT
[#24]
NFA Transferrable Registered Sten Tube guns bring about $4000 to $5000 depending upon condition and build quality.

Keep in mind the the "Tube" designation basically means that the main receiver of the gun started out as automotive muffler pipe and had the cocking slot cut and a demilled Sten welded to it to create a Sten type machinegun.  While these are mechanically identical to a real British Sten they are on the lower end of the machinegun totem pole from both a Sten collectible hierarchy as well as the overall transferrable machinegun market. (with only the "Mac" and Stemple Tube guns generating a lower average selling price)

The reference that it was inherited on an ATF Form 5 confirms that this gun most likely falls into the "transferrable" pool.  (although there is technically an outside chance this is a Pre-86 dealer sample, meaning it was imported between 68 and 86 but your story doesn't lend itself to this outcome)

However, this particular example appears to be an uncut/never demilled genuine miltary capture and bringback it woudl certainly collect a higher premium in the collector market for folks who absolutely have to have an original gun vs. a clone or copy.

The analogy being that this Sten is the Original 1921A1 "Colt" Thompson vs a Auto Ordance "West Hurly, NY" gun.  Mechanically and visually almost identical but one command a pricetag of $30K and the other $10K.

Not saying your Sten is work $30K but I would speculate that if you are patient and worth waiting for the right buyer to come along you would most certainly get a higher dollar than your average run of the mill Sten "Tube" gun.

Personally, I would contact the ATF NFA branch to confirm that they still have records of the registration (as their record keeping is sort of a well know mess) as you may have to send in a copy of the approved ATF F5 to get it back into the electronic system depending upon how long ago grandpa died. Better to get that confirmed/staightened out with the ATF prior to posting it for sale.

My suggestion to get more information would be to post your question on subguns.com as I specialize and collect post -WW2 machineguns and don't track WW2 bring back values much.  Another alternate suggeston would be to contact Bob Naess at Black River Militaria as he would probably be able to give you a good frame of reference on valuation.  

Then eventually put on ad on subguns, sturmgewehr for sale (as this is where the majority of online machinegun sales take place and you would get the most visibility).

Good luck with your sale and as others have mentioned I would try and do whatever I could not to let the gun out of your family.

James
Austin, Texas

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Here is an original sten (ie C&R) for $6800. The finish is not nearly as good.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4sale.cgi?read=118421

Registered stens built on parts kits run about $4300.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top