Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What happened to slaves who worked hard their whole lives and then just became old and frail? Did they just live out the rest of their days relaxin on the plantation? Did the masters find some busy work to keep them occupied?

This, for the vast majority of slaves.

They were usually called "Aunt" or "Uncle" and treated kindly.  Many Southerners were basically "raised" by their Mammies and loved them all their lives.

That is the truth.  We will now wait for the mouth-foaming haters of the South to come into the thread screaming and hating.

I would say this, in the instances when the slaves made it to old age. Of course, there are always extremes on either side. Some were probably "liquidated" although I doubt it was a frequent practice at all. just as I find it unlikely they were often allowed to retire to being "Aunt" or "Uncle" before putting in many hard years of work

Actually, on the big plantations, the jobs were often hereditary. One black family would be the house family for generations, acting as maids, nannies, butlers, etc., while another black family would work the fields, herd the cattle, etc.

Most slaves had the white family working the farm right alongside them with the same chores.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone who believes in the Second Amendment and WHY we have it has no business defending, in any way, slavery or slaveowners.

IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Texas invented Chili for a reason.

Well... hello there, nice of you to show up.    You gonna get loved tenderly in this thread.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would imagine that most didn't live that long.  The ones who did were most likely given work that they could handle, like put to work as butlers, nannies, housekeepers, etc.

The part in red is the problem, my friend.

It doesn't really what someone might "imagine".  All that matters is the facts.

And the facts are that it would have been foolish to "work a slave to death", as they were very valuable and were needed to run the business.  Unless they died from disease (which killed whites just as frequently), they lived as long as anyone else.

Older slaves were "retired" to jobs that they could handle.

That's what Irish indentured servants were for.  Funny how things LIKE THIS don't make it into the history books

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:47:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What happened to slaves who worked hard their whole lives and then just became old and frail? Did they just live out the rest of their days relaxin on the plantation? Did the masters find some busy work to keep them occupied?

They were usually called "Aunt" or "Uncle" and treated kindly.  Many Southerners were basically "raised" by their Mammies and loved them all their lives.

That is the truth.  We will now wait for the mouth-foaming haters of the South to come into the thread screaming and hating.

I heard that some slave-owing southerners were actually surprised that their slaves fled during the civil war.

They thought that the slaves liked them, and considered them to be friends.

Its a weird piece of history via personal diary that you never really hear about.

Ironicaly after the end of WW2 many german prisoners of war opted to stay in the UK because of how well they were treated.
They settled and integrated into the community regardless of how deep the hatred was of the hun during the war.

Taffy

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Seriously, it's bad enough when you get the yankees that have to piss all over your ancestors and tout a distorted view of history, but when they move to YOUR home and start bitching about how you do things differently and everything should be just like the shitty northern place they fled from, it gets frustrating.

Those are the Yankees that give the rest of us a bad name. Just like the 5% of southerns that really are toothless dumbasses give the other 95% a bad name. (Note: Northern states probably also have a 5% toothless dumbass rate)

I've spent the last five months in Ohio and have never met ruder people. I've also never seen such widespread, open racism either. At home, you never hear someone yelling racial epithets in public, regardless of whether or not they're racist dicks. Up here, it's a daily occurence. It's also pretty rare to see anything other than white people. There's a few blacks, a handful of hispanics, and a grand total of two Asians that don't work in the town's only Chinese restaurant.

Ive spend a far about of time in AR and GA and agree that northerns are more racist in general. This is I beleive because people dont like what they dont know anything about and up here in the north we dont have as many blacks. Southerns are more used to having blacks around and know more. Also in the north most of our blacks are urban gangbangers where black populations exist in the south in rural areas. Therefore we see the worst part of society (gangs) as a black thing and not what it really is: an urban poor thing.

Then again, I am stranded in the most redneck town of all of Ohio, according to all the Ohio residents I've met who are familiar with the area. There's a family living in two railroad cars welded together in the middle of fucking downtown. I shit you not. And, irony of ironies, I see a shitload of Confederate battle flags up here. Up here, it seems to represent "I hate black people". Back home, it either represents your pride in your family history or your political persuasion (like the Gadsden Flag; identical sentiments.). So it's easy to see how a lot of northerners and people from out west get the mistaken impression that the south is full of racist hicks because we have a lot of Confederate flags; it means something different where they're from and they think the meaning is universal.

In the north, the confederate flag is a symbol of racism or anti-government. In the south it can still mean those things, but is more complicated to differentiate because most people just have a southern pride/family pride thing.

This post makes me want some southern BBQ and/or southern Ribs. Im just tossin that out there.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would imagine that most didn't live that long.  The ones who did were most likely given work that they could handle, like put to work as butlers, nannies, housekeepers, etc.

And the facts are that it would have been foolish to "work a slave to death", as they were very valuable and were needed to run the business.  Unless they died from disease (which killed whites just as frequently), they lived as long as anyone else.

Sir, you make it sound so simple and friendly.  Why heavens, they weren't worked to death, that would have been INHUMANE, and CRUEL.  Why, I am certain that those old slaves who were retired to the plantation house were genuinely thankful to live out their remaining days in a "kindly" atmosphere.  Never mind that they had spent their entire life in back-breaking servitude, denied the basic freedoms which are so loudly touted on this board, and seemingly loudest by Texans.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ironicaly after the end of WW2 many german prisoners of war opted to stay in the UK because of how well they were treated.
They settled and integrated into the community regardless of how deep the hatred was of the hun during the war.

This is true in America and Canada too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard that some slave-owing southerners were actually surprised that their slaves fled during the civil war.

They thought that the slaves liked them, and considered them to be friends.

Its a weird piece of history via personal diary that you never really hear about.

The Civil War really is a  bizarre series of events.

When the southern states seceded, the senators and Congressmen from those states would say their farewells to the Union representatives, and there would be tearful goodbye parties and wishes of luck. That was before the war. After the war, the same southern senators and Congressmen went to take their seats back and the northern senators and Congressmen threw a shit fit over it. Especially over the ones who showed up wearing a Confederate uniform with all the military insignia removed because it was the only suit they owned.

Yeah. Cry, shake their hands, and wish them luck when they leave, then treat them like the scum of the earth when they come back.

Both sides also "cashiered" prisoners. POW's would be released and expected to stay at home without returning to active military service until an equal number of enemy POW's were also cashiered or a certain length of time had passed, depending on the agreement. AND THEY ACTUALLY DID IT. "Sorry Major, I can't return to duty until November. I got cashiered." "Ok then, I understand. You stay at home and tend the farm, we'll send someone to get you when your time is up."

They finally started keeping prisoners to deprive the other side of trained soldiers; the south released POW's far more often and later into the war than the north, mainly because they didn't have the resources to feed prisoners.

Meanwhile, some of the northern POW camps were deliberately starving prisoners to death by the thousands.  If you were a yankee and got captured, you got to starve until the south released you because they couldn't afford to feed you. If you were a southron and got captured, the north would cut off your food and let you sit in a disease-infested mudhole until you died.

Bizarre series of events indeed.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sense to me.  It'd be equally foolish to work a farm animal to death, or to run a car until it falls apart in the middle of the road.  

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm from Maryland and I am a Yankee.  I even have a direct ancestor who was in the Union Army, he died in a Confederate POW camp.  I like beans in my chili.  

But I know better than to believe what the liberals told me in public school.  

Like it or not, if you are from Maryland then you are a Southerner.

Embrace it because it can't be denied.

Well, I've also got family from West Virginia...  When I've been to southern states like North Carolina and Florida, I have to say I liked it down there more than I liked it further north (like in Michigan, New York, New Jersey, etc).  People are nicer down south.  

West Virginia is stolen land. Literally.

Doesn't mean Virginia wants it back though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well now, that's right decent of them to let the people who did not enjoy freedom or rights and were forced to perform hard labor all of their lives do a little light labor in their twilight years.

There is no reason to foam at the mouth about it, slavery was disgusting in all respects.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sir, you make it sound so simple and friendly.  Why heavens, they weren't worked to death, that would have been INHUMANE, and CRUEL.  Why, I am certain that those old slaves who were retired to the plantation house were genuinely thankful to live out their remaining days in a "kindly" atmosphere.  Never mind that they had spent their entire life in back-breaking servitude, denied the basic freedoms which are so loudly touted on this board, and seemingly loudest by Texans.

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah!

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there realy that big a devide btween the north and south.?
Over here there is a north south devide but mainly it is light hearted and not taken too seriously.

Cheers
Taffy

Yeah.  Northern urban liberals really look down their nose at the south as racist hicks.  Southerners don't really care for yankees for a lot of reasons they can better explain than me.

I dont look down on the South, I just wish the ones who still make a big deal over the war get over it.

How seriously is this taken? are we talking a bit of banter or are we talking hatred?

Cheers
Taffy

Not hatred.  More like snide contemptuous remarks at worst.  Until recently, neither would prefer living in each other's region.  But that's changing as the cost of living around New York is becoming ridiculous and the economy in Michagan is collapsing, forcing northern white people to move to the south where the economy's better and the cost of living is much much lower, especially in urban areas in the south like Atlanta, Georgia and Charlotte, North Carolina.

Not to mention that the weather is much better!
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As stated previously, most slaves transitioned to jobs they could do as they aged.  Contrary to the movie Roots, most plantation owners were not ruthless masters who use the whip and stocks to maintain fear amongst his workers.  More and more evidence is surfacing that many slave owners were just everyday people and treated their slaves humanely.  This doesn't mean that they were treated equally, but humanely.  

Additionally, as slaves aged, many were given their freedom to go North and join with family.

Slaves were often allowed to 'run away' to visit friends and family on other farms and plantations. It was a vacation for them, and something tolerated by the slave holders.

It's when they never came back that people got miffed.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what Irish indentured servants were for.  Funny how things LIKE THIS don't make it into the history books

I'm descended from Irish immigrants.  Surprisingly, I haven't heard much about my ancestors being indentured servants.  What I do know is that my most direct Irish ancestor immigrated to the US in the 1840's to Philadelphia.  He had a wife and something like 6 kids.  He joined the Union Army as a Private in about 1860 or so.  He was captured at the battle of Ball's Bluff and died in Libby prison in Richmond as a POW (he got sick).  His platoon leader (who had also been captured) helped his wife collect his pension after the war.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyone who believes in the Second Amendment and WHY we have it has no business defending, in any way, slavery or slaveowners.

IMHO.

Care to point out a single person in this thread who has said that slavery is a good thing?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, since you like facts, then you should know the fact that a slave's life expectancy was half of their owners' life expectancy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know these facts are difficult for you to believe.  You have been indoctrinated by a liberal education all your life.

Read some history and you will find a different set of facts.

Sure, some slaves were terribly mistreated.  Those people that did such things are despicable.

But the actual relationship between slaves and their owners in the old South were not what you imagine.

Again, I'm not suggesting that slavery was "right", but only explaining how the system really worked.  It was not like you have been told.

I thought not being free was being mistreated in and of itself. Silly me.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Precursor to Soylent Green

Soylent brown?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#23]
The thing about slaves is that they are not labor, they are capital.  I dont know for sure but I bet they were treated like any other business treats old machinery or vehicles:  Sold off at a deep discount to people who couldn't afford new, young slaves.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, we're just evil bastards to the Irish, aren't we? I mean, look at the Panama Canal. Nobody died building that thing, amirite?

Disease is a bitch. Doesn't mean people were treated like shit and literally worked to death.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously, it's bad enough when you get the yankees that have to piss all over your ancestors and tout a distorted view of history, but when they move to YOUR home and start bitching about how you do things differently and everything should be just like the shitty northern place they fled from, it gets frustrating.

Those are the Yankees that give the rest of us a bad name. Just like the 5% of southerns that really are toothless dumbasses give the other 95% a bad name. (Note: Northern states probably also have a 5% toothless dumbass rate)

I've spent the last five months in Ohio and have never met ruder people. I've also never seen such widespread, open racism either. At home, you never hear someone yelling racial epithets in public, regardless of whether or not they're racist dicks. Up here, it's a daily occurence. It's also pretty rare to see anything other than white people. There's a few blacks, a handful of hispanics, and a grand total of two Asians that don't work in the town's only Chinese restaurant.

Ive spend a far about of time in AR and GA and agree that northerns are more racist in general. This is I beleive because people dont like what they dont know anything about and up here in the north we dont have as many blacks. Southerns are more used to having blacks around and know more. Also in the north most of our blacks are urban gangbangers where black populations exist in the south in rural areas. Therefore we see the worst part of society (gangs) as a black thing and not what it really is: an urban poor thing.

Then again, I am stranded in the most redneck town of all of Ohio, according to all the Ohio residents I've met who are familiar with the area. There's a family living in two railroad cars welded together in the middle of fucking downtown. I shit you not. And, irony of ironies, I see a shitload of Confederate battle flags up here. Up here, it seems to represent "I hate black people". Back home, it either represents your pride in your family history or your political persuasion (like the Gadsden Flag; identical sentiments.). So it's easy to see how a lot of northerners and people from out west get the mistaken impression that the south is full of racist hicks because we have a lot of Confederate flags; it means something different where they're from and they think the meaning is universal.

In the north, the confederate flag is a symbol of racism or anti-government. In the south it can still mean those things, but is more complicated to differentiate because most people just have a southern pride/family pride thing.

This post makes me want some southern BBQ and/or southern Ribs. Im just tossin that out there.

You understand perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
But yes. Old wounds tend to flare up. Especially because yankees seem to thrive on pissing all over one's ancestors.

In Louisiana, having to have part of the state property tax sent to Washington every year until the early 1960's didn't help.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get off your high horse, Don Quixote. You're tilting at windmills, not giants.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:02:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Over here there is a north south devide but mainly it is light hearted and not taken too seriously.

Cheers
Taffy

For reference, the tension between north/south is less than that between the English/Scottish.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah!

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9179/uncleremus.jpg

Ironically, the guy who played Uncle Remus was prevented from seeing the premier of the movie he starred in because it was a white-only theater.

Remus: "Son of a bitch!"

Who the fuck thought segregation was a good thing?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers
Taffy

For reference, the tension between north/south is less than that between the English/Scottish.

IMO, the tension today between the north and south isn't at all what it once was, before any of us here were born.  Usually, when a southerner calls me a damn Yankee, it is said in jest.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#32]
sent them north
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I see the mouth-foamers are here, so I will bow out.

You fellows have a good evening.

Vito?

Actually, the "holy fuck, I'm shocked to see Old_Painless seemingly apologizing for slavery" people are here.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers
Taffy

IMO, the tension today between the north and south isn't at all what it once was, before any of us here were born.  Usually, when a southerner calls me a damn Yankee, it is said in jest.  

No it's not....
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Who the fuck thought segregation was a good thing?

Southerners.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMHO.

Care to point out a single person in this thread who has said that slavery is a good thing?

"Slaves weren't treated all that bad." etc.

A "well-treated" slave is still a SLAVE.  How many people here would trade away their second amendment rights for free food, health care, shelter, etc.?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get off your high horse, Don Quixote. You're tilting at windmills, not giants.

Your response addresses anything in this thread, how?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Precursor to Soylent Green

Soylent brown?

This is Arfcom.  It would be soylent FDE or soylent UDE.  Maybe Coyote.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

GR
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"They were sold down the river."   Which means they were taken to gulf seaports and exported to Central America to work cane fields until yellow fever killed them.

Wow.  Unmitigated bullshit from up north.  Thanks for that insight.

What kind of money do you think a geriatic slave brings, smart guy, to send them all the way to Central America?

My family had slaves, and on the inventory of my great great grandfather's estate are several names, listed with "no value."  These are old slaves, who I am sure just did menial tasks like watched children or tended a garden.  I know one of them was the fisherman for the plantation on the York River, providing fish and oysters for the big house and the slave cabins as well.

Please spare us anymore of your imaginary history from up there in MA

raising children and growing food is a menial task? you sound like a libtard

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMHO.

A "well-treated" slave is still a SLAVE.  How many people here would trade away their second amendment rights for free food, health care, shelter, etc.?

Didn't we just establish in the the last election that a large part of the citizens of this country did exactly that???????
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm descended from Irish immigrants.  Surprisingly, I haven't heard much about my ancestors being indentured servants.  What I do know is that my most direct Irish ancestor immigrated to the US in the 1840's to Philadelphia.  He had a wife and something like 6 kids.  He joined the Union Army as a Private in about 1860 or so.  He was captured at the battle of Ball's Bluff and died in Libby prison in Richmond as a POW (he got sick).  His platoon leader (who had also been captured) helped his wife collect his pension after the war.  

I'm about 45% German and 45% Irish. My German ancestors moved to Texas and enlisted in the Confederate army. My Irish ancestors got drafted into the US army the moment they stepped off the boat.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers
Taffy

Or, you know, that thing they've had going with the Irish for a while now.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I see the mouth-foamers are here, so I will bow out.

You fellows have a good evening.

Vito?

Actually, the "holy fuck, I'm shocked to see Old_Painless seemingly apologizing for slavery" people are here.

So Old_Painless merely states that slavery in reality was different than it is portrayed in the movies and suddenly he's "apologizing for slavery"? Look at it this way, no one here doesn't think slavery is possibly the worst evil human beings have ever invented. Does it really need to be demonized beyond the idea that owning another human is wholly evil?

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

For some that was the case. For others, that was certainly not the case.

No matter how you slice it, it was still slavery - and was still wrong.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:Look at it this way, no one here doesn't think slavery is possibly the worst evil human beings have ever invented. Does it really need to be demonized beyond the idea that owning another human is wholly evil?

I don't think slavery is the worst thing we've ever invented.

It was very much a normal thing up until the time that the USA decided to end it.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#47]
A lot of old slaves were "permitted" to live off by themselves somewhere on the plantation, if there was no job they could do around the plantation. Not exactly what they wanted, being all by themselves.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For SOME that was the case.

For others, that was certainly not the case. No matter how you slice it, it was still slavery - and was still wrong.

And who the Hell ever said it wasn't? Damn you people can read all sorts of shit into everything that is posted.
Get the Hell over it. Nobody has been condoning slavery.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:Look at it this way, no one here doesn't think slavery is possibly the worst evil human beings have ever invented. Does it really need to be demonized beyond the idea that owning another human is wholly evil?

I don't think slavery is the worst thing we've ever invented.

It was very much a normal thing up until the time that the USA decided to end it.

Something being normal doesn't mean it's not evil. Female circumcision is normal in many parts of Africa, is it good?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMHO.

Didn't we just establish in the the last election that a large part of the citizens of this country did exactly that???????

good point
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top