Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Holy shit.... They're getting Abrams tanks? That just gave Iraq a HUGE tactical edge over every single Arab nation in the region.

Yes it did... wait until their American soldier shooting police force gets their hands on them.

Stupid.....  

Link Posted: 3/7/2009 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#2]
M1 is a pretty easy target to find for a JDAM.

This x10000

Come on guys, the Abrams is an awesome tank, no one is arguing that, but lets be honest here.  Both times we rolled into Iraq most of their army was wiped out by bombs and hellfires, there were only a few substantial tank battles and in every one we kicked their asses HARD.  Do you really think selling them a few watered down tanks is going to have any impact if we ever have to fight them again?  I saw good for them, hopefully it makes us some money, and will help stabilize Iraq so we can get out of there.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell, we armed Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden.  Why should this be a surprise to anyone?

A box of rocks (and stupid rocks at that) is smarter than you.

Pretending it aint true makes you look silly

Well technically only the selling of arms to Saddam is true, we never armed Osama.  The Saudis did though .

I thought we gave them Stinger missiles when he was fighting Russia?

we also sold f-14's to iran in the 1970's. we had techs there showing them how to use  and maintain them..  then the gov. was overthrown,  the techs sabatoged them when the left the country.

eta:   someone beat me to this. saw a program on history channel.  the weapons system was what the techs sabatoged. planes were supposed to have been grounded shortly after from lack of spare parts.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wonder if we are giving them Abrams with Chobham armor. If we are, then it will definitely give them an advantage in the region.

????  The armor of the Abrams is all Chobham-type....that was the whole point of building the M1 Abrams in the first place.  It is more resistant to HEAT-type rounds (shaped-charge, or chemical-reaction type anti-tank rounds vs. tungsten or DU solid penetrators).

The M1A1SA is the "Situational Awareness" model, and from another message board: "What the crews particularly like about these SA (Situational Awareness) models is the new Blue Force Tracker (BFT) gear, which reliably shows them where all friendly (BFT equipped) vehicles are at all times, on a map display.  Then there is the new and improved thermal sights, that provide better images at longer ranges (exact range is secret, but said to be over two kilometers).  The .50 caliber machine-gun topside gets a thermal sight.  There is now a phone box mounted on the side, for the infantry to use to talk to the crew.  There are a lot of upgrades and improvements in the electrical system, many based on soldier suggestions.  The experience in Iraq has thus produced a version of the M-1 that is optimized for infantry support."

From my past experience as a USMC tanker on M60A1 (RISE-Passive), the M1A1 is heads-and-shoulders above the M-60 series....MUCH more reliable, less maintenance-intensive, higher readiness rate, and is MUCH MUCH more lethal on the battlefield.  Sort of like comparing a Ford Festiva to, say, an Audi A8 on a road course race: NO COMPARISON.

T-72s are OLD peices of shit....small, cramped, outdated fire-control systems and only decent at short ranges.  Even old M60-series tanks have nearly TWICE the effective killing range of T-72s/T-80s/whatever.  In 1982, an Israeli tank equipped with the L7 NATO-standard 105mm rifled main gun (originally a British design) and firing an APDS (Armor-Piercing Discarding Sabot solid penetrator) round, took out a Syrian T-72; what is remarkable is that the solid APDS penetrator not only when through the front hull (traditionally the thickest part of a tank's armor, and sloped in an attempt to deflect incoming rounds) but also the mid-ship bulkhead (separating the crew compartment from the engine compartment) AND the engine block!  The Russians were stunned, and I've since seen videos of American engineers and designers shooting the same rounds, as well as the DU APDS/APFSDS rounds, through T-62s, T-55s, and T-72 captured by the Israelis in the same manner, and the penetrators could be seen exiting the rear of the engine block.... WOW!  IIRC, the T-72 also has an auto-loader feature standard, which makes the gunner/tank commander have to depress the main gun all the way in order for the shell casing to eject out of the rear of the turret.... this creates a HUGE lag time in between shots, as the gunner/TC have to re-acquire their targets each time!  Sort of like shooting a bolt-action rifle against a semi-auto rifle in a gunfight.  The Russians & Ukranians have provided all kinds of "upgrades" to the T-72/T-80/T-90 series but the bottom line is that the best upgrade for these pieces of shit is to switch to an entirely new tank design.

I'm sick of hearing how "great" the German Leopard 2 tanks are....BULLSHIT!  The Germans and their damn tanks are like that one friend we ALL have, who has a super-nice and super-clean immaculate car and/or gun, but NEVER puts them to use....yet he talks all kind of smack about how great that car or gun would perform if really put to the test, but will never be tested since that might mean two things: A) the car/gun gets a scratch or mark on it, and/or B) its shortcomings may actually be exposed.  Yes, the Germans have the nicest and best military equipment, especially tanks, for not begin combat-tested.  They look great for dog-and-pony shows while lots of dignitaries, VIPs, and cameras are present, and they also look good in parades & inspections.  But how do they perform in REAL combat?  We will probably never know.  Not even our NATO allies equipped with Leopard 2 tanks want to put them to the test either, which really makes me wonder about their true effectiveness.

The best tanks in the world are clearly M1A1/M1A2-series and the British Challengers; at least the Brits aren't afraid to combat-test their equipment!!!  **ADD-IN: Isreali Merkava 3 & 4-series** PISS ON the Leopard 2s!  If they are so great, why did the Australians decline them in favor of M1A1s, especially when they were staunch users of Leopard 1s for so long?  And the REFORGER exercises used to really illustrate the lack of effectiveness of German armored forces compared to American & British, since the German tankers couldn't even perform the most basic maintenance on their tanks ("Ja, we threw a track pad, we better park on the side of the road and wait for the mechanics to come fix it."  RUBBISH!!!).  So please spare me with comparisons of German, Swedish, and French tanks vs. American & British tanks.  PLUS, the Swedish STRV is a modified Leopard 2 anyway.  The LeClerc 2 is just another AMX piece of trash, besides it's French!  Who the hell would ever take the French military, let alone military equipment, seriously????

Equipping the IA with these M1A1SAs is a good idea, as they are on the front line in the stand against Iran.  When I finished my 7-year stint in Desert Shield/Storm, all the Arab nations in the Gulf Region were extremely concerned with Iranian sword-rattling...so I can only imagine how paranoid they must be now.

And for the nay-sayers, if we really really had to take those M1A1s out, our superior air-ground attack forces would handily knock them out....if another nation ever developed their Close Air Support to the level our Armed Forces have, our military would be in real trouble.  What will help the IA maintain an edge over Iranians & others will be the lack of effective Iranian close air support.

Link Posted: 3/7/2009 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

we also sold f-14's to iran in the 1970's. we had techs there showing them how to use  and maintain them..  then the gov. was overthrown,  the techs sabatoged them when the left the country.

eta:   someone beat me to this. saw a program on history channel.  the weapons system was what the techs sabatoged. planes were supposed to have been grounded shortly after from lack of spare parts.

Correct.  However, they are like the F-16s we were going to sell to Pakistan: dumbed-down radar and fire control systems, so they are NOWHERE near as effective as the American versions.  They are basically just for parade & media fly-overs (as well as the ever-famous PhotoShopping opportunities for media dupes).

Link Posted: 3/7/2009 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy shit.... They're getting Abrams tanks? That just gave Iraq a HUGE tactical edge over every single Arab nation in the region.

Not so much...
Syria, IIRC also has M1s

Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt.

Not Syria.  Definitely not Syria.

CORRECTAMUNDO.

Syria uses T-72s, which are basically garbage.  We won't allow Syria to have M1-anythings.

And Israel declined purchasing M1s, although they were offered sweetheart deals several times.  They felt that they got more "bang for the buck" from their Merkavas, which are outstanding MBTs.  Merkavas are based on battlefield experiences, and it is no secret that the Israelis get a LOT more mileage out of discarded tanks than anyone else in the world (M51 Ishermans, M48-series, M60-series, and Centurions, not to mention captured T55s and T62s).

Link Posted: 3/7/2009 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.  However, they are like the F-16s we were going to sell to Pakistan: dumbed-down radar and fire control systems, so they are NOWHERE near as effective as the American versions.  They are basically just for parade & media fly-overs (as well as the ever-famous PhotoShopping opportunities for media dupes).

Incorrect Iran also recieved the Aim 54.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#8]
the export version is "downgraded"  I was on a training team for the Saudi's and the Eqyptians.... I couldn't find anything different.. the "rumor" was that their nav and fire control systems could be turned off via satellite... that's just the rumor.. btw... Saddam got 2 M1's waaaay back in the day during the Iran-Iraq war.. they were specially made with a 125 mm gun from a T72... no one has found one yet... no one knows where they went... true museum pieces for vehicle collector buffs.. the only 2 of their type ever made... kind of a suck up offering to keep killing Iranians... that was the policy of the time.  bit of trivia for you folks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We already give sold Saudi Arabia Abram tanks.

Link Posted: 3/7/2009 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah and I'm sure a few will end up in Russia  &  China to be torn down and documented to build thier own !!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not sure what the "SA" stands for, but I know the MIA's they recieve will be the export model, I'm not sure if the level to which their downgraded is classified or not, so I will leave that alone, if someone can find it from an unclass source feel free to post it, if not i'm keeping my mouth shut for OPSEC reasons.  Lets just say they may have them, but that doesn't mean we couldn't get a catosrtophic kill if we needed to.

Word for word from three different public sources;

"M1A1 Export variants, with the export armor package and different options (such as multi-fuel diesel engines) ..."

So, likely NOT the DU/Ceramic "chobham" armor, NOT the fire control package, and NOT the turbine engine.

But, still.. a significant improvement.  The M1 has a fearsome reputation.  Any hypothetical opposition Iranian armor commanders aren't going to be making the distinction between US and Export Abrams - they're going to be busy wetting themselves greatly, based on the Abrams reputation.  (Well, that'd be a good sales pitch, at the least...)
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Equipping the IA with these M1A1SAs is a good idea, as they are on the front line in the stand against Iran.  When I finished my 7-year stint in Desert Shield/Storm, all the Arab nations in the Gulf Region were extremely concerned with Iranian sword-rattling...so I can only imagine how paranoid they must be now.

I spent some time with some SA model abrams the other day and can say that they are day and night compared to a regular M1A1.   the iraqi army will not be getting these for a loong time.....
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
More toys for Iran when they take over Iraq. They already have F14's. The Chinese will line up to pull them apart and study them

only 4-5 fly and they have few if any weapons for them IIRC.

This pictures is dated 17 Apr 08.  Looks like they were able to get 12 in the air at one time.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/9024/f14c.jpg

Full size picture

Sure those arent MiGs?

Look behind the MiGs.

When did Iran get the Mig 29s? I thought they bought some Su Flankers or some shit a few years back.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whether we armed the various warlords in Afghanistan (to include those who identified or allied with the Taliban) during the Soviet occupation or not, really doesn't matter.  Doing so benefited the U.S. and her allies when the perceived military "might" of the USSR was set back in the eyes of the world and especially our allies-not to mention those in the Warsaw Pact.

I'm not aware of any of those weapons (much of it coming from Egypt-lots of small arms and munitions) being used against us.  Between the pullout of the Soviet Army and the Taliban coming to power, there was a lot of inter-tribal fighting where I imagine much of the U.S. supplied weapons were used up (if the Afghans aren't fighting empires, they're fighting each other).  The CIA kept pretty good control of the distribution of Stinger SAMs, and recently stated that they had been mostly accounted for (that was reported in the media years ago).

All of you will recall, that despite the evil plot to "arm the Taliban" by "neocons", not one of those weapons was used to attack us on 9/11-unless we armed the Muj with commercial aircraft.  

I don't think so.  

As for Iran, arming and assisting Iraq made sense.  Sadaam was the most logical choice to help stop the spread of the "Islamic Revolution" that Carter allowed to suceed (or at least did little to keep in check).  It's one thing to fight incompetent Arabs, but it's another to fight incompetent fanatical Arabs-I prefer the former.  Apparently, so did the far-sighted Reagan administration.  If Iraq used any U.S. supplied weapons against me, I'm unaware of it.  The crap he gave his "Republican Guard" was the stuff that jokes are made of, and I won't even get into what the conscripted soldiers of the Iraqi Army were given to fight with, poor bastards....

So whether we armed these yahoos 20-30 years ago or not is a moot, largely (if not completely) left-wing (and therefor idiotic) talking point.  Absolutely meaningless, as whatever we gave these idiots to kill each other off with was overmatched in a big way as soon as the first U.S. troops starting killing them.[/div]

USMCTanker,
                     Thank you for properly addressing this oft-repeated idiotic michael moore talking point. Beers are on me.

Thanks!  In fact, I'm enjoying a cold Stella Artois at this moment .

Link Posted: 3/7/2009 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Already happening.  Last week IIRC, it was 4 US Soldiers that were killed by Iraqi soldiers we armed and trained.

Brilliant.  Simply Brilliant.

whats your point?  insurgents dont wear jackets with a giant iron on logo on their backs denoting who they are.  you are going to have infiltrations of bad guys into the army and police forces.  Ive been set up into a complex ambush by iraqi police before. then we hammered them royally, and starting splitting up units to lose cohesion and communication between anti US forces.

if you can think of a better way to secure an entire third world nation without allowing them to create their own army and police then I am all ears. if you can find a way to positively weed out potential insurgents from the tryout process and keep them all honest I will let you fuck my wife.

maybe you could enlist and pull 12-26 months over there yourself to do some research like the rest of us in this thread who are apparantly wrong on our opinions of adequately arming the iraqis.

It's often said that the most dangerous thing in the world is a newly commissioned 2nd Lt. with a map and compass.  It isn't.  

Instead, it's a young Soldier or Marine with multiple combat tours and enough first hand, practical-application experience in geo-politics to make the most tenured professor at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University feel like a simple dumbass (which he or she probably would be anyway).  Turn said individual loose on a forum freqented by those spouting left-wing dogma, and the results are predictable:  Common sense (accompanied by a healthy dose of cynicism) prevails, and liberal campaign slogans are made to look like the straw-man arguements that they are.  All this from a young Soldier probably on his first enlistment.  Daemon734 gets it (as usual), so why can't everyone else?

God forbid this guy ever gets out and goes to school.  He'll cause riots on campus, hilarity will ensue-a must see.

I'm buying the beer if he ever makes it to NC.    

Link Posted: 3/7/2009 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
BAGHDAD - Iraq will receive 140 Abrams battle tanks from the United States to bolster its forces, the U.S. Army said March 7.

The Iraqi army had taken "a major step in the force modernization of its armored units with the recent procurement of 140 M1A1SA Abrams main battle tanks," a statement said.

The tanks were due to arrive over 18 months in groups of 35.

Iraqi troops would begin training with U.S. officers to operate the tanks in December 2010, the statement added. It gave no detail about whether the United States had sold or given the tanks to the Baghdad government.

Before the ouster of Saddam Hussein's regime in 2003, the Iraqi army had a fleet of mostly aging Russian T-72 tanks.

On Jan. 1, some 260,000 Iraqi soldiers took over control of security operations in Iraq alongside the police after the UN mandate governing U.S.-led forces deployed in the country expired.

Most U.S. troops are due to be withdrawn from Iraq within 18 months.

Big Oil and the MIC, that is what this whole thing was about.

Monkey hear, monkey repeat.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why give them Abrams? Give them some M-60-2000's. Between those and their modernized T-72's, they should be able to take on Iran pretty easily. Syria would be a lot tougher to handle, but it could be done. Iran AND Syria? They're gonna need backup no matter what.

Iranian armor:

Tanks:

Type 59: 220
Type 69: 200
Zulfiqar 3: 500+
Chieftan: 200 (upgraded and renamed Mobarez)
T-72: 480
T-72Z: Unknown (upgraded T-55's, not actual T-72's)
T-62: 150
M-60A3: 950
M-48 Patton: Unknown
M-47 Patton: Unknown
Scorpion light tank: 80 (90mm gun variant)
Tosan light tank: 20 (Scorpion clone)

IFV's:

Type 86: 50
BMP-1: 210
BMP-2: 400

APC's:

M113: 5,500
BTR-60: 300
BTR-80: 850
Unknown numbers of numerous other models

Syrian armor:

Tanks:

T-55: 2,150
T-62: 1,000
T-72: 1,600

IFV's:

BMP-1: 2,100
BMP-2: 100

APC's:

Unknown numbers of BTR's

Iraqi armor, pre-2003 invasion

Tanks:

Type 59: 1,500 (as of 1990)
Type 69: 1,500 (as of 1990)
T-72: 375 (as of 2003; 1,000 in 1990)
T-62: 19 (as of 2003; 1,500 in 1990)
T-55: 406 (as of 2003; 1,500 in 1990)
Chieftain: 30 (as of 1990)
M-47 Patton: 20 (as of 1990)

I'd say the first Gulf War kinda depleted the Iraqi army of its armor. Then the 2003 invasion raped them some more.

Current and anticipated equipment of the new Iraqi army:

M1126 Stryker IFV: 400 on order
M1A1 Abrams MBT: 280 on order (140 to be delivered by 2010, total of 700 as maximum possible order), 22 on loan for training
T-55: 4 (found in a buried base and returned to active duty)
T-72: 77
(others disassembled for parts; supposedly 2,000 were to be donated by other nations and upgraded to the same standards as the current Russian T-90 by the US and Ukraine, but this fell through.)
M-60A3: Supposedly, the US would supply 1,000 of these but that fell through too

We were through, weren't we.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2009 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if we are giving them Abrams with Chobham armor. If we are, then it will definitely give them an advantage in the region.

????  The armor of the Abrams is all Chobham-type....that was the whole point of building the M1 Abrams in the first place.  It is more resistant to HEAT-type rounds (shaped-charge, or chemical-reaction type anti-tank rounds vs. tungsten or DU solid penetrators).

The M1A1SA is the "Situational Awareness" model, and from another message board: "What the crews particularly like about these SA (Situational Awareness) models is the new Blue Force Tracker (BFT) gear, which reliably shows them where all friendly (BFT equipped) vehicles are at all times, on a map display.  Then there is the new and improved thermal sights, that provide better images at longer ranges (exact range is secret, but said to be over two kilometers).  The .50 caliber machine-gun topside gets a thermal sight.  There is now a phone box mounted on the side, for the infantry to use to talk to the crew.  There are a lot of upgrades and improvements in the electrical system, many based on soldier suggestions.  The experience in Iraq has thus produced a version of the M-1 that is optimized for infantry support."

From my past experience as a USMC tanker on M60A1 (RISE-Passive), the M1A1 is heads-and-shoulders above the M-60 series....MUCH more reliable, less maintenance-intensive, higher readiness rate, and is MUCH MUCH more lethal on the battlefield.  Sort of like comparing a Ford Festiva to, say, an Audi A8 on a road course race: NO COMPARISON.

T-72s are OLD peices of shit....small, cramped, outdated fire-control systems and only decent at short ranges.  Even old M60-series tanks have nearly TWICE the effective killing range of T-72s/T-80s/whatever.  In 1982, an Israeli tank equipped with the L7 NATO-standard 105mm rifled main gun (originally a British design) and firing an APDS (Armor-Piercing Discarding Sabot solid penetrator) round, took out a Syrian T-72; what is remarkable is that the solid APDS penetrator not only when through the front hull (traditionally the thickest part of a tank's armor, and sloped in an attempt to deflect incoming rounds) but also the mid-ship bulkhead (separating the crew compartment from the engine compartment) AND the engine block!  The Russians were stunned, and I've since seen videos of American engineers and designers shooting the same rounds, as well as the DU APDS/APFSDS rounds, through T-62s, T-55s, and T-72 captured by the Israelis in the same manner, and the penetrators could be seen exiting the rear of the engine block.... WOW!  IIRC, the T-72 also has an auto-loader feature standard, which makes the gunner/tank commander have to depress the main gun all the way in order for the shell casing to eject out of the rear of the turret.... this creates a HUGE lag time in between shots, as the gunner/TC have to re-acquire their targets each time!  Sort of like shooting a bolt-action rifle against a semi-auto rifle in a gunfight.  The Russians & Ukranians have provided all kinds of "upgrades" to the T-72/T-80/T-90 series but the bottom line is that the best upgrade for these pieces of shit is to switch to an entirely new tank design.

I'm sick of hearing how "great" the German Leopard 2 tanks are....BULLSHIT!  The Germans and their damn tanks are like that one friend we ALL have, who has a super-nice and super-clean immaculate car and/or gun, but NEVER puts them to use....yet he talks all kind of smack about how great that car or gun would perform if really put to the test, but will never be tested since that might mean two things: A) the car/gun gets a scratch or mark on it, and/or B) its shortcomings may actually be exposed.  Yes, the Germans have the nicest and best military equipment, especially tanks, for not begin combat-tested.  They look great for dog-and-pony shows while lots of dignitaries, VIPs, and cameras are present, and they also look good in parades & inspections.  But how do they perform in REAL combat?  We will probably never know.  Not even our NATO allies equipped with Leopard 2 tanks want to put them to the test either, which really makes me wonder about their true effectiveness.

The best tanks in the world are clearly M1A1/M1A2-series and the British Challengers; at least the Brits aren't afraid to combat-test their equipment!!!  **ADD-IN: Isreali Merkava 3 & 4-series** PISS ON the Leopard 2s!  If they are so great, why did the Australians decline them in favor of M1A1s, especially when they were staunch users of Leopard 1s for so long?  And the REFORGER exercises used to really illustrate the lack of effectiveness of German armored forces compared to American & British, since the German tankers couldn't even perform the most basic maintenance on their tanks ("Ja, we threw a track pad, we better park on the side of the road and wait for the mechanics to come fix it."  RUBBISH!!!).  So please spare me with comparisons of German, Swedish, and French tanks vs. American & British tanks.  PLUS, the Swedish STRV is a modified Leopard 2 anyway.  The LeClerc 2 is just another AMX piece of trash, besides it's French!  Who the hell would ever take the French military, let alone military equipment, seriously????

And for the nay-sayers, if we really really had to take those M1A1s out, our superior air-ground attack forces would handily knock them out....if another nation ever developed their Close Air Support to the level our Armed Forces have, our military would be in real trouble.  What will help the IA maintain an edge over Iranians & others will be the lack of effective Iranian close air support.

Excellent post.  Well said.  3rd TkBn?

Link Posted: 3/7/2009 11:06:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it did... wait until their American soldier shooting police force gets their hands on them.

Stupid.....  

Yep, might as well leave 20 or 30K M-16 laying around for someone to pickup when the Iraqi army scatters.
We have left them almost every where else.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 11:07:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
More toys for Iran when they take over Iraq. They already have F14's. The Chinese will line up to pull them apart and study them

This pictures is dated 17 Apr 08.  Looks like they were able to get 12 in the air at one time.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/9024/f14c.jpg

Full size picture

There was something about the rest of the planes they had getting cannibalized to make that flight. The threat of the F-14s they have is nothing. They can't fly them enough to train on any level to really fight and lack the modern weapons for them.

I have no idea how much they fly them or what they have in the way of weapons for them, just know from the pictures I have found at airliner.net that they still have some flying.

Its huge pain in the ass keeping 30 year old F-15s fling with the USAF's supply system, hate to image what kind of shit they have cobbled together to keep these things flying.[img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_freak.gif[/img]

Never saw any US F-14s with as nice of paint jobs as these have. [img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/img]  That could be a sign as to how much they fly. [img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_wink.gif[/img]

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4067/1404334.jpg
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1885/1459437.jpg
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2386/1459443.jpg
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/932/1476393.jpg
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9923/1494015.jpg
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4222/1349642.jpg

"Cobbled together" is exactly right.  Last I heard, Iranian F14s (you know, the ones that the Pentagon wanted to destroy in a campaign of air strikes in 1979, but Carter refused because he didn't want to perturb the Iranians) were using Russian and Chinese engines.  Yes, they are that desperate, if you know how bad those engines are.  As for avionics (without which an airplane become an expensive noise-machine), who knows?  The value of Iranian F14s is confined to propaganda purposes only, at this point.    

The Iranian Air Force is a joke.  It would be eradicated in about two days if fighting ever broke out.  While the Iranian armed forces might be more capable and fight better than the Iraqis, that isn't saying much.  Faith in Allah only goes so far, and doesn't replace up-to-date or upgraded weapons systems supported by a well funded log train.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 11:49:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Are they paying for these or are we? This shit has to stop. I pay almost 50% taxes and it could easily be 25% if we didn't give money to Hamas and fund Pelosi's Jet and pig odors.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 11:57:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Better to equip them with old Soviet tanks like the T-72.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 12:00:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We already give Saudi Arabia Abram tanks.

Sold

Link Posted: 3/8/2009 12:10:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell, we armed Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden.  Why should this be a surprise to anyone?

A box of rocks (and stupid rocks at that) is smarter than you.

Pretending it aint true makes you look silly

Says the brainiac who needs to use large fonts as a substitute for substance?

Regardless, why don't you list US weapon sales to Osama? And while you are at it, why not explain how the sale of a few unarmed choppers counts as 'arming' Saddam?

FAIL !!!

Anyone that has watched....Charlie Wilson's War knows the answer to that question......YES, we armed the Afgans in the late 70's ..to take down the Soviet's..then we walked away & the TALIBAN canme to power...and attacked us on 9/11 & since then have seen the deaths of ALOT of our brave troops & spent Billions of Tax payers dollars fighting them... Again I say WILL WE EVER LEARN ??  NO, WE WON'T ...so... ..lets keep Arming people that in a few years will be our enemy , because of this lucrative arms contract or that policy shift.....  

OH, PS >> Watch who you call names... because I have watched the USA for years constanly repeating the same blunders & mistakes over & over again....he who forget history is DOOMED to repeat it...... Crack few Military & political  Hisory books, Get unbrainwashed , pull that American flag out of your arse & open your eyes...let me guess you also believed Obama's lies and voted for him too, Right  ???  Simpleton

Actually, the Taliban had nothing to do with 9/11 other than providing real-estate for Al Queda to train on...

And we armed the folks that later became the Northern Alliance - the Taliban were largely a creation of the Paki ISI.

We *have* to re-arm Iraq, or when we leave Iran WILL invade.

And we have to re-arm them with adequate western weponry too, to go with the western military tactics we are teaching them!

Would you rather them buy their weapons & more importantly WEAPONS PARTS and FUTURE UPGRADES from the RUSSIANS?

Fuck that! The US arms industry is one of the few that can stand on it's own in the face of foreign competition WITHOUT tariffs & protectionist measures...

We should be actively seeking more customers for our weapons (We do make the best, after all)....
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 12:11:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No way. They will get dumbed down versions.

They still should be better than anything Iran or its neighbors have or there would be no reason to spend alot on M1s.

They are on par with (or slightly better than, if we're talking new production) the M1s the Kuwaitis, Saudis and Egyptians have....

And better than the Russian bullshit that MOST of their neighbors field...
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 12:19:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect Iran also recieved the Aim 54.

And shot them all in the Iran Iraq war...

Their supply of spare parts was very limited, and the F-14s are essentially reduced to recon & AWACS duties at this point (the ones that still fly, anyhow)....
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 12:19:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Are they paying for these or are we? This shit has to stop. I pay almost 50% taxes and it could easily be 25% if we didn't give money to Hamas and fund Pelosi's Jet and pig odors.

They're paying....
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 12:20:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit they have more than that flying.  Hell they even figured out how to make Hawk SAM as a replacement for the AIM54s
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 12:20:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can see it now; Norinco M1 Abrams available through Marstar of Canada.

Awesome! They'd probably be like 10grands lol I can now build my own tank force!
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 12:21:36 AM EDT
[#30]
What about the junker planes Iran bought from Russia? I heard they got some su-27s or something.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 12:23:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit they have more than that flying.  Hell they even figured out how to make Hawk SAM as a replacement for the AIM54s

Bullshit?

How long can they keep all 12 flying during a conflict? They started with 40-ish planes F-14s. The 12 or so shown in their dog and pony show will be down to 4-5 when they start picking parts off of other Tomcats to keep some in the air. The weapons they make are not very impressive compared to ANY western missles.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 12:31:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
snip

And WTF do you figure we've been doing with our Leo2s? And Denmark too?
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 12:32:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This is fucking bullshit.

I quit

You are such a shitbird.  Start your separation paperwork already.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 12:43:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The Iranian Air Force is a joke.  It would be eradicated in about two days if fighting ever broke out.  While the Iranian armed forces might be more capable and fight better than the Iraqis, that isn't saying much.  Faith in Allah only goes so far, and doesn't replace up-to-date or upgraded weapons systems supported by a well funded log train.

After long consideration, I am not a proponent of attacking Iran.

Their Air Force is ineffectual, that is true, but it need not be strong for the Iranians to achieve their objectives.

The Iranians have been strong supporters of asymmetrical warfare for a long time now.  They know how to fight insurgencies and use irregulars to engage mechanized forces.  They have supplied terrorists in many countries and militias in Iraq and Lebanon.  They know that fighting on our terms would yield them a loss.

So they have bought a large number of missiles which they would use to attempt to deny us the use of the skies and the seas.  I am not sure that their air defenses will perform an adequate job of doing what they were purchased to do, given the easy manner in which the Israelis bypassed a similar Russian built system in Syria.  But even then, they need not prevent our planes from flying over their territory.  The need only to deny us targets.

We can hit anything we want, but knowing what to hit is much more difficult.  Essential government services can be spread out.  Laboratories and factories can be moved or buried for the duration.  Military equipment can be hidden.  If they are like the Serbs, they will stick a telephone pole out of a shed and allow us to waste a sortie and a JDAM on it.

Meanwhile, they have anti-ship missiles tucked away on the shores.  They can be fired in large numbers from short range.  The target can be a tanker, a surface combatant, anything of that sort.

If we are foolish enough to enter their country, I predict greater difficulties still.  The country is two and a half times larger than Afghanistan with twice as many people, almost all of whom reside in the mountainous regions.  

The Iranians are technically and tactically proficient enough to use the same kind of tactics that their agents in Iraq have used to great effect.  Anticipate IEDs and EFPs, snipers, and the like from the beginning.  Also, the Iranians have a love affair with martyrs and suicide bombing.  They believe that dying for your country is an honor, and they will not be deterred by casualties.  They are more nationalistic than the Iraqis.  Instead of engaging in a four or more way civil war they will have only one enemy.

As for logistics, the Iranians would not try to emulate an American logistical structure but rather one more like Mao's.  And it would work better than we would like to think.

America has no real doctrine for counterinsurgency warfare in the absence of a host government, and we can anticipate that establishing one hastily would mean that it would not be viewed as legitimate.

So I don't think that our future would look very bright if it involved anything more than a very limited strike against Iran.

Link Posted: 3/8/2009 1:31:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Do we have to go through this yet again? How many times since 2003 have we addressed this issue?

We never armed Iraq. We provided Iraq satellite intelligence when they were fighting Iran, but no weapons.

As far as Osama, are you friggin' nuts?
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 2:04:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not so much...
Syria, IIRC also has M1s

CORRECTAMUNDO.

Syria uses T-72s, which are basically garbage.  We won't allow Syria to have M1-anythings.

And Israel declined purchasing M1s, although they were offered sweetheart deals several times.  They felt that they got more "bang for the buck" from their Merkavas, which are outstanding MBTs.  Merkavas are based on battlefield experiences, and it is no secret that the Israelis get a LOT more mileage out of discarded tanks than anyone else in the world (M51 Ishermans, M48-series, M60-series, and Centurions, not to mention captured T55s and T62s).

Not all T-72's are equal, you know. Most T-72 clients, including all of the Middle East, got the monkey model. Iraq had these and domestically-produced copies of even worse quality.

A bare-bones tank that hasn't been upgraded in decades and has simple steel plate armor, firing obsolete HEAT or even solid steel rounds, versus a tank with composite armor, ERA, and modern AP ammo? Which outnumbers them? And has full air superiority, so the majority of Iraqi tanks are getting obliterated by missiles that would annihilate ANY tank in existence? No contest, T-72 loses.

A Russian late-model T-72 with a better engine, composite armor and ERA, modern laser rangefinder and thermal sights, modern ammo, active defense systems, and a crew that actually trained is going to do a lot better than Achmed, Akbar, and Ramma-lamma-ding-dong in their Lion of Babylon T-72 that Saddam had built from spare parts back in the 80's. Not as good as the Abrams (since, you know, there's a freaking twenty ton difference between them) obviously, but a heck of a lot better than what the Middle East is fielding.

Bragging about the T-72 being junk because Iraqi tanks got ass raped by total air superiority, a massive technology gap, numerical superiority, AND better training is like bragging about the FAL being junk because some poor bastard by himself with nothing but his FAL and steel-pot helmet got owned by a whole platoon of Army Rangers with the latest gear.

So, to conclude: Iraqi (and by extent Iranian and Syrian) T-72's were, by and large, shit. The T-72 itself, is not.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 2:12:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah and I'm sure a few will end up in Russia  &  China to be torn down and documented to build thier own !!!

See something of an influence on the design there? They couldn't rip it off like they did the humvee and the Eurocopter, but they definitely were taking notes. No idea how good it is though. Could be a pretty effective tank, or it could be utter shit. We'll see.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 7:55:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not so much...
Syria, IIRC also has M1s

CORRECTAMUNDO.

Merkava is the absolute best tank in the world... for Israel. The Abrams would have been a great performer for the Synia region, not so much for the Golan and West Bank, Merkava does better in the Golan, and West Bank and can also perform alright in the Synia region. They made the right choice. As to your other post about the Leopard, the Leopard 2A6EX is a great tank. As to it not being put to the test, guess what type of tanks are the only ones operating in Afghanistan, Leopard 2A6DK and Leopard2A6CA. The Danish contingent and the Canadians have Leopard 2's and they aren't shy about using them in Helmland.

For Example:
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
the export version is "downgraded"  I was on a training team for the Saudi's and the Eqyptians.... I couldn't find anything different.. the "rumor" was that their nav and fire control systems could be turned off via satellite... that's just the rumor.. btw... Saddam got 2 M1's waaaay back in the day during the Iran-Iraq war.. they were specially made with a 125 mm gun from a T72... no one has found one yet... no one knows where they went... true museum pieces for vehicle collector buffs.. the only 2 of their type ever made... kind of a suck up offering to keep killing Iranians... that was the policy of the time.  bit of trivia for you folks.

That is an absolute rumor that has been debunked more times than I can count by some very knowledgeable people. It's like the damn Mattel M-16 myth, or the basic training buffer suicide story, fucker just won't die.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you figure that?
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 7:58:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Already happening.  Last week IIRC, it was 4 US Soldiers that were killed by Iraqi soldiers we armed and trained.

Brilliant.  Simply Brilliant.

whats your point?  insurgents dont wear jackets with a giant iron on logo on their backs denoting who they are.  you are going to have infiltrations of bad guys into the army and police forces.  Ive been set up into a complex ambush by iraqi police before. then we hammered them royally, and starting splitting up units to lose cohesion and communication between anti US forces.

if you can think of a better way to secure an entire third world nation without allowing them to create their own army and police then I am all ears. if you can find a way to positively weed out potential insurgents from the tryout process and keep them all honest I will let you fuck my wife.

maybe you could enlist and pull 12-26 months over there yourself to do some research like the rest of us in this thread who are apparantly wrong on our opinions of adequately arming the iraqis.

It's often said that the most dangerous thing in the world is a newly commissioned 2nd Lt. with a map and compass.  It isn't.  

Instead, it's a young Soldier or Marine with multiple combat tours and enough first hand, practical-application experience in geo-politics to make the most tenured professor at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University feel like a simple dumbass (which he or she probably would be anyway).  Turn said individual loose on a forum freqented by those spouting left-wing dogma, and the results are predictable:  Common sense (accompanied by a healthy dose of cynicism) prevails, and liberal campaign slogans are made to look like the straw-man arguements that they are.  All this from a young Soldier probably on his first enlistment.  Daemon734 gets it (as usual), so why can't everyone else?

God forbid this guy ever gets out and goes to school.  He'll cause riots on campus, hilarity will ensue-a must see.

I'm buying the beer if he ever makes it to NC.    

I can't think of a better way to put into words what you just said. Bravo to the both of you.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Last I heard, they are using their massive oil money fund to purchase these.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Better to equip them with old Soviet tanks like the T-72.

They are getting refurbed T72's to supplement the refurbed T-72's they alredy have as their primary MBT. The number of Abrams they have will make it part of a more high tiech armored unit, sort of like how we used to have the 4th ID as te Digital Division.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.armyrecognition.com/Asie/Chine/vehicules_lourds/Type_98/Type_98_main_battle_tank_china_003.jpg

http://www.enemyforces.net/tanks/type99.jpg

See something of an influence on the design there? They couldn't rip it off like they did the humvee and the Eurocopter, but they definitely were taking notes. No idea how good it is though. Could be a pretty effective tank, or it could be utter shit. We'll see.

I expect better from even you man. The Chinese didn't rip off shit with the Type 96 or Type 98. They wised up and used a turret made of welded armor instead of the same old cast armor that the Russians use. Even the Russians figuered this out witht he Welded turret of the T-90s.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 8:12:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Ok, here is a question for those who can do AFV ID. What is this.

Link Posted: 3/8/2009 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/hybenamon/LAND/ARMOR/TRACKED/MISC/0zolf-pic1.jpg?t=1236528695

Zulfiqar

Link Posted: 3/8/2009 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/hybenamon/LAND/ARMOR/TRACKED/MISC/0zolf-pic1.jpg?t=1236528695

Zulfiqar

It's like a mini M1 isnt it?  Kind of the reverse aproach of what the rooskies took with the B1ski
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thanks!  Yes, and the 1st (my fave!)

You?

Link Posted: 3/8/2009 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!  Yes, and the 1st (my fave!)

You?

4th Tanks, went to Knox in '87, back when Cordero, Carrol, Watts, and McKlintock were all SSgts.

Link Posted: 3/8/2009 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

And WTF do you figure we've been doing with our Leo2s? And Denmark too?

Haven't heard, but I'd LOVE to know!  Got any reports for us?

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top