Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 1/5/2002 11:26:49 AM EDT
We are going on a cruise in late march. I hope to slip away and dive in Nassau, Bahamas. 8am to Midnight. We will also be beached for a day at Cococay, Bahamas (Royal Caribbean Cruise Line private island)this will be an 8am to 5pm stop. Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated. How much of my own gear should I carry, trips not to miss, places to avoid etc.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:40:38 AM EDT
If you have a nice regulator you are used to I would bring it. I usually bring my mask/fins/snorkel/BCD/regulator which has a dive computer on it. I am used to my own stuff though and have seen some pretty ratty rentals. Pick up a copy of Rodales Scuba Diving, they have tons of suggestions on where to go and where to advoid. There used to be some shark feeding dives and there is a morey eel feeder there. Can't remeber the name of the big wreck every one dives. Been a long time since I was in the Bahamas, usually dive further south in the Carribean.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 1:42:36 PM EDT
Doesn't diving at night kinda make you shark bait? When we skinned dived at Catalina as kids, they always made us come in before dark to avoid being eaten. :)
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 1:56:15 PM EDT
I had a good suggestion, but, I [i]MUFFed[/i] it...
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:33:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:34:29 PM EDT
For a wierd trip right in your own backyard (almost) go and dive the Bonn Terre (spell?) mine in Missouri.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:05:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BenDover: For a wierd trip right in your own backyard (almost) go and dive the Bonn Terre (spell?) mine in Missouri.
View Quote
I've got that one on my list for this summer. I picked up a copy of Rodale's today and am looking it over. Busmaster 007: I have multiple night dives planned along those lines. [sex][sex][sex][sex]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 8:44:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:07:05 PM EDT
Everytime I bring my reg in my carry on, I get raped by security... all before 9/11 too. It's worth the hassle, I sure wouldn't check anything that expensive down below. I have seen some absolutely horrible rental gear, mostly in mexico and jamiaca though. It is worth bringing your own. Hate to ruin a dive because your rental craps out at 100 feet. Have fun!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 2:51:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2002 2:52:39 PM EDT by BenDover]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Originally Posted By BenDover: For a wierd trip right in your own backyard (almost) go and dive the Bonn Terre (spell?) mine in Missouri.
View Quote
Did you like it? Or was it just weird? I ask because it's pretty close, but I've spoken to people who did it and thought it was pretty lame. What's your verdict?
View Quote
I liked it but then again I am a history buff so it was multi-dimensional pleasure. --- I think it should be preserved.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:19:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BenDover:
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
View Quote
Did you like it? Or was it just weird? I ask because it's pretty close, but I've spoken to people who did it and thought it was pretty lame. What's your verdict?
View Quote
I liked it but then again I am a history buff so it was multi-dimensional pleasure. --- I think it should be preserved.
View Quote
My old book keeper has made the Bonn Terre Dive several times. He told me it was a good trip. Anyone interested, maybe we can hook up this summer and find out.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:46:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:51:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mattja: Doesn't diving at night kinda make you shark bait? When we skinned dived at Catalina as kids, they always made us come in before dark to avoid being eaten. :)
View Quote
... Kinda, but the adrenaline rush will certainly jazz the sh|t out of you! Successful "bug" hunts take place at night.
Top Top