Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/18/2009 2:29:12 PM EDT
So I passed thru SC with my wife to visit her grandparents on the way to VA last week. Well, on the way back, her grandpa wanted to show me some of his guns, sweet!  He's got a 1187 that's about 20+ years old that is spotless and looks like it just came off the shelf at the gun shop and he also had a nice Rem700 in 270.  However, he was talking about wanting a pistol for HD and I asked him if he had any. His reply was that, yes, he did and here is what he has. An Iver Johnson Mod. ????? Cal. .32short. I advised him to get something bigger and better.

Anyway, I don't know much about these other than they aren't made anymore (at least, I'm pretty sure that they are not).  The lockup is piss poor and the cylinder free spins to the right with the hammer down. If the hammer is cocked it has a very slight bit of play in it enough that it causes me concern to even consider shooting it due to lead being shaven from the bullet whiles it is being fired.  It is a break top action, ala schoefield pistols. It only ejects half the time but it seems that it will function flawlessly if you sling it open briskly.  The rear sight is the latch for keeping the gun together.  It is a DA/SA as well.  

There is one problem though.  When I was dry firing it the trigger would not reset. I do not know if it is reset via inertia or if a spring is broken.  Anyone know if it's reset via inertia?  Is there anywhere I could find springs for this thing?  He wants me to try and fix it if I can, so that's why I'm asking. I warned him that sometimes guns are just not worth fixing but if he really wanted it to work 100% I would do my best.  

Enough said, On with the pics.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#1]
$20 I'll take it....oh wait...this isn't the EE
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Holy crap I had 2 of those Worse then a Glock
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
$20 I'll take it....oh wait...this isn't the EE

(price gouging idiot from the EE )Only FTF and I want $800 for it, firm! No lowballers, period. Will consider shipping but you'll have to pay me 75$ to overnight it with the USPS. (price gouging idiot in the EE)
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#4]
why would you dry fire something like that? that's asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have a G22 and I feel your pain.  However, do they blow up?
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
why would you dry fire something like that? that's asking for trouble.

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:37:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

LOL  Wut?

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Christ. I think I'd recommend a Nagant revolver over that for HD.

-Mark
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one very similar to it with a nickel finish and a longer barrel (5" I think).  Cylinder free spins until the hammer is cocked back.  has a little play in the cylinder, enough so that I wouldn't shoot it.  I bought it about 20 yrs ago at a pawn shop for about $40-60.  It has somewhere on the frame "Iver Johnson pat pending 1896.  I used to have a photo of it in my photobucket account but I deleted it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#10]
<–––– I think that was the look and thought I had running thru my head when he showed me this thing!
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have one very similar to it with a nickel finish and a longer barrel (5" I think).  Cylinder free spins until the hammer is cocked back.  has a little play in the cylinder, enough so that I wouldn't shoot it.  I bought it about 20 yrs ago at a pawn shop for about $40-60.  It has somewhere on the frame "Iver Johnson pat pending 1896.  I used to have a photo of it in my photobucket account but I deleted it.

He had one like that too. Only, he and his siblings used it for a toy gun when they were under 10 years old. It's about half rust and you can see the gouges where it had been used for a hammering implement. He said they would just leave it laying around outside.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#12]
A guy that could employ that for home defense earns extra style points with me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a G22 and I feel your pain.  However, do they blow up?

Shooting one of them and the cylinder split and fell out
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I had one of those in high school. Traded it for something or other.
Does it have an owls head on the grip?
I never fired mine. Was warned not to by a gun smith.
Apparently, they were ahead of Glock in the kaboom dept.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep, owl's head is clearly visible in the pictures.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Owl's head pistol grip, eh?  I didn't know that. Yup, I guess the great granddaddy of the Glock was the Iver Johnson line of pistols.  

Oh, yes, it does have an Owl's head on the grips.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Owl's head pistol grip, eh?  I didn't know that. Yup, I guess the great granddaddy of the Glock was the Iver Johnson line of pistols.  

Oh, yes, it does have an Owl's head on the grips.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Will make a great drop gun.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:58:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
looks like an old model safety hammer

care to explain to those of us not revolver savy?
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#22]
interesting bit of history
Presidential assassin Leon Czolgosz shot and killed U.S. President William McKinley in Buffalo, New York on 6 September 1901 with an Iver Johnson .32 caliber Safety Automatic revolver (serial number 463344). The revolver is currently on display at the Erie County Historical Society in Buffalo.

Presidential assassin Leon Czolgosz shot and killed U.S. President William McKinley in Buffalo, New York on 6 September 1901 with an Iver Johnson .32 caliber Safety Automatic revolver (serial number 463344). The revolver is currently on display at the Erie County Historical Society in Buffalo.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#23]
mine only has a 5 digit SN. I guess it's mighty old then if the one you posted about has a longer SN. I dunno, just guessing here.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

-Mark

I'd DEFINITELY recommend a Nagant revolver over that. At least the Nagant will actually fire. Plus it's a more powerful caliber (which is sad, really.). And it has an extra shot (seven, as opposed to six). And the Nagant is worth more.

Yeah. I'd use a Nagant before that old piece of shit.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I've  got one of those.   I bought it from a buddy in eastern KY.  He told me his great grand pappy used it to shoot the local sheriff back in the 1920's.
Apparently the sheriff didn't  like him cooking moonshine without getting his cut.  A.32 to the gut changed his mind.  He was never arrested.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#26]
The fact that Grandpa owns a top-break revolver just screams "Webley".  That's right, upgrade his HD weapon to a British .455 Webley (another top-break revolver), and he'll be the envy of....well, I don't know but I'll sure as hell will envy him.

That's it.  That did it.  Seeing that pic makes me want .455 Webley, and by God I'm going to look for one now.

I love ARFCOM (wait 'till I tell the wife unit).....
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Holy guacamole! I have one of those.
Got it from my grandfather, it was kept in a sock in one of his drawers

ETA: Oh yes, I was told it WAS safe to fire when my grandfather gave it to me. Purportedly he had a gunsmith check it out sometime and he said it was ok.
I don't have the guts to try it...
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
looks like an old model safety hammer

care to explain to those of us not revolver savy?

"Safety Automatic", when Iver Johnson used that name in 1894 for his new model revolver meant that it was entirely safe from accidental disharge because of its transfer bar ignition system (you could drop it on its hammer and it couldn't go bang) and automatic because when you opened the top-break action, all empty cartridges were simutaneously ejected. It was way ahead of the revolvers of the time.

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/NickHugelarge/IJhammerless-1.jpg

ETA: Oh yes, I was told it WAS safe to fire when my grandfather gave it to me. Purportedly he had a gunsmith check it out sometime and he said it was ok.

Holy shit, did you buy that box of ammo in the 80's? Everyone keeps sayin, it's a POS yadda yadda. Well, that may be true but this weekend I'm gonna go find out if it goes bang without killing me.  Grandpa said he has shot it without incident. Luckily, I have two hands.

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/NickHugelarge/IJhammerless-1.jpg

Holy shit, did you buy that box of ammo in the 80's? Everyone keeps sayin, it's a POS yadda yadda. Well, that may be true but this weekend I'm gonna go find out if it goes bang without killing me.  Grandpa said he has shot it without incident. Luckily, I have two hands.

Godspeed
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks, If I do get to go out this weekend, I'll have to take pics and of course post any carnage that may ensue
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Buy the man an old S&W K Frame .38 Special.
Won't cost you much and will be worlds ahead in reliability and accuracy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#33]
These were known as an "Owl's Head" when I was a kid. The name is from the owl's head logo on the grip. An owl's head was generally regarded as the cheapest POS pistol you could buy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a nickel plated one

shot it about 20 times at 7 yards I could not keep it on notebook paper and what did hit was keyholing

EDIT Mine appears to be a H&R cousin got it when she came back for her dads funeral  complete with crown royal bag for a gun case she was going to take it back to Chicago with her luckily I intervened

I had to promise not to sell it  because she was moving back some day

that was 14 years ago

I think it was happy to get out of my shitty gun purgatory hard case
I think it was trying to mate with the RG , jennings and rossi in there ( why can't my dead relatives leave decent firearms LOL )

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Appears to be a copy of this S&W

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I shot the .38 S&W model of that pistol not too long ago.  The cylinder spinning is normal for that piece.  The lock-up was about like yours, but it shot pretty good.  The one I shot was a 1940's model.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:31:37 PM EDT
[#37]
nice Owl's Head. Iver Johnson built some of the better made "fly aparts" or Saturday Night Specials. The Owl logo, gave the name Owl's Head, which later became a slang term for inexpensive pocket revolvers of the period. Iver Johnson was also one of the first gun manufacturers to use coiled wire in firearms.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#38]
I have one of the hammerless models with a 4-inch barrel. It needs fixin'.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
nice Owl's Head. Iver Johnson built some of the better made "fly aparts" or Saturday Night Specials. The Owl logo, gave the name Owl's Head, which later became a slang term for inexpensive pocket revolvers of the period. Iver Johnson was also one of the first gun manufacturers to use coiled wire in firearms.

Wait, wut? Coiled wire? Is there a way to know this just by looking at it? I don't think that I'll shot it if that's the case.

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Wait, wut? Coiled wire? Is there a way to know this just by looking at it? I don't think that I'll shot it if that's the case.

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#41]
There is one problem though. When I was dry firing it the trigger would not reset. I do not know if it is reset via inertia or if a spring is broken. Anyone know if it's reset via inertia?

They are supposed to reset on release, just like a regular revolver.

If it is pre-1898, it is worth about $95 to $120 in that condition. The not-nickle pistols are a little harder to find than their nickled counterparts.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Iver Johnson was one of the better manufacturers of Break Top revolvers at that time.  Not up to Smith & Wesson's level, but better quality than many other manufacturers who's products were referred to as Suicide Specials.  That's where the term Saturday Night Special came from years later.

From your description, the quill spring (Cylinder Friction Spring) under the cylinder may be broken or missing, the extractor spring is not be in good shape, and the trigger return spring is either gummed up or broken.

You should be able to get these parts from Gun Parts. Look for Iver Johnson Safety Hammer Auto Revolver.  The auto referred to the ejection on opening.

I would also recommend taking it apart and giving it a good cleaning.  You would be surprised how much gunk will come out and how much better it can work afterwords.  Make sketches or take pictures as you go.  Some of these old timers are a puzzle to put back together.

I have a small collection of pocket pistols from around the turn of the century and according to my research and experiences, Iver Johnson break top revolvers in good shape are perfectly safe to shoot with low pressure rounds.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#43]
What is it with grandfathers and old crappy pistols.

Several years back I'm hanging out with my grandpa at his house when he asks me what I carry when I'm on liberty. (I was in the Marines at the time) I'm looking at him like [>:// and say "my wallet, pack of smokes, and lighter".

He replies "No, what do you carry for protection".

At this point I'm kinda freaked because I think he's talking about condoms. I'm in my early twenties and its a little late to be having 'the talk' esspecially with gramps.

He can see I confused so he reaches in his desk drawer and pulls out a nickel finished revolver that looks like the one posted in the OP and a set of brass knuckles. He told me he never went to town on liberty without the pistol in his front right pocket and the brass knuckles in the left.

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 11:38:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So I passed thru SC with my wife to visit her grandparents on the way to VA last week. Well, on the way back, her grandpa wanted to show me some of his guns, sweet!  He's got a 1187 that's about 20+ years old that is spotless and looks like it just came off the shelf at the gun shop and he also had a nice Rem700 in 270.  However, he was talking about wanting a pistol for HD and I asked him if he had any. His reply was that, yes, he did and here is what he has. An Iver Johnson Mod. ????? Cal. .32short. I advised him to get something bigger and better.

Anyway, I don't know much about these other than they aren't made anymore (at least, I'm pretty sure that they are not).  The lockup is piss poor and the cylinder free spins to the right with the hammer down. If the hammer is cocked it has a very slight bit of play in it enough that it causes me concern to even consider shooting it due to lead being shaven from the bullet whiles it is being fired.  It is a break top action, ala schoefield pistols. It only ejects half the time but it seems that it will function flawlessly if you sling it open briskly.  The rear sight is the latch for keeping the gun together.  It is a DA/SA as well.  

There is one problem though.  When I was dry firing it the trigger would not reset. I do not know if it is reset via inertia or if a spring is broken.  Anyone know if it's reset via inertia?  Is there anywhere I could find springs for this thing?  He wants me to try and fix it if I can, so that's why I'm asking. I warned him that sometimes guns are just not worth fixing but if he really wanted it to work 100% I would do my best.  

Enough said, On with the pics.  

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m373/cvhchris762/Picture1195.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m373/cvhchris762/Picture1198.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m373/cvhchris762/Picture1197.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m373/cvhchris762/Picture1196.jpg

Very Nice! Hope you get it 'running' right. Those grips are magnificent!
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#45]
I have an Iver single shot break action 12 guage shotgun that my grandfather gave me. Kindof a trip to hold this thing and think I might not be here if it weren't for that shotgun as he used it for protection and to put food on the table.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 11:55:36 PM EDT
[#46]
I handled a few that were passed around my forensic science course.  

Kinda cool for the simple fact that they are not considered guns (most were made before 1897 and therefore don't need a 4473), but wouldn't drop more than $80 on one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 11:56:24 PM EDT
[#47]
I inherited a few Iver Johnson pistols and turned them in during one of the annual gun buy back programs here in IL.  Got $100 per gun and used the $600 I got towards my NRA life membership and training expenses (ammo, class fees).

Mike

Link Posted: 2/19/2009 12:29:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

+1.

Family heirlooms are one thing; home protection is something else entirely.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 6:18:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.

Family heirlooms are one thing; home protection is something else entirely.

The trigger on those is way better than any Nagant revolver. They are actually pretty smoothe. That oen is a .32. Masny of them were .38 S&W, which really wan't that bad of a round. With practice, those revolvers can be reloaded pretty fast if need be too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 6:35:12 AM EDT
[#50]

It's so.....cute.  
For some reason I'm reminded of the scene in Harlem Nights where Arsenio & a couple of his boys are shooting at Eddie Murphy.  Hall & one of the guys blast away with Thompsons then the 3rd guy pops off a round or two everytime they stop using a mousefart revolver kinda like this one.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top