Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it is going to get very interesting regarding Apple and Internet/Intranet.

I think the G boxes will be full blown Unix servers from hell (where did that kernel come from? ) made pretty by Apple within a very short time... then the playing field will get very interesting.

Although Apple has low mkt share, they have the organization and jazz to push their G-Unix out front and compete for server farm space against both Mickey and the Unix camp (yeah I include LT's kernel, if it walks like a duck....)

From my perspective on Internet servers, BSDI(my favorite!)and LT's kernel variants rock like crazy, W2000AS rocks, the Apple G-boxes rock, and NT blows chunks....and reboots....and reboots....

Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It'll work so long as you have administrative rights to that machine.
View Quote

[:D] apparantly the CTRL-ALT-DEL key sequence is working in version 3.3.3, I was using 3.3.2 before which didn't allow access to a locked/logged off machine.  Just needs to be set up as a service, and you're up and running.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
and NT blows chunks....and reboots....and reboots....
View Quote

This I love, I support NT servers for a living, and while we have occasional problems (usually caused by badly written applications or hardware malfunctions) I do not have any major complaints regarding NT stability.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Better yet, install Linux and go open-source!  Way less aggravation AND free software!
View Quote

Depends on what you mean by aggrivation, which to me means spending all day looking for a damn FAQ file that is hundreds of pages long, to figure out the obscure cryptic code I need to change in a config file that is thousands of lines long, to make one little config change.
View Quote

That's what "grep" is for. [:D]
View Quote

You mean I could grep for the following lines in my config and figure out how to change them (hahaha):

# if really UUCP, handle it immediately

# try UUCP traffic as a local address
R$* < @ $+ . UUCP > $* $: $1 < @ $[ $2 $] . UUCP . > $3
R$* < @ $+ . . UUCP . > $* $@ $1 < @ $2 . > $3

# pass to name server to make hostname canonical
R$* < @ $* $~P > $* $: $1 < @ $[ $2 $3 $] > $4

# local host aliases and pseudo-domains are always canonical
R$* < @ $=w > $* $: $1 < @ $2 . > $3
R$* < @ $j > $* $: $1 < @ $j . > $2
R$* < @ $=M > $* $: $1 < @ $2 . > $3
R$* < @ $* $=P > $* $: $1 < @ $2 $3 . > $4
R$* < @ $* . . > $* $1 < @ $2 . > $3
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think it is going to get very interesting regarding Apple and Internet/Intranet.

I think the G boxes will be full blown Unix servers from hell (where did that kernel come from? ) made pretty by Apple within a very short time... then the playing field will get very interesting.

Although Apple has low mkt share, they have the organization and jazz to push their G-Unix out front and compete for server farm space against both Mickey and the Unix camp (yeah I include LT's kernel, if it walks like a duck....)

From my perspective on Internet servers, BSDI(my favorite!)and LT's kernel variants rock like crazy, W2000AS rocks, the Apple G-boxes rock, and NT blows chunks....and reboots....and reboots....

View Quote

Reboots?  I run a hosting company, and you can imagine there are a lot of people doing some crazy shit on the servers.  But the only time I EVER have to reboot is to install service packs which require a reboot (hey, it's easier then RECOMPILING the kernel!).

If somebody could show me some decent dev tools for Unix I would consider using it (although it's non/non-standard support of threads makes writing real apps a PITA).
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#6]
The thing I like about Apple is they didn't have pre-emptive multitasking until they had a UNIX-based OS. They're really on the ball over there in Cupertino.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
All I'm saying is that anyone could go into windows help file to learn the short cuts;. . .
View Quote

Not keyboard shorcuts (which does kill several MSCEeeeeeeeeeees), but some command line like:

C:\WINNT\system32\ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\Documents and Settings\bkupuser\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\daily.bks" /n "Monday-Full" /d "Mondays Full Backup" /v:no/r:no /rs:no /hc:on /m normal /j "Mondays Job" /l:f /t "Monday-Full"

Believe headed for a bad recession (see previous tin-foil hat posts about "business cycle").

Tell valuable business owners that, "IT is 80% bullshit. Kill'em all."

Oh, but you already know this . . .
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#8]
In all this bickering about whois
1.0.0.127.in-adder.arpa.  IN PTR  IAM.MADLEET.COM

No one has even bothered to mention that the update to 2k is free or any good references for study besides the dumps. :p Damn what a bitchy bunch 'O geeks yall are.

[url]www.200tutor.com[/url] I believe you'll find that the question pool for the 2k exams is too large to dump your way through. The folks at that site can help (and they are progun)

Now if yall will excuse me, I think I'll drag my paper MCSeeeeed ass back below layer 3. (before somebody playa hates all over me)
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Take it easy (easeeeeeeee?), it's just a movie.

IT members here, are not a cross section of IT people. Look at your department. How many collect ARs? The 20% does keep the world turning. . .

Merry Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#10]

[/quote]

haha yep.. it's funny most people who adore their Macs use them for nothing other than email and web browsing, and occasionally photoshop.  [/quote]

You must be joking... I'm running 12 Mac osX servers in different buildings feeding on any individual platform multiple apps like QuickTime Streaming, Apple and Windows file sharing, FTP, NFS, Apache web, and print serving on a G4 450mhz with 384mb RAM.  I never get hit with viruses, I never get hacked, and with Watchdog and UPS's, they never lockup or quit.  

My linux servers are almost as good, they are just more complex to manage than the Macs.

You boys enjoy your NT and 2k boxes... I laugh everytime a new security or virus patch comes your way.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 12:14:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

haha yep.. it's funny most people who adore their Macs use them for nothing other than email and web browsing, and occasionally photoshop.  
View Quote

You must be joking... I'm running 12 Mac osX servers in different buildings feeding on any individual platform multiple apps like QuickTime Streaming, Apple and Windows file sharing, FTP, NFS, Apache web, and print serving on a G4 450mhz with 384mb RAM.  I never get hit with viruses, I never get hacked, and with Watchdog and UPS's, they never lockup or quit.  

My linux servers are almost as good, they are just more complex to manage than the Macs.

You boys enjoy your NT and 2k boxes... I laugh everytime a new security or virus patch comes your way.
View Quote

See, everything you listed is installed and running on Windows already (well except for QuickTime streaming).  How about adding real time DNS serving 500,000+ zones, email forwarding service handling 400,000+ addresses, SQL Server, so many custom TCP services it would take all day just to explain them, plus getting millions of hits a day on each server (25+ servers).  The biggest problem is our own code, and that would be the case with any platform.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

haha yep.. it's funny most people who adore their Macs use them for nothing other than email and web browsing, and occasionally photoshop.  
View Quote

View Quote

See, everything you listed is installed and running on Windows already (well except for QuickTime streaming).  How about adding real time DNS serving 500,000+ zones, email forwarding service handling 400,000+ addresses, SQL Server, so many custom TCP services it would take all day just to explain them, plus getting millions of hits a day on each server (25+ servers).  The biggest problem is our own code, and that would be the case with any platform.
View Quote

DNS is there (Bind 8.2.3) and I do run my own domain parent, as well as SendMail, DHCP and all the other UNIX capable features, minus the security flaws.

SQL is the only thing I don't run on osX,  but my Linux boxes do....
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

DNS is there (Bind 8.2.3)
View Quote

ISC has discovered or has been notified of several bugs which can result in vulnerabilities of varying levels of severity in BIND as distributed by ISC. Upgrading to BIND version 9.1.3 is strongly recommended. If that is not possible for your site, upgrading at least to BIND version 8.2.5 is imperative.

[url]http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security.html[/url]

ahhh the joys of running a Unix(like) OS.

Should I do Sendmail? Or are you starting to wake up from your crack(like) Mac euphoria.

How much does Apple charge for their PowerPC development kits? LOL
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Not keyboard shorcuts (which does kill several MSCEeeeeeeeeeees), but some command line like:

C:\WINNT\system32\ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\Documents and Settings\bkupuser\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\daily.bks" /n "Monday-Full" /d "Mondays Full Backup" /v:no/r:no /rs:no /hc:on /m normal /j "Mondays Job" /l:f /t "Monday-Full"
View Quote

Are you for real?  The whole concept of Information Technology is to work smarter, NOT harder.  There is NO reason to type out such lengthy command when a few simple mouse clicks in Arserve or Backupexec would get the same result.  Long command line is time consuming and is susceptible to typo and syntax errors.  The only instance where your above native NT backup commands would come in handy is if you were running it from within a script.

Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Are you for real? The whole concept of Information Technology is to work smarter, NOT harder. There is NO reason to type out such lengthy command when a few simple mouse clicks in Arserve or Backupexec would get the same result. Long command line is time consuming and is susceptible to typo and syntax errors. The only instance where your above native NT backup commands would come in handy is if you were running it from within a script.
View Quote

You are right about one thing.  The smart admin finds a way to not have to work.  I do confess to a preference for the keyboard.  Scripts make it so I can go to the movies during work hours.

Hey MAC-Geeks!  The reason nobody targets your servers with viruses is that even hackers feel sorry for you with your devotion to a dying platform.  Kinda' like the Edsel!  IIS is the webhosting platform of choice for over 85% of the websites running today.  Naturally it is targeted the most.  If I went to a job interview and told them I networked MAC's they'd surely laugh me out of the building.

UNIX-Geeks!  Get out of the 60's man!  Even some 90's technology would be good for you.  The rest of us learn from our mistakes (like UNIX).  End-users need USABILITY.  Sure you're smart.  After all you were probably president of the math club in junior high.  Some end-users can barely use a mouse and you want them using GREP?  Your accounting department shouldn't have to attend computer science classes to do their jobs.  Get over it.

You all are just pissed 'cause Microsoft keeps absorbing your marketshare.  And Netscape?  Good Riddance.  What a P.O.S.!  Survival of the fittest friends.  And guess who keeps winning?
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#16]
hold onto all your old degrees, xp lets bill gates ,fbi, cia and most any body. plus xp checks all intell chips for ser# implanted codes  and things you really don't the hold world to see.   this is all admitted by but not publisized by microsoft.  the fbi has prompted this so they can spy on your computer to find terriorist before they hit us. i'm using me now but my next ugrade and everybody that finds out about xp will be unix..
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
IIS is the webhosting platform of choice for over 85% of the websites running today.  Naturally it is targeted the most.  If I went to a job interview and told them I networked MAC's they'd surely laugh me out of the building.
View Quote

I’m pretty much an OS agnostic. Every one has it’s own faults and areas where it excels.  Solaris, HP-UX, an AIX are database monsters, Linux/xBSD are free and to a very limited extent, more stable than MS solutions. Microsoft is an excellent solution for small to medium sized enterprise and middle of the road loads.

And IIs has nothing like 85% of the market

[img]http://www.netcraft.com/Survey/Reports/current/overallf.gif[/img]

Quoted:
End-users need USABILITY.  
View Quote

Stability is an issue as well.
xBSD, Solaris, HP-UX and even IRIX, cream MS in the uptime dpt.
[url]http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/isp.avg.html[/url]

[i]stats for market share and others from[/i] [url]www.netcraft.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
IIS is the webhosting platform of choice for over 85% of the websites running today. Naturally it is targeted the most. If I went to a job interview and told them I networked MAC's they'd surely laugh me out of the building.
View Quote

Instant_Karma beat me to the stats (damn you [;)]).

But from being in the Mickysoft camp, the biggest problem on the net now days is that a good deal of web sites ARE runnin IIS. IIS is now the biggest piece of crap running. Sure it is a no brainer to get running, hell the Mac people can get it up and running (sorry, had to get that jab in hehehe). But the problem is that it is so bug laden and unsecure.

When it first came out, I loved IIS. I thought it was the coolest thing around, because it was so simple. After trying to install Netscape on Unix and Microsoft, IIS was a blast! But now, I personally recomend that people don't install it, but to run Apache (preferable on a Unix platform). I haven't taken the time and try out the port of Apache on Microsoft (is it there yet?).

I am not an O/S biggot, every platform has it's pros and cons. It's pluses and minuses, and I push people to the platform that works the best for what needs to be done.

Now, if I had kept up on times, I would be running BeOS for the desktop. And moaning that it isn't around anymore. Damn after reading about it how powerful it was, I really feal bad for not giving it a spin, sigh... Hopefully Palm won't bury it.

P.S.
Instant_Karma, one of the biggest factors for the uptime on the Unix platform is that you don't have to reboot the damn thing for every patch, config change like Microsoft makes you.

I did have the pleasure of bending the ear of Microsoft one day and bitch (tackfully) about how it sucks that we would have to reboot for every config change. And low and behold, Windows 2000 cut the number of reboots at least in half (until you install Terminal server). I [i]like[/i] to think that my comments made a difference (I made these comments when I worked for a bank that needed major uptime for it MS servers, and NT 4.0 had just came out).
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 11:30:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Stability is an issue as well.
xBSD, Solaris, HP-UX and even IRIX, cream MS in the uptime dpt.
[url]http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/isp.avg.html[/url]

[i]stats for market share and others from[/i] [url]www.netcraft.com[/url]
View Quote

How exactly do they figure out uptimes? If these times are correct, all one has to do now is check uptime against OS, and exploit any known security holes that have been patched within that amount of time.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 12:18:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How exactly do they figure out uptimes?
View Quote

[url]http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/accuracy.html[/url]

Quoted:
If these times are correct, all one has to do now is check uptime against OS, and exploit any known security holes that have been patched within that amount of time.
View Quote

Yup, that's why all my Solaris boxen respond to who/whodo/uptime and a few others, with a lONGINT instead of an INT. [:)]
Example:
who -b
8.312324609993336522395853331e+19265 [:)]

Ever wonder how the $(r1p7 |<1dd13$ will exploit a 2k hole like a heat seeking missile??

(hint:) It might have a little something to do with 'hotfixes’
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top