Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/15/2008 4:26:01 PM EDT
An overwhelming contributing factor of why so many homes burn is due to ordinances restricting the clearing of brush.

This is a pic of the backyard of my home following the San Diego fires of last year.  The green area is all illegally planted fire resistant vegetation.  That area, even though it is my property, is restricted to only naturally occurring indigenous vegetation.  I ignored that fucking nonsense and planted the fire resistant ice-plant.  It saved my house as the neighbors burned.  We lost 5 out of 9 houses on our street.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice pad
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Cripes you must be worth more than Site Staff!
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
An overwhelming contributing factor of why so many homes burn is due to ordinances restricting the clearing of brush.

This is a pic of the backyard of my home following the San Diego fires of last year.  The green area is all illegally planted fire resistant vegetation.  That area, even though it is my property, is restricted to only naturally occurring indigenous vegetation.  I ignored that fucking nonsense and planted the fire resistant ice-plant.  It saved my house as the neighbors burned.  We lost 5 out of 9 houses on our street.  http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/drsalee/Ariellafirebeach0014copy.jpg

Where in SD Do you live?

The area looks like around me.

Also, Nice House!

And good for you for going with iceplant.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah out here that home is mils. obama will be having that now.........
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Is that your house in the pic?

If so will you adopt me?
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I heard about that and also the restrictions on making firebrakes.

Nice house, adopt me
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is that your house in the pic?

If so will you adopt me?

x2
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Good call.  Looks like it paid off.

Heck, even our fore fathers could plant whatever kind of grass they wanted without asking the King.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#9]
That's quite a spread you have there.

I live in South Park in a humble 4 bedroom tract home from the '60s.

I just cut down three trees that my ex had planted way to close to the house.  Two more to go, and I'll be in good shape fire-wise.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Poway.

Check out this You-Tube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46xfUBWhHUY

We evacuated to Coronado, and while watching updates on the news.  We were horrified to see the news crew filming from our driveway.  When we saw the guy across the street up in flames, we were certain that our house was a goner.

The SDFD was badass, they put alot of effort in saving the house as well.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#11]
congrats to you your a informed home owner!

others will never learn. unfortunately it will take a major disaster to make them open their eyes. their house will have to burn down and they will have to be left out on the street before they will realize that they should have had some defensive spacing around their home.

i understand most people want their property to be "natural" and like having trees close to their homes. BUT they need to realize they can take measures that will keep that look and at the same time help reduce the potential for a fire to consume their home.

i used to feel sorry for those people who lost their homes due to fires but now i dont (IF they could have prevented it). there is plenty of gov funding out there that people have access to that allows them to clean up their property.

if you going to build in an area that has any fire potential you should have to have a defensible house. reduce hazardous fuels and clean up your property.

again congrats to you for prepping you home.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Now, when there's no houses left but yours the CA-EPA is going to know which house to fine for damaging mother giah.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Now, the Eco-terrorists will sneak in and burn your house down to teach you a lesson about breaking those important enviromental laws.

Nice house tho!
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#14]
can we use your pool?
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
can we use your pool?

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is a pic of the backyard of my home following the San Diego fires of last year.  The green area is all illegally planted fire resistant vegetation.  That area, even though it is my property, is restricted to only naturally occurring indigenous vegetation.  I ignored that fucking nonsense and planted the fire resistant ice-plant.  It saved my house as the neighbors burned.  We lost 5 out of 9 houses on our street.  http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/drsalee/Ariellafirebeach0014copy.jpg

1.  Nice house.  Good for you that you did what it took to keep it safe.

2.  Since there are so many fires in that area, I can't see how home owners insurance can cover the cost of a house once it is destroyed by fire over and over again.  Are wildfires covered under home-owners insurance down there?
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
yeah out here that home is mils. obama will be having that now.........

He will be spreading some of that to us po' people!

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
[url=http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/drsalee/SAL_0140copy-1.jpg]
Quoted:
can we use your pool?

We would still swim in it during the ARFCOM Cali-party!!
Hell, I'd even fly out there just to attend a bash at your place.

Excuse me while I run upstairs and drag the wife down here to show her the house of one of my <sarcasm>"Internet friends" </sarcasm>
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#19]
hell i think you place would be perfect for a arfcom meet and greet. whos down?
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#20]

2.  Since there are so many fires in that area, I can't see how home owners insurance can cover the cost of a house once it is destroyed by fire over and over again.  Are wildfires covered under home-owners insurance down there?

Insurance certainly does cover fire.  It is typically a disaster to collect.  Most people are under insured and under documented.  The 5 houses that burnt last year, have not even begun reconstruction. The homeowners are still haggling with ins. co.'s.

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
hell i think you place would be perfect for a arfcom meet and greet. whos down?

It's an ARFCOM Surprise party.

Surprise, We're here!!!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Insurance certainly does cover fire.  It is typically a disaster to collect.  Most people are under insured and under documented.  The 5 houses that burnt last year, have not even begun reconstruction. The homeowners are still haggling with ins. co.'s.

a little preparation can go a long way. you did the smart thing and prevented a huge disaster.

now moving on... ill bring the dip!

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#23]

The neighbors who didn't protect their property, FOLLOWED THE LAW, and returned to a burnt house
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Good thinking on the ice plant,  And screw the ordnances.  Stupid laws need to be ignored.

Oh and, I think you just made a lot of new friends

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Poway.

We evacuated to Coronado, and while watching updates on the news.  We were horrified to see the news crew filming from our driveway.  When we saw the guy across the street up in flames, we were certain that our house was a goner.

The SDFD probably invested the time into your house because of its defensible space.  Any house that isn't safe to defend usually isn't.  I have heard of this nonsense about restrictions in making ones house firewise via clearing brush in CA.  Glad you ignored the regulations and did what is right for your home and for the firefighters giving their best effort to fight these historically significant fires (both in fire behavior and frequency) we have been having.

Did you know that in Australia, the wildland firefighters there encourage homeowners to stay and defend their homes.  Even with a garden hose, ones home can be significantly defended against even the raging fires of S. CA.  Most fires move through an area of homes, and once the main fire is gone leave embers here and there that ultimately can burn down a home long after the main fire front has passed.  Your home with its defensible space looks to me as one of those.  

Glad your house made it.

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I think we found Hielo's new account.

Nice pad.  Government regulation usually does more harm than good.  The road to hell is paved with good intentions, especially when the pavers are environmentalists.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Did you know that in Australia, the wildland firefighters there encourage homeowners to stay and defend their homes.  Even with a garden hose, ones home can be significantly defended against even the raging fires of S. CA.

I've been looking for a gas powered pump to utilize the pool water and do exactly that.  There is a guy down the canyon from me that has a REALLY BIG house and he stayed put.  With a 80hp diesel powered pump, he defended his homestead.  He has a ridiculous 400,000 gallon pool and he emptied 2/3 of it and saved his house.  This guy is a real cowboy, and he's 72 years old.  He is my inspiration.

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Nice pad.  Government regulation usually does more harm than good.  The road to hell is paved with good intentions, especially when the pavers are environmentalists.

Nice house either way!
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm glad you have some sense, but you live in the land of lunatics, and they'll probably fine your ass for saving your property with plants.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Did you know that in Australia, the wildland firefighters there encourage homeowners to stay and defend their homes.  Even with a garden hose, ones home can be significantly defended against even the raging fires of S. CA.

I've been looking for a gas powered pump to utilize the pool water and do exactly that.  There is a guy down the canyon from me that has a REALLY BIG house and he stayed put.  With a 80hp diesel powered pump, he defended his homestead.  He has a ridiculous 400,000 gallon pool and he emptied 2/3 of it and saved his house.  This guy is a real cowboy, and he's 72 years old.  He is my inspiration.

Holy fuck......what do you consider "small"? I bet your monthly electric bill alone could pay a couple of years worth of mortgage for me!
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Dang, you are fucking rich
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#32]

I'm glad you have some sense, but you live in the land of lunatics, and they'll probably fine your ass for saving your property with plants.

True enough !  Cali is chok-fulla-nutz.  But, there are plenty of good folks out here.  I lived in a small town in South Texas before moving to SoCal 20 years ago.  There were some fuckin nut jobs there as well!  You gotta seek out the good people wherever you at.

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Holy fuck......what do you consider "small"? I bet your monthly electric bill alone could pay a couple of years worth of mortgage for me!

Electric: $1100/month––––Fuck you Gray Davis!

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Private Fire Protection.  This probably happened not far from the OP's home.  I lived down there as a kid.  Home was at the intersection of Poway Rd and Pomerado Road, just across the creek.  Last I saw it there was a ton of burnable stuff around our old home....

Private Fire Protection

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#35]
.  I lived down there as a kid.  Home was at the intersection of Poway Rd and Pomerado Road, just across the creek.  Last I saw it there was a ton of burnable stuff around our old home....

My office is at the corner of Poway Road and Pomerado............We were neighbors.    Hell, we probably sat next to each other in  our cars at a stoplight!
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#36]
circa 1955-57

They had a nice flood one year.  We had the house that backed up to the oak knoll.  Single story ranch rambler on a little over an acre.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Thats the kind of property I used to build waterfalls on when I lived there, more in Rancho Bernardo, La Jolla and even a lot in east county, some nice spreads goin in out in Alpine area etc... I lived in Point Loma.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:35:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

sir that is sick, i pay less than that in a year for electric... but damn you make me want to be a doctor, if thats what you are (from screen name)

thank god your not a democrat or i would flame you like you were Al Gore's brother.
since your a conservative it is all good
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Whats your property taxes running at Graceland? The poor want to know!
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#41]
circa 1955-57

Nope, in those days I was still "swimmin' in Daddy's balls!"

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Property taxes: $18,000/year

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#43]
For all of the grief that insurance companies take, my company continues to impress.

I just got a call 15 minutes ago from my manager that we have a conference call at 9am tomorrow and will have our catastrophe team mobilized as soon as tomorrow afternoon.

They certainly don't screw around when it comes to these types of situations.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 7:06:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man, that's low.  I know, I know, Texas has no income tax, I know, I know ....
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Cripes you must be worth more than Site Staff!

That's not much.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Damn that is 2 mortgage  payments for me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Poway.

Wow, you've got the nicest house on arfcom.

*note to self, keep working toward getting into a nice premed program to become a doctor*
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Can we see pics of your bathroom?
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Illegal vegetatation Only in California.

OP is it safe for you to post this ? Glad you made out okay.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top