Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2008 6:48:40 PM EDT
Leak is putting it mildly.  It pretty much runs out of the air filter.  What is wrong, is it easy to fix, and how expensive would it be?

These kids in my neighborhood brought this lawnmower to me tonight.  They aren't well to do, and I guess their dad bought it for them to use, without fully checking it.  I'd like to fix it for them, and they can pay me back.

Link Posted: 9/27/2008 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#1]
You have something sticking the float needle open. Probably a piece of debris or something. You could also have a damaged float.

After you fix it, make sure none of the fuel made it to the crankcase throught the breather tube. Just check the oil. If it is too high or smells like gas, change it.

Link Posted: 9/27/2008 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Float is stuck. Tap the float bowl with a screwdriver handle. Also tap the carb body near where the fuel line goes in to dislodge any crud in the seat. If that doesn't stop it, you will have to remove the float bowl and spray the carb out.
Personally I would junk the Tecumseh and get something, anything, else.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You have something sticking the float needle open. Probably a piece of debris or something. You could also have a damaged float.

After you fix it, make sure none of the fuel made it to the crankcase throught the breather tube. Just check the oil. If it is too high or smells like gas, change it.

+1 sounds like a stuck carb float.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Looking at your mower closely, you may not have a breather tube, but you definitely have a float or float needle problem. You can pull that carb bowl off with a small 13mm or 1/2 inch socket to get to the float and needle.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 sounds like a stuck carb float.

+2 stuck float.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#6]
That grass doesn't look like it needs mowing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Float is stuck. Tap the float bowl with a screwdriver handle. Also tap the carb body near where the fuel line goes in to dislodge any crud in the seat. If that doesn't stop it, you will have to remove the float bowl and spray the carb out.

OOPS. Sorry just read the whole post. Seroiusly, it is the float sticking. Pretty simple fix. You might also clean the tank, change the fuel line, and air filter.

Will try to keep my foot in my mouth for a while now.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I actually took it apart, the throttle body.  I have no idea what I was doing.  But I think what you're describing is what I saw.  In the float bowl, there's a maybe 1/2 inch thick "disk".  When I lifted it, the gas stopped pouring out.  I put it all back together, then tried to start it.  It would act like its starting, then stop.  I sprayed carb cleaner in the air filter, and it would start again for a second, then die.  Is this symptomatic of a bad float as well?

And is Tecumseh the brand of motor?  Is it really a pos?
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#9]
You definitely need a buffer.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Leak is putting it mildly.  It pretty much runs out of the air filter.  What is wrong, is it easy to fix, and how expensive would it be?

These kids in my neighborhood brought this lawnmower to me tonight.  They aren't well to do, and I guess their dad bought it for them to use, without fully checking it.  I'd like to fix it for them, and they can pay me back.

www.bloodshotgamer.com/guns/lawnmower.jpg

needle and seat..

take the carb off, remove the float bowl, pull pin on float remove needle and clean seat re-install. you have dirt in there not allowing the needle to close the flow when the bowl is full.

ETA: Oh,  ... POSSUM!
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I actually took it apart, the throttle body.  I have no idea what I was doing.  But I think what you're describing is what I saw.  In the float bowl, there's a maybe 1/2 inch thick "disk".  When I lifted it, the gas stopped pouring out.  I put it all back together, then tried to start it.  It would act like its starting, then stop.  I sprayed carb cleaner in the air filter, and it would start again for a second, then die.  Is this symptomatic of a bad float as well?

The "Disc" you speak of is the float. It is held there by a pivot pin. If you pull the pivot pin out, you can remove the float. Once you take the pin out, pull the float out carefully, because the float needle will come out with it. Spray some carb cleaner in the little orface that the float needle came out of. The idea is to force whatever might have been lodged in there out. Also, shake the float to make sure it doesn't have gas in it. If you can feel or hear gas in it when you shake it, it has a pinhole in it. You'll just have to replace it if that's the case.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Spend a couple of bucks on a new float if the old one is lkg or if it is the plastic type that can absorb gas after a while and definately get a needle. You might have to adjust the float according to the little cardboard  dealy that they put in the box. I'd bet the tip is slightly warn and is allowing fuel to leak by, does not take much.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok first did you push the primer bulb. This engine has to be primed since it has no choke. You may need to remove the carb and spray it out with carb cleaner. just be sure to remember how the linkage hooks up and don't stretch the governor spring.

I used to get mowers at garage sales, work them over, and re-sell them. In my opinion, Tecumseh engines would have been OK if they actually made two of them alike. Too many options on carbs, linkages, etc. And then when Sears specs out what they want it gets worse.
Briggs engines are the easiest to work on and are the most reliable inexpensive motors.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Check your float and make sure it isn't a "sink"  On an occasion the float will leak and fill with fuel.  Pull the float pin, remove the float and give it a light shake.  If you hear sloshing inside the float it's time for a new one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
That grass doesn't look like it needs mowing.

That green stuff ain't grass.

Actually, I'm not sure what it is.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok first did you push the primer bulb. This engine has to be primed since it has no choke. You may need to remove the carb and spray it out with carb cleaner. just be sure to remember how the linkage hooks up and don't stretch the governor spring.

I used to get mowers at garage sales, work them over, and re-sell them. In my opinion, Tecumseh engines would have been OK if they actually made two of them alike. Too many options on carbs, linkages, etc. And then when Sears specs out what they want it gets worse.
Briggs engines are the easiest to work on and are the most reliable inexpensive motors.

Yes.  I tried priming it, but the bulb doesn't feel like its priming.  There's no resistance like there is when I prime my weed eater, or hedge trimmer.  

If I buy a carb rebuild kit for this lawn mower, would it include all the parts mentioned, such as pin, needle, float, etc?

Please excuse the retarded questions.  I've never worked on a lawn mower before.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I thought my yard looked bad but man yours looks like crap.

Link Posted: 9/27/2008 7:21:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Dude are you near central TX, FT.Hood area? I threw a very similar mower(looks identical) out a few months ago. I had the carb off and said fuck it not worth my time. Did a ghetto reassembly and left it on the curb. It was gone a couple hours later.

It was having a similar problem that's why i ask.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Dude are you near central TX, FT.Hood area? I threw the a very similar mower out a few months ago. I had the carb off and said fuck it not worth my time. Did a ghetto reassembly and left it on the curb. It was gone a couple hours later.

I'm in Dallas.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dude are you near central TX, FT.Hood area? I threw the a very similar mower out a few months ago. I had the carb off and said fuck it not worth my time. Did a ghetto reassembly and left it on the curb. It was gone a couple hours later.

I'm in Dallas.

Doubt it would make its way up there but you never know! lol If it has a brand new spark plug it may be the one i tossed.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#21]
The rebuild kit should come with a new needle and seat, all the gasgets and o-rings, and a couple of welch plugs that I never remove anyway. It will not come with a float.
The mixture on that one is not adjustable. It relies on an orifice in the bottom plug (the bolt you remove to take off the bowl) and a fixed jet which is screwed inti the tobe in the center. Make sure thet both of these are clean.
I have seen many Tecumseh engines that didn't feel as if they were priming, but started fine.
Just make sure you get all the numbers off the engine cover and take them with you when you go get the kit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The rebuild kit should come with a new needle and seat, all the gasgets and o-rings, and a couple of welch plugs that I never remove anyway. It will not come with a float.
The mixture on that one is not adjustable. It relies on an orifice in the bottom plug (the bolt you remove to take off the bowl) and a fixed jet which is screwed inti the tobe in the center. Make sure thet both of these are clean.
I have seen many Tecumseh engines that didn't feel as if they were priming, but started fine.
Just make sure you get all the numbers off the engine cover and take them with you when you go get the kit.

Thank you very much for your input.  Its much appreciated!  I'll give it my best shot at fixing it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you very much for your input.  Its much appreciated!  I'll give it my best shot at fixing it.

One more thing, Don't go to Sears to get the kit. Too expensive and they will have to order it. Go to your local small engine shop or even NAPA.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One more thing, Don't go to Sears to get the kit. Too expensive and they will have to order it. Go to your local small engine shop or even NAPA.

But make sure you get the serial number and model number off the ENGINE [NOT the mower itself] before you go buy one because they WILL ask you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top