Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/26/2008 5:30:58 AM EDT
Here's the story, I bought a Aimpoint off a guy from the equipment exchange about 2 months ago.  Yesterday, the CID picked it up.  Long story short.  This does happen, they do watch this website.  If you don't know how to recongize a Government from civilian Aimpoint.  It is simple.  All civilian Aimpoints will have tne number 10336 on them.  If your does not, be careful.  i checked on the exchange yesterday.  I found about 5 stolen/acquired or whatever you want to call on there.  Pictures are a wonderful thing.  Sad thing,I'm now out $275.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:33:45 AM EDT
[#1]
On the positive side, there is an internet record of your purchase and because of it, you are not in jail.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:34:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:35:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Same with any gear you purchase here.  If the military uses it .... for real ... you better be carefull to keep receipts.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:38:47 AM EDT
[#4]
No jail, thanks to the moderators on here.  They notified me first.  Then i contacted CID.  Internet records are a wonderful yet terrible thing.  Just be careful, a receipt for a stolen item is still a stolen item.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:39:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Same with any gear you purchase here.  If the military uses it .... for real ... you better be carefull to keep receipts.

Uh, oh... I accidentally put through the wash my receipt for my AC-130...
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:40:10 AM EDT
[#6]
First, how in world would they know it was you?

I can not see a Military(CID) coming to house  for the item..

It would be the Feds, CID does not have any authority off base..

How would they know the serial number?

D0 you reallly thing CID watches EE for stolen Aimpoints ??
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:42:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Here's the story, I bought a Aimpoint off a guy from the equipment exchange about 2 months ago.  Yesterday, the CID picked it up.  Long story short.  This does happen, they do watch this website.  If you don't know how to recongize a Government from civilian Aimpoint.  It is simple.  All civilian Aimpoints will have tne number 10336 on them.  If your does not, be careful.  i checked on the exchange yesterday.  I found about 5 stolen/acquired or whatever you want to call on there.  Pictures are a wonderful thing.  Sad thing,I'm now out $275.  

Where do they put this 10336 number because I've got three aimpoints and not a one has that number on them?

They all do have 11416 and the serial number.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:43:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1

Pics or it didn't happen.

Whats more likely is they nabbed the guy and he provided the addresses and names he sent to.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:43:31 AM EDT
[#9]
You had a receipt, and they don't re-imburse you?  

That effen sucks.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:44:22 AM EDT
[#10]
How did they find you?  Are you in the service?
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:44:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

CID's civilian special agents are authorized by Federal statute to execute and serve warrants and other legal processes, and arrest without a warrant in some circumstances, during investigations in which there is an Army interest.

Forgot: The Posse Comitatus Act prohibits the use of Army personnel including CID, its agents and sources, by civilian law-enforcement authorities in the enforcement of civilian laws. However, this prohibition does not prevent CID investigative activity, even when there is a civilian law enforcement interest or involvement in the investigation, as long as the reason for the CID investigation is to satisfy Army investigative needs in a criminal matter of Army interest. The probable disposition of the offender, civilian or military, is not a determining factor. The Army interest must be a direct interest, must exist at the time of the CID action, and must be reasonably connected with the CID action taken. The fact that there previously was, or in the future may be, an Army interest is not sufficient. A determination that there is an Army interest must be based upon all the information available at the time and may change upon receipt of further information.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:45:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You had a receipt, and they don't re-imburse you?  

That effen sucks.  

You don't get reimbursed for Stolen goods. Buyer beware.

At $275 I would seriously be asking what is wrong with them. Seriously.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:45:59 AM EDT
[#13]
removed due to further details- don't want to make light of a situation involving a murder/suicide.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:46:02 AM EDT
[#14]
But it's not illegal to remove such numbers.............
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:46:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Want a copy of the property receipt?  The individual that I got it from was involve in a murder/sucide.  The agent came out of Atlanta to Birmingham.  When they have all the transaction info off of his computer.  They have you by your short hairs.  When i contacted them, they knew about me already because of the USPS Mo that he deposited in his bank.  Be advised Aimpointswithout the 10336 on them are Government property.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:46:46 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
But it's not illegal to remove such numbers.............

No, but by doing so, you are indicating you know it's stolen, which makes you a fence, and that is illegal.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:47:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:47:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Want a copy of the property receipt?  The individual that I got it from was involve in a murder/sucide.  The agent came out of Atlanta to Birmingham.  When they have all the transaction info off of his computer.  They have you by your short hairs.  When i contacted them, they knew about me already because of the USPS Mo that he deposited in his bank.  Be advised Aimpointswithout the 10336 on them are Government property.

Right, but CID didn't get the info off the EE. They got it from his personal effects and/or confession.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:47:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Should have made them provide their original reciept......
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:47:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:49:37 AM EDT
[#21]
well you will never have these problems when buying a tacpoint..
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:49:42 AM EDT
[#22]
CID over-stepped their juris-my-diction. They should have had civilian authorities accompany them, given you both a case number and a receipt for the property collected as you too are a victim in the matter. And how did CID learn that your aimpoint belonged to the Army?

I am not calling BS on you, but if what you say is ALL of what happened, CID sure screwed the pooch in how they handled the matter if you are 1. not in the Army, 2. Not on a military installation. CID agents are not known for showing up at a civie's door demanding Army property back, they will involve the civilian LE in the investigation and collect a statement from you as to how you received the stolen property as to testimony in military prosecution of the military persons assisting or outright stealing of Army property and selling it. They would have also have copies of the post on the EE as to the seller and records as to how paid for and such. The person(s) prosecuted for this as a result of also stealing from YOU by selling it to you, in a court's criminal proceedings, the defendants under normal course will be ordered to pay you restitution as a course of their probation after they pay uncle sam back in time spent in custody if even custody is ordered in their sentence. Either way, the thieves will be ordered to pay you restitution.

If anything,CID are thorough and NEVER just "go away" or leave loose ends.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:50:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:51:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CID's civilian special agents are authorized by Federal statute to execute and serve warrants and other legal processes, and arrest without a warrant in some circumstances, during investigations in which there is an Army interest.

Forgot: The Posse Comitatus Act prohibits the use of Army personnel including CID, its agents and sources, by civilian law-enforcement authorities in the enforcement of civilian laws. However, this prohibition does not prevent CID investigative activity, even when there is a civilian law enforcement interest or involvement in the investigation, as long as the reason for the CID investigation is to satisfy Army investigative needs in a criminal matter of Army interest. The probable disposition of the offender, civilian or military, is not a determining factor. The Army interest must be a direct interest, must exist at the time of the CID action, and must be reasonably connected with the CID action taken. The fact that there previously was, or in the future may be, an Army interest is not sufficient. A determination that there is an Army interest must be based upon all the information available at the time and may change upon receipt of further information.

THIS!

You said it better than I did.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:51:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
CID over-stepped their juris-my-diction. They should have had civilian authorities accompany them, given you both a case number and a receipt for the property collected as you too are a victim in the matter. And how did CID learn that your aimpoint belonged to the Army?

I am not calling BS on you, but if what you say is ALL of what happened, CID sure screwed the pooch in how they handled the matter if you are 1. not in the Army, 2. Not on a military installation. CID agents are not known for showing up at a civie's door demanding Army property back, they will involve the civilian LE in the investigation and collect a statement from you as to how you received the stolen property as to testimony in military prosecution of the military persons assisting or outright stealing of Army property and selling it. They would have also have copies of the post on the EE as to the seller and records as to how paid for and such. The person(s) prosecuted for this as a result of also stealing from YOU by selling it to you, in a court's criminal proceedings, the defendants under normal course will be ordered to pay you restitution as a course of their probation after they pay uncle sam back in time spent in custody if even custody is ordered in their sentence. Either way, the thieves will be ordered to pay you restitution.

Not if you called them first.  You know what happens when you invite them in.....
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:52:57 AM EDT
[#26]
The military Aimpoint are marked with just the serial number, Aimpoint M2, and Made in Sweden.  I have a copy of the MO to the guy.  The CID stated that most Aimpoints are logged by serial number in the property books.  Aimpoint informed me when I checked the serial number, that it was a stolen site.  Believe what you want, but once again I want to thanksthe MODS on here.  They were real helpful.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:53:21 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Not blasting you, bro, but, please provide MORE of the story than your initial post as it contains mondo WTF factor.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:54:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Until you see a thread that says "ROK CID took my Tacpoint...."
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:54:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not if you called them first. You know what happens when you invite them in.....

Dogs get shot?
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:55:11 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good to know.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:56:00 AM EDT
[#31]
While we are on the subject...

...how do I tell if a KAC RAS is .mil property or not?

Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:58:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not if you called them first. You know what happens when you invite them in.....

Dogs get shot?

No, this is the military.

Your beer gets drunk.
Wives and daughters get pregnant
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:59:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Here is the EE ad.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=566137

The above ad is not the seller who sold bax504 the stolen Aimpoint. -- M4Madness
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 6:01:35 AM EDT
[#34]
If you paid via PayPal or otherwise with your CC, be sure to dispute it and you're pretty much guaranteed to get your money back.

Otherwise, call out the seller on it and try to get your money back.  Barring honest behavior on his part, maybe a lawyer could get something back for you.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 6:01:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Well I guess it's a good thing I bought my M68 on egay instead of through EE

Link Posted: 9/26/2008 6:03:30 AM EDT
[#36]
I sure something may have happened with this OP, but to state that CID is actively checking EE for stolen articles was the flag..
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 6:04:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Sure.  Long story short.  i get a IM from a Mod on here.  Guy that I bougth a Aimpoint from was under investigation in stealing Government property.  He then commits murder and then kills himself.  I run a Army Surplus Store.  The Feds, CID and other agencies do check for stolen goods here.  Not often, but enought to get screwed.  The CID and the local investigate this event.  They have all of his personal effects, computers, receipts, and other items.  If you removed the serial number or paint it.  It would be hard to prove ownership.  I contact CID.  Whem agent gets back with me.  They have a copy of the MO that I paid with.  They have a list of items thathe sent out.  So maybeI saved my ass down the road by doingthe honarable thing.  Maybe not.  I for one do not buy stolen goods.  They arranged for a agent to pick it up.  i have a DA Form 4137, evidence/ property custody document.  Agent said that they have people that search around on this site.  He showed a couple of titems that were questionable on the exchange.  I checked after he left and found a few more.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 6:05:16 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Here is the EE ad.

What a great ad.  No wonder CID took an interest.  Seller's name is the user name and the guy pretty much describes it as US Army property in the ad!

The above ad is not the seller who sold bax504 the stolen Aimpoint. -- M4Madness
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 6:08:30 AM EDT
[#39]
No wasn't that ad.  But that proves there is  stolen stuff being sold.  I don't like that it happen but sometime it does.  I don't think that the CID looks here often, but if they have a reason.  They do.  Just beware.  Anybody got a RDS for sale.  I now need to replace one.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 6:10:52 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
No wasn't that ad.  But that proves there is  stolen stuff being sold.  I don't like that it happen but sometime it does.  I don't think that the CID looks here often, but if they have a reason.  They do.  Just beware.  Anybody got a RDS for sale.  I now need to replace one.

It wasn't that ad?

Yet, you bought that sight too?
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 6:13:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Hell no.  I bougth it from a guy who had a civilian address.  Found out later, he live offpost.  That ad is a good example of military equipment.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 6:15:01 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Hell no.  I bougth it from a guy who had a civilian address.  Found out later, he live offpost.  That ad is a good example of military equipment.  

Ummm, you reply in that ad that you got it today.

I'm confused.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 6:15:17 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Right.  And the ad just happens to get a snide response AND staff locks it.

Link Posted: 9/26/2008 6:15:46 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Sure.  Long story short.  i get a IM from a Mod on here.  Guy that I bougth a Aimpoint from was under investigation in stealing Government property.  He then commits murder and then kills himself.  I run a Army Surplus Store.  The Feds, CID and other agencies do check for stolen goods here.  Not often, but enought to get screwed.  The CID and the local investigate this event.  They have all of his personal effects, computers, receipts, and other items.  If you removed the serial number or paint it.  It would be hard to prove ownership.  I contact CID.  Whem agent gets back with me.  They have a copy of the MO that I paid with.  They have a list of items thathe sent out.  So maybeI saved my ass down the road by doingthe honarable thing.  Maybe not.  I for one do not buy stolen goods.  They arranged for a agent to pick it up.  i have a DA Form 4137, evidence/ property custody document.  Agent said that they have people that search around on this site.  He showed a couple of titems that were questionable on the exchange.  I checked after he left and found a few more.

So, is there a LEGITIMATE method to aquire a used military Aimpoint? I'm thinking that there are probably hundreds or thousands of battered comp M2 's that will eventually make their way to the civilian market. Doesn't the military upgrade to the latest generation every so often? The old, used ones have to go somewhere right? Can anyone with specific knowledge chime in?
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 6:16:20 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ummm, you reply in that ad that you got it today.

I'm confused.

(Sniff Sniff)

Whats that smell?
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 6:18:48 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here is the EE ad.

What a great ad.  No wonder CID took an interest.  Seller's name is the user name and the guy pretty much describes it as US Army property in the ad!

No shit, what was he thinking - you can't sell off issue gear.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 6:19:23 AM EDT
[#47]
can we see pics of legit vs stolen for reference. Knowledge is power.

PS if indeed there are suspect aimpoints in EE does arfcom have some sort of obligation to contact the Army about it?
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 6:22:32 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

The seller could have been the guy in this link who killed his LT then himself after the LT and a SSG went to his apartment looking for missing equipment.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 6:24:56 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where do they put this 10336 number because I've got three aimpoints and not a one has that number on them?

They all do have 11416 and the serial number.

My ML3 has the same, 11416.

Maybe the 10336 is just for CompM2s?
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 6:25:08 AM EDT
[#50]
They are on the board. I think there are some active investigations going on right now. I have no problem with that but maybe we can do something to prevent it in the future. Any way the mods could monitor the EE and stop questionable ads?
When this investigation goes public, AR15.com will be in the news again. Just doesn't seem like good press.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top