Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2001 9:23:06 PM EDT
I am looking for the best price on a set of high end rings and base.  I would be happy with any of the following.
Badger Ordnance
Autauga
Leupold MK4
I know there are some others so if anyone has any ideas or sources let me know.

Scott

Link Posted: 11/28/2001 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Why 'high end', if the scope doesnt move it doesnt move! Keep it simple and keep it basic. When you add bells and whistles you are adding more potential problems. I have never heard of any one having problems with a set of redfeild rings and one piece base on any rifle, as long as the action is square. If you are looking for long range super accuracy you have to keep all of your systems simple. get a good set of rings and a good base and then lap them in befor mounting a basic good scope.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Another really good brand is Warne.  I have a set of detachable rings for a CZ 550 rifle and they hold their zero after repeated removal and installation.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Have heard that IOR rings are very good.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#4]
... consider A.R.M.S. rugged as hell and detachable without changing point of impact.
[img]http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL16/408600/423895/5438859.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 1:04:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Schap, if you're mounting glass to most any bolt rifle, I'd highly recommend the dual dovetail system from Leupold. Variety of applications, finishes, etc., and absolutely Marine-proof, a very thorough job would include lapping the same for best fit/contact (but not required). One piece base and rings would go for no more than $60 about anywhere, YMMV. An ideal system, and worth it, without the cost of what I consider overpriced esoterica, because I see no advantage. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#7]
A very good STEEL, WINDAGE ADJUSTABLE ring in a Weaver base pattern would be the Millet.  These are either PIM or investment cast but absolutely are steady.  

I don't know about repeatability because I remove the base from my rifle (standard AR A2)to detach the scope.  That method is within one MOA.

Weaver rings are a PITA because of the one side clamping system that always torques the scope.  I've also had difficulty in lapping weaver rings and had to remove so much metal the clamp hooks were no longer aligned with the scope axis.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2001 2:16:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Two words: Badger Ordnance. Don't cheap out on rings and bases, you'll pay for it someday, probably when it is least convenient.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
... consider A.R.M.S. rugged as hell and detachable without changing point of impact.
View Quote

A.R.M.S #22 and #15.....[b]Goooooood pieces of gear.[/b]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you looking for a high end set for a dependable, permanent scope mounting?  Or a set so you can take your scope on and off often with confidence in a repeatable zero and not wearing out the mounting system?  Do you need a tapered base to allow you more elevation adjustment for 600 and 1000 yd shooting?  The answers to these questions will help dictate what type of system you need:  Lightforce/Badger/etc. versus Weaver/Burris/dualdovetail/etc.  I often shoot the same rifle at a 600 yd match twice, once in F Class w/scope and once in "NRA Highpower" w/ open sights on sight blocks.  That kind of application rules out many of the suggestions we've seen so far but are otherwise completely adequate for a solid, dependable permanent mounting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top