Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2001 3:51:20 PM EDT
ok, after reading recent posts, i have a few questions.

my rifle has a 11 1/2 in. barrel with 5 1/2 in. flash hider. 1 in 7 in. twist. and i use exclusively 55 gr. rounds.

i understand accuracy at long range is sacrificed with the barrel (out here anything beyond about 200 yds. is rare anyway) but is my understanding correct in that the round may not do much damage to a human target?

what is my actual optimim targeting range?

could you think of any ways to improve this weapon?

just a little info please..
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 4:02:12 PM EDT
[#1]
try not to think too hard about that stuff.In the end,it all comes down to tactics.The man behind the rifle.....a good rifle is just a bonus.Your weapon sounds pretty cool.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Your rifle is no good. Send it to me and I will dispose of it properly for free. It would help if you would pay the shipping.  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
ok, after reading recent posts, i have a few questions.

my rifle has a 11 1/2 in. barrel with 5 1/2 in. flash hider. 1 in 7 in. twist. and i use exclusively 55 gr. rounds.

i understand accuracy at long range is sacrificed with the barrel (out here anything beyond about 200 yds. is rare anyway) but is my understanding correct in that the round may not do much damage to a human target?

what is my actual optimim targeting range?

could you think of any ways to improve this weapon?

just a little info please..
View Quote

Troy provided a good overview of the terminal ballistics issue. I'll just point out that accuracy is in fact better with a shorter barrel, all else being equal. Of course, if you use iron sights, the short sight radius will really hurt your accuracy, but with a scope all else being equal your rifle will be more accurate than a rifle with a standard 20" barrel. Of course, with increased range the ballistic advantage of the longer barrel becomes a practical accuracy advantage.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Your rifle is just fine if you keep targets to within 300m max.  If you gut shoot some guy at 300m he'll probably quit fighting anyway, whether the bullet fragments or not.  Now if your using it to hunt with, the longer bbl becomes more crucial, and youi would'nt use FMJ's for that either.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#8]
the_survivalist,
I had the same barrel configuration on one of my AR-15s and experienced marginal accuracy with the weapon beyond 75-100 yards.  I rebarreled my AR-15 with a 16" barrel, cut my groupings in half and could actually hit targets out to 250 plus yards consistantly.  The 11 1/2" barrel with the 5 1/2" flash suppressor looks really cool, but I really didn't care for the accuracy it had with the shortened barrel.  If it had been full-auto and could've been used to "spray and pray" in an engagement, it might've been more appealing.  I have zero regrets for rebarreling the weapon because it is actually more usable in it's newer configuration.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd just like to add that I got to spend a day driving around with Troy lost in my own city.  He's smart.  Too bad I don't know where more than 2 gun stores are...

[):)]
NSF
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#11]
It looks to me like your twist rate is too fast for the 55 grain bullets.  Try a 1:9 twist for 55s or switch to 62s.  You aren't going to get good accuracy with 1:7 and 55 grainers unless maybe you do your own reloads.  Ask this question on the reloading forum.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I didn't see anyone refer to some info I thought I saw here recently. Apparently there are newer types of ammo available that are disigned for and burn completely in a short length of barrel and can actually lose velocity, for example in the last four inches of a 20" barrel if it burns out in 16".  Personaly, if it has to be 16" inches long, make the most of it as the above suggests.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top