Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:59:47 AM EDT
[#1]
this crap is just like that damn pokemon thing, it brain washes [whacko] all of the kids .if your going to let them read anything give them something real...(tom clancy) .brain washing is bad and they will never know what hit [stick]them when they get into the real world.!!! [50]

"the one"
out[marines]
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:04:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, 'This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know,' the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives."
--Robert. A. Heinlein
View Quote

This is an ironic statement. I for one, do not just follow the crowd for the sake of being "hip", which is why most people are watching it. So you belive that anyone who doesn't follow the crowd is oppressive? After all I did not see anything in his post about banning the movie, he just does not want his daughter viewing it. So what if the guy has values, and would take a stand for those values. That is more than most Americans would do today, after all it is easier to be a sheepolethan to be your own man.
Not a rant, just pointing out some holes in this whole discussion.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:06:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I also don't believe that Rand al'Thor is the Savior.  
View Quote

Now you have stepped over the boundaries!!!

RAND IS THE SAVIOUR HE IS COMING!!!!

Damn but that is a great series!!  I just wish he would write them faster.  Everytime he comes out with a new one I have to go back and start at the begining again just to keep current.  As a result my wheel of time is rather ratty.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:08:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, 'This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know,' the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives."
--Robert. A. Heinlein
View Quote

This is an ironic statement. I for one, do not just follow the crowd for the sake of being "hip", which is why most people are watching it. So you belive that anyone who doesn't follow the crowd is oppressive? After all I did not see anything in his post about banning the movie, he just does not want his daughter viewing it. So what if the guy has values, and would take a stand for those values. That is more than most Americans would do today, after all it is easier to be a sheepolethan to be your own man.
Not a rant, just pointing out some holes in this whole discussion.
View Quote

There is nothing in Heinlin's quote about following the crowd.  Its when the "moral" leaders decide just what you will be exposed to there in lies the problem.  

And there are PLENTY of people who are trying to ban both the books and the movies.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:15:52 AM EDT
[#5]
::[i]cough cough[/i]::
Just got back from Hell.
The boss says he's
not interested
in recruiting any
Harry Potter fans.
Hell is booked solid
for the remainder of the generation
due to the Pokemon craze.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:41:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Not that I am flaming or anything, I am asking this strictly out of curiosity....but, what about C.W. Lewis and his Narnia Chronicles? Would you let your kids read that? Actually my god mother bought me the series when I was 10 or 11. She is one of the most religious people I know and what is even more rare about her, is she LIVES what she preaches, unlike most "religious" people.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not that I am flaming or anything, I am asking this strictly out of curiosity....but, what about C.W. Lewis and his Narnia Chronicles? Would you let your kids read that? Actually my god mother bought me the series when I was 10 or 11. She is one of the most religious people I know and what is even more rare about her, is she LIVES what she preaches, unlike most "religious" people.
View Quote

yeah well thats "christian" magic
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I tried to stay out of this mess.....but, guess I'm feeling my oats today....

IMHO, if you hide all things from your younguns, their curious nature will prevail and they'll go out of their way to see it, and like it just to spite you.

If you want children safe around guns, do you just lock the guns up and not let the kids ever touch them, or do you show them how guns work and explain safety, danger, safety, good hunting/shooting practices, safety, and did I mention safety?

I let my kids watch R rated movies from around 7 or 8 and we laughed and discussed them, talked about REALITY vs MOVIE FANTASY! They read Stephen King books at a young age.

My daughter is 13, an "A" student, cheerleader and an equestrian competitor. The worst thing she ever got in trouble over was a bad grade in conduct, because she is so bored in class, that she talks too much.

My son will be 19 in January. He goes to college, works about 30 hours a week and the worst thing he ever did was ditch school because of continued vicious rumors at 16 when his whole life was being ruined by several peers. He moved in with me and is doing fine, other than being a lazy teenager.

I dunno what everyone is scared of, but the fucking news is much more frightening than any made up story, whether on TV, the movies or in a book.

My 1/50th of a dollar

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There is nothing in Heinlin's quote about following the crowd.  Its when the "moral" leaders decide just what you will be exposed to there in lies the problem.
View Quote

And there is a marked difference between avoiding the movie because of what the Bible says and what someone else has told me to do.  It seems to me that the Bible is crystal clear on staying away from anything that promotes witchcraft, demonology, or any of the other black arts.

And there are PLENTY of people who are trying to ban both the books and the movies.
View Quote

And that's a shame.  But so far, I haven't seen ANYONE here advocate that position.  My God says we all have free will to do as we will with our lives.  It is up to us to accept his word and live as he says or to ignore him and do what we feel is right.  Only one way gets us into heaven.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

And that's a shame.  But so far, I haven't seen ANYONE here advocate that position.  My God says we all have free will to do as we will with our lives.  It is up to us to accept his word and live as he says or to ignore him and do what we feel is right.  Only one way gets us into heaven.

God Bless Texas
View Quote

And what bugs me about all this is by stating a Biblical position as to why i would do what I would do, SOME people so EASILY make the quantum leap to accusations of book burning, censorship etc ALL OF WHICH I am against.

God doesn't need me to burn a book if He is against the principles it espouses. My God is bigger than that. He will TCB.

And no matter how much people may try to demonize my Bblical arguments by citing examples of people who CLAIMED to be "Christians" (but clearly violated God's Word thru their so-called "Christian" actions), that DOES NOT negate what the Bible says on any given issue.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#11]
My "yeah, me too" from the other thread:

Since my opinion is no better than anyone else's, I freely offer it here.

I was introduced to the Harry Potter series by my 11 year old daughter. She read the first book, then begged to read it aloud to my wife. She continued to do so with the next 3 books, the last one being over 700 pages. I read all the books, twice. I took the whole family to see the movie this weekend. While far from being an authority, I feel comfortable enough with the material to discuss it intelligently.

The books are fantasy. They describe a boy who's parents died protecting him from a thoroughly evil character. His parents were "witches" who went to Hogwarts School to learn their craft. Years later Harry, who has been raised by abusive relatives, is "rescued" by friends of his parents, and taken to the same school to learn "wizardry".

The main theme of the book is that there is good and evil in the world, and that we have to confront it on a daily basis. Other "lessons" are that it's sometimes hard to do the right thing, or a true friend will tell you when you're wrong as well as when you're right.

While many religions have associated witchcraft and Satan, no such connection is made in the books or the movie. In fact, I do not remember religion ever being discussed. No prayers are offered, nor is any Supreme Being identified. This, in and of itself, may be enough to condemn the series to those who feel that their religion defines their daily activity.

In the final analysis, I find no wrong with either the books or the movie. The books are a fast, fun read that keeps you turning the pages, like a good author should. The movie was fairly true to the first book. My wife's comment was that, "Too much had been left out. It could have been longer." The movie was already 2-1/2 hours, but I tend to agree.

To those who feel that the series is inherently evil, I can only offer this observation: There's enough real evil in this world. We don't have to go looking to assign it to a work of fiction. Do me a favor. Exercise your right to NOT see the movie or read the books. But, in doing so, I must respecfully ask that since you haven't taken the time to educate yourself on this subject matter, please refrain from comment. If you've got that much energy and free time, go spend some of it at a shelter for battered women and children.

I have, and it's a great place to see Satan's work first hand.

Sorry if I have offended anyone. Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, Harry Potter is kiddie crap compared to that.  Read C.S. Lewis, J.R.R Tolkien and George MacDonald if you want great literature.  The author of Harry Potter is not a great author, she appeals to kids intellectual laziness by writing formulaic crap.  

[disclaimer]
Of course I was pissed off when they explained what the Force was in Star Wars Episode I.  I thought it was much better without the fictional microbiology lesson.  Technology is often a crutch for lack of imagination.

Yes, Have read it all.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I am a devout Christian.  I find nothing wrong with Harry Potter.  I happen to think that it is inferior in quality to other alternatives.  I do not encourage my son to read it, or Pokemon, or Power Rangers or anything else that is all the rage.  Anyone wish to discuss this further?

Maybe instead of flaming Christians and heaping the insults, which are just recycled Pap, you could engage in an intelligent conversation.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#14]
regarding C.S. Lewis and the Chronicles of Narnia:  although i have absolutely no proof to offer just this second, the books in that series actually parellel the decidedly Christian aspect of Jesus, His life, death, resurrection, and return to Earth.  or so said the teachers in my classes at Christian elementary school.

i've often read of quotes by C.S. Lewis that deal with Christianity/faith/spirituality, and the context of those quotes would lead one to believe that he is a Believer.

i guess that would be the difference.  small, but there nonetheless.  fwiw, i immediately thought of the same example when i read this topic.  but then i realized that Lewis actually supported Christianity in his books.  not sure that HP does.  then again, i'm not even sure that HP opposes Christianity.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 1:40:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I took my kids to see it because it's not reality. They are taught the difference between a story and a GODly life, fantasy and reality. If I wanted to shelter them from the sins of the world, I would not be doing them a favor beacase when they grew up and graduated from home school they wouldn't be able to relate to anyone and the chances of them participating in a christian conversion would be zip! Harry Potter is a story just like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Excalibur, Shrek. Should I throw these movies out too?!
The point is... teach your kids that IT'S JUST A STORY! IT'S NOT SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN! In the movie the wizards school took Christmas vacation. Chldren are intrigued by the story of magic and someone used it to tell a story about courage. That's all. And in closing, my kids know that what really matters is.. Jesus is LORD! Hope you all ave a good day, enjoy the movie.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top