Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Might just take exposure. There are plenty of folks out there who's only experience with firearms is the media - which aint good. So they become hoplophobes or at the very least hold some odd beleifs.  

Was a long road with the wife and in-laws. None are shooting competitively or own their own guns but I get a couple calls a month from the family seeing if I can be coaxed out to shoot a bit. I never miss an opportunity. But she wasnt so accepting at first - they made her anxious.

Once I had matrimonial intentions made it very clear to my wife-to-be that shooting was a sport I enjoyed and it would continue. I pointed out, very gently, that her fears were somewhat irrational BUT understood. I explained that I would never do anything that I felt was a significant risk to my family or myself.

Real breakthrough was reviewing some tapes I had made of different competitions; some up at Perry, other highpower events, and some IPSC. Look at all those people she commented, and women and families. It destroyed her preconceptions.

Sometime after that locally we had a lunatic hunt down some co-workers killing some and injuring others. One gent was warned some how and was prepared when the perp showed up. Caught him center of mass with two .45s and the looney fled. He had a vest on and bruised up, but wasnt dropped. Went on to kill or injure the next folks on his list, I beleive, but the armed guy was nearly a hero.

Watching all this unfold on local news she asked if I would have been able to stop him. Told her I wasnt sure, but I doubted I would be less effective then then the gent with the .45. She told me I better shoot more. Decided she would be a good mom for my kids.

Work it out beforehand, realistically.  Luck to you mate.

Luck
Alac
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top