Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2001 11:08:51 AM EDT
I say they will hit our food supply.  Since we're such an open nation, it should'nt be too hard.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Nowhere.

We had the Sept 11 attacks, and some letters mailed about the same time (?)

What has happened since then?  Nothing.  Just the residual effects of the anthrax mailings.

I think they shot their wad.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree with fight4yourrights, plus we're sending their homeland further back into the stoneage. Afghanistan won't even rank as a 3rd(or 4th, or 5th) world nation anymore by the time we're done playing there.

[usa]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I say they will hit our food supply.  Since we're such an open nation, it should'nt be too hard.

What do you think?
View Quote

Interesting you should mention this as I was just contemplating this yesterday, and came up with basically the same answer.

But the more 'granular' question is where in the 'food chain' would they hit?

To difficult at the originating end... all those fields, etc...

But quite easy and probably would cause quite a panic if it were one of the major manufacturers, don't you think?

Imagine the run on Triscuts if Nabisco got hit [;)]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#4]
They're having a pretty big effect on our already ailing economy too.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#5]
If you were a terrorist behind enemy lines and your homeland was being bombed back to the stoneage, and you had been raised from birth to hate the enemy with all your heart and soul, and had been trained in many different ways by professional terrorists to wreak havoc, would you just stop and not fulfill your mission and miss the chance to see Allah?

This ain't over.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#6]
To answer the question, think like a terrorist.

1.  Al-Qaida despises western culture, particularly the United States' brand.

2.  Osama bin Laden's hatred of the USA is driven by the fact US Military forces are based in his homeland of Saudi Arabia.

3.  He knows the only reason the US government backs the royal House of Saud is our dependence on foreign oil.  Saudi Arabia is a reliable and efficient producer/exporter of oil.

4.  The terrorist's wet dream is to have Israel provoke a war against both the terrorist organizations like Hezbollah and neighboring sovereign states like Egypt, Syria, Jordan, etc.

5.  bin Laden wants the American people to answer the question:  "What's worth more of a sacrifice....coming to Israel's aid in a war of aggression or assuring the supply of Middle Eastern oil?"  bin Laden figures if the game is played on his terms, there will have to be a choice between Israel and oil.

I'm betting the next attack is on some symbolic western target in Saudi Arabia, perhaps the US Embassy, and the audacity of the attack will rally the malcontents to rise up and overthrow the House of Saud.  New government in Saudi Arabia, hostile to the United States, forces the US military out of Saudi Arabia.  The US is going to have to cut some kind of deal to keep the oil.  Maybe higher prices.  At the same time, Israel is more vulnerable and may feel pressured to go on the offensive.  We will denounce Israel's actions, of course, and set off fierce political debate in Congress between the Israeli lobby and those who fear the shock of manipulation of the oil market.

On the homefront, an occasional biochem or suicide bomb attack keeps everyone jumpy and more focused on internal security.  The average American in flyover country won't care about Israel when he's thinking his block is next.

Until the US and it's allies get really serious about this war, it's bin Laden's game to win.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you were a terrorist behind enemy lines and your homeland was being bombed back to the stoneage, and you had been raised from birth to hate the enemy with all your heart and soul, and had been trained in many different ways by professional terrorists to wreak havoc, would you just stop and not fulfill your mission and miss the chance to see Allah?

This ain't over.
View Quote

Well, why are they waiting?  I think we all love a good crisis, and we've got people calling the cops over coffee creamer.

None of us know what they will try next, but I don't think they have the capabilities they are credited with.  If they had another arrow in the quiver, I would think they would have shot it by now.

I guess they could be waiting for us to lose our will and go away......
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#8]
How about the introduction of Mad Cow disease in the US? The results would be very bad.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I just hope they don't contaminate the US supply of Hostess Twinkies [:O}
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Why are they waiting?

Security is a little tight right now. People are jumpy and not afraid of using 911.

I'm a fireman at a haz mat station and have been to a LOT of "white powder" calls.

If I were behind enemy lines, I would wait too.

And, even if my access to funding and/or technology was cut off, I could probably think of some way to f**k up the enemy.

As a terrorist, I would not target the military or law enforcement.

I would spread real terror. Go for the people, maybe the children.

Of course, if that ever happened, there would be hell to pay.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#11]
My friends and I have discussed many methods that terrorists could use to spread terror that would not be subject to the current security level.

Obviously I won't list any of them here, but we believe there are numerous things they could attack that are WIDE OPEN right now and would virtually shut our country down.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#12]
They've got the media attention for now.  Once their cause is not in the limelight, I believe they will jog our memories.

All they need do for now is feed us misinformation and "probable threats" and we'll run around in circles giving them all the coverage they've wanted for years.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#13]
They are waiting for us to relax, then the shit will hit the fan!imho
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They are waiting for us to relax, then the shit will hit the fan!imho
View Quote

Then why didn't they wait to release the anthrax?  If they are [i]pulling an attack, wait for us to settle, then attacking again[/i], doing the anthrax now doesn't fit the pattern.

(assuming they are behind the anthrax, of course)

PLUS, the longer they wait the greater the risk of getting discovered and captured.

I think they would have acted by now, if they could.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#15]
It sounds like we had info and some forewarning that these terrorists were planning something.  Hopefully, the 1000+ people rounded up include many of the additional cells.  This could be one reason not much else has happened.

Unfortunately, these terrorists will wait for the prime limelight opportunity, before striking again.  Which leads me to wonder about this half-@ss anthrax problem.  Maybe a distraction, or maybe most of the group was rounded up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top