Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/9/2008 2:01:14 PM EDT
I took my ASVAB last night and made a 57 dont know if thats good or bad but i know i needed a 50 to get a ranger contract. anyone have more info or can anyone tell me how i did lol
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#1]
57? Damn.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Good enough brother.  Good luck to you on your career.  

eta:  Score is out of 99.  Did they give you any other break down?  Or just than number?  It usually broken down into multiple parts.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#3]
It means you are smarter than 57% of the people who took the test.

Now you know that you are not below average!

Link Posted: 1/9/2008 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted: I took my ASVAB last night and made a 57 dont know if thats good or bad but i know i needed a 50 to get a ranger contract. anyone have more info or can anyone tell me how i did lol
Sorry to tell you this, but you're a moron. Think about all the people you know who got a 57 percentile score on the SAT... Do they impress you?
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#5]
you qualify for most jobs, except some of the electronics and nuclear stuff.

FYI, there are study guides at the bookstore that do help vastly. Its not unheard of for people to use the study guide then go back and raise their score by 20-30 points overall!

take it again.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted: I took my ASVAB last night and made a 57 dont know if thats good or bad but i know i needed a 50 to get a ranger contract. anyone have more info or can anyone tell me how i did lol
Sorry to tell you this, but you're a moron. Think about all the people you know who got a 57 percentile score on the SAT... Do they impress you?

he aint a moron..thats just a stupid thing to say.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't worry, out of six guys I went with to take the ASVAB, only two got above the 30s, myself and one other guy (99 and 93, respectively).
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/9/2008 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

are you so cultured that you don't use slang anymore? Elitist puke, FOAD.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry to say, but that is not a very good score.  I scored a 97 and I'm no rocket scientist...

Link Posted: 1/9/2008 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/9/2008 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, there should have been an apostrophe there.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I took my ASVAB last night and made a 57 dont know if thats good or bad but i know i needed a 50 to get a ranger contract. anyone have more info or can anyone tell me how i did lol

If it get's you where you want to go, it's a good score.  Don't worry about what anyone else got.  Some people test well, but have no common sense.
FWIW, I got a 98 overall when I took it, but that was over 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Goodluck on your new adventure!!!!!!!!! Rangers Lead the Way!
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I got an 80 when i took mine, my recruiter was so happy, he told me i could get a real good job, then i told him i was going infantry.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I would say that you are the moron.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#19]
57QT is is fine.  It's roughly the equivalent to a C/C- in high school.  Assuming you're a grad, have the required line scores, pass the background checks, pass the phys, AND the slot is available; you'll get a contract similar to what you are looking for.

The cock measuring contest of some of these tards like Mr. readyornot

Sorry to say, but that is not a very good score. I scored a 97 and I'm no rocket scientist...
shows that they should stick to taking the ASVAB versus explaining the scores as they obviously have no clue what they are talking about.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I got an 80 when i took mine, my recruiter was so happy, he told me i could get a real good job, then i told him i was going infantry.

Newsflash dude.  The recruiter does not care what job you take, just that you take a job you are happy with, cause no problems in DEP, ship, and graduate from BCT/AIT.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#21]
He asked how he did. Would you rather he be told a lie? Of course sweetie, scoring slightly better than average is GREAT! GO SELF ESTEEM! WOOOOOOO!

Link Posted: 1/9/2008 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Yeah, let's rip on the guy who wants to serve his country.  Some of you have zero class.  Grow up.

No shit...
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quit measuring Dks by putting your own score up there...bud, you didn't do badly, but you could do better.  

Go ask around and find out what is now the best resource for studying for this thing.  Set real and managable goals and make sure you are taking practive tests along the way UNDER TIME CONTRAINTS.  Dont cheat yourself by answering one question looking at the answer and moving on....do a whole lot under time then check....make sure you take ONE FULL LENGTH practice test UNDER TIME before you go take the real thing again.  

Your score cannot go down if you do this.  Unless you go in high/drunk and even then you will beat someone.

-Focker out
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
He asked how he did. Would you rather he be told a lie? Of course sweetie, scoring slightly better than average is GREAT! GO SELF ESTEEM! WOOOOOOO!

Actually this is the comment you made.  It wasn't what I refereed to, but did you say he did average, or are you just ripping on him?  

Quoted:
57? Damn.

FWIW, 57 is not bad, and is better than the average HS kid that takes the ASVAB.  Referencing his other thread he probably won't have a 110 GT, but he did OK.  Then again, what did 3 years of recruiting teach me about ASVAB scores.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Yeah, let's rip on the guy who wants to serve his country.  Some of you have zero class.  Grow up.

If he didn't 't want to hear the answer, he shouldn't ask the question.  The score is slightly better than average on a test given to people wanting to enter the military.  

Again I'm sorry, but I stick by my answer, it's not a very good score.

Do you want me to answer like a mommy and say "As long as you did your best, I think you did great!"
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#26]
It's a respectable score and will get you most jobs..if you need something higher, you can probably study to get there.

Best wishes to you and thank you for stepping up.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#27]
If you want a Ranger contract and you qualified for it then you are done.  You won't be needing a higher score.  For the Ranger contract I believe you need a GT score of 110 or higher.  If you have that then you are a go at this station.
Now get down to MEPS, put your mark on the paper and swear in.

If these assholes are hurting your feelings by making fun of your score you might not be made out of tough enough stuff for the Rangers.

FYI you will be considered a quality recruit by Army recruiters.  The Army wants you and it needs you.  There is a war on.  Anyone interested in serving right now deserves respect, so fuck those guys.  

Now, call your recruiter and get down to MEPS and join up.

ETA to fix a word.  Damn grammar nazis.

"It's a damn poor mind indeed that can't think of at least two ways to spell a word."  Andrew Jackson
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If he didn't 't want to hear the answer, he shouldn't ask the question.  The score is slightly better than average on a test given to people wanting to enter the military.  

Again I'm sorry, but I stick by my answer, it's not a very good score.

Do you want me to answer like a mommy and say "As long as you did your best, I think you did great!"

No see my response...CONSTRUCTIVE, he leaves knowing something not just wanting to go put a shotgun in a vice grip and tie a string to the trigger. You did not benefit anyone with your response.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I got a 97 and I was / am a nerd.... Thanks for testing, best of luck with your career.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#30]
thank you for serving.  Good job
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#31]
I can't believe some of you guys only got a 99 out of 100 on the AFQT.  After I took the test they called the guy who wrote the test and told him that he failed.  On some questions I marked two answers and they were both right.  My score was so high that the computer broke and FAX machines overheated in six different recruiting offices.  They offered me a garanteed Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff contract but I went Infantry instead.  They retired the Stealth Fighter because I sketched out a better design on a napkin while I was having lunch at MEPS.  The "surge" was my idea.  I invented the MRE heater and Jalapeno Cheese while I was still in HS JROTC.

I'd tell you my ASVAB score, but it's classified Top Secret.  My brain is actually considered a National Security Asset.   I have a team of specially selected MPs that guard my head 24/7, 365 days a year, because Al Gore wants me dead.

You guys that only got a 99 should buy the study guide.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#32]
I scored a 59 5 years ago and didnt even study.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#33]
SCShooter,
Best of luck to you.

I still remember one of the questions from the Asvab, 15 some years ago.

A fish has what?
Hooves
Fins
Horns

Most likely a question to see if you're paying attention.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I can't believe some of you guys only got a 99 out of 100 on the AFQT.  After I took the test they called the guy who wrote the test and told him that he failed.  On some questions I marked two answers and they were both right.  My score was so high that the computer broke and FAX machines overheated in six different recruiting offices.  They offered me a garanteed Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff contract but I went Infantry instead.  They retired the Stealth Fighter because I sketched out a better design on a napkin while I was having lunch at MEPS.  The "surge" was my idea.  I invented the MRE heater and Jalapeno Cheese while I was still in HS JROTC.

I'd tell you my ASVAB score, but it's classified Top Secret.  My brain is actually considered a National Security Asset.   I have a team of specially selected MPs that guard my head 24/7, 365 days a year, because Al Gore wants me dead.

Link Posted: 1/9/2008 4:10:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks to you guys that supported me and said some nice things. i bet most of these guys that are running there cum dumpsters push paper somewhere and dont want to get dirty. i didnt study for it and have not done a lick of math since HS. i know its not real high but all i want is to serve my country and protect my family and loved ones from danger. also i bought the ASVAB or Dummies at B and N today. and i have 2 more chances. i know i need a gt of 110 and i prolly wont get it on this shot ( wont find out my lines scores till firday) but i will try and try and try till i get into the Rangers. it been a dream of mine for a long time and i will never surrender.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 4:16:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Quit measuring Dks by putting your own score up there.

I got a 101.  That was the only way they'd let you into the Green Ranger Beret SEAL Sniper Corps to become a Space Station Screen Door Gunner, or to be the one guy who snuck into Iraq and dragged Saddam Hussein to that little spider hole so some grunts could scoop him up
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Most of the guys I grew up with (my 'squad') who joined got 40's, so you did pretty good really. One guy I know who became 87th Airborne got a 60-something, and was regarded as a god by the recruiter afterwards.

Myself? Mid-nineties. I really wanted to join when I took the ASVAB, too.

Catch is my medical history is far from clean, and at the time I took it I probably couldn't have gotten past MEPS. Things are a little more lax now from what I heard, and I'm considering trying to join once this semester ends. That or wait another year and go in as an Officer.

If I join, then my entire squad (the group of 11 friends I went through highschool with) will be in the military... I'm the last holdout, right now.

What can I say, we read Starship Troopers at too early an age...
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 5:46:23 PM EDT
[#38]
congrats i want to take one soon maybe next week or so. im takeing some time off after getting "fired". i got bored and stopped caring, it only took them 6mo's to get rid of meh.gif

i took one in high school and got 80ish i think i know it was good enough that the recruter made me sware off joining. fucker would show up at my house like 2-3 times a month.

i only took it in the first place to get out of class for a day
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#39]
You're forgetting, this is AR15.com, where everybody gets a 99 on the ASVAB.

Nice work man. Good luck with the Ranger contract! Honesty will get you far.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
You're forgetting, this is AR15.com, where everybody gets a 99 on the ASVAB.

I can give you my old recruiters number if you want to talk with him and confirm it (I got a 92, however, not a 99).

Nice work man. Good luck with the Ranger contract! Honesty will get you far.

+1. I know lots of guys with 40's who are doing really well... Upper fifties is a good place to be.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

+1.

Especially the guys who've never taken an ASVAB.

Link Posted: 1/9/2008 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

THAT IS LITERALLY THE FIRST THING ON ARFCOM THAT HS MADE ME LAUGH OUT LOUD !!!  THANK YOU FOR MAKING MY DAY WITH THAT POST.

YOU SIR ARE A MODEL AMERICAN!
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#43]
You know, it's funny. The large majority of people I have met thus far in the Army got scores around that area. Come to Arfcom, however, and EVERYONE got at least a 97.

Don't sweat it, dude. An ASVAB score has very little to do with how good of a Soldier you are. I'd take a low score with a good attitude above a high score with a bad attitude any day of the week and twice on sunday.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I took the practice asvab in the recruiters office and got a 37,55, and 69. I took the real one with NO studying and got a 78.
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 1:12:15 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I took the practice asvab in the recruiters office and got a 37,55, and 69. I took the real one with NO studying and got a 78.

Same with me... The one at the office said 60-something I think... A few days later, nearly burned out from that week of school, with no studying at all, I took the test.

I felt horrible during the test... I thought I was going to flunk it... Especially in the math section, where there were at least two questions I couldn't remember the formula to solve... I thought it was going to turn out worse than my SAT... And that sucked.

Got the results...

My reaction was as follows:

My recruiter thought I was reacting to bad scores at first, and kept asking what the results were... Finally I said it... He took the paper and looked for himself...

His reaction:

I need to get another copy of those results anyway for college... I'll post it in team once I have it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 1:33:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Any score that gets you the job you want is a good score.

Link Posted: 1/10/2008 3:50:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Hey you did well

Its been so long ago since i took mine i belive it was in the high 70's to low 80's

I dont know if the way they score has changed in the last 20 years or not.

At the time i had a choice from Nuc tech to cook so i got what i wanted (helo mech)

I wish you the best on your adventure Brother ...and remember Attitude>aptitude

And thank you for serving!  from a fellow VET
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 3:55:26 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

AFQT is not a percentage.  Speaking of morons....

SCShooter,

Don't listen to idiots who don't know the first thing about the test.  Lots of good advice here, lot's of morons, too.

The AFQT isn't a percentage.  It's a raw score made up from a combination of math and english subtests (your line scores).   57 is not a bad score.  With that score, there is a good chance you achieved your 110 GT.  Ultimately, if you score over 50, achieve line scores that qualify you for your job, and top a 110 GT then you qualify (score wise) for everything I've ever run across that the military offers with regards to bonuses, benefits, and schools.
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 4:06:16 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 4:27:40 AM EDT
[#50]
I remember calling the recruiter with my score and I told him I got an X3. He said, "not that fucking score, the line scores, hooah."

Thanks in advance for your service and stay safe.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top