Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2001 10:16:59 AM EDT
Looking at applying for a Credit Card that offers a cash back or rewards program.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Shell mastercard - 5% on gas, 1% on other stuff.  You get the money back that month as a credit.  Interest is fairly high, so pay it off each month.  My typical $2500 bill gets me about $50 credit, depending on the mix.

Exxon/Mobil is only 3%
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I did all the research but if you want to go by yourself see [url]http://www.creditcardgoodies.com/[/url] first. Summary page here [url]http://www.creditcardgoodies.com/analysis/[/url]

I carry the Fleet Financial Cashback. Graduated cashbacks up to 2% over $7999 per year.

Also I have the American Express Platinum Cash Rebate. It pays 1.5% over $5000.

Both cards are free. I figured that with my spending patterns (about $20K a year) I was going to earn about $300 cashback on the Fleet card.

Cash back cards are a better deal than either airline miles or gas cards. After your Shell 5% discount you are still paying 5% more for gas than you have to. Why???? My old First Card with United miles cost me $65 per year for 20,000 miles. You need 25,000 miles to go anywhere, but under my cashback system I could fly anywhere on any airline with the cash (if that's what I wanted) without the $65 fee.

Be careful when you go to American Express' website, they have so many cards. You want ONLY the American Express Platinum Cash Rebate.

I like helping people save money! [:)]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#3]
"I like helping people save money"  I like to save it! [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top