Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/17/2001 3:27:29 PM EDT
Not drug influenced or alcohol induced, but truly and honestly happy. I've been content for the most part, but I haven't been happy. It's even been worse since the September 11 attacks. I'm still in shock, but not to a severe degree. I don't even remember the last time I was truly happy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#1]
i was talking to a girl i liked, we were in my truck, at night, i was driving. we were getting along real well.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Last Monday when I was out shooting with my wife.  Nothing else was on my mind.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Sitting in Sharon's new apartment drinking flat Diet Coke.

Most of the answers will invilve women.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Just before leaving for work today...I was nuzzling my baby girl as she giggled, then my wife enlisted my other two daughters to jump on my back and tickle me.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Today, yesterday, I'd bet tomorrow... Get a career that you enjoy and is challenging and worthwhile, get a good woman who truly loves you, love your family, deserve their love and keep a small but true group of friends. That is what has worked for me.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Happiness is a state of mind.  When I am in deap meditation is usually when I am happiest.  This state usually allows me to be more helpful and kind towards others....that's when I am truely happy.

Sgtar15
[img]http://www.tartarus.net/images/dino/gex.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:42:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I do remember a few months ago when my buddies from Northern California came down to visit me. After a night of rampant alcohol abuse, we decided that we came down enough and piled into the Beemer. We were going down the coast as the sun was coming up. We decided to stop in Laguna Beach for some coffee. Watching the sun come up over the ocean in Laguna Beach with some of my best buds. I think I was truly happy at that time.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just before leaving for work today...I was nuzzling my baby girl as she giggled, then my wife enlisted my other two daughters to jump on my back and tickle me.
View Quote

You're a lucky guy, Robbie.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey bro, happiness is a perception. There have plenty of times in my life when I went just even keel....not real sad and not real happy.
Do you have any children? Family?  Give them a call , say hello and tell them that you love them.  It feels good.

Don't sweat the 9/11 shit. The world is going to be different place because of that incident. Hopefully state sponsored terrorism is going to take a dive south and not surface again.

Look at it as a blessing in disguise. Too long have the US masses have walked around with their head stuck up their ass in bliss. Well guess what? The world is a tough place and those days are over.
Makes my heart feel good to see us, as a nation, in condition yellow.  Thank your gods that it was only 5K not 50. Could have been a lot worse. But it was enough. Enough to spur this nation to action.
We are a nation of warriors.   We field the most lethal fighting force that this planet has ever seen. Put a grim smile on your face and get ready. Train your body and your mind for what’s coming.  Go get some.

Hang in there and go read the desaderada of happiness
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I did some serious thinking about a month and a half ago, on my 73rd birthday, about happiness.  I don't think I've ever been truly happy except when my son and daughter were born (but that quickly changed when neither of them survived).  I came to the conclusion that I just needed to be satisfied with as many almost happy/content/satisfied/"whatever word you want to insert here" moments as possible, because I couldn't figure-out any way to ever be truly happy.  I've never been one to be satisfied with anything less than perfect, but I'm going to have to learn to be.

Yesterday, I finished helping a neighbor put a roof on his house.  In exchange for that, he is giving me his reloading equipment.  I'm picking-up the stuff Friday.  I'm happier about the prospect of making my own rounds, than I've been about anything in a while.  My friend has enough components to reload about 2K of 38 special, so I found a 38 revolver.  It's an old Colt Police Positive that I traded my workbench for.  I didn't have a reason to have the huge workbench after breaking my nice vise barreling a FAL.  I don't really understand it, but I'm rather excited about the idea of reloading.  I've already got plans to make some nice target loads and a reduced load so that my wife can comfortably (she's had wrist surgery twice) shoot.  In anticipation of reloading, I didn't get to sleep last night, because I was reading-up on it.  "Like a kid at Christmas" is the phrase my wife used.  Maybe after I find a good target load or watch my wife enjoy shooting, I'll be happy.z
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sitting in Sharon's new apartment drinking flat Diet Coke.

View Quote

That's better than the new lemon stuff.
I,
assuming that I was tasting lemon fresh joy,
accused my girlfriend
of "Failure to Rinse Properly"

Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Just spent 18 days rafting through the Grand Canyon.  I was 'truly happy' about 5 seconds after driving into my driveway after returning.  I took that 5 seconds to get the damn door open and grab my wife and son.  THAT'S true happiness.

CB
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Well,IT'S ALMOST HUNTIN SEASON!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#15]
This morning. Been out scouting for upcoming elk hunt.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Probably late last augest when I was at the beach for a week.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#17]
August 22nd. The day I got my private pilot's license.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I gotta say, I'm touched by some of these replys from you guys.

I've recently experienced the hardest, most unrelenting 6 months of my life. I'll spare you the details, but for that reason this post got my attention.

For a while happiness has been a luxury that just hasn't entered my mind. Yeah, there's the occasional moments when I lose myself in something fun. Like last week firing 500 rounds through an MP5 for the first time. For those 500 rounds I was on cloud 9. But the feeling fades....that's life.

Thanks to some of the responses here I seriously am going to make a much larger effort to seek happiness. There's no reason to burn these precious minutes, hours and days waiting for something or someone to inject happiness in to my life. That's my job. I'm gettin' off my ass, I've been inspired.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Sept 5. The day before my wife died. We went out all day and did absolutely nothing. Just walked and talked, went out that evening to eat. Sat out on the porch that night and just looked up at the stars.

The last words we spoke to each other were "I love you". The next day she was gone. I'll never forget the day before as long as I live. Her laughter was like soft music.

PS, married guys, never ever let a day go by without saying it to your wives. You never know when it could be your last.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Every morning when I awake and the first vision that appears to me is my wife... [0:)]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#21]
You don't want me to answer that question. Trust me.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't think I have [b]ever[/b] been truly happy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#24]
... today
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#25]
i am happy every single day of my life. what is there not to be happy about? if you have your health, family, food ,shelter and water, what else do you really need. if igure eveything else is a luxury.  if you are not happy then it is your own fault because you are in charge of your own life!!

life is a gift , don't waste it.......
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#26]
John

Not to come off as overly-schmaltzy, but you make your own happiness; it doesn't come to you, but it's more or less invited. My big three for sustained happiness:

1- Find and keep the love of a good woman. Volumes have and will continually be written on this, so I won't even attempt to elaborate.
 2- Get your ducks in a row. (Things like security, money, financial planning, your house in order, a good job with prospects, etc.)
 3- Always have something to look forward to. This could be a vacation, a planned purchase, a date, starting a family, plans for improving something you already have, like a house, maybe... that sort of thing. Two biggies for me are trips with my family, and I like to buy my hunting/shooting gear via mail; nothing quite like having a package on your front step waiting for you after a tough day at work to turn you around. And of course, I positively live for this time of year, so my weekends are spent afield as much as possible.

Those three things combined make me very happy, especially I suppose because I have a lovely wife and sweeter-than-honey 10 year old girl with a sense of humor she got from her dad. Make your own happiness; it's easy.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Truely happy?  I don't remember.

Peaceful??  Most of the time, whether I have or have not, disappointed or satisfied, playing or working, pleasant or painful.

Just a simple adjustment of breathing until it almost stops- nice and slow w/ awareness and stillness.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Camp Perry.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Every time I hear my son laugh.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I am easy to make happy,
1) A small group in the 10 ring
2) Cold Mtn Dew in the morning
3) Kicking back after sex
4) Following the dogs on a good scent
5) Playing hooky from work and sleeping in.

Sometimes I think Americans expect too much.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#31]
everyday!  though some days i pay more attention to the sadness and despair than i do to the happiness.  but that's my fault.

i've got a boatload of things to be happy about.  i can share some with anybody who needs/wants some.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Happiness is a state of mind, but it's one that, for some people, is not easily obtained.  Like John91498, I've felt mostly content, but not very often 'happy'

my happiness story did involve a girl, of course!  [:)] I only felt happy when I knew I loved her and felt that she loved me back.  Well, she ended up breaking my heart.  

The only time I feel anything like real happiness is in the peaceful time in the morning when I'm sleeping the best.

Link Posted: 10/17/2001 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You're a lucky guy, Robbie.
View Quote

Thanks John
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#34]
My true happiness involves a girl - my 2 year old. Every time she giggles I get happy. Every time she say's Doh! like homer I laugh like an idiot.

I'm not, by nature a happy guy - content yes, but not happy. My daughters give me life.

-LevelHead-
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I was doing fine until I decided to answer this post.  Man, it has been a while.......
 The last three or four years were hell around here.  The family has suffered considerable, and concern for my children consumes most of my days, concern for Mrs Ops never leaves.  I think one pain free day might do it.  In the mean time, absence of any new disaster would be cause for celebration.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#36]
[size=5]1982[/size=5]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#37]
In a dream I had, where I won the lotto. Man, it was soooo real. Until I woke up. I just couldn't remember what those winning numbers were...:)

Rich
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:00:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Heh, I know the feeling, I was fine up until I decided to respond, and realize, I really cant remember the last time I was truely happy.  As can be expected, being a 16 year old guy is a very difficult thing to do, and is one of the most demanding times in your life.  I try to understand I am not the only one feeling this way, but recently, a good friend of mine died in a car crash, another friend, from a drug OD.  Personally, I never touch the stuff.  Havent so far, and don't plan on it.  My parents are divorced, three years ago, but it NEVER goes away.  There is always something to bring it back.  I just broke up wtih my girlfriend, today would be our anniversary, but I broke it off early.  I made the right decision, but its still hard.  Have the typical problems with friends that everyone my age does, but its all overwhelming.  To top it all off, my physics teacher deleted all of my homework grades, and I had to re-do almost a quarters worth of work unless i wanted to fail the class.  He of course, does not rememeber ANY of my damn work, and hes debating whether or not he should even accept it.  I have been diagnosed with depression, and it sucks.  Too many negative things at once will do that to you.  The things that give me temporary happiness are shooting, and cars, and girls to an extent.  I was happy the day I asked out my girlfriend, I was happy the day I my dad let me floor it in his Corvette, I was happy the day I ripped off my first round in the Beretta 92.

Thats about 3 days I can think of in the last 3 years that I was truely happy.  Divorce, depression, and being 16 are three very very bad things to have clumped together in one place.  I know what some of you are probably thinking, dont worry, I am very level headed, and well liked by most.

This has actually been a very infomrative thread.  Any ideas of stuff you do to make you happy?  I have thought meditation would be a good thing to learn, any suggestions, tips, tricks, or places to go online to help?
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Sometime about 1968
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#40]
This coming Sunday when I'll be getting married to my sweetie.....

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#41]
The last time I was truly happy was when we had a post count..
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#42]
bulldog1967, congratulations!  What are you doing for your bachelor party?  You might also be happy then.z
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Not to dismiss the evenets of 9-11 but I've been happy all damn day today.

First got several calls from potential customers that "might" just actually result in a sale.

Mid afternoon hit the range with a couple new guys/ ex Marines.

Shortly got booted for violating the "rapid fire" rule, dumb rule. Still a good day we walked out laughing at the old guys who got their panties in a bunch because we actually fired semi auto at full capacity.

Hit McDonalds, still a good day.

Came home, wife cooked Nachos and Tacos.

The wife suggested Playboy TV, blew me for damn knows how long and I eventually stopped nailing her a couple hours later.

Watch South Park in "spooky vision"; laughed my ass off.

Then watched some budget Bela Lougosi movie on AMC and chilled with the wife.

At bowl of Capt. Crunch and logged on AR15.com.

I haven't just been happy, I've been downright giddy all frickin day and can't stop grinning like an idiot.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Saturday, Oct. 15. Went to Vegas, Rode the Big shot and the roller coaster on the Stratosphere, then me and the woman went to the U.S. Open of Supercross later that night. What a day!
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#45]
9-11-2001 This year started out as one for the record books.  On of those rare times in life when everything is going your way, and you actually appreciate it.  Got my dream job in FEB, after 9 years of seeking it. A brand new baby girl in July, healthy and extremely cute. A new Kimber Eclipse also in July. Life could not get any better.

Now, thanks to the event of 9-11 the job is gone, as are any feelings of economic security.

The Family is still healthy, and truthfully, I feel real happiness when my daughter smiles at me.  Permanent happiness and contentment, however, will not return until I can get another job.  

Advise for the younger members: Happiness is found more in seeking your dreams, than in actually achieving them.  So decide what makes you happy, go after it with determination, and don't let anyone discourage you.  Happiness really is a state of mind, a matter of perspective.  We can be smacked around a bit by fate, but ultimately we are the only ones responsible for our own happiness.

That's all I have to say about thaaat.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#46]
The last time I was truly happy?  Well, let's just say I was not a bottle-fed baby.....  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 9:03:13 PM EDT
[#47]
The [i]last[/i] time I was truly happy would have to have been last Sunday. The weather was beautiful, and I got to spend the day shooting with my family, and a group of the best folks you could ever ask for.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm happy every time I make love to my wife of 30 years. I'm happy that my now grown children love me and are all leading independent, productive, happy lives of their own. I'm happy I survived Nam and had all these years that God somehow didn't grant to some of the best friends I ever made. I never take a day or a relationship with a family member for granted. I was particularly happy, and proud of one of my boy's August 2000 graduation from Parris Island, and my oldest girl's relief work at the WTC ( she's an ER nurse).
Always remember that life is what's going on all around you while you are waiting for some big event to occur. Be happy with all the small things life offers, like Robbie's impromptu romps with his toddlers. I enjoyed every one of those rasslin' matches with my 4, and would love to be able to do it again. Those were happy days.
Semper Fi, Dan and may God keep you safe until we meet again
Dustoff
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#49]
I am truly happy right now..I am in school getting a 4 year degree..I have a job and a loving boyfriend as well as great family and friends.. I am very grateful for each and every day that I live and everyone should feel the same way too..
Don' let the terrorists get the best of us!! Live life to the fullest.. Just think, it could be much worse, we could be living in a third world country, we could be communists, or we coul be getting bombed right now.. There is always a bright side to each and every day even in the face of tragedy.. Cheer up...things could be MUCH worse if you lived in many other parts of this world... We still live in the BEST nation on the planet! God Bless America!
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 9:50:13 PM EDT
[#50]
I have never been and will never be happy until Constitutional freedom returns to this land.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top