Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2001 10:53:46 PM EDT
do handheld 2 meter transceivers perform the same function as a radio scanner up to 1000mhz?  i'm a newbie to radios and want to learn more.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 11:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Some, but not many have full range receive capability. I know kenwood just came out with a new tri-band unit that recieves up to 1.3Ghz.

Link Posted: 10/14/2001 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Any late-model radio sold in the U.S. is going to have the cell-phone frequencies blocked.

The one I saw on sale at Rat Shack for $99 will receive 136-174 MHz only.

Also, the frequency scan function is not the same as newer scanners.  With the HT, you more than likely have just 1 bank of 30 frequencies, while with the newer "trunking" scanners you can have multiple separate banks of 20-30 frequencies each in at least VHF low & high bands, plus UHF.  You could have one bank programmed for your local public safety trunking system, a second bank for strictly untrunked state frequencies, a third for an assortment of tow-tuck and taxi drivers, etc.

I would not buy a ham radio unless you have a license, which is something I'm working on myself right now.  It has gotten a lot easier in the last several years,
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:16:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Study, get our license, when you pass, reward yourself with a radio.
Don't buy the radio without getting a license.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:24:42 AM EDT
[#4]
A 2M ham radio is only expected to cover 144-148Mhz.  Anything outside those frequencies is considered an extended receive range.  Like prk said, 136-174Mhz is a common range of receive frequencies.  Asking which is the best radio is like asking which is the best gun.  There is no best, it's just a matter of what you need and how much that costs.  The HTX-202 (radio shack, not sure if they still make it) has the least problems with intermod, but it also has no coverage outside the ham band and can't be modified at all.  Your best bet is to find people locally who have experience and talk to them about what they like, then make a decision based on that.  This will still end up being just as bad as the "which handgun should I buy" threads.  Experience is the best way to decide.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 5:01:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Derek45, simple question, why?

Don't the Airwaves belong to the "people"?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 5:46:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would not buy a ham radio unless you have a license, which is something I'm working on myself right now.  It has gotten a lot easier in the last several years,
View Quote

I plan on taking the test this Saturday. If it's easy now, I'd hate to see what it was before. Do they just take the easy questions from the pool?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 5:52:14 AM EDT
[#7]
MY nephew has been talking  me into Ham Radio. I was just at his house, and it is time to get my ticket. The Tech Plus is real easy exam and 5 wpm code, with limited range of freqencys. But some 2 m and hf. I just have been too busy buying guns. But during the attack the cells and regular  phones were down. Ham still worked.
Heilo, as for the 'people' Ham radio has pretty much no problems, an ass here and there interfreing with you TV or emergency services radios can cause real headaches. Of all the Hams  I know, they are the most polite and civic people. It is  one thing to keep that way.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I never used my ham radios.

The 'Old Timers' are jackasses.

I found I had better things to do than get into
a war of words with them.

God forbid your a no code license.......

You would think they would welcome with open
arms all new hams. Considering there battle is to hold as much of the radio spectrum as they can.

If there not fighting the gov't there fighting
each other.

Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:57:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I personally reccomend the Yaesu VX-5R.  When it was released it was the world's smallest traceiver, and has a frequency reception range that is not common among handhelds.

License or not, they make great emergency radios.  I have one in my Bug Out Bag.

This link has the basic overview of the VX-5R.
[url]http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/vx5r.html[/url]

This is the spec page.  Notice the RX Frequency range towards the bottom.
[url]http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/vx5rtx.html[/url]

RX Range:
0.5 - 1.8 MHz (BC Band)
1.8 - 16 MHz (SW Band)
48 - 59 MHz (50 MHz HAM)
59 - 108 MHz (FM)
108 - 137 MHz (Air Band)
137 - 174 MHz (144 MHz HAM)
174 - 222 MHz (VHF-TV)
222 - 420 MHz (ACT1: Action Band 1)
420 - 470 MHz (430 MHz HAM)
470 - 729 MHz (UHF-TV)
800 - 999 MHz (ACT2: Action Band 2 Cellular Blocked)

TX Range:
50 - 54 MHz
144 - 148 MHz
430 - 450 MHz

It can also be modified to transmit outside of these bands, but you will lose transmit strenght.

I have the Rat Shack HTX-202, and it's a decent radio to start with, but I'd save your money and go with a radio you can use for a long time instead of just a starter one.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 4:35:31 AM EDT
[#10]
The VX-5R costs about $300.  I don't know anything about that one, but I have a VX-150.  

This is a 2-M HT, the Yaesu Vertex VX-150.  Runs about $150.  Get the hand mic for an additional $30.  Also get a second battery or a AA Battery case (about $45 each).

5 full watts of power, 200 memory channels.  This is an excellent 2-M radio.

The Radio Shack line of crap is just that - CRAP!

If you want a full range scanner - get a full range scanner.  The 2-meter HT's that cover everything only put out about .5 watts of power.  However, the AES catalog says the VX-5R is also 5 watts, GBTexas, can you verify?

Try [url]www.aesham.com[/url] and get yourself a free catalog before you order anything.

Also try [url]www.qrz.com[/url] for all your ham needs and info.

Here is another topic on radios:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=53024[/url]

73's, Blackie
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 4:50:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I just bought "Now You're Talking" this past weekend and hope to take the Tech. no code test in a week or two.  I'm going to look at the VX-5r myself.

[b][red][i]Libertas an Mortis![/b][/red][/i]
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 5:35:58 AM EDT
[#12]
The VX-5R is capable of doing 5w when the AC converter is plugged into it.  otherwise it operates at a maximum output of 1w on battery and can be set lower to conserve battery life.

I see them used for less than $250, especially on ebay.  I paid just over $300 after tax when they were new and have been very happy with mine.  

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Derek45, simple question, why?

Don't the Airwaves belong to the "people"?
View Quote

No, not if you're going to transmit. why do you think your local TV, rock&rollstaion, police and fire dept. station have a callsign issued by the FCC.

If you buy a ham radio and start talking without a license.
1. You could be fined by the FCC
2. Hams won't talk to you unless you have a valid callsign. they police there own bands.

If you don't want to get a license, buy a CB or family radio from wallmart. Be prepared for foul mouthed idiots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top