Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2001 5:30:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 5:48:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Not everybody is here 24/7, except maybe Imbroglio. Anyway, the GD can get wild at times, and having this many mods makes sure there is always someone around.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#3]
The sad thing is BEER....you are not far from the truth....

Link Posted: 10/1/2001 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Thing is, we wouldn't need moderators if everybody behaved. But people like McUzi comes and and screws it up.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
actually even mcuzi wasn't a problem until the mods pushed him. then he made an ass of himself trying to see how far he could push them. I think if they hadn't over reacted the whole thing would have died on it own.

mike
View Quote

To tell you the truth, mcuzi was before my time. [;)]. Anyway, I was using him as a general example.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 1:35:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I get real tired of the What does BTT mean? and what is the best handgun caliber to stop an attacking Grizzley, not to mention all the Bin Laden bullshit going around. I was bummed to see the Kali-kitten and Blonde Bombshell threads locked. Hell they were entertaining! Saturday had to be a record for locking threads and the reasons for doing such...This thread is getting old? New Mods are like new cops...they feel as if they have to do something even if it's wrong. I don't need to be protected as much as some people here would like to believe.

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 3:59:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thing is, we wouldn't need moderators if everybody behaved. But people like McUzi comes and and screws it up.
View Quote

[b]You,[/b] sir, are setting an pathetic
example.  Bringing up the name of one individual, who is not here to defend himself,
to describe the type of character you believe
to be detrimental to the forums, is not only
juvenile, it's assinine.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 4:22:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Actually, regardless of whether or not there has been too much moderating as of late, the McUzi example is sound.  Specifically, I am referring to his hate/race speech that I read over the last year.  That is a good example of why someone should be "moderated"; when their behavior rises to a level of hate/race speech.  And no, it does not take a rocket scientist to descern what is hate/race speech.  His was rather unambiguous.

Pointing this out when McUzi is not "present" to defend himself is not "pathetic", it's an illustrative example, PERIOD.  This is not a courtroom where such an example would be followed by rebuttal from apposing counsel.  If you think the example is unfair, then you defend him, but don't throw around terms like "pathetic" based solely on the use of the example.  It's real easy to call someone "assinine" and "juvenile";  you do it without any authority and zero reasoning to back your ass up.  Sounds like you just picked a target and threw out some names for the heck of it.  Brilliant.

Further, if you want to get technical, McUzi [i]could[/i] actually respond in one of several ways.  Logging on with a different handle, emailing me, you or Lib, and so on.

At any rate, I see nothing wrong with Lib trying to illustrate his point with a good example.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 4:29:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I beg to differ, Steve.  IMHO, member's conduct
can and [i]should[/i] be discussed in general
terms, whenever possible.  Especially when the
topic is one like general behavior and the need
for more/less moderation.

I think that it was pathetic to use his name
as an example.  To put it in light that you
might understand, how would you feel if I wanted
to discuss "People who kiss moderators asses
like Steve_in_Va?"  It wouldn't be necessary to
make my point, would it?
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 4:35:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Why not?  If I did kiss ass then it would be useful, for illustrative purposes, to give the example, you know, TO PROVE A POINT.  It's called the real world, and in the real world, real examples are used every day to enhance understanding of one's point.

For example, if I made a generalized statement that a very small percentage of members might display a significant lack of cognitive ability, I would use you as an example.  

Edited to include:

McUzi took me up on my offer (damn that was fast!) and emailed me.  He took issue with the resurrection of his name for the reasons stated by a3kid.  He also took issue with his banning and the reasons therefore.  I won't cut and paste the whole thing 'cause it's offtopic here.  

At any rate, I have no problem with his remonstrations regarding the [i]reasons[/i] behind his name being used as an example, even though I agree with those reasons and find nothing wrong with a good, specific, example being used to illustrate a point.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 5:12:57 AM EDT
[#16]
i realize that i should know better, but i am constantly amazed by the lack of civility on the net. while there is no substitute for the truth, there is honesty with kindness, and there is brutal honesty.

some people seem to take pleasure in brutality, flinging names and insults with the briefest of introductions, and i have to wonder which is more important to them, being truthful or being mean-spirited?
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 5:26:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Lurker, although I agree with some of what you are saying, I also think your overgeneralizing a bit.  Being "mean spirited" by your example, I glean from the tone of your reply, includes zealous ribbing.  

People who jab, jokingly or semi-jokingly, at me get a jab back.  I expect, and often recieve, the same in return.  In the end, it's just a message board, not my house, your house, the street or even a telephone call.  Don't take it too seriously and don't get too offended (especially in GD!) when quips go aflyin'.  

IOW, lighten up a little.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 5:35:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Leave the Moderators alone, they are a hard working people with a thankless job, I for one admire their intelligence and style.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 5:38:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 5:41:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I hope you are not talking in that tone of voice to a Moderator! It sounds as though you may have slain a few of those beers..
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 5:42:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
As much as Mcuzi may have pissed folks off he was challenging and provoking. Yes he pushed the threshold. But until he snapped he did make things interesting.

View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:32:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Steve-in-Va:
 I guess it's just a difference in personalities between you and I and we're
obviously going to have to agree to disagree.
I believe that a moderator should, whenever
possible, attempt to guide behavior based
on general terms.  There are alot of people
whose names could have been used in the point
Liberty was trying to make.  It also could have
been made without singling out anyone, just as
clearly, which is the way I would've handled it.

Anyways - [beer]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:52:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:23:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:54:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#26]
a3kid,

Fair enough- I enjoyed the exchange.

GB,

I cannot, given their performance as of late, defend the Skins.  I will, however, as always, tell you that the Cowgirls suck.

Steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top