Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2001 4:28:23 AM EDT
This is an article that I'm posting just for your consideration. Coming from Mr. Hentoff of [i]The Village Voice[/i], I cannot completely vouchsafe its factual contents.

The article is found at:
[url]http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0139/hentoff.php[/url]

A good blurb from the article -

"The explanation for this eagerness to relinquish our supposedly cherished freedoms is not only the rage and fear at the shocking numbers of civilians murdered on our own land by foreign fanatics for the first time in our history.

"The more frightening reason why the government can have confidence in our support is that most Americans have only the dimmest notion of what their constitutional freedoms are — and what it took to get them. So there is little concern that they and other Americans can be caught in dragnets of suspicion by a government that has suspended much of the Bill of Rights.

"This willingness to surrender what we're supposed to be fighting for is a recurring part of our history. During the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln imprisoned newspaper editors and other dissenters against his policies. In addition, he suspended the oldest right of English-speaking peoples, habeas corpus. 'The Constitution,' Lincoln explained, 'is not a suicide pact.'

"How many Americans, right now, would disagree with that conclusion?"

Eric The(Saddened,IfTrue)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#1]
He is making it all up.  The Bill of Rights is a myth.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I-AM-NOT-A-MYTH
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I-AM-NOT-A-MYTH
View Quote

That's right, you're a fantasy. ;)
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I-AM-NOT-A-MYTH
View Quote

That's right, you're a fantasy. ;)
View Quote

Merely a Figment of my imagination.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#5]
There just waiting for the last scraps of the document to decay at the smithsonian.  Then they can outlaw everyting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top