BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Some stories customers have told me...

Customer:Is that a Sten gun on the wall there?
Me: Yes
Customer: They were specifically made for the Normandy invasion! You know each man carried 5-6 of them when they landed in Normandy, the magazines were welded shut and when the weapon was empty, it was thrown away and the soldier took one from his back. The Stens are very dangerous to shoot, they don´t even have rifling grooves in the barrel

Some of these BS stories originate from our military where active duty personnel have started telling conscripts these and when the BS has been going on for 40 years, how can you argue when a man knows his stuff [:D]

Another one...

Customer: Do you have L1A1 rifles?
Me: Yes

And the conversation goes on about pricing on different condition levels..then he start talking about the L1A1s in British service. How the Brits had weapons with full auto, but it bended the barrels so they started using 3 round bursts.. used very much in Northern Ireland.

Me: There were never any L1A1 weapons made in full auto or 3 rb.
Customer: yes they did make
Me: NO!!

Link Posted: 9/27/2001 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I was listening to two guys in the airport talking about the difference between the M-14's .308 and the M-16's .223"

"Now, you'd shoot a VC with the M-14, the bullet'd go right through him and the fucker'd keep on fighting.  The M-16's bullet tumbles straight out of the barrel so when it hit, it'd tear them to pieces".

....A guy in a gunshop who wouldn't allow me to touch his rare Cugir SAR-2
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#3]
"The AR-15's are the best weapons ever created. They'll even out perform the Army's M-16's."
I had to ask why he thought the AR-15's are better than the M-16's while trying to keep from laughing out loud.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Te only really stupid things that I have heard was:
At a gun shop.  "In Nam we used to put the LAW rockets in backwards, and leave them, so when the VC used them, they would blow-up themselves"

At a gun show once I was listening to a dealer tell a guy that only dealers can make SBSs and no one else.  The customer wanted to know if he could make one himself and the dealer told him no but you can buy mine.
The customer left the table, I caught up with him and told him that he CAN do it himself and exactly how to do it...

BISHOP
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've haven't met a 'Seal' in a shop yet, but here's the best one I've experienced:

Shopowner "Whaddaya mean you need to order higher rings, you're holding the rifle wrong son, here"

(Hands me a rifle off the rack without checking it)

Shopowner "Now, hold the rifle and aim it right at my nose so I can tell you what you are doing wrong"

I had to decline _three_ times before he gave up on that and stormed into the back.
View Quote

Best one so far.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I got into an argument w/ a newbie at a local gunshop I frequent when he tried to dissuade the customer ahead of me from buying a Glock because "If you drop this gun loaded it'll go off by itself, sometimes full automatic."
Whatever, man, whatever...
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#8]
At the local gunshop......"I need a scope base for a model 7 remington".......Yeah, right here...remington 700......"No...a model 7"....yes, remington 700......"no model 7"....real like man you`re a stupid customer look.....sir, i have the base for a remington 700 right here  "buddy....it`s NOT a 700....it`s a model 7".....really confused now....uh i don`t think i can help you sir..............another time.....place is really busy.....young man comes in looking at handguns....."can i help you?"...yeah...what would be the best pistol to buy for protection?......"well what were you looking for?".....something that would be good for carry....."do you have a permit now"....well-no-but i`m getting one soon....."have any idea what you might like?"....well...I want some thing that won`t kill anybody, just maybe like take his knee out...you know..i`m not a killer....." well what caliber?"...well my dads a local lieutenant...so i can shoot his guns whenever i want, but i want to get my own so i can carry it around and protect myself with it.................true story....I almost laughed out loud in front of everybody......
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:06:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Match grade SKS's.  That is a good one.

"my sks has a national match grade barrel on it, and it will shoot 1" at 300 yards (or however far) with the special AP ammo you can't buy anymore."

Another guy at work:

"I reload for a friend's Barrett 50.  It shoots 3" at 1600 yards (verbatim).  I cut powder grains in half to get the EXACT powder charge."

"Thats very impressive:  What is the powder and charge?" Don't remember.

"What bullet?"  A boattail.

The odd thing (one odd thing) about this guy is that he knows alot about a prone Palma type match rifle he is having built:  6.5-284, Winchester action with a featherweight bolt from an old target rifle,  brand name barrel and twist, the hot bullet and powder charge, etc., etc.,        
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#10]
"Nobody needs an AR - they have no sporting purpose."

"You don't have to worry about gun control unless you have an assault rifle."
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 10:22:17 PM EDT
[#11]
"Sure it's a preban"
thank god I checked the sn first.  Let the buyer beware!

Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:33:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I was browsing a local gun store, and this guy was standing at the counter talking to the owner about hunting rifles. Then he notices a Bushmaster sitting in the rack, he asks how much and the owner replies "$750.00" The guy says "Hell, thats way too much, aint no practical use for this thing". I keep on browsing, and about 10 minutes later I hear the guy say to the owner "I wanna go ahead and special order that Desert Eagle 50 calibre,...in the gold finish". I cant remember the price, but I know it was well over a grand.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 3:48:41 AM EDT
[#13]
But----he had a PRACTICAL use for it...........
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 4:13:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I hear the guy say to the owner "I wanna go ahead and special order that Desert Eagle 50 calibre,...in the gold finish". I cant remember the price, but I know it was well over a grand.
View Quote

Hey... even pimps need protection....[:D]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 4:15:42 AM EDT
[#15]
"USA Mags are just as good as USGI Mags"...

[i]All your magazine are belong to me[/i],
M.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 5:06:22 AM EDT
[#16]
In a local pawn shop. guy has a remington pump 270 and its black.
"that's the teflon rust proof coating, it'll never rust on ya!"[:E]
ME: OH REALLY? [>:/]

It was black spray paint on a very much abused rifle. It was very hard not to laugh in his face. But I did leave without buying anything.[:D]

COZ
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

"Back when I was in the Seals......"  

View Quote

LOL

Didn't you know half of all veterans were Seals and Force recon?

Kiwi
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Have yet to hear the "I'm a SEAL" line. Although we do get the "I'm/was a cop" line.

The problem is most of the people I shoot with ARE cops, and the guy faking it shuts up real fast when all of a sudden he's asked a crapload of technical questions, or asked what department he's from.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#20]
"Post-ban and pre-ban has to do with the barrel length."  (best Monty Python voice- RUN AWAY)

"Yeah, I can only fire my revolver fast when I fan the hammer."  What kind of revolver is it? "A Ruger Blackhawk in 44. Mag."

Yeah, all them Seals now sell used SKSs and Norincos at gunshows.
Ice
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#21]
I was at Barnes and Nobels bookstore in Texas.... (Me)Excuse me where are you shotgun news located at?
(soccer mom) we don't sell that here.  
(me) well i have bought them here before
(S.M.) sorry i have worked here for 2 years and we dont sell them
(Me) fine  walked over to the newspaper stand, found the paper walked back over to herand said...man they got here just in time with these..and thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Have yet to hear the "I'm a SEAL" line.  
View Quote

that's because they all hang out at the Middletown, NY shows!
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#23]
A lady I work with found out I was into firearms, she said her husband was a navy seal from vietnam and he was into firearms. I'm thinking to myself "OH YEAH SURE HE'S A SEAL"!!
I met him one weekend and sure enough he IS a SEAL from nam. Very cool and laid back guy. Now I have a great shooting buddy.  So I guess I shouldn't be to weary of who's who.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#24]
SgtKiwi:
cyoung:"Back when I was in the Seals..."  
View Quote
Didn't you know half of all veterans were Seals and Force recon?
View Quote

Half?!?
It jumps to 99% by midnight every Friday in any VFW in the US.  [:)]
[i]Ranks raise too (Never seen so many Generals in one place).[/i]

Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Idaho-ar15,
This isn't a flame just explanation.
I hear that, but most of the guys that are don't wear it on their forehead or put it in as their conversation started.  My buddy will talk about it if asked, but he has a life after his tours and he has other interests.

The local gundealer is a former Ranger and he likes to talk guns, but I have never heard anything like, "When I was in the Rangers..."

Unfortunately, most of the guys at the gunshow saying this aren't and are making the real guys look bad.
Take care,
Ice
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ice
View Quote

If you've ever watched "Navy Seals: The Untold Stories" on TLC, you'd know that they preferred SKS's and AKs. Seriously though, have any of you ever seen this show? Whoever is in charge of firearms props needs to be tarred and feathered. When the show starts, the Seals are show carrying M16's and M4's with a sprinkling of folding stocked Mini-14's. As the show progresses, the Colt's disappear and are replaced by SKS's fitted with extended magazines. It's totally bizarre.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ice
View Quote

If you've ever watched "Navy Seals: The Untold Stories" on TLC, you'd know that they preferred SKS's and AKs. Seriously though, have any of you ever seen this show? Whoever is in charge of firearms props needs to be tarred and feathered. When the show starts, the Seals are show carrying M16's and M4's with a sprinkling of folding stocked Mini-14's. As the show progresses, the Colt's disappear and are replaced by SKS's fitted with extended magazines. It's totally bizarre.
View Quote

yeah, i saw that show, they also showed them walking around with timberland 3" high hiking boots! [whacko] i think they were just actors, impersonating SEALs, like in Middletown!
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#28]
The producer went to a gun show and hired a whole bunch of "real SEALs".
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 11:28:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I like the puffed-up, and over 'roided gunshow vendors who proudly proclaim their "SF-ness" and then you go out to their shop and there is a cert on the wall from an Engineering Batt.

...But give me shit because I was never in the military.

Sheesh!

D. www.azexarms.com
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 11:15:02 PM EDT
[#30]
btt....because this is funny!

medcop
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 12:47:12 AM EDT
[#31]
I agree.. The 'stupid people at the range' topics make me laugh and cringe too... and there are always new stories.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 3:44:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Well this wasn't at a gun show or gun store but in front of congress from a president of a company that sales to the 50BMGers.

Testimony of Jim Schmidt (president of Arizona Ammunition, and VP of the Fifty Caliber Shooter's Association) in the US House of Representatives, as reported in the Minority Staff Report ``Fifty Caliber Armor Piercing Military Ammunition in the United States Civilian Market'':

Minority Staff Report: ``Mr. Schmidt also gave testimony before Democratic members of the Government Reform Committee on May 3, 1999, that he could envision no sporting or other civilian use for incendiary rounds:''

Schmidt: ``I have no interest in them, no interest in SLAP rounds, incendiary rounds. They have a specific military and police application. We will make those on request for those agencies that have legitimate use for them. But in the civilian market, they're a novelty. They're hard on the guns and we tell them that when they want to buy them. Why would you want to shoot something that's on fire going down the barrel of a gun you just paid $6,000 for, and they quickly change their mind because they start realizing that it's not a real smart thing to do. I believe that. I say that from the heart. I don't know why you would want to shoot one of those.''

and there is more in the link
[url]http://www.house.gov/waxman/pdf/ammo.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:18:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Friend: You gotta try these .22 CB longs. They're as quiet as any pellet gun.

Go to local gun shop.....

Me: I hear that those .22 CB's are damn quiet.

Doof: Ya, they're silent, but these X-brand sub-sonic are the quietest fuckers around.

Me:Okay, I think that I'll browse for awhile.

Later when doof isn't there...

Me: Hey Little Ron, How're those CB's.

Little Ron: You wanna hear a CB? Goes over and picks up a bolt action .22 and proceeds to load a CB. Shoots the damn thing inside a garbage can.

Me:Cool, I'll take all you got. Oh, hey doof says that those X-brand sub-sonics are quieter.

Never seen doof again.

Alex
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:35:30 AM EDT
[#34]
What, no one here was aware of the "Gun Show/Gun Dealer" Training Module in BUDS? It's intended to give all former SEAL/EOD-types a civilian trade upon retirement as well as free recruiting for the NAV. If you guys weren't soooo short-sighted!! I am positive that the Army also has an equivalent. To successfully pass this in BUDS, you must weigh at least 300 pounds and have a large beer gut. There are at least 500 graduates of this at the big Tulsa Gun Show every spring and fall. You know, the Chris Farley-looking ninjas. They are a very secretive species when questioned about their specific SEAL Team or EOD Unit. Must be a carry over from their service days.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:46:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Not at a gun show/store, but in the Army, I ran into literally hundreds who had been fed and believed the very stupid lie that AK series weapons could chamber and fire 5.56mm ammo "in an emergency."

The best and greatest was a Marine who was on the same staff as our analytical section (and we were all more or less "experts" on enemy hardware, though we tended towards bigger stuff than small arms). After several arguments with the marine, we finally got him to bet $100 that one could get 5.56mm to fire in an AK. We surprised him the following Friday. We asked him to come along on a courier run to pick up some stuff. While en route, we diverted to the Sportsman's Club on post. We took him inside, and there was one of my buddies waiting on the firing line. We had a Chinese AK sporter, an M16 from the arms room, and a couple of boxes of 7.62X39 and 5.56mm. We told the marine to "make it happen." Several minutes and one very red face later, the marine stormed out and walked back to work (he wouldn't accept a ride). He never paid up, and later insisted that it was the AK-74 that could chamber and fire 5.56mm.

Idiots.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:29:09 AM EDT
[#36]
"The NRA is involved in a NWO conspiracy with the UN to take away our guns."  
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm working behind the counter at Treasure Island Armory in Fairfax, VA.  A customer walks in and wants to know about pistols because he wants to buy his first one and get a CCW.

Over the course of a week he comes in almost every day, and we literally spend hours with this guy, showing him every gun in the inventory, how it operates, how to strip it, features, calibers, etc.  He handles them all, dry firing, magazine changes, etc.  I can't think of a single gun in the shop that doesn't have this guy's fingerprints on it.  By the end of the week, it looks like he's leaning toward a SIG P239, but hasn't decided yet.

The next week he comes into the shop, carrying his brand new SIG P239 that he bought at a gun show because it was $5 cheaper than our price.  But he wants to buy a cleaning brush from us for $1.39.

A week later he storms into shop, absolutely fuming about the defective brush we sold him, claiming that it ruined the barrel by gouging out the inside.  He's also demanding that we immediately give him a brand new SIG P239 to replace it, or else he's going to call the sheriff and have us arrested!  And we better make it quick, because we're making him late to his first CCW Class, and he may make us pay for that, too!

I'm ready to start pistol whipping this buttwipe, but the owner steps up and asks what happened.  The customer strips the SIG and hands him the barrel.  "See?  Look what your brush did to my barrel!!!  It put those horrible grooves down the inside!!  The barrel is ruined!!!  I want another one right now!!!"

The owner calmly starts explaining that those grooves are called "rifling" and, in fact, they're supposed to be there.  The customer calls us "lying sons of bitches" and threatens to call the sheriff again.  So we start stripping every pistol in the shop, showing him that all the bores actually do have grooves in them just like his gun, but not until we get to about the 7th or 8th one does he finally start to believe us.

He says "Well, ok then," turns and walks out the door.

What a way to make a living.  But don't look in the phone book for Treasure Island Armory - it closed and went out of business.  Between the Sports Authority selling Remingtons for $30 less than the shop could buy them for, to gun show dealers with zero overhead who still charge near gun shop prices for guns and rape the customers with no follow up or customer service, we just couldn't make enough to keep the doors open.

Keep that in mind the next time you're buying from a gun show vendor or picking up ammo at Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#38]
What?! Hey, I resemble this remark.....

crash.

Quoted:
To successfully pass this in BUDS, you must weigh at least 300 pounds and have a large beer gut.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#39]
last week I was in my local gunshop when the guy behind the counter sells a +2 mag extension to a customer for his glock.  Not wanting to say anything embarrassing in front of the shop owner I waited till we were back in the firing range part and told the customer that it was illegal to install a +2 round extension on a post ban glock mag and to be careful with who he showed it to.
He went out and asked the shop owner about it and he told him that it was absolutely legal and not to worry about it.  I gave the poor guy the ATF website address so he could look it up for himself.  I felt kind of bad because I really like the gunshop owner (still do) and he's actually very knowledgable about firearms in general and especially handguns. He shoots IPSC and competes quit a bit.  (that or he spends a lot of money on fake trophies).

I just hope the hapless customer never gets ATF**ked for the misinformation.

crash.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Talking to veterans or wanna-bes you have to wonder who were the cooks, mechanics & typists.

My writing prof in college was in Demolition, but when his CO found out he could type a 160 wpm, he was re-assigned where he was more valuable. A nice way to spend the rest of your tour.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Many years ago I was working in a store, its a week before deer season. Guy comes in, says  he is going deer hunting, and needs some deer bullets. We ask him what kind he needs and he replies "deer bullets". What caliber did you need sir? " you know, deer bullets". we asked him if he needed 30-30, .270. 30-06, and he said" whatever you got, whatever is handy, whatever will work." Handed him a box of 30-30, never saw him again.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top