Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2001 7:16:13 AM EDT
After hearing about what was going on last week at some Wal-Marts, I sent them the following letter:

Dear Wal-Mart,

I am writing to you as a concerned (and regular) customer.  I am a sportsman and firearms enthusiast, and as such I frequent many firearms related internet message boards.  I want to let Wal-Mart know that you have been getting A LOT of VERY BAD press in the last few days.

It seems that in the wake of the terrible events in NYC and at the Pentagon some of your stores have made the irresponsible decision to ban the sale of firearms and ammunition.  As far as I can tell this is not a company-wide policy (thank goodness!), since there are reports that some Wal-Mart stores are continuing to stock and sell the items in question.  Nevertheless, the actions of a few (stores) are creating fast-moving horror stories.

I simply want to alert you to the fact that this is happening and is generating an enormous amount of bad press for you.  I must say, many in the sporting community had viewed Wal-Mart VERY POSITIVELY in comparison to K-Mart and other stores which have caved those who seek to erode our Second Amendment rights.  But Wal-Mart's "good reputation" is now in serious danger.

I have always been a loyal Wal-Mart customer and most of my associates have been as well.  I may only buy $50 of ammo a year in Wal-Mart, but I spend up to several thousands of $$ on other things, as do many other sportsman.  If I EVER discover that my local Wal-Mart (Augusta, ME) or any other one that I shop in bans ammo sales, I will never drop another cent in a Wal-Mart again.  I want to let you know that unfortunately there are a significant number of individuals who have already had to make this decision.

I just wanted to let you know, but it would be my advice to "reign in" these rogue policy-making stores and perhaps release a "pro-ammo" statement to reassure your loyal customers.

Thank you for your time.  If possible, a short response indicating that this letter made it to the proper dept. would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Concerned Customer

View Quote

And here is Walmart's response:

Thank you for your message.

There was no corporate directive instructing stores to remove guns and
ammunition from their shelves. Individual decisions to remove guns and/or
ammunition were made by executives as a direct result of the proximity of
certain stores to the terrorist sites or to military bases, etc.  There have
been press releases regarding this issue by our Public Relations department,
but we have not yet received a copy at this web site.   Please be assured
Wal-Mart plans to continue to sell guns and ammunition.  We appreciate your
concern and patronage.
Sincerely,
Dee
Customer Relations

I'm not really sure what to make of it, positive or negative, but thought some of you folks may be interested.

Penguin
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 7:24:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a CYA leter to me.... we will stop selling ammo/firearms where we want to but make it look like its for the children near the military bases and terorist sites???¿¿¿ WTF
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 7:45:47 AM EDT
[#2]
The letter is typical of today's corporate double talk.  You don't know anymore than before you read their response.  These guys talk alot, but they have nothing to say.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 7:49:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I bet the box cutter sales jumped up 400%. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Just a first name "Dee"? That sure is a CYA message because then blame can't be placed on anyone if it isn't truthful.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I am not as cynical as most of you all.  Basically, she sent what I wanted: a confirmation that someone got my letter.  She stated that it was not a company-wide policy, which we knew.  She also stated Wal-mart will continue selling this stuff, which is a lot more then I can say for some of the other chain stores these days.  Gotta give them some credit.

I am disappointed that "Dee" and the corporate office are not condemning the "executives" who cut off the guns and ammo in certain stores, but apparently they want to give their stores that kind of leeway.  Oh well, at least they know some customers are upset about it.

Personally, until I see anti-gun crap going on at my Wal-Mart I will continue to give them my business.  Besides, they are my only source for my favorite kind of beer!

Penguin
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep shopping at Wal-Mart, it does wonders for my stock options!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes, we wouldn't want 19 dead terrorists coming back from the dead and purchasing Wal-Mart guns and ammo...
View Quote

My thoughts exactly. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted: I am not as cynical as most of you all.  Basically, she sent what I wanted: a confirmation that someone got my letter.  She stated that it was not a company-wide policy, which we knew.  She also stated Wal-mart will continue selling this stuff, which is a lot more then I can say for some of the other chain stores these days.  Gotta give them some credit.

I am disappointed that "Dee" and the corporate office are not condemning the "executives" who cut off the guns and ammo in certain stores, but apparently they want to give their stores that kind of leeway.  Oh well, at least they know some customers are upset about it.

Personally, until I see anti-gun crap going on at my Wal-Mart I will continue to give them my business.  Besides, they are my only source for my favorite kind of beer!

Penguin
View Quote

Would that be Duff beer?

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/Gif/homercrawl.gif[/img][img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/FoodBeer.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I have always been a loyal Wal-Mart customer
View Quote

I'm sorry.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#10]
WTF is Dee running for congress or the senate with all the nebulous statement.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Both my Walmarts still sell guns and ammo and will order pistols from Lipsey inc.
GG
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 6:48:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Would that be Duff beer?

View Quote

Warsteiner.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Your Walmart carries WARSTEINER!?  Darn.  No luck at my particular "super center" (or anywhere around here for that matter).  HyVee carries Warsteiner in "mini-kegs" but those aren't that convenient.  Its popular over in Germany, and I think they know their beers.  Oh, well...

Viper Out
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Your Walmart carries WARSTEINER!?  Darn.  No luck at my particular "super center" (or anywhere around here for that matter).  HyVee carries Warsteiner in "mini-kegs" but those aren't that convenient.  Its popular over in Germany, and I think they know their beers.  Oh, well...

Viper Out
View Quote

Yes, my Wal-Mart carries Warsteiner 12pks for $10.99, warm or cold.  The ONLY other place in the area which has it is Sam's Club, which is right next door and is of course a Wal-Mart operation.  Sam's only has the mini-kegs too.

Warsteiner is Germany's equivalent of our Budweiser- it is popular, cheap, and everywhere.  When I lived in Europe I found that I enjoyed the taste of the local (German/Austrian) beers much, much more than the American/Canadian beers I had been used to.  Warsteiner was far from the best, but it is the only thing I can get here that reminds me of those fantastic beverages.  Thus, it is my favorite.  To be honest, it really is the only reason I go in the Wal-Mart; I just end up buying other stuff since I am already there.

Penguin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top