User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2001 4:15:38 PM EDT
[url]http://jobFORMs.faa.gov/CIVIL_AVIATION_SECURITY.HTM[/url]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#2]
... I figured a lot of us would, but I'm too old (37 max) and they don't wanna pay either.
Curious that you need to maintain a TOP SECRET clearance; why?

Go for it!
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The age requirement is unfortunate, but there may be cases where you need to open a can of whoop ass on a couple of guys and all things being equal, it's far better to have a 25 year-old kicking butt as opposed to a 45 year-old. I'm pushing 40 myself and I can certainly feel the difference.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Top Secret clearances are required probably because you would have access to restricted information concerning terrorists and so forth. Some of this information may expose undercover agents of government agencies.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Better hurry, it's been reported that the government has already been swamped with applicants.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#6]
They pay they list is without the 25% Law Enforcement Avail. Pay. So figure the starting is 45,000 plus all the way to over 100,000 with time and experience. Not to mention the training. They are one of the best trained fed units when it comes to CQB. No rusty gunners here. If you like flying and a Patriotic job, hell you can't go wrong. The current guys are working a 4 on 3 off schedule. Not too shabby.....
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I filled out that long ass app and will pop it in the mail tomorrow.  I figure if they're willing to pay me enough, it could be interesting.  Not exactly looking for a change of career, but my salary requirements are probably high enough that they won't call. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
... I figured a lot of us would, but I'm too old (37 max) and they don't wanna pay either.

Go for it!
View Quote

Isn't it interesting that the Feds can legally discriminate based on age.

Mattja, there are a lot of Federal jobs that don't require kicking butt that have the same age requirement.  It just ain't fair!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Go for it!
View Quote

They probably require the TS clearance to ensure that no scumbags can lie or cheat their way into this position. Not a bad idea considering that these guys will be the only armed people on the plane.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I was hangin' right in there 'till the normal color vision thing.  Damn pinks and greens.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:49:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go for it!
View Quote

Isn't it interesting that the Feds can legally discriminate based on age.

Mattja, there are a lot of Federal jobs that don't require kicking butt that have the same age requirement.  It just ain't fair!!
View Quote

Really? Well than that is BS then, isn't it? Leave it to the Feds to not practice what they preach (and require from private companies).
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was hangin' right in there 'till the normal color vision thing.  Damn pinks and greens.
View Quote

... I didn't see that. Not only am I an old fart but I'm blind too!
Guess I'll have to stick to engineering.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Not just BS, but a BA, Bachelor of Arts too...

C'mon, how many x-mil. boys with more experience than student-loans can qualify now...
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 7:48:49 AM EDT
[#14]
http://www.channel2000.com/sh/news/stories/nat-news-97352620010926-070927.html

FAA Swamped With Air-Marshal Resumes
Lawmakers Work To Improve Air Security
Posted: 8:49 a.m. EDT September 26, 2001

EGG HARBOR TOWNSHIP, New Jersey -- There's apparently no shortage of interest in the federal air marshal program.

A New Jersey newspaper reported Wednesday that the Federal Aviation Administration has received more than 1,000 resumes since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on New York and Washington.

The paper said that it is not known how many air marshals will be hired. And the FAA won't comment on the report or provide details about the program.

Congress is now working on a $3 billion airline security package that calls for the expansion of the air marshal program.

Lawmakers Ponder Ways To Improve Air Security
Congress is thinking about putting armed marshals on the nation's jetliners to try to convince Americans it's safe to fly.

Lawmakers are also talking about ways to improve the security of the cockpit door, and there's also talk of federalizing the security force at airports. One idea some lawmakers don't like comes from the head of the pilots union. Duane Woerth proposed letting pilots carry firearms in the cockpit. They would use bullets that wouldn't be able to pierce the plane's fuselage.

In addition, both the pilot and flight attendants unions are calling for new limits on carry-on luggage.

Click here for the Federal Air Marshals job posting.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not just BS, but a BA, Bachelor of Arts too...

C'mon, how many x-mil. boys with more experience than student-loans can qualify now...
View Quote

It said "OR" Bachelor's not "AND" Bachelor's. There is no college degree requirement, however I believe the starting pay is higher if you have a Bachelor's degree.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Crap!

I am starting to hate being "old"

I'll be 45 my next birthday.... hardly 37.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top