Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2001 8:26:37 AM EDT
AR15.com is a damn good site and a large one. It's success is a credit to the staff and the overwhelming enthusiasm of the members.
But at times it becomes exasperating trying to keep up with reading and reply to multiple threads relating to the same topic. I am not referring to a completely different perspective on an issue that warrants it's own thread. I understand to that there are times that a topic heading is worded in such a manner that other members may not realize they are starting a topic already in progress.
But there are other times, that seem all too frequent, when someone will log on the site and, without bothering to see if the topic is already being discussed, will begin a new thread mirroring what is already in progress. (It is not unlike being a classroom full of children screaming for attention so that they may be praised and credited with bringing the news to the masses.)
This does nothing more than create confusion, force people whom are passionate about the topic to reply repeatedly to the same topic with multiple replies that are all bascially similiar and use bandwidth that cost money for no reason.
This is partially the fault of the staff for not locking threads that are no more than repeats of existing threads already in progress. But that is secondary to the members responsibility of simply checking to see if the topic is in progress before spounting off to say, "[i]Look at me. I've got news!'[/i] The staff is already over worked and should not have to moderate common sense.

The second issue is too many members do not bother to read previous replies to a topic. It is common to read a member repeat exactly what has already been said by one of more members in the same thread prior to their posting. This, I'm sure, is because some people read the opening post and hit reply, without bothering to read the replies below the initial post in the topic. This deprives the member of possibly learning something from a member that posted before them but it also creates an enviroment where some members then feel a need to start a new topic so people will read their words.

None of us should be so immature that we can not exercise a little patience in reading what is going on and not jumping in simply wanting to be the kid with the latest info.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 8:30:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Mom? Is that you?
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes M, yes it is. Now go clean your room and if you are looking for those filthy magazines you had hidden under your mattress I threw them out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Mom? Is that you?
View Quote

HAHAHA
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#4]
One of those "DAMMIT, I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE!" days, huh?

I know the feeling...
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Let me see if I get this right-

You're looking for a moderator or other "elected entity that supposedly represents the population" to fix your problem rather than holding a person responsible for their actions or doing something to fix the problem yourself?  I hope you see what I'm getting at....

Now go wash my underwear so I have something to wear to school on Monday!!!

Black Fox
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I never do that Gunslinger. I always read the replies, all of them. Honest.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You're looking for a moderator or other "elected entity that supposedly represents the population" to fix your problem rather than holding a person responsible for their actions or doing something to fix the problem yourself?  I hope you see what I'm getting at....

Black Fox
View Quote

You need to go back and read the post again Black Fox because you do not have it right.
I believe what I said was the members should take the responsibility to read what is already being discussed before starting another thread on the same topic.
I had assumed that most people that post here can read as well as type so they could check to see if a topic was on going before starting a new thread. I guess in your case I will have to rethink that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 9/21/2001 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad to see you're so easy, gunslinger :)
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I just wanted to add my two cents, I think everyone should read all the current posts, so that they don't duplicate what is already posted, jsut because they have some news (that everyone else with a TV has), and Ithink that everyone shoudl read the replies so as not to post duplicate arguments (that really pisses me off, people with opinions and all).

Ok, now what was this topic about?
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I'm guilty of posting a topic that has been posted...AT TEH SAME TIME. Take last nights National Address. As SOON as it was over, I came back, refreshed page one, and typed a rant about Hillary and Chuckie... As did another member.
Just because there are several threads about one topic doesn't mean that we just want our topic th be the main one, sometimes people are submitting the same topic at the same time....

[smoke]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Some of y'all are jus' messin' with me ain't ya?[:D]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
AR15.com is a damn good site and a large one. It's success is a credit to the staff and the overwhelming enthusiasm of the members.
But at times it becomes exasperating trying to keep up with reading and reply to multiple threads relating to the same topic. I am not referring to a completely different perspective on an issue that warrants it's own thread. I understand to that there are times that a topic heading is worded in such a manner that other members may not realize they are starting a topic already in progress.
But there are other times, that seem all too frequent, when someone will log on the site and, without bothering to see if the topic is already being discussed, will begin a new thread mirroring what is already in progress. (It is not unlike being a classroom full of children screaming for attention so that they may be praised and credited with bringing the news to the masses.)
This does nothing more than create confusion, force people whom are passionate about the topic to reply repeatedly to the same topic with multiple replies that are all bascially similiar and use bandwidth that cost money for no reason.
This is partially the fault of the staff for not locking threads that are no more than repeats of existing threads already in progress. But that is secondary to the members responsibility of simply checking to see if the topic is in progress before spounting off to say, "[i]Look at me. I've got news!'[/i] The staff is already over worked and should not have to moderate common sense.

The second issue is too many members do not bother to read previous replies to a topic. It is common to read a member repeat exactly what has already been said by one of more members in the same thread prior to their posting. This, I'm sure, is because some people read the opening post and hit reply, without bothering to read the replies below the initial post in the topic. This deprives the member of possibly learning something from a member that posted before them but it also creates an enviroment where some members then feel a need to start a new topic so people will read their words.

None of us should be so immature that we can not exercise a little patience in reading what is going on and not jumping in simply wanting to be the kid with the latest info.
View Quote

Did you get your ass beat alot in school?  
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#17]
[b]
Quoted:

View Quote
[/b]

Thanks CQMGR, after this week I really needed the laugh!

Haaaa Hooo [:D]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why? Are you reaching out for someone to share your bad childhood experiences with?
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Black Fox
View Quote

You need to go back and read the post again Black Fox because you do not have it right.
I believe what I said was the members should take the responsibility to read what is already being discussed before starting another thread on the same topic.
I had assumed that most people that post here can read as well as type so they could check to see if a topic was on going before starting a new thread. I guess in your case I will have to rethink that.

- Robbie

*runs and hides from Gunslinger*
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I just scared the shit out of the dog from laughing so loud and the wife yelled at my for waking her up.
Thanks Robbie. You just for my ass in trouble.[:D]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 11:21:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I never do that Gunslinger. I always read the replies, all of them. Honest
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 11:50:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 11:52:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Seriously, gunslinger, good point, but not much that can be done about it. Human nature and all...
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 7:06:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Why? Are you reaching out for someone to share your bad childhood experiences with?
View Quote

No, I remember kicking some kids ass over an anal retentive stance.  Like the kid who had to have his crust cut off his sandwich or he could not eat.  Was that you?  How do you handle watching TV if the same thing is on two different channels?
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 7:20:16 AM EDT
[#26]
What's this thread about, anyways?
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 7:20:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 7:46:18 AM EDT
[#28]
QCMGR, you seem to be taking this far too personally. Perhaps you should seek professional help with these "issues" you seem to have.
But, nonetheless, you have convinced and frightened me. You were obviously a badass on your playground (one can only imagine the copious amounts of milk money income you must have collected in your youth) and now have risen to being a badass behind a keyboard. I am in such awe of your abilities as a tough guy that I simply have to ask.......you were one of them there Navy CEELS in Vietnam weren't ya?
Hide your mothers and sisters boys, QCMGR is lookin' to open a can of whoop ass on someone and it ain't gonna be pretty when he is through.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
QCMGR, you seem to be taking this far too personally. Perhaps you should seek professional help with these "issues" you seem to have.
But, nonetheless, you have convinced and frightened me. You were obviously a badass on your playground (one can only imagine the copious amounts of milk money income you must have collected in your youth) and now have risen to being a badass behind a keyboard. I am in such awe of your abilities as a tough guy that I simply have to ask.......you were one of them there Navy CEELS in Vietnam weren't ya?
Hide your mothers and sisters boys, QCMGR is lookin' to open a can of whoop ass on someone and it ain't gonna be pretty when he is through.
View Quote

Gunslinger...Im just joking!  Its all fun?  You have a good point.  I never said you didn't.  You got to admit, that it is pretty anal?  People are people.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 8:26:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Aw shucks Q, may I call you Q? I was just funnin' with you to. I never really thought you beat up all the school children you claimed to.[:D]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#31]
I think that everyone should try to police their own threads.  I try read all of the replies.  This board is quite active board.  If I post a thread and it is a dup, and there are no replies from other people, I usually delete to save disk space.  But I feel that the moderators shouldn't lock a thread just because there is a dup somewhere, because it would take away from the spontaneous of the board.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Gunslinger,

Is there anything else you want? I would have thought you would have wished for world peace or something else on a grand scale since you are not going to get what you want anyway.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Aw shucks Q, may I call you Q? I was just funnin' with you to. I never really thought you beat up all the school children you claimed to.[:D]
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Gunslinger,.......... since you are not going to get what you want anyway.
View Quote

You are abolutely correct sir. I even knew at the time I posted that it was asking too much. Even though I knew that the members of many (most) other gun boards possessed the maturity to exercise a certain degree of responsibility and restraint I knew there would be those, such as yourself, that could not see the wisdom in it. Foolish I know. But one must strive to make improvements where one can.

Q, I thought we were just playin' there but I've got to admit for a minute you had me goin'.[;)]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 10:31:38 AM EDT
[#35]

(sorry, couldn't find the "add one post to your count thread".  Thought this would do) [:D]

Kiwi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top