Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2007 1:29:46 PM EDT
ok. its cold here up in Minnesota, we just got a decent amount of snow and i would LOVE to use my 2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660 to plow my driveway rather than shovel it...

i forgot to put anything in the gas tank to stabilize the gas, like heat or acetone...

ive got the gas line turned on, a charger on the battery, tried starting fluid, checked to see if the plug has spark and it does, and i just now put HEAT in the tank

i think i had the exact same problem years ago with a Yamaha Big Bear, the dealership said the "needle and seat" was fubar'ed and they replaced it under warrenty.

well, my grizzly is out of warrenty and have no idea where the needle and seat is on this..

any help or tips? id like to park it in a friends garage, but i need to GET it there to warm it up
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#1]
What does it do?
does it turn over (crank) but not start?)
does it not turn over?

we need more details.
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#2]
You might throw a heavy blanket over it, and then prop it up and add a space heater,
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 1:32:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Save your self alot of grief and put some Stabil in it with good fuel and start it once a week, once every two weeks at the least and let it run for 20 min whether you ride it or not.

Keeps the battery charged and the jets from getting gummed up.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#4]
The carb is probably clogged from sitting...the needle and seat again.
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What does it do?
does it not turn over?

we need more details.

sorry i forgot-

it turns over very good...  every once in a great while pops / fires once, and even a few times i had it running for 6-7 seconds but probably just on starting fluid. i dont think its been sitting for more than a month... maybe 5-6 weeks

i tried putting a hair dryer on the carb but its not kicking out enough heat cause its pretty cold out... i like the space heater idea, i have an electric one...

the carb is crammed in theres so bad... i dont know how ill get it out of there and if i do, does the needle and seat need to be replaced or just cleaned????
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Most four wheelers have a block heater, plug it in wait a coule hours and ride.
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Most motorcycles (dunno about ATV's, but I'd bet they are similar) have a vacuum lead on the fuel tank
Meaning they must get vacuum to feed the carb.  So it fires once or twice, but doesn't pull the vacuum to continue pulling fuel
get it warm so it has less omph to pull, some starting fluid (remember to only spray while cranking) and see if you can get teh ice out of the lines

gas doesn't go bad instantly it shouldn't be totally clogged, it's just got to be loved and get warm and get some ice out of the way somewhere.
Are you giving it throttle and holding it open some?  It's not going to want to idle at all?
choke?  (I know, just asking)
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Stupid question, but does it have a priming bulb? My Rubicon has a little priming pump off the carb for cold weather - if yours does press that prior to starting to get some gas.
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What does it do?
does it not turn over?

we need more details.

sorry i forgot-

it turns over very good...  every once in a great while pops / fires once, and even a few times i had it running for 6-7 seconds but probably just on starting fluid. i dont think its been sitting for more than a month... maybe 5-6 weeks

i tried putting a hair dryer on the carb but its not kicking out enough heat cause its pretty cold out... i like the space heater idea, i have an electric one...

the carb is crammed in theres so bad... i dont know how ill get it out of there and if i do, does the needle and seat need to be replaced or just cleaned????

Little starting fluid = good
Too much starting fluid =  really, really bad

Don't overdue the starting fluid or you will have much bigger problems!
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 1:44:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey fellow Grizzly 660 owner, 2002 model year here.
Try choke at full, throtle it between half and full.
Mine started and its 6 degrees here West of Rochester.
I was suprised it started after sitting a month...
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#11]
My Polaris doesn't like the cold weather either and doesn't shift very well in the cold either.

But we are pretty good about putting the Stabil in. Maybe you could add it now, and shake it up?
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
Most four wheelers have a block heater, plug it in wait a coule hours and ride.

HUH?
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Yamaha Big Bear from 1996, and it has never liked starting in the cold.    Period.  I've had to change the battery several times, and if it weren't for the PITA pull-start back up, I would have been walking on more than one occasion,  Of course, this four wheeler isn't used that much, and gets most of its work in during deer season.  It still has the original tires, which appear will dry rot off before they go bald.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#14]
OP,
You have varnish in the carb. Drain the gas and the fuel bowl if it has a drain. Pour about 4 or 5 ounces of carb cleaner into the tank. Remove the plug wire and give it a half dozen pulls to get the cleaner into the carb.  Let it sit for half an hour. Add fresh gas, reconnect the plug. It should start now.
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I use propane instead of starting fluid.  Use a regular torch except don't light it.  Propane has higher octane rating than ether and is better on high compression engines.
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
OP,
You have varnish in the carb. Drain the gas and the fuel bowl if it has a drain. Pour about 4 or 5 ounces of carb cleaner into the tank. Remove the plug wire and give it a half dozen pulls to get the cleaner into the carb.  Let it sit for half an hour. Add fresh gas, reconnect the plug. It should start now.

Also spray out the carb.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#17]
everytime i pull the plug, put some starting fluid directly into the cylinder through the plug hole, put the plug back in, itll fire and run for a few seconds... then its back to just cranking without firing...

theres no primer pump or "Block heater"

im getting so pissed off and its almost dark out. if i had a garage i wouldnt have this problem
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#18]
My 300EX does this all the time, as it sits for months between starts.  I drain the carb, then open the fuel petcock while still draining to make sure and flush the bowl, then close drain and let bowl fill with new fuel.  Once that is done it usually starts right up.  I also always make sure to add Stabil to all fuel tanks, that may sit for a week or more.  Lawnmower, both ATVs, weed eaters, generators, etc.  Real cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#19]
height=8
Quoted:

DID YOU TRY THIS?
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DID YOU TRY THIS?

back fires and blows a flame into the air filter compartment when i do this...
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#21]
well the four wheeler wins. short of dousing it with gas and throwing a match im pretty fed up. id tow it to the fucking dealership and trade it in, but im trying to buy a house and taking on a 4 wheeler payment wont help that

IF i manage to tow it to a garage thats heated and leave it in there for a while, do i at least have a 50 % chance itll warm up enough to clean itself out and run? or am i screwed and need to tear apart a carb i know nothing about?
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
well the four wheeler wins. short of dousing it with gas and throwing a match im pretty fed up. id tow it to the fucking dealership and trade it in, but im trying to buy a house and taking on a 4 wheeler payment wont help that

IF i manage to tow it to a garage thats heated and leave it in there for a while, do i at least have a 50 % chance itll warm up enough to clean itself out and run? or am i screwed and need to tear apart a carb i know nothing about?

Cover it with two tarps and heat it with an electric space heater.  Then use the propane trick in the airbox.
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#23]
04 grizzly 660 owner here. I did the very thing you did. Left it in the cold for a month with out draining the carb. The good news is it is just the needle valve on the carbs float bowl. Bad news is you have to take off the entire carb to get to it. Mine showed all the same symptoms, back fire, cough, stutter, and choke. I could not figure it out. Pulled the carb cleaned it up, put it back on, and it fired right up. If you have any type of mechanical ability, it will be a 2 hour project. If you are not comfortable taking a carb apart bring it to a dealer to fix it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Forgot to add, you can not add anything to the tank to try and clean it. the needle is stuck closed. The only way you are going to get to it, is by taking it apart.

If you do take it apart, watch out for the little brass retainer that hold the throttle cable on, I lost mine twice. If you need any help IM me, and I will help as best I can.
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Disconnect fuel line and drain tank.  (it is too late to add the stabil).  Allow the tube to the carb to drain out also.  Crank the engine until you are reasonably sure the carb is dry.  Remove plug and spray a good quantity of carb cleaner into the fuel tube going to carb.  Crank a bit, spray again, crank and let it sit a few minutes.  Spray once more and crank.  Reinstall plug, fuel line and refuel.  Add a little octane boost (but not much)  Crank it up and ride away.  

Also, are you sure it even has a carb?  may have injectors....Same procedure though...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top