Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2001 1:58:28 PM EDT
Why don't they make the cockpit doors inside commercial airliners like a friggin' vault door?

I understand that that would be of no use in the event a bomb was on the plane, but wouldn't it make sense for a variety of reasons to isolate the people who fly the plane from the rest of the people on board?

I realize looking back is easy, but really, what's the purpose of using cardboard-like material to separate the flight crew from the randoms that fly in their jets?

Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Heard that same question asked during an interview on television today, response was that the doors have always been as they are in order to extricate the crew if needed, but that changes were under study including by Boeing Aircraft.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I find crew extrication a very, very weak defense for not having vault like doors on the cabin.

If a crew needs to be extricated access to the cabin area can be gained from any point outside of the cabin itself.

Afterall, we are talking aluminum and other light alloys here people.  Nothing that cannot be cut apart or sawed through.

The crews are not more portected because of $ that special interest groups want spent elsewhere and the fact that the FAA and other burecrats have their heads up their collective asses.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why don't they make the cockpit doors inside commercial airliners like a friggin' vault door?
View Quote

Vault doors are very heavy.  That's relevant when it comes to aircraft.  However, it would be practical to have a door that is more secure than a screen door.  However, that solution would help in cases of air rage where someone is upset and wants to cause havoc.  Against determined attackers, very little would hold up.  Especially since they will have time and resources to plan ahead to be able to defeat the door.  The best idea is to *encourage* responsible people to carry their weapons when flying.  It's probably too much to ask to have additional training available for CCW holders who would like to carry on a plane.  However, military and law enforcement personnel are trained in the use of their weapons and could also be trained in the dangers of firing a weapon in a pressurized plane.  However, considering this recent escalation in terrorist actions, I think it's fair to assume that lethal force will be justified in all hijackings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top