Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2006 7:58:11 AM EDT
A C-2A(R) Reprocured Greyhound COD of VRC-30, DET-5 trapping on board the USS Kitty Hawk during an in-port period in Perth, Western Australia this past summer.

Link Posted: 9/23/2006 8:10:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you take that?  That almost looks like the perspective of the LSO.  Too cool!  
Link Posted: 9/23/2006 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Those suck to ride on, if you tighten your seatbelt to tight.  Because you cant get release it in flight very easily.
Link Posted: 9/23/2006 8:17:04 AM EDT
[#3]
You gotta love how they put the passengers between the cockpit and the cargo, facing backwards. Dad said during the trap that he thought for an instant the cargo was going to splat him against the bulkhead.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/23/2006 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#4]
The passengers normaly sit in the rear of the aircraft facing aft.
The space between the cockpit and the passengers is taken up by "the cage", a removable metal framework where the Loadmaster and Crewchief load the loose items into.

The heavy items that can be strapped or chained to the deck are placed within the cargo compartment due to weight and balance requirements and restrictions.

Sometimes they go in front of the passengers, sometimes they go to the rear.

There is a Naval Safety Center video that is from the PLATT camera showing a C-1 Trader crashing after a catapult launch.

It crashed due to cargo not being properly secured inside of its shipping container.

The C-1 crew was tasked with getting a shipset generator off the ship and to a SIMA yard for repair.

The C-1 refused to take the generator because they could not safely secure it to the deck.

They requested that a shipping box be built so the generator would be shored up and secured inside of the box, so the box could be secured to the deck.

The supply guys didn't understand the request (or ignored it) and just built a box, placed the generator loose inside and closed the box up.

The C-1 crew placed it in the front of the cargo compartment (weight and balance) and secured it to the deck, not knowing that the generator was loose inside of the box.

Right after the cat stroke the generator broke loose from the box and went all the way aft inside of the C-1.

This caused the C-1 to become "really" out of balance (and probably killed everyone between it and the tail of the C-1 when it went aft) causing the C-1 to violently pitch nose up.

The C-1 stalled (you can tell that the pilot was trying his hardest to fly the aircraft), then violently pitched nose over / nose down and impacted the water.

The nose over / nose down caused the generator to move from the tail to the nose of the aircraft, probably killing the pilots and crew before the C-1 impacted the water.

Link Posted: 9/23/2006 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Sad, preventable accident...  My one and only cat shot off an aircraft carrier was on a COD.  I had spent the previous two months as an Army LNO aboard the Enterprise (CVN-65) and was headed back to land.  Guess I was lucky there was no unsecured cargo on board - only pax...
Link Posted: 9/23/2006 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#6]
'Reprocured'? As in new-build, or refurbed from an older aircraft?
Link Posted: 9/23/2006 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Been there, done that, you can keep the T-Shirt.

Helo me in and off next time.

Link Posted: 9/23/2006 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Been there, done that, you can keep the T-Shirt.

Helo me in and off next time.

You call, we haul.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2006 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
'Reprocured'? As in new-build, or refurbed from an older aircraft?

Navy Fact File
www.navy.mil/navydata/fact_display.asp?cid=1100&tid=100&ct=1
Link Posted: 9/23/2006 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I personally loaded and unloaded that particular aircraft many, many times from 1998-2000. I was ATO on the Kitty Hawk.
Usual configuration was 6 rows of 4 seats, for a total of 22 passengers plus 2 loadmasters. This configuration leaves about 4 feet of cargo space for baggage, plus some mail. 7 rows is "max-pax", but leaves no room for baggage. Of course, this could vary depending on what the COD is bringing out to the ship.
I unloaded 950,000 lbs of cargo, 350,000 lbs of mail, and 4500 people on and off the ship in two years.
Link Posted: 9/23/2006 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#11]
So, in essence; the C-2 Greyhound is nothing more than a stripped down E-2C Hawkeye (minus radome and E/W equipment), modified for shore/ship - ship/shore cargo duties.

Makes sense; as for the generator accident; that was definitely preventable.
Link Posted: 9/23/2006 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#12]
They need to make some gunship versions for loitering fire support for Marines.

Marines have been envious of USAF AC-130's for years.
Link Posted: 9/23/2006 11:11:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So, in essence; the C-2 Greyhound is nothing more than a stripped down E-2C Hawkeye (minus radome and E/W equipment), modified for shore/ship - ship/shore cargo duties.

Same wing and engines, different fuselage and tail.
Link Posted: 9/23/2006 11:14:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The USMC has plenty of C130's to convert. Why should they spend the money when the Air Force is for hire?

Then again, maybe the USMC would choose to fly them in daylight. Unlike the AF who are too chicken shit.
Link Posted: 9/23/2006 11:17:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I was thinking of it being carrier capible, more so than have -130 airframes to work with.
Link Posted: 9/23/2006 11:21:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Mail's here.
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 2:56:00 AM EDT
[#17]
98 more traps and I'm a Centurion baby!
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Can you explain that to this ex-ground pounder, please?  
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 7:29:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The USMC has plenty of C130's to convert. Why should they spend the money when the Air Force is for hire?

Then again, maybe the USMC would choose to fly them in daylight. Unlike the AF who are too chicken shit.
Pull your head out of your ass.
The AC-130 dosen't fly in the day because it's a low slow flying target in the day and it's not a carrier aircraft.
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He has two traps. Another 98 and he'd have 100.
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 8:39:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Sir, just in case the ex-ground pounder doesn't know:  a trap is an arrested landing, ie:  the tail hook of the landing aircraft grabs onto one of three or four cables stretched across the landing area of the flight deck which actuates an accumulator charged hydraulic engine causing the aircraft to slow and come to a stop.

I don't remember how many times I've been a passenger on a C2 landing or taking a catapult launch from one of our carriers, I've flown on and off a carrier in an SH3, CH-46, C1, or a C2 many times.  Every time I flew off the ship in a C1 it was always a deck launch, ie:  the plane taxied to the rear of the flight deck, turned around and accelerated forward launching at the angle across the water brake area of the waist cats. I don't remember if CIs had NGL tow bars or not but in my experience cat launch of a C1 was very unusual.   7zero1, out.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never  ever expected anyone to call Spectre crews chicken shit. An AC-130 was lost during Desert Storm in daylight to a SA-16 losing all 14 crew members on board. An AC-130 stayed on station during daylight attempting to cover the rescue operation of Neil Roberts during Operation Anaconda in Afganistan.
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He has two traps. Another 98 and he'd have 100.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 9:27:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Sir, just in case the ex-ground pounder doesn't know:  a trap is an arrested landing, ie:  the tail hook of the landing aircraft grabs onto one of three or four cables stretched across the landing area of the flight deck which actuates an accumulator charged hydraulic engine causing the aircraft to slow and come to a stop.

I don't remember how many times I've been a passenger on a C2 landing or taking a catapult launch from one of our carriers, I've flown on and off a carrier in an SH3, CH-46, C1, or a C2 many times.  Every time I flew off the ship in a C1 it was always a deck launch, ie:  the plane taxied to the rear of the flight deck, turned around and accelerated forward launching at the angle across the water brake area of the waist cats. I don't remember if CIs had NGL tow bars or not but in my experience cat launch of a C1 was very unusual.   7zero1, out.  

Hey now, I will have you know I watched Top Gun 143 times and memorized all of Tom Skeritt's lines.  I know what a trap is  

Actually, back when I was but knee high to a grasshopper, all military aircraft fascinated me - especially Naval aircraft.  I learned everything I could about the F-14, built about 50 of them in Revell model kits, begged, borrowed and stole money to buy any book on them, and watched every airshow ever aired on public television.

Trapping the third, a bolter, the customary pre-launch salute, and RIO are very familiar terms to me.  Man, I loved that shit!  I ate it up!  I wanted to be an F-14 pilot!  And not no backseater.  I wanted front canopy, as no pilot without a close up of the HUD is worth their weight in wings (I heard it in a movie, so it must be true!).  I even picked out my own call sign and watched Space Camp several hundred times (or was that because I liked to rub one out to Lea Thompson ?).

I was going to be a pilot and then enter the Space Program!

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a pilot that quit school in 7th grade...  

But thank you for the info!  I still wanted to serve my country, so I went to the Army.  With my GT score, I could have done just about anything.  I chose Infantry.  OK, not the smartest choice, but I am dumber than a box of drowned rocks.

I still play every flight simulator I can get my hands on...  Does that count?  

Man, you people have my dream job.
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 9:29:53 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never  ever expected anyone to call Spectre crews chicken shit.
No kidding.
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

An AC-130 crew flying during the day is probably going to become a dead AC-130 crew.
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 10:03:06 AM EDT
[#27]
My one (and only!) trap was in a C-2.

I was lucky enough to snag the window seat. (that little porthole thingy just forward of the red, white, and blue stripes.)

I had a great view of whitecaps until a bunch of yellow gear flashed by, followed by a horrendous THUMP BANG!!! Then the crew chief said, "Well, we're here..."
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I don't remember if CIs had NGL tow bars or not but in my experience cat launch of a C1 was very unusual.  

Traders, Trackers and Tracers (along with A-4 Skyhawks, A-5 Vigalanties, A-3 Skywarriors and F-4 Phantoms to name a few) did not have nose landing gear launch bars, they used the bridal cable and hook system.

Interesting note:
When the C-1 was hooked to the bridal and the hold back cable / fitting was installed and the shuttle went into tension the nose of the C-1 would leave the deck.

Here is a picture of a C-1 Trader bridal cable hook.
(Small hook on the bottom of the fuselage)

And one of it hooked to the bridal cable.

Here is a photo of an A-3 hooked up to the bridal cable for catapult launch.

The two ramps on the front of the USS Shangri-La were there to prevent "bridal slap".
Bridal slap occurs after the aircraft has left the flight deck, the shuttle has stopped and the cable has fallen away from the aircraft. The bridal cable would still be traveling at speeds in excess of 100 mph and would whip forward when the shuttle stopped.
The ramps prevented the bridal cable from slapping the hull of the carrier.

The ramps were removed from the Nimitz class carriers when the Navy stopped using the A-3 Skywarrion as an on board asset.
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

You're one up on me.
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The ramps were removed from the Nimitz class carriers when the Navy stopped using the A-3 Skywarrion as an on board asset.
navysite.de/cv/cv38_6.jpg

Thanks, I never knew what the hell those things were for.
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

An AC-130 crew flying during the day is probably going to become a dead AC-130 crew.

USAF....Cough..Cough...Somalia....Cough....

But to be fair they went against their own rules and shot themselves down.

They never showed on target that day.

Link Posted: 9/24/2006 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

How is a poltical decision to send/not send or use/not use assets the Services fault?  Blame Clinton.
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is a poltical decision to send/not send or use/not use assets the Services fault?  Blame Clinton.

Read my post....We were waiting on them to show. AC-130's were used in Somalia.

And believe me, I have no problem blaming Clinton for several things that effected my life from the time he got elected to the time I got out.

Link Posted: 9/24/2006 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
navysite.de/cv/cv38_6.jpg

Thanks, I never knew what the hell those things were for.
Me either.

It's a "bridle" like on a horse, not "bridal" as in the rope required to keep your wife from running away.

I met a Navy guy once who was home on leave visiting a shipmate from the Constellation. They were both Cat crew. His shipmate's glove got caught on the bridle gear hooking up either a Scoot or an F-4 during night ops. The plane left, and so did his shipmate's arm. Yuck.
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#35]
The ramps were torched off the Kitty Hawk in 1998 while we were in dry-dock at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, shortly before it headed over to Japan. (This 3 month stay is part of the reason I took orders to the Pacific NW when I transferred in 2000.)
I believe the JFK still has them, but I'm not 100% sure, not having seen a recent picture of her.
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
It's a "bridle" like on a horse, not "bridal" as in the rope required to keep your wife from running away.

At least I spelled bridal right.
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
A C-2A(R) Reprocured Greyhound COD of VRC-30, DET-5 trapping on board the USS Kitty Hawk during an in-port period in Perth, Western Australia this past summer.

www.vaq34.com/junk/vrc30det5c2ar.jpg

That doesn't sound right.  That implies that it was landing on a carrier either tied up to a pier or anchored in the harbor.
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#38]
It is possible, depending on the winds. I unloaded a CH-53 once, while pierside at Jebal Ali. That sucked. Summertime in the Persian Gulf, with no winds, carrying many thousands of pounds of mail.
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#39]
The Nimitz, Ike and Vinson had the bridle ramps when they were built.
Subsequent carriers do not.

Link Posted: 9/24/2006 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
It is possible, depending on the winds. I unloaded a CH-53 once, while pierside at Jebal Ali. That sucked. Summertime in the Persian Gulf, with no winds, carrying many thousands of pounds of mail.

That was a helo.  This is fixed wing with a landing speed of probably 70 knots or higher.
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
That doesn't sound right.  That implies that it was landing on a carrier either tied up to a pier or anchored in the harbor.

That's the way it was worded to me.  
The guy who took the picture is an Australian who was invited on board the Shitty Kitty to watch the on board air show when the Kitty was visiting Perth during an in-port period.
I am sure they were running in circles of the coast of Australia for the airshow.
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was a helo.  This is fixed wing with a landing speed of probably 70 knots or higher.

I know. I was prviding an example of the ship conducting flight ops while pierside.

Here's a fun fact: My last deployment aboard the Kitty Hawk in 1999, VRC-30 Det 5 took the top hook award for one month of it. All the pointy nose drivers were slightly put out.

And, because I know the question will be asked, the top hook award is awarded monthly to the squadron with the best overall trap grade average for the month.
Every arrested landing is graded, based on the wire you took, your approach to the landing area, etc. OK 3 wire is considered the best.
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Last cruise I made, '88-'89, USS Conestellation, we flew the air wing off while swinging on the anchor at Diego Garcia, then operated from the airfield for 2 weeks. Prior to getting underway, Car-Qualed the entire airwing while swinging on the anchor. Strangest flight ops I ever saw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top