Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2001 8:23:28 PM EDT
I've been looking at these lately and think I might get one. I know they usually have pretty high milage, but I don't mind doing a little work to one if needed. I think these cars are a good alternative to the higher priced Impalas and would make a good semi-sleeper. I know there has to be some LEOs who have driven them here, how'd you like them and did they hold up well or have any major problems? Thanks.

BMB
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 5:10:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been driving a 96 for over a year.
I'll be trading it out on a new 2001 in a few months.

Here's what I've learned from both first hand, and from the mechanics:

The tranny is the weakest link.
If you buy one, and it hasn't had shift kit work done to it, have it done.

There's a lot of torque coming from that LT1, and it eats up cop trannies frequently.

The rear end is next:

It's not unusual for the rear end to have  to be rebuilt at around 100K.

The police version comes with tranny and engine oil coolers:

The hoses to both have a tendency to start leaking at around 75-100K:
I don't think they are too expensive, and the change out doesn't take long.

My current Caprice has a small oil leak from the front seal, but nothing too bad at this time, but it also goes thru a quart of oil every 400-800 miles.

If you go to buy, look real hard at the exhaust tips:
Mine is black on the one side from the burning oil:
I can only imagine what the cat looks like inside.

Ours are taken out of service at 130K, and they go at auction for around 3K.

Jay
Arizona

"Life is hard:
It's harder if you're stupid"
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 6:18:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally I would look at a 98-2000 P71-P72 Crown Vic. They have all the heavy duty cop parts and are soooo sweet to drive. I own a 99 Crown Vic with the HPP (High performance package) package and it is very quick for a 4200# car. Plus being white with a push bar in the front everyone thinks I'm a PoPo and moves out of my way! [:D]

Go to Crownvic.net and crownvic.org for more info.

The SS's are REALLY nice but the standard caprice doesn't hold a candle to a late model Crown Vic in looks, handling, accessories. Mine sound snice and mellow cruising but sounds like a hot rod went you jump on it. Doesn't even labor as you hit 105 (high as i had it to date.).

I think Value for the $ is in favor of the Crown Vic. Because it is a current body style, it will look "newer" longer.

BrenLover
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 6:21:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Forgot to add, go to EBAY for deals on Caprice and Crown Vic police cars. The crown vic sites also can locate cars for you.

BrenLover
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 8:41:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I just bought a 94 9C1 two weeks ago for $4000.  I chose it over a less expensive Crown Vic because the CV's still don't have the performace of the Caprice.  The new HPP's are getting close, but they still don't get there in the end (I guess it's a Ford Vs Chevy thing [:D] ).  

Anyway, 9C1 has always been Chevy's code for the poice package, so make sure it has just what you want.  The best values are the 1994-1996 year models.  Those years had the LT1 Corvette engine available in them.  Look for a "P" in the 7th digit (edited: actually it's the 8th digit) in the VIN to identify the LT1 equipped Caprice.  It's not the old 350 either.  It's a new design that's multi-port fuel injected, reverse cooling flow, gear driven water pump, and a whole lot more.  '94 was also the first year for four wheel disc brakes too.  As pointed out, the engine puts out the power, so the drivetrain takes a beating if abused.  

For the most part, look for a higway partol car.  Highway miles, usually take-homes, and normally one or two officers only.  Avoid city units that are run 24/7 by three shifts in a motor pool.  These get dogged out.  Most departments turn them out at 100,000 miles at least.  I have 111,000 on mine, with no problems at all.  No leaks, no noises, perfect body, perfect interior.  I had to replace the gas struts that hold the hood open, and the serpentine belt.  Most Caprices go for $4000-6000 regardless of condition or options.

As Gunnrunner said, it's basically the same car as the Impala SS of the same years.  The Impala has different springs and rims, and a much better looking grill, interior, etc. and much higher value.  The 9C1 is basically the "industrial version" of the Impala SS.

As far as driving it goes, well I've only had it two weeks, so I haven't done it all yet.  It will smoke the tires off the line and chirp in second.  I get 22-23MPG on the highway.  There is little body roll in corners or curves (cop suspension), but it is a very smooth and comfortable ride.  I like the ride because it's very nice, but not "floating" like some luxury cars.  It's a very predictable handling car as well.  No suprises at all.  The trunk is huge, and there's a full size spare.  

Take your time and look for the right one.  Don't get in too much of a rush and get a money pit/beater.  There are plenty of them available, and plenty of places selling them.  Heck the guy I bought mine from has another for sale for $4000 as well.  The paint was in worse condition, and the interior was a little shabbier, but it was well worth the money.  Just don't settle for the first one that comes along.  Just jump on the right one when it does.

Ross
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually I would put my HPP up against a 9C1. It has 215 HP from a 4.6L and 3.27 rears, the actual cop/fleet models either have 3.55s or 3.73s. My best milage to date has been 27 mpg with cruise, nothing but highway, 60mph.

Overall ergos are much better than Caprices and because they are still made spares and accessories abound in yards. With the Marauder coming out look for even more hop-ups and mods. More than one guy has put in a DOHC 4.6L Cobra engine in them, a couple 5.4s and a couple guys have put in 6.8L V-10s!!! The 5.4L in these shine because they are torquey and will smoke the larger LT-1.

Myself, i am looking into putting a DOHC 5.4L from a Navigator in mine but that is a $5000 project. As always guns or car mods????

BrenLover
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Man, Ford vs Chevy.  Almost as bad as AR vs AK or .45 vs 9mm [:D].  The Crown Vic is a great choice for availability.  Really you can get a CV in the same year, condition, and mileage as a Caprice for about $1500-2000 less.  That's alot of car for less money.  Still, my stock 94 9C1 puts out 260 HP out of a 3.08 rear.  Mine still has the 130MPH speed limiter installed, simply because I see no reason to delete it.  I have no real intention of seeing the far side of 130MPH, though the capability is there if I want it.  

As far as mods go, that's just like guns.  How much do you want to spend?  I can bolt on another 50HP without breaking $200.  Once you start talking chips and parts from the Corvette, Z-28 and Trans-Am, and you start talking serious power for serious money.  But that's all apples and oranges.  Facts are facts, and bone stock the 9C1 is a better performer than the Crown Vic police pkg.  Heck even the new CV/HPP will beat a Ford Police Interceptor.

The Marauder looks pretty impressive, and that's a fact.  Still, in my research trying to decide Ford or Chevy, all the talk on the Crown Vic boards was how to mod their cars to get the same performance as the Caprice.  And that's from Ford drivers! [:P]

Seriously, I owned an earlier Caprice, so I was already more of a GM type anyway.  If I can find a nice used Crown Vic around here, I may buy it for my daughter when she gets her license.  I've seen nice police pkg ones for $2000 for a 92.  Like I said, it's alot of car for the money.  Just not as much car as a CHEVY![;)]

Ross
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Ross,
Cant deny it, the LT-1 is a great engine and the Impalla SS is a beautiful car, IMHO the regular caprice is a two bagger.  You are right when you say a HPP will beat a PI BUT that is because the PI is carrying about 600-800lbs more stuff and has the areodynamics of a box car with the light bar, spot lights, push bar. The 2001 Vics have 260HP from a 4.6L, MUCH better HP per Liter than the LT-1 in the Impalla. A friend of mine has a 94 or 95 mustang GT automatic and even he was surprised at how quick it is.

The problem with moding the 4.6L in a Vic is that the intake system is reveresed from the Mustang system thereby making many bolt-on mustang parts unusable. Most of the guys on the Vic boards have either designed/built their own stuff or badgered a company to make stuff. The SOHC 5.4 and DOHC 4.6L fits with little issue, even the 6.8L V-10 required surprisingly few mods (More than the 8s though). The real challenge is putting in the 5.4L DOHC because not only is the deck height increased but the DOHC heads are HUGE.

I will say that my car likes to float over certain types of road (I like that floating, roller coaster feeling) but corners like it is on rails, for a 4200# car anyway. It rides so nice that you have little sensation of speed. My fiance and I were on a trip very soon after I got the car, I looked over at her and said "rides nice huh?" She said " sure does, lot better than your truck", I said "hardly even feels like were doing 105 huh?, she says "WHAT?!?!". At that point I slowed down...[:D]

I have a buddy that got a 99PI Vic with 22k on it for $6700!!, no frills, but had all the HD parts and looked bad ass.

BrenLover
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Wasn't trying to start a Ford vs. Chevy thing here, as I am only interested in the Caprice. I looked at dealer that had about 6 used ones and only one looked like a good car for me. It was pretty clean and only had one small dent on the trunk and a good interior, but a bad radiator. The dealer was closed, so that was all the info I could get. If I do get one I mainly plan on just "cleaning it up" a bit. I'd remove moldings and shiny parts, probably add a Impala grill and maybe a spoiler, then a repaint. I'd have to think about the driveline mods for a while.

BMB      
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:05:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Gunrunner,

Now THAT is an Impalla![:o] looks alot like the Cadillac Catera. Probably wont come here because it would compete with the Vette to much.

I like Chevy and Ford, but prefer the Vic over the Caprice.

Your right on the crate 351, but in the cars with the modular 4.6Ls it is more work than putting in a 5.4L or 4.6L DOHC. Nice thing about  the 5.4s is that they all come with a forged crank so that is one less $$$ to buy when you want serious power.

For 98 Ford introduced their "Watts" Linkage rear end and greatly improved handling. The caprices I've been in felt like bloated beached whales compared to my HPP.

BMB, I feel you'll get more value for your money with a Vic but if you like the Caprice go for it. Either way you get a car that can take more punishment than most cars made today.

Brenlover
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 8:03:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I agree with the chevy guys.  The chevy well take the ford police package any day.  How do I know this well lets just say at 3 in the morning there not much to do in the patrol car on those long winter nights. So lets race boys. I was given a 2001 chevy this year for patrol. big diffrence. in a word they "Suck".  This next spring I'm going to be buying one the 95 chevy units for around 1800 to 2000 dollars. I;m going to sell the body to whom ever wants it. The power train well then go into a 1969 Camaro.   Sit Down Shut up and Hang on.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Personally I would look at a 98-2000 P71-P72 Crown Vic. They have all the heavy duty cop parts and are soooo sweet to drive. I own a 99 Crown Vic with the HPP (High performance package) package and it is very quick for a 4200# car. Plus being white with a push bar in the front everyone thinks I'm a PoPo and moves out of my way! [:D]

Go to Crownvic.net and crownvic.org for more info.

The SS's are REALLY nice but the standard caprice doesn't hold a candle to a late model Crown Vic in looks, handling, accessories. Mine sound snice and mellow cruising but sounds like a hot rod went you jump on it. Doesn't even labor as you hit 105 (high as i had it to date.).

I think Value for the $ is in favor of the Crown Vic. Because it is a current body style, it will look "newer" longer.

BrenLover
View Quote

My 1996 SS is faster!
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm sure it is, my computer limits out at about 105-110mph. The PI computer removes the limiter. A 2001 with modded chip will put out around 270Hp at the crank, with NO engine mods from 4.6L. I think that'll keep up with it. [:D]The maurauder with 300HP should smoke it easily although it has some body mods I am not crazy about. What always bugged me about the SS was that the rear tires/wheels looked likr they were not centered in the wheel well, looked a little forward. Anyone else notice that? That one little thing always got my attention and drove me nuts.

BrenLover
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm sure it is, my computer limits out at about 105-110mph. The PI computer removes the limiter. A 2001 with modded chip will put out around 270Hp at the crank, with NO engine mods from 4.6L. I think that'll keep up with it. [:D]The maurauder with 300HP should smoke it easily although it has some body mods I am not crazy about. What always bugged me about the SS was that the rear tires/wheels looked likr they were not centered in the wheel well, looked a little forward. Anyone else notice that? That one little thing always got my attention and drove me nuts.

BrenLover
View Quote

Yea,

I noticed it also.  There is  a fix for it.  

Still,  it is a great car.  

For speed I bought a 2000 Corvette Hardtop the SS is for comfort.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 8:40:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Great thread guys!  I have been fascinated by the Caprice for a long time.  I always hoped to buy one but now they aren't available new, and the used ones are pretty expensive.  In the early 90s I rented a Caprice for a trip to Florida--it was a great ride for a 1300-mile round trip and driving in Florida.

For many years I have driven an old 1970s-era LeSabre, which has a 300ci engine instead of the venerable 350.  I am pretty comfortable doing some of the work on the vehicle, and I like GM brand, so the Caprice makes sense.

On the other hand I do not need good performance or speed.  I just need comfort and reliability.  I am a big guy and I need a big car (bench seats rule!).  When I travel I have a small family and dogs so a big trunk like the Caprice, and during the week I have a real short commute in heavy city traffic.   Decent gas milage is important too--the LeSabre with its HEI ingnition system still gets around 18 mpg on the hiway.

Would the Crown Vic make more sense?  I have never been interested in Ford before, but given a big enough price difference I could see buying the Ford instead.  Does anyone know of good sources for these vehicles used in the Maryland-DC-northern VA area?

GunLvr

Link Posted: 9/8/2001 9:17:37 AM EDT
[#19]
the '98 thru '00 CV's are a little quirky. You would probably be better off with an earlier model CV. The '01's are MUCH better tho' and the '02's are supossed to be better still.

Also the 98'-? CV's like to have lots of weight in their trunk so that the rear suspension "works" properly, otherwise it feels loose. Hitting a bump while going around a corner gets it down right "jumpy" in back.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Oly-M4, I have not heard of the 98-ons as being quirky, mine has 68K and has not had one problem. I also haven't experienced the jumpy rear, maybe because I have a HPP that has differnat suspention settings and air ride suspention.

Go to Ebay for good deals on CVs also go to the two sites listed above for CVs.
BrenLover
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#21]
GunLverPHD-
Yeah, there's a place that sells cop cars there in MD.  I'll get the info and post it here.  There's also several all over the area.  As I said, the guy in Richmond I bought mine from still had another Caprice.  There's nothing wrong with the Crown Vic.  As a full size family car, it's hard to beat the overall package of cost, performance and extras that come with a police package CV.  

It's the last of the rear wheel drive V-8s.  Too bad too.  

Ross
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Oly-M4, I have not heard of the 98-ons as being quirky, mine has 68K and has not had one problem. I also haven't experienced the jumpy rear, maybe because I have a HPP that has differnat suspention settings and air ride suspention.
View Quote

The quirkiness is the steering gear tends to wear out. Also steering can get choppy if you make some rapid turns. Full range traction control. If you have it try going over a railroad tracks with a good head of steam when its wet. The traction control will apply the brakes and possibly cut-out the engine if it detects rear wheel slippage.  In the snow traction control is so good at keeping the wheels from spinning that snow builds up on the tires.

Prior to that they had traction assist which only applied the rear brakes if the rear wheels started slipping, under 35 mph.

Prior years also seem to have better performance and econmoy.

Yup your right about the suspension.  I'm talking about the PI's. It's not that the suspension is bad but it seems to work better with some weight.  

Have you had the extra plates welded on to the forward linkages of the rear suspesion where it goes into the frame??? There is a "recall" apparently those bracket weren't strong enough as origanlly built.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Dang it guy's!!!

Now you've got me thinking that I've gotta have one of these.

Most likely it will be a "Bow Tie" over the "Oval" because Corporate doesn't own any Ford Dealerships in AZ. Of the three GM dealers that we own I can get 10% over cost for all of my parts needs. Plus the fact that my '85 El Camino (which I purchased 5 yrs ago) has been a good Lassie to me!!!

BTW: I've been in the automotive arena since '73 with Datsun/Nissan!!!

Off topic, but you guys need to check out the 2002 Altima...By far the LARGEST Nissan ever produced...the 3.5 SE has a 240 hp V-6 that kicks some serious Butt!!! Trust me on this [8D]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 3:03:25 AM EDT
[#24]
GunLvrPHD-
Here's a place in MD that sells cop cars.  

Mid-Atlantic Motor Cars
12910 Baltimore Ave.
Laurel, MD  20707
(301)210-1200

They have both Crown Vic's and Caprice's.  I don't know anything else about the place, so you're on your own there.  I don't know if they're crooks or what, but at least it would give you a chance to compare the two side-by side.  Do the research before hand on both mosels so you know what you're looking at and what you want.  There's plenty of both models around, so just take your time and get the right one.

Most cop cars are equipped with bucket seats.  The good thing is they are quite big and give you better support than a bench, so they tend to be more comfortable for most people than the bench.  Try them out and see.  You can always swap out a front seat easily.

Ross
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the info Ross.  That dealership is not too far from where I live.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's what mine looks like:
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/029/el/RO/yh/fh40997.jpg[/img]

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top