Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/3/2001 4:28:36 PM EDT
I used to join every year. That was until 5 or 6 years ago when their fundraising campaigns were asking me for an additional $250 or $500+ every month.  

The tactics they employed to make a case for additional funds insulted my intelligence.  

IF they just came out and said " Hey, we need another $50" to help get this bill passed" or whatever, I'd been OK with it.  But to come with a "Hollywood" approach , Pleading, bleeding, begging, " __________________ (insert your name her in the computer generated letter) your substantial donation counts, we need your support in the next 24 hours, so use your MasterCard/Visa right now or the loss of our liberties will be blood on your hands"

I got fed up with it.  

Anyone know of an organization worthy of my membership dollars?

Link Posted: 9/3/2001 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#2]
For $35.00 a year you have to join. Like them or not, they are the most powerful pro-gun rights orginazation in the US.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
same reasons i dropped them. I send my money to the goa now. They don't get as much done but they also refuse to sell out. As a military style rifle shooter the NRA sold me down the river every chance they got. NRA is great for hunters rights but thats about it.

jmho

mike
View Quote

Thanks... For years I felt like I was the only one that was getting my ass kicked with Non-profit NRA Junkmail on a regular basis.

GOA = Gun Owners Assn???
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For $35.00 a year you have to join. Like them or not, they are the most powerful pro-gun rights orginazation in the US.
View Quote

No No No No I don't.  They get a letter explaining why they aren't getting my money everytime they ask.  When the represent me then I will send them money.

unitl then, GOA, SAF.

Zaz

"I have given up trying to understand people in favor of mocking them."
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I also get ticked off at the constant money raising, BUT...
The NRA is our best bet for keeping our Second Amendment rights.
Just dont respond to the constant fund raising, however, please DO be a NRA member.

Try Gun Owners of America(GOA) also. More stident but smaller.

Link Posted: 9/3/2001 4:43:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I became a life member a few years ago when I had the extra cash, as my way of sending them a nice contribution. Yes, they still send me annoying requests for contributions all the time, which frankly, I often just throw away, since nobody could contribute THAT often, and yes, they are not politically perfect, but the truth is, no pro gun org has done more to protect our gun rights over the long haul..

Link Posted: 9/3/2001 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#9]
What's that saying from Benjamin Franklin????
Hmmmm? Something about all hanging together, or all hanging separately?

[b]The Liberal Leftists HATE, HATE, HATE the NRA![/b]

Need any other reasons to join? Hehehe.

Eric The(C'monGetAboard,OrGetLEFT)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
that says to me they have a good record based on the work they have done in the past. For the last 5+ years they've done nothing but sell us out. If you don't hunt with 5,000.00 shotguns they don't want to deal with you.
Don't get me wrong they do some good work. I just think the present leadership has ruined the nra. They Preach a good sermon but they have stated "No One needs an assualt rifle". They have failed on effort after effort on local levels dealing with CCW and i have yet to hear ANY progun
advertisements that they wanted my money to produce. They NRA would be much better served spending money on result oriented progects rather than mass mailings.
View Quote

What he said!!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Personally, I'm happy to throw a couple dozen dollars at ANY organization that has even a passable record of opposing gun restrictions. Just because some of them send solicitations for more money doesn't mean you have to comply!

NRA, GOA, TSRA — I support them all. Total annual cost is still less than what I spend on pizza in a month. It's cheap insurance.

As the old saying goes: Stand united, or hang separately...
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone remember a few months ago.
The NRA was fighting hard against the CT assault weapons ban.
I didn't hear anything about GOA.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Like it or not, when it comes time to buy or intimidate or influence votes in Congress, only the NRA has the clout to accomplish anything.
As ErictheHun correctly says, the NRA is HATED above all other Pro-Rights organizations.
What the Hell does that say to you?
View Quote

"xanadu"...Smacks of fantasy...Get a grip old boy...Please do not listen to voices of satan...
You are only free because of the likes of the NRA...PERIOD!!!

You Sir,
Are a teenage boy!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey I'm not opposed to any organization doing good for gun owners and their rights. I just don't see the results of the NRA on my level.

That coupled with the fundraising branch of their organization treating me like some kind of "Jethro", expecting me to jump up and empty my savings account at 3am just to meet their needs.  They need to be more honest with their members.

BTW, does anyone know how many cents of every dollar donated to the NRA goes to Admistration, Programs, Fundraising etc... ???
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I must have missed something the last few years.  Where exactly has the NRA sold out gun owners.  I can't recall seeing anywhere that they compromised on my right to carry an AR-15 or a large capacity magazine.  If someone could give me some specific instances that I can read about on specific websites I would appreciate it very much.  Until then, my $ will continue to go to the organization that I feel has done the most to protect my gun rights, the NRA.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh,
Like I respond to every mailing???

Use Thy head...Give when you can...Just don't blame the NRA!!!!

Those in the UK Just Wish they had A VOICE...

OURS is the NRA...Period
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Wholly Moses, you guys! Do ya'll think for one minute that Handgun Control, Inc.'s members bitch and bitch and bitch about its fund-raising letters????

No, you know why? 'Cause they have an AGENDA and the first thing on that agenda is to discredit the 800 lb. gorilla that [i]Forbes[/u] Magazine called the most powerful lobby group on Capitol Hill, the [b]N.R.A.[/b]!

Eric The(YouWantChuckHestonToComeToYourHouseAndBitchSlapYouToo?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#23]

"xanadu"...Smacks of fantasy...
View Quote

"xanadu" the first computer password I ever had, in 1979.

You Sir,
Are a teenage boy!!!
View Quote

No, and if I didn't appreciate the cerebral quality of most of your posts, I might take offense at that statement.  

I do have a teenage boy however, Juggernaut.  He has been raised "right" (pun intended), which you'd see if you've read any of his posts.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#24]
They are not going to get another cent from me because they support CARA. It does you no good to own an AR if you have no place to shoot it. Once again, you folks should be as worried about land use rights as you are the 2nd amendment.

Aviator [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:50:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
M1A-A1, thanks for the back-up.  
P.S. how's the dirk?
View Quote

Sorry Friend,

But the oldde computer is responding quite slowly...

However, My Dirk [:I] is polished to a high Sheen... But then again Today is my wife's B-Day...

Dang , I'm truly bad...Just don't tell my wifie poo!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:59:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I admire and appreciate the efforts of all the pro-rights organizations.  Period.
But I figure if my enemies hate one above all others (the NRA) and wish to destroy it first and foremost, well, that's where my firepower is going first.
View Quote

I can understand and appreciate what you are saying, but... If the lobbying organization doesn't have the complete confidence of it's base group of potential supporters, what does that say about it's credibility?

For example, there are XXX,XXX,XXX firearms owners, however XXX,XXX refuse to support the most powerful organization, then the real question is Why?

Exactly.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

"xanadu"...Smacks of fantasy...
View Quote

"xanadu" the first computer password I ever had, in 1979.

You Sir,
Are a teenage boy!!!
View Quote

No, and if I didn't appreciate the cerebral quality of most of your posts, I might take offense at that statement.  

I do have a teenage boy however, Juggernaut.  He has been raised "right" (pun intended), which you'd see if you've read any of his posts.  

View Quote

Sir' I apologise

I mean not to Smear your "user " Name ...but only wish that you would reconsider WHY we do indeed need the likes of the NRA...it IS OUR VOICE, CRYING IN THE WILDERNESS...
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
OK, since the NRA is no damn good, please list the legislative and electoral accomplishments of the GOA.  Please be specific. Thank you.
View Quote

First off GOA [b]prevents[/b] laws from being passed not diluting them down before passage with our dollars and then coming back the next time and doing it again. See how we help you...."

The NRA is a political machine.  Nothing more, nothing less.

So as examples;

1998... GOA fought for and won, the right of gun owners to sue and recover damages from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (BATF) for harassment and unlawful seizure of firearms.

and :

"Gun Owners of America led the fight in defeating the terrorism bill in 1995. They generated grassroots pressure that made it possible for us to hold tight and keep the bill from passing."
Rep. Joe Scarborough
September 1996

Again, they prevent passage of laws.  They do not barter with [i]my[/i] rights!
I am sick and tired of these political orgaizations using my liberties to bargin with and justify their own existence

Zaz

"I have given up trying to understand people in favor of mocking them."

Link Posted: 9/3/2001 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

[b]The Liberal Leftists HATE, HATE, HATE the NRA![/b]

Need any other reasons to join? Hehehe.

Eric The(C'monGetAboard,OrGetLEFT)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Join as many other RKBA orgs as you want but for 10¢ a day can you afford NOT to be an NRA member?

Link Posted: 9/3/2001 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#34]
This is amazing.  How many of those bitching about NRA belong to any other gun rights group such as GOA or SAS?

How many people bitching about the NRA ignored this post the other day about a long distance company that contributes 10 percent of all LD revenue to GOA.  I think I got....ummmm... ZERO response.  Here is chance for someone to have something they do almost daily to go for our cause and it got zippo response.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=48747[/url]  

All those bitching about the NRA, what are you doing?
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Seeya on the barricades.
View Quote

To quote Rich Eisen of ESPN:

You want me on that wall, you NEED me on that wall
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
well larry i do belong to the goa. As well a a few other local progun groups. Your topic wasn't shunned because no one wants to help. some topics create action without reply's. nothing is stoping you from btt the topic to keep it current. How do you know no one signed up?

mike
View Quote

You may be right, but I just thought that 43 reads in a day and a half was pretty pitiful vs Disney Hippo's with 209 reads in 8 hours or the boxer vs. martial artist with 92 reads in one hour.  Just seemed like everyone was more interested in BS than actually trying to accomplish something.  Maybe I am wrong.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#40]
LARRYG, from reading the subject, I thought your post was asking a question of which LD company to use.  I would guess that others who simply glanced down the subject listing wouldn't have known that it was a post containing information, rather than the usual post asking for something.

Link Posted: 9/3/2001 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#41]
I quit when I realized they would never endorse a Libertarian candidate. Strange, the Libertarians are the only party that truely believe in the 2nd ammendment. No compromises, no bullshit. No "I'm W. Bush, I would accept some gun control" crap. I came to the conclusion that the NRA is in some political game designed to further republican issues, not pure gun control issues. Case in point: their get tough policy towards criminals of all sorts, even those that are victims of the federal "machine", ie: drug arrests, conspiracy to commit anything, etc. I joined GOA instead.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#42]
AS stated above, I would NEVER support a group who will fight for one right at the expense of another. I find NRAs support of CARA totally unacceptable. No matter how much good they do on my second amendment rights, if they are doing damage to my right to own land and USE the land I own then they are no friend of mine.

I will spend the money I would have sent to the NRA supporting local and regional groups who will fight for ALL my rights. I also spend as much time as possible making friends and family understand what it is that is happening with gun rights, land use rights and exposing the lies spread by the media. Yes I may be a pain in the ass to them sometimes, but more and more for them understand what I am saying and are agreeing with me. By me personally talking about these things it does a lot more good in my opinion than some commercial. If  you want things changed, you need to make the changes at the grass roots level. If someone feels they may not be re-elected because of how they vote then they will vote the way you want them to.

Link Posted: 9/3/2001 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
LARRYG, from reading the subject, I thought your post was asking a question of which LD company to use.  I would guess that others who simply glanced down the subject listing wouldn't have known that it was a post containing information, rather than the usual post asking for something.

View Quote

I see what you mean, so I changed the title.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 7:14:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I find NRAs support of CARA totally unacceptable.

View Quote

OK, I give, what's CARA?, and what does it have to do with 2nd ammendment rights for ALL gun owners?

Link Posted: 9/3/2001 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#45]
It's really quite simple.

1.) Join all of the pro-RKBA groups that you can.  

2.) Send 'em all a little bit of green.  Discard the junk mail that you don't want to contribute to.

3.) Voice your opinions to your elected officials.

4.) Set a good example for non-shooters.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

OK, I give, what's CARA?, and what does it have to do with 2nd ammendment rights for ALL gun owners?

View Quote

[url]http://www.newsmax.com/commentarchive.shtml?a=2001/8/31/024846[/url]

Link Posted: 9/3/2001 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It's really quite simple.

2.) Send 'em all a little bit of green.  Discard the junk mail that you don't want to contribute to.
View Quote

That's one of the parts I have a problem with.

If I send them $35 in January, and they send me $22 worth of printing, packaging and postage in a years time...

(not counting the hat, badge, sticker, pin, subscription to the American Whatever, etc)

...is my money going to support 2nd ammendment rights or is my money going to feed a giant fund-raising monster.  

Yes the NRA does some good, but how much more good could they do if they took a different tack with their fundraising efforts and made the use of funds for lobbying paramount.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#49]
You don't[i]have[/i]to contribute funds everytime the NRA, NRA-ILA, NRA-PVF, etc. ask for it.  Even James Baker in an annual letter to members, explains that they don't expect you to donate all the time.  You also don't have to give $20 or $50 or more each time.  Sometimes all I send is three or four dollars.  If everyone would send a smaller amount rather than a few sending large amounts, everyone would be happier.  Unfortunately, there are some who will not send any more than dues and don't think about writing smaller checks.
The NRA is really the only nationally known organization that is known by gun owners and non gun owners alike.  Members of Congress know GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, various state rifle associations, etc., but most people don't.
I don't agree with everything President Bush is doing, and I'm never going to agree with everything the "salaried shirts" at the NRA are doing, but other than personally talking with or writing your representatives, there isn't a better way to convey gun owners' viewpoints to the American public than to be a member.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#50]
I stopped supporting the NRA back during the campaign when Wayne went on a morning show and went on about how the NRA has supported different types of gun control.

Face it, they have absolutely nothing to gain if they end up getting the 2nd treated the way it was meant to be, they would be out of business.

I would like to be able to own a Class 3 firearm if I wish, without licking the boots of the local PD because the ATF is so frigging lazy.  At least one group has had the balls to go up against what is so obviously a violation of federal tax laws. (that would be the 1934 group)

I support GOA and Grass Roots North Carolina, with GRNC being my favourite.  They are not afraid to stand up and state what we all think.  There is no sugar coating and there is no compromising at all.  One of the recent victories went down because they labeled a storage law as a Rapist Protection Act.  The press picked it up and the congress critter that introduced it went into a tizzy about it in public.

I also take the time to call, write, fax and email my congress critters and let them know how I feel.  When I have extra time (a rarity), I call the ones in NJ since I travel there 4-5 times a year.  From time to time I also write to newspapers, news web sites and magazines.  I even had one letter published where I called an old gun law an extension of racism as it was originally passed to keep blacks disarmed.  

We hold our fate, our destiny and if you aren't willing to take some personal time to invest in it, then just keep sending in your $$$ to make yourself feel better, but don't consider yourself anything of a "Patriot".
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top