Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2001 9:38:58 AM EDT
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) is amending the regulations to prescribe
minimum height and depth requirements for identification markings placed on firearms by licensed importers and licensed manufacturers.
Specifically, we are requiring a minimum height of 1 1 ⁄16 inch and a minimum depth of .003 inch for serial numbers and a minimum depth of .003 inch for all other required markings. We
believe that these minimum standards
are necessary to ensure that firearms are
properly identified in accordance with
the law. In addition, the final regulations will facilitate our ability to trace firearms used in crime.
DATES: This rule is effective January 30, 2002.
[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/regulations/td461.pdf[/url]

What's really bullshit is the source of their research:

The Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and
Research provided us with the following
information:
We have been informed by the Baltimore
Police Department that of the almost 3,700
crime-guns recovered by them in 1998, 15%
had obliterated serial numbers. Nationwide it
is estimated that between 9 and 20 percent
of the crime-guns recovered have had their
serial numbers removed.

What do these people have for brains, oatmeal?
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#1]
No.  Tofu for brains.  More liberal of a food.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Jesus! 1 1/16" high! I don't know if there is any pistol that could fit a serial number that high.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Am I reading that correctly?  1.0625 inch?  Or is that ONE 1/16th of one inch?  Seems somewhat vague to me.  1.0625 inch?  Seems some small guns will have to be enlarged to fit the serial number on them.  

Geez...
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#5]
That is probably the reason for the change. No more pocket pistols, like Derringers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#7]
The 1/16 inch high is no sweat.  I have a feeling what they are trying to do is rule out etched or laser engraved serial numbers.  .003" deep is pretty minimal for stamping or engraving.

Norm
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 3:15:18 PM EDT
[#8]
You guys are missing the point!

The reason is so they can be indentified after  recovery from the "fire".
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The 1/16 inch high is no sweat.  I have a feeling what they are trying to do is rule out etched or laser engraved serial numbers.  .003" deep is pretty minimal for stamping or engraving.

Norm
View Quote

If this is true, it will affect all the C&R importers and probably raise the purchase price of these guns as they use laser engraving.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Isn't anyone else here concerned that a federal agency is using the data from an openly biased and exposed for fraud anti-gun organization to justify their actions?

The Republic is lost.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:54:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Isn't anyone else here concerned that a federal agency is using the data from an openly biased and exposed for fraud anti-gun organization to justify their actions?

View Quote

yes.  But we are used to it.  The BATF doesn't exist in my eyes.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 6:11:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Relax, troops.  Just read the ATF doc on their site.
Text clearly says: one-sixteenth (1/16) inch high, minimum .003 inch deep.
No sweat.
View Quote

I read the same.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 6:24:56 AM EDT
[#14]
When I build my own firearms, the ATF can eat the peanuts out of my shit before I will mark them for them.

Can I be any more adament about this?  Nope.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 7:33:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 8:06:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they really wanted to figure out what the serial number is after it's been ground off, can't they perform some type of "x-ray" and figure it out by the way the stamping altered the molecular structer of the metal all the way through?...
View Quote

Not an X-ray operation actually - More like acid etching and microscopic analysis.  It won't work if a LOT of metal has been removed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 8:07:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they really wanted to figure out what the serial number is after it's been ground off, can't they perform some type of "x-ray" and figure it out by the way the stamping altered the molecular structer of the metal all the way through?

[img]http://www.ncsg.org/topohat-small.jpg[/img]
View Quote

What you talking about is "acid etching".  It can used to bring out the number.  This can be defeated by using a cold chisel and hammer on the number BEFORE grinding.  The chisel will disrupt the metal and make recovery impossible, IF done correctly.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top