Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/19/2006 8:31:45 PM EDT
I'm looking for the most reliable lighter.  I've purchased several that apeared to be high quality from gas stations and one from a that brighter image magazine or whatever it was for 70.00! They all quit working or were not the most reliable within 90 days of use.  

I'd like it to be able to be somewhat rugged so it doesn't break if dropped while hiking or a fall out of my pocket onto the sidewalk.

Are zippo's really the best? I've never had one but heard they go through fuel really fast.

Opinions?

Working in some wind would be a plus, but I want it's fuel to last awhile if possible.
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Zippo's the best in my experience. Simple and rugged as anything. The fuel evaporates, so you have to replace it every week or so, but it's cheap ($2 for a bottle you get like 50-100 fills out of). If it's for smoking, it apparently adds a funny taste, but I never noticed anything. Probably because I always used a zippo.
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#2]
djeep, looks like a fat bic
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Zippo's the best in my experience. Simple and rugged as anything. The fuel evaporates, so you have to replace it every week or so, but it's cheap ($2 for a bottle you get like 50-100 fills out of). If it's for smoking, it apparently adds a funny taste, but I never noticed anything. Probably because I always used a zippo.

What he said. Can't go wrong with the Zippo lighter, and the sound of the lid opening is quite addicting.
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#4]
zippos will kill you. You inhale more fuel than any other lighter.
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I do not smoke so that is not a problem.  It will be used outdoors camping.  

How well do zippo's work in wet enviroments? if it gets wet will it quickly be usable after being out of hte rain for a few minutes?

I wouldn't ask this but I can not for the life of me find something reliable.  If I am paying 30 dollars for a lighter it better last for quite some time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Bic.

Last a long time without a refill.
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#8]
ok ok I don't smoke so lets stay on the lighters lol

Link Posted: 7/19/2006 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I do not smoke so that is not a problem.  It will be used outdoors camping.  

How well do zippo's work in wet enviroments? if it gets wet will it quickly be usable after being out of hte rain for a few minutes?

I wouldn't ask this but I can not for the life of me find something reliable.  If I am paying 30 dollars for a lighter it better last for quite some time.

well, if you are using them as survival tools then lighters are a poor decision. You should take some "light anywhere" matches with the white tips and wrap them in cotton string then dip them in parafin. You will then have long lasting (+5 min) and water proof matches.
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#10]
the butane refillable windproof lighters from Cabelas/Gander Mountain type store are nice
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#11]
does butane last as long as the fuel in zippo?  being used and just laying around waiting to be used?
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
the butane refillable windproof lighters from Cabelas/Gander Mountain type store are nice

if you can keep them going....for some reason all butane "windproof" lighters always shit the bed after a week of use.
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
does butane last as long as the fuel in zippo?  being used and just laying around waiting to be used?

I found the zippos always dried out on me within a few weeks.
The butanes stay filled at least a month
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if you can keep them going....for some reason all butane "windproof" lighters always shit the bed after a week of use.

Never had one croak on me but my expensive Colibri crapped out after a couple years.
I hate zippos, too much fuel taste in smokes
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Zippo or a trench lighter like this one.

and for true SHTF scenarios a magnesium strike stick is handy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had two, a Colibri, and a Cabelas "Guide" or whatever.  They didn't last out the week in the bush in Alaska.  The lids came apart, and it went downhill from there.

If I could get a jet lighter in a zippo case, built of steel, that would be great.
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#17]
what the hell are you guys doing with your windproofs? Using them as prybars?
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

MAde in China. only a matter of time.

my latch broke, then the lid broke, then it went downhill from there
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't have to be fancy shmancy...

Get a bunch of Bic lighters at the wallyworld and a Zippo lighter..

Cost.....$20.

Zippo's last forever.. buy a small can of fuel and flints.. The advntage of a Zippo is that it is truely windproof and you can keep the falme up for a few minutes if you have to....

The Bic lighters last a long time. They will work even after you get them wet.., and the fuel does not evaporate..however, they are not as windproof and they get hot after holding the falme for more than 30 seconds...

Use the best of both worlds...

Get Both

Link Posted: 7/19/2006 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Any refillable butane jet/torch/windproof piezo ignition lighter I've ever had took a shit in no time. That counts for quite a few of them. $6 gas station novelties and $50 'expedition' models alike. I don't smoke any more, but I still keep lighters around for obvious reasons.

Zippos are fine for everyday use, but need to be maintenanced all the damned time. If you stow it away for occasional use, then store the bottle of fuel and flints with it and be prepared to fuck around for a few minutes when you need an ignition source.

Mini-bic or D-jeep are my choices for glove box, BOB, under the motorcycle seat ........

I'd like to see someone make one of those extended grill lighter thingys that wasn't a complete POS.
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

case overheats and melts if run long enough to light a fire in a freezing rain with no gas/diesel to spare.  

When in the bush, you might just have alot of stuff in a loose pocket to impact with.  Then the lighter might get stepped on, sat on, and generally have alot more force applied to it than in your jeans.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2006 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm bumping this simply because i I will never pay for a 70 dollar POS again
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 10:44:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I have used a Zippo for the last 32 years
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 10:55:11 PM EDT
[#24]
the same zippo or different zippos?
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 10:56:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got a brass Zippo (namebrand, not a knockoff) with the U.S. Army logo engraved on it.

Other than running out of fuel because I kept playing with it and wearing out the flint, that lighter has darn near survived everything up to and including the apocalypse. As long as it had ANY amount of fuel in it, it never failed to light, under any condition.

Lighter fluid is about two bucks for a bottle that will last for about fifty+ refills and a whole package full of flints is maybe thirty cents. You don't get much better than that.

Also- flicking it open and shut is addicting, especially if you can do it one-handed.
A Zippo also makes a field-expedient hand warmer. Light it for a few seconds, then flick it shut and clutch it in both hands- your frozen fingers will thank you.
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 11:07:06 PM EDT
[#26]
hmmm things are looking towards a zippo.  didn't they use these lighers in WWII or something and they saved several lives by stopping bullets?

maybe they are still the best?
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
hmmm things are looking towards a zippo.  didn't they use these lighers in WWII or something and they saved several lives by stopping bullets?

maybe they are still the best?

A Zippo will not stop a bullet. It's just a lighter made of thin brass (or today you can get it in aluminum, stainless steel, or even fricking titanium, but brass is the original and best) with some lighter fluid-soaked cotton in the middle.

Regardless, they were quite commonly used in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam and did in fact save several lives by lighting things on fire for one reason or another.
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 11:20:16 PM EDT
[#28]
This thread reminds me of the Alfred Hitchcock or was it Amazing Stories episode w/the old Vegas hustler betting some young dude his trusty lighter can't strike ten times in a row.If he loses,it would cost him a finger.If he won he got a car IIRC. Anyways all was going well until the hustler's old lady walks in just as the tenth strike is made. The draft from the door opening blew out the flame.She yells at the old dude & he misses the young guys finger w/the meat cleaver...The young dude was off the hook & the old lady says he does this kind crap all the time as she takes off her gloves to reveal a stumpy nub of hand....better get a Zippo bub.
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 11:25:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
This thread reminds me of the Alfred Hitchcock or was it Amazing Stories episode w/the old Vegas hustler betting some young dude his trusty lighter can't strike ten times in a row.If he loses,it would cost him a finger.If he won he got a car IIRC. Anyways all was going well until the hustler's old lady walks in just as the tenth strike is made. The draft from the door opening blew out the flame.She yells at the old dude & he misses the young guys finger w/the meat cleaver...The young dude was off the hook & the old lady says he does this kind crap all the time as she takes off her gloves to reveal a stumpy nub of hand....better get a Zippo bub.

Kids a fucking dumbass.

Also, why would it matter if the lighter got blown out on the tenth strike? It struck and lit, however briefly, didn't it?
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 11:30:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I wasn't arguing whether or not the kid is a dumbass or are you referring to me? The thread just reminded me of that show ,that's all I was gettin' at man. Geez, just trying to interject some humor....Don't ask me, ask the producers.
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 11:34:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I wasn't arguing whether or not the kid is a dumbass or are you referring to me? The thread just reminded me of that show ,that's all I was gettin' at man. Geez, just trying to interject some humor....Don't ask me, ask the producers.

You seriously think I'm referring to you?
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#32]
how do you know if you find an actual titatnium lighter? that would match my knife and be damn strong
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 11:44:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I didn't think you were, just checking.There seems to be quite a bit of noob bashing here & I can reassure you that I'm not trying to start a pissing match. I guess it was just the context of your 1st statement & then I perceived you were flaming me over the shows flawed content.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 6:20:08 AM EDT
[#34]
zippos or the trench lighters FTW.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 6:24:50 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kids a fucking dumbass.

Also, why would it matter if the lighter got blown out on the tenth strike? It struck and lit, however briefly, didn't it?

He left out the best part. He was on the 9th strike when the old lady walked in and put a stop to it. When all was said and done, the dude goes to light a cigarette (would have been the 10th strike, but his hand is safe now) and it didn't light.

I always liked that one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 6:30:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Zippo

Link Posted: 7/20/2006 6:39:43 AM EDT
[#37]
I've been using the same Zippo that i bought the first day I made it aboard the carrier back in '83.  I've had to replace the wick twice in that time and it looks like hell but it is still going strong.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 6:48:58 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Zippos will dry out in a few weeks even if you don't use them. I've found old Bic lighters in my dresser drawers that had been there for years, and they still worked like new. That said, as long as you have fuel, Zippos work best in rough conditions.

DJeep are the absolute best, if you can find them.

YMMV
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 6:58:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Zipos are cool, and do last for ever, and you never have to replace them, if you ever have a problem with them they send you a penny in a little tin wrapper thatt says  "The penny never spent" as they repair anything Zippo for free. My friend found one on the beach Totally corrided, and just shot as a lark he emailed them, thats when they sent him the penny, and a brand new lighter!
That being said their great for cigarettes, or lighthing fires, I love that smell, but it dosent go good with other things, like a cigar or well other things!

Colibri, absolut friggen overpriced garbage, Ive owned 4 of them and to this day not one of them survied, and service?? Their service also sucks ass. I just cant belive I bought more than one of them. They look really cool, and work well for the month or two then all die.

IMHO over the years ive went back to the cheap undestructable, always lighting, cheap Bic! You just cant go wrong with them, you can get a 5 pack for $5, throw one in a backpack, glovebox,tacklebox, and always have a waterproof lighter that you can rely on.

Greg
"Let Them All Make Their Own Music"

i53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/Rush0212/Fire.gif[/IMG
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

+1 I have one from Cabela's and it's been going strong for the last 2 years.  I don't smoke either; my lighters get used for camping.

PS you can buy the Z-Plus adaptor to make your Zippo into a butane but I do not recommend it.  PM me for more details if you want.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 7:05:15 AM EDT
[#41]
zippo
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Zippo!  
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Advantages:

Zippo: can carry an extra flynt; very reliable and tough enough to go through most any conditions and still work; filling the lighter is simple and there is no doubt when it is full; fuel is cheap;

Butane: can store for years with no fuel loss; can be bought very cheap;

Disadvantages:

Zippo: fuel evaporates within a few days whether the lighter is used or not; its a bit heavier than most butane lighters;  if overfilled can leak;

Butane: more subect to failure due to more complex mechanisms involved; can't carry extra flynt (some use electronic ignition which when it fails it fails for good); filling a butane can be frustrating - hard to tell how much fuel is in most of them;

I carry at least 2 sources of fire when I'm out and about. Usually a zippo and a cheap butane or matchbook.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#44]
IMO Zippos are a poor choice unless you plan to properly maintain it.

I love 'em, and have a few, but as far as BOB's are concerned, I stock a few Bics [I've had some that were a decade old that still worked great] matches, and a blast match.

Link Posted: 7/20/2006 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Zippo!  Carry some extra flints where the fuel goes.  Stick them in the cotton.  

TC

Link Posted: 7/20/2006 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#49]
what types of butanes don't use the electric starters?

What makes the Djeep's so good? are they butane?

also are all butanes that jet like fire? What are the advantages of the jet flame styles compared to the regular flames?  do they use fuel faster or slower?
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#50]
bump
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top