Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2001 11:24:25 PM EDT
CAN A VALID ARGUMENT BE MADE ON THE BEST PISTOL?
1911 VS. GLOCK, OR DOUBLE STACK 9MM VS. SINGLE STACK .45 POWER, THERE ARE A LOT OF EXTREME LOYALISTS FOR THE 1911 AND SAME GOES FOR THE GLOCK. WHY IS IT STILL A DEBATE?

" WELL, MY 1911 CAN STOP A MAC TRUCK"

"OH YEAH, MY GLOCK CAN SWIM WITH ME IN MY POOL, AND HOLDS DOUBLE YOUR 1911"

WHEN I FIRST STARTED LOOKING FOR A DEFENSE PISTOL I WAS BEING TUGGED BACK AND FOURTH BY THE 1911 SIDE AND THE GLOCK SIDE. THIS MADE IT HARD TO DECIDE WHICH GUN TO CARRY.SO, 5 YEARS LATER, I HAVE OWNED 8 GLOCKS AND 2 1911'S AND FOR ME IT IS THE PATH OF THE GLOCK, I WOULD RATHER HAVE A SMALL HAIL STORM OF BULLETS FROM MY GLOCK, THAN A FEW ANTI AIRCRAFT SHELLS FROM MY 1911. BUT THAT'S JUST ME.I FEEL THERE IS NO PERFECT GUN, NO "BETTER" GUN. IF YOU HAVE A VALID OPINION ON WHY ONE GUN IS BETTER THAN ANOTHER, PLEASE SHARE.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:12:58 AM EDT
[#1]
NOT AGAIN.

Geeze, Chevy -vs- Ford.

Let it go.

I own both.  I won't take sides.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:19:56 AM EDT
[#2]
You can get a GLOCK in "anti aircraft" .45.  Actaully, you can get three different models.[;)]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By CROSSHAIR SPY:
CAN A VALID ARGUMENT BE MADE ON THE BEST PISTOL?
View Quote

Can you use the shift key? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:42:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Go with a Glock .40.  More rounds than the 1911 and if you pick the right load, more foot-pounds of energy.  Load it with Cor-bon 135-grain or Federal or Winchester 155-grain ammo, and it will do just as well or better than any .45 load.  Pre-ban mags are still available, and even if you don't want to pay those prices, you still get 10 rounds in a post-ban mag, which is more than a single-stack 1911.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:46:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Both are fine.

1911 is an old, time-tested design that is the basis of all modern handgun designs.  The question shouldn't just be about the "1911" but who made the pistol.  Charles Daly 1911s suck.  Norinco 1911s suck.  Colt 1911s are expensive and they suck.  Kimbers are great, and well-priced.  Springfields are great, and again well-priced.  The plethora custom maunfacturers of 1911s produce top-of-the-line combat pistols that are accurate and 100% reliable.

Glock is light, reasonably accurate, and reliable.  If you grew up with the standard American grip angle of 11 degrees you won't like the grip of the Glock.  If you have small hands, only one Glock will work for you and that is the ultra-compact G36 in .45 auto.  Cutomization also proves to be problematic with the Glock.  The trigger cannot safely be tampered with, the plastic frame makes grip changes very difficult and expensive.  Also, there aren't many pistolsmiths out there who work on the Glock.

I prefer the 1911.  It is what I know.  A WWI-vintage Colt .45 was my first handgun.  I carried the .45 in the service and shot with a .45 in competition.

Incidentally, the Glock is no more water-proof than the 1911 is.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:48:24 AM EDT
[#6]
We must have a Hangfire Jr. here.  He seems ALWAYS TO BE SHOUTING OUT HIS POSTS IN CAP-LOCK!!!!!!!

Edited to say: At least he doesn't use CAPS and [b]BOLD[/b].
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#7]
SPEER manual #13 states, "Some pistols chambered for the 40 S&W cartridge may not provide complete support of the case head.  If this condition exists, normal pressure loads such as those shown here can cause the case wall to bulge and rupture at the unsupported point.", does SPEER have the GLOCK in mind?  In a GLOCK Autopistols 2001 magazine, in a section titled...ASK GLOCK!  "Question #1- Why can't I shoot lead bullets in my GLOCK?  Answer-GLOCK rifling is polygonal or octagonal for better bullet-to-bore seal.  Lead builds up more quickly in these types of rifling and the lead build-up will increase chamber pressure to an unsafe level."  With both of those statements in mind I can know see why hear of GLOCK 40's blowing up!
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#8]
to each his own
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:30:06 AM EDT
[#9]
This argument has been very well fleshed out in several other threads here in the past few days. Anything I add to this thread would involve repeating myself.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#10]
The 1911 feels better in my hand than any other handgun I have handled. What ever gun you are most comfortable with will be what you want when you need it.

Kyle
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I think the answer you are looking for is....[red]HK[/red] never compromise !!!!
[img]www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/shootout.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#12]
DonS, I'll agree with you there. Common guys, let this die on the vine.

BrenLover
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I own many of each (including HK, Spectre).  Can't take sides.

They all have advantages and disadvantages.  Choose your favorite, or, if you can afford it get 'em all.  

[whacko]

James
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I own both. Love them both. I have a Kimber paid more shoots better so naturally it is my favorite. I shoot with the intention to kill with the first shot, not 15 or 16. You may not be a good shot and need the extra rounds.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Symtex, I sure hope the bad guy has read your mind and complies with your plan!  Be a darn shame if he absorbed your man-stopping .45 loads without reacting.  Hopefully he won't have a number of friends with him, either.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think the answer you are looking for is....[red]HK[/red] never compromise !!!!
[img]www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/shootout.gif[/img]
View Quote

Yes, cheesy safety, over-engineered, and way too expensive for what you get.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#17]
why not get a glock in a 45 cal so you have the best of both worlds?
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Why limit your question to Glock and 1911.  There are many other brands out there and some are better than either of these choices.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#19]
1911 all the way.better trigger more accurate and fits the hand better.As for special loads for the .40 those loads are also availible for the .45
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Is it better to hang my AK in my Chevy, or my AR in my Ford?....Oh, yeah, and what's the best combo if I want to drive real fast & shoot real accurately? AK & Chevy? AR & Ford? AK & Ford? AR & Chevy? And please, seriously guys, don't tell me HK & Dodge. I need real advice here.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#21]
1911's and Glocks are both great guns. I have a Kimber. I do not have a Glock but have shot a few. While I am not crazy about the trigger on the Glock, I have to say that I liked the ones I shot and would definately consider buying one. One thing that is good about the Glock and the 1911 is that you have one consistent trigger pull unlike a double/single action like the Sig.

To me the magazine capacity does not mean much because if I were to buy a Glock there is no way I would pay the price for the high cap mags. With the Glock 10rd mag you have 11rds with one in the chamber. With the 1911 and a 8rd mag and one in the chamber you have 9rds. I do not think that 2 more rounds is all that advantageous.

Both handguns are excellent for self-defense and are quite capable of doing the job. I think it really comes down to personal preference.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:08:05 PM EDT
[#22]
1911. 1911. 1911.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Hell, just get a Bryco!
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Dude!!! Neither!!!

Get a CCW in AZ, and if you can conceal it, carry it!!

As soon as I can figure a way to conceal this
[img]http://www.army-technology.com/projects/ufh/images/ufh4s.jpg[/img]
Nobody is going to fuck with me!

9mm, .45, Hah!!! I fart in your general direction!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top