Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2001 6:45:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Since a Law Enforcement Organization could use post-ban mags, the biggest problem with the AC-556 is solved.  

I find it kind of strange, though--I would imagine a PD could get used M-16's for about $500 vs. (new-as there are not many used post-86 Ruger's out there) AC-556's for maybe $400, and they could get mags cheaper for the M-16's (LEO only mags),  and parts cheaper--kind of a false economy--as you might save a little on the rifles by going with the Ruger's, but spend a lot more on the other stuff.

Hell, they could go with UZI's (post-86 guns) instead of MP-5's easily enough, and not sacrifice too much (or any at all).

Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If I could still get working 20/30 round magazines like the police can it would be worth talking about. With the tens of thousands of USGI magazines floating around out there (beyond the California border) the AR is still the king.

For police use, where most shots are going to be inside of 50-80 yards, the accuracy of the Mini-14 is plenty good enough.
View Quote

Well I was going to say the exact same thing, but I'll save time by just quoting Paul's post.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought the whole argument for the Mini-14 in law enforcement was centered around reliability.  1/2/3 MOA accuracy doesn't matter as much when engaging targets at under 100 yards, probably much closer.  The Mini-14 is like an American version of the AK - it'll feed anything reliably, but you pay for that with accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Hell, you've got to remember that these are police units that will be using the rifles. They don't need MOA accuracy. Their "snipers" are usually only 100yds away or so and could probably use .22LRs and get away with it.

Look at the situation that just happened in Lubbock a few weeks ago where that SWAT officer was killed. They all bust in with MP5's and 200 some odd shots are fired, all by SWAT, and they come out with one wounded "suspect" and a dead compatriot. Could they have done any worse with Mini's? I doubt it.

Then there is the ever present show of the sniper that shot the guys gun out of his hand in the park. That sniper couldn't have been more that 70 or 80yds away. At that distance I could take my Rem. 700 and shoot the guys trigger finger off, but they make a huge deal out of it like the guy is some kind of superman making the best shot of all time. I see that kind of shooting every day at the range.

So, I agree that the Mini-14 would make a great tactical rifle for virtually any SWAT team in America.

Michael

Link Posted: 8/18/2001 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I must agree, although I have the Mini-30, it is extremely reliable, rugged and within it's range fairly accurate. I always found it between an M14 and M1 Carbine as far as operation. Mine is stainless. But, of course my AR-15's are a lot more accurate and best of all they are "Politically Incorrect". At the range the other shooter's must say "What a Nice Man" when I'm shooting my Mini-30, then I break out the Pre-ban and ruin their day.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry, but I sold off all of my Ruger Mini-14s when I finally woke up and realized that I couldn't easily get replacement parts for them!

Eric The(AlmostRugerless)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Ponyboy-  there's a big difference between making that kind of shot on a static range when nothing is at risk, and doing it on a moving human being when someone else's life and your career, house, etc. is on the line.  Range shooting doesn't equate to deadly force encounters.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Nothings wrong with the mini14, I'm more worried about the guy behind the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Cops in Santa Monica carry ARs with shotguns in their cruisers. I guess tourists are getting rough down at the pier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top