Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2001 11:10:52 AM EDT
A buddy of mine has a U.s. bayonet that is about 18 inches long. The scabbard is metal and is stamped m1917. It (the bayo) has a lever on the side that moves in & out. He says he thinks it is from a trench shotgun. The amazing thing is that it is brand new. He said they turned in their shotguns, but kept these bayonets. Can anyone help I.D. it. Sorry I dont have pics. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:33:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Plastic handle. No lettering or marks whatsoever on the bayo. It attaches to the LBE via the old style hooks like the older m-7 style bayonets. The blade is matte black, not shiny metal. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks all, especially you RAF. You are a fountain of knowledge today. I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#9]
If it is the Vietnam era 1917 it will be made by either General Cutlery (marked Gen Cut) or Canadian Arsenals. I am not sure how these would be marked, never had one. Have had the Gen Cut models. They are marked on the guard NOT on the blade. If this is Vietnam era I believe it may not be a rearsenal. All the Gen. Cut. bayos I have seen are of the dark parkerized look. The grips should be checkered plastic. These bayonets are also a little crude by the Winchester and Remington standards of WWI. The scabbard should be fiberglass with a metal throat that is marked U.S.-M1917 and the makers initials-B.M. & V.Z.M. seem to be the most popular, could also be marked B.A. or V.R.
If the scabbard is a WWII fiberglass it will be marked M1917 and have the ordnance (flaming bomb) on the throat. I usually see the Vietnam bayonets in the $175-$225 range, and they all seem to be in minty condition.
Hope this helps,
Tuco
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top