Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2001 6:49:56 PM EDT
count'em :)
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#1]
SHOW SOME RESPECT! DIC**EAD!
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Petty did have more wins,But earnhardt has brought more fans to nascar an is considered the richard petty of the 90's.It is a sad loss to see him go.Let him rest in peace
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#3]
This may sound bad, but Petty never died in his prime.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Richard Petty is my second favorite driver.
and yes he did win more races, but he won them at a time when there wasn't as much competion.

one just never knows (mostly) when their time is up.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#5]
WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR (AND IT ALWAYS DOES) COUNT 'EM
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Had Mr. Earnhardt had another 10 years, he prolly would have surpassed Petty...(I heard that on the news...so it MUST be true).

I dunno, I don't watch NASCAR...but I hope his family and friends remain strong during all this...

Hey jewbait, ever hear that saying...Don't speak ill of the dead. Even though what you said is a fact, Petty does have more wins...why rub salt in the wounds, guy?...No sense in being rude. ch
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 8:56:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No sense in being rude.
View Quote

Diddo.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds to me like jewbait is just trying to start something....children will play you know.
if he knew anything about nascar (and had a monicome of intelligence) he'd not have made such an assinine statement.

Godspeed Dale.....

BD
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Some seasons when Petty was racing, they had 60+ races each year.   The average in Dale's career was around 32.   So,  Richard had 2x more chances to win.   Plus, like someone else said,  the competition was easier back then.

Link Posted: 2/20/2001 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 12:54:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Earnhardt will have his place in nascar history just like Petty does. As with any major sports player (yes I do consider it a sport unlike my brother-in-law) that dies in his prime or near the end of his career there is always the "what if" factor. He will also have his cult following.  No new drivers will be able to match him for the same reason that he would not reach Petty's numbers- changing times/growing sport. When was the last time a Nascar driver had a major win with a car built in someones backyard garage?
[beer] CHEERS to someone who dominated like few have and went out doing what he loved!
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Just an observation here since the question seems to be # of wins. Didn't Petty used to race like three times a week on little backwoods tracks? I would say for his time Petty was the man, but in the modern era of NASCAR Dale is the man.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Let me begin by stating that I was a huge Earnhardt fan and like many stock car racing fans and southerners in general feel a loose not unlike losing a family a member. Nor am I attempting to defend jewbaits statement or less than eloquent means of stating it. However, he may have taken slight offense to the offical statement of Bill France, long term president of NASCAR, that Earhardt was the greatest driver in stock car racing history. I understand his sense of lose and mirror his sentiments. However, an unqualified statement such as that does in fact take away from the accomplishments of many of the old timers....Petty being the most notable. Petty won 200 races, with the last being the Firecracker 400 on July 4, 1984. He also won eleven championships compared to Earhardt's nine. What many (most) casual fans of the sport are not aware of is the fact that Petty no longer won races until his retirement in '92 because of failing eye sight and the fact that for the sake of not only himself but his fellow competitors he did not drive with the passion and aggression hw once had. His credited 200 wins and 11 championships were all from Winston Cup races. In Petty's "hey day" the competition and securing sponsors was, arguably far more difficult than modern NASCAR racing. Had it not been for Petty, Allison, Yarbrough and many of the other old timers there would be no Winston Cup, Busch Grand National or stock car racing today. The "kids" of today know only the new racers and were never exposed to the "roots" of racing that sprang up from the back roads in the south when moonshiners were being chased by the law and/or revenuers.

Not to diminsh the lose of Dale....he was a great man, a great driver and will be missed. But a blanket statement that he was the best that stock racing ever saw does do disservice to many others.

May Dale rest in peace and there be no restrictor plates in Heaven. He was a Hell of a man and a Hell of a racer. I'm glad if we, his fans and family did have to lose him it was on the final lap of the greatest ran on the circuit. I think he would have wanted it that way.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#16]
 I'm not giving in to the media on this. He was
not the greatest NASCAR driver. He bullied his
way on and off the track. If you can't "see"
that thenyou have the problem. And don't talk
about the money you dumbass. Big difference in
the dollar value of 1968 and 2000. At least Petty knew when to quit, DE quit when he had to,
when his heart quit beating :) Facts are facts.
Dead or alive.
Petty won his championships when backstretch
speeds on superspeedways exceeded 220 MPH.
Not so today. Study up boys and when you learn
something..........get back to me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#18]
You are like school on saturday.

No class.

Link Posted: 2/20/2001 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#19]
i'm in agreement with dk-prof - dude- loose the handle - even if you are a racist / neo nazi - as your name implies - at least be a civilized one (it all sorta ended 56 years ago and you missed the boat)...., or even better -be  brave and use your real name?

steve
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#20]
You just showed what you know...
The fastest speed recorded was by Bill Elliot at 210 mph at Talladega.
Wether you liked him or not, please show some respect. After all, he was a father and a husband to people who loved him.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#21]
jewbait, I had attempted to defend what I had hoped was the reason for your perspective on the matter. My error.
Granted I will give you that Earnhardt was a "bully", as you put it, on the track. Earnhardt exuded all of what stock car racing was about. The "bullying", you refer to, was where stock car racing came from and only political correctness and bleeding heart Yankee fans ever complained. The man said it best when he said; "[i]If you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch."[/i] Earnhardt's hard charging....."if I can't out run you I'll put your ass in the wall" attitude is the very thing that made fans of those of us that came from the old school of stock car racing's roots.
But I never once witnessed that attitude presented [i]off[/i] of the track. In fact I once saw him try to put Bobby Allison into the wall and Bobby, having set Dale up, slammed the brakes and Dale hit the wall instead and finished a distant fourth to Bobby's win. After the race Dale came up him in the winners circle and shuck his hand with a silly grin on his face. He raced hard but respected others that did the same. He lost as graciously....to a fellow driver with cajones' as he won.
No, he was not what one could unequivically call NASCAR's "greatest" driver. I'm not sure [i]anyone[/i] deserves or is driver enough to ever hold that title. But a great driver and a great man....from all that I ever saw...he was. Please allow him the respect any man of honor would give another whom has conducted himself as honorably as Earnhardt did and has given the fans (more than) their money's worth as he has and won more hearts than races.

Link Posted: 2/20/2001 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Gunslinger: Where have you been??? Don't you
remember the 1999 season when DE throttled
Rusty? The prick choked RW and it took 4
men to pull him off. You don't know about the
reporter who asked a few unpopular questions
to DE and as soon as the camera turned off DE
stomped down hard enough on the reporters foot
to break a few bones. I don't want to beat a
dead horse (pardon the pun:) but a prick
is a prick......dead or alive.
And some of you have a problem with my handle.
What gives, you politically correct jerks? What's the matter?......does it not fit into your little scheme of "neat" names.
To you DK Prof......you don't know what the
term jewbait means? I suggest you look it up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Well....well....Striker you remind me of the
little bastard who would run and tell the
third grade teacher every time another student
would say "shit". Grow the hell up.
Is this AR15.com or AR15.censorship?
JEWBAIT out. :>)
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I know what "General Discussion" is about.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Striker: I read the rules again. I admit I
am missing your point. Please enlighten me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Go away troll.  

I'd prefer if you left this existence, but right now I'd settle for you leaving this board.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#33]
"I'm tripping over the line"....tough call
ain't it? Gee boys, what's the matter? Don't
you have your steel toe combat boots on?
Heaven forbid my thinking DOES NOT agree
with yours. Did'nt mean to step on your little
soft white toes :>)
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I dont think "jewbait" was trolling although I could be wrong ( I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken ) He does have a valid point. They were all equal then as they are all equal now. You know like the price of gas is the same as it was twenty years ago given the inflation of every item sold and the wage today compared to the wage of yesteryear. Anyway.... It slays me that when someone dies ( please dont get me wrong here I am as sorrowfull as the next guy ) everyone jumps on the "oh he was a great guy" bandwagon. so many people did not like him, he was a little arrogant and self absorbed. I myself am of the opinion that if he was'nt trying to slow traffic running 190 mph so that his team members could win and get a 1st, 2nd and his 3rd place win he might still be alive. wouldnt it have been great to get that 1,2,3, for his own team. too bad it cost so much. yea he was good but not the greatest. Just my opinion dont shoot me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Striker I hate that Dale died as much as
anyone. I posted because there was a post
in reference to Dale. It is a fact that he
was a bully on and off the track. How he
managed to not get busted in the mouth within
the last ten years is beyond me. Do you think
Cale Yarborough would have taken Dale's crap?
Ain't no way bud.
And where were all you mourners when Adam Petty
died? You could have cared less. Or Kenny
Irwin? Ditto.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 9:32:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes I did mourn for Adam, and the Petty family, and as much as I disliked Irwin Jr., I mourned for him as well.

Obviously this is a little more personal since Earnhardt meant a lot more to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top