Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/16/2001 4:14:53 PM EDT
The only thing I'm afraid of about purchasing a 9mm glock is that it won't have enough "stopping power" for a home defense handgun.  I won't be carrying or concealed carrying, this will only be a home and family personal protection firearm.

So right now I'm unsure of whether to get one of the 9mm glocks, .40, or even .45.

One thing I do know is that I'm not interested in any of the compact or sub-compact models. Only the full standard sizes.

I'm still unsure of whether to get the compensated or not, and whether or not to get the practical/tactical model or the competition model.

Basically, these are the models that I'm considering.

For the 9mm:   17, 17C, 17L, 34
For the .40:      22, 35, 34
For the .45:      21
For the .357:    31
For the 10mm:  20

Anyone with some knowledge feel free to give me some advice
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:20:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a Sig.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Ever look at 1911s??

Kimber??
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the Glock 21, except it is large. I wear size 3X gloves, and still find it large.
I have carried a G22 for over 6 years. It works, the ammo works. (we have had almost 20 shootings with 180gr SXT Ranger ammo in the past few years-15 dead on scene, no failures to stop) The 155gr. or 135gr. might be more in line as home defense ammo though, less penetration. With a high cap mag, and one up the spout, night sights, and a dedicated light, Sweeeeeeet!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#5]
.45s are good, the .40 however is proving to be effective aswell. Your stuck on buying a glock huh?

I might buy a Sig, Kimber, or ruger (based on the fact that you want a full sized pistol)
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm and it will pretty much stop anything, thats my favorite. My wife likes her S&W SW99 in .40 S&W.

Dave
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Yea I'm kinda stuck on Glock, based on all the great things I've heard about it from so many people.

The only gun that made me think twice about the Glock was the Sig.

Anyone have anything BAD to say about glocks used as home defense guns?
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#8]
In response to those of you posting suggestions about other brands of handguns than Glocks (such as SIG and 1911s) please keep in mind that the firearm is to be used when the user might be pretty nervous/scared and the SIG (with all due respect) has too many levers and crap going on.

The Glock has only one thing  - the trigger.

And I would stay away from a compensated model for home defense. In my opinion you don't need it.

(Edited to add the spiel about compensated models.)
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:38:59 PM EDT
[#9]
good point skullworks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
good point skullworks.
View Quote

You're welcome. Also, as I've posted before in other threads the Glock guns are like hammers in the sense that if you happen to drop it you won't start crying, you just pick it up, scrape the dirt off of it and keep going. With a SIG or a 1911 I'd be more whimpy.

Personally I intend to buy a Glock 23 in the near future. I've chosen the 23 because it fits my hand better than the full-size 22, but it's still not a "compact."
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
good point skullworks.
View Quote

You're welcome. Also, as I've posted before in other threads the Glock guns are like hammers in the sense that if you happen to drop it you won't start crying, you just pick it up, scrape the dirt off of it and keep going. With a SIG or a 1911 I'd be more whimpy.

Personally I intend to buy a Glock 23 in the near future. I've chosen the 23 because it fits my hand better than the full-size 22, but it's still not a "compact."
View Quote

I would have to say you thought about something I didn't, but if that is the case a mid-sixed DA revolver sounds like the trick. Only six rounds, but they can be SIX ROUNDS.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:51:52 PM EDT
[#12]
You might want to considert the Glock in 357 Sig. I have a Glock 33 and a Glock 36. My favorite, when I am not carrying a 1911, or in my home is the G33 in 357Sig. Great ballistics and a lot better than the 40 only my opinion
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
good point skullworks.
View Quote

View Quote

I would have to say you thought about something I didn't, but if that is the case a mid-sixed DA revolver sounds like the trick. Only six rounds, but they can be SIX ROUNDS.
View Quote

True. A big chromed DA revolver would do great as a deterrant (IMHO they look more impressive than a Glock) and with a revolver you can press the muzzle up against the target (something which can render a 1911 inoperable) but if the target grabs hold to your cylinder before you get a chance to pull the trigger you're in trouble.
Also, I kinda like having more than 6 rounds available. My speedloading is better with a pistol than a revolver. (Provided I had to waste more than one magazine fending off the intruder - better safe than sorry.)
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By The Beer Slayer:
then again if it home defense only go 12g shotgun. Cheaper than most pistols. MUCH more firepower. Easy point and click interface.
View Quote

True, though it's harder to wield (read easier to knock into things) I can think of few things that make you think twice of what you're doing than the sound of someone using the pump on a shotgun. [shotgun]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
good point skullworks.
View Quote

View Quote
Oh really.  Then why did the SEALs reject the Glocks because they wouldn't work in the sand when they were coming out of the surf and accept the Sig, which would work.

and the SIG (with all due respect) has too many levers and crap going on.
View Quote

My Sig 228 and 220 are both DA on first shot, SA after that.  What levers and crap are you talking about?

Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Glock 22 0r 35 is nice.( Glock 23 is a nice CCW.)
I like my Kimber 1911
Remington 870 12ga. shotgun is a good choice also.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I am a huge Glock fan, yet I do have something bad to say about them in a home defense scenario: the Glock trigger action, while unmatched in reliability, consistency and ease of use for the well-trained user, could be considered marginally unsafe in unfamiliar/untrained hands.  The benefits of the Glock "Safe Action" trigger system can be considered detrimental depending on the person wielding it.  There are no manual safeties (the trigger safety doesn't count) so if the trigger is pulled, the gun is going to go off, regadless of what is in front of the barrel.  This can be a bad thing when the adrenaline is pumping.

That said, there is certainly nothing wrong with the Sig Sauer autos.  They are accurate, reliable, and have an excellent reputation.  The heavy, double-action first shot trigger pull may be a better choice for someone unfamiliar with and not thoroughly trained in the handling of a Glock.  In trained hands, the Glock is, IMHO, a better fighting weapon than a Sig.  Many will argue that and that's fine.  I have a Sig Sauer P229 .40 S&W and a Glock 17, and my opinion is that the Sig is a better "range" gun and the Glock is a better "fighting" weapon.

If you are willing to put in the time to practice, practice, practice with a Glock (something you should do anyway with any defensive weapon) then I'd say go for it.  If it is going to be mainly a seldom used "nightstand" gun, then get the Sig or a Beretta 92FS.

Lastly, I know I commented on this in your other post, but it is a pet peeve of mine.   There is NO SIGNIFICANT difference in effectiveness against a human adversary between a good 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP round.  There has always been and will always be heated "my caliber is best" arguments but there is no FACTUAL evidence proving a .45 better than a .40, or a .40 better than a 9mm, etc, ect, etc.  A Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124gr +P or 115gr +P+ round, or Winchester Ranger SXT 127gr +P+ round is every bit as effective in a fight as any .40 or .45 round.  I do have handguns in multiple calibers, so I'm not a "9mm only" guy.  Those rounds are effective, just not any more so than the above 9mm's.

In conclusion, pick the handgun that fits YOU the best, YOU can shoot most accurately, YOU will practice most with, and YOU are confident with, be it a Glock, Sig Sauer, Beretta, or Heckler & Koch.  Any of these will serve you well (regardless of caliber).

......the Sig may rust a little though. [;)]

Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes Beer Slayer, 12 gauge pump, 2-3/4" 00 buck, 18" barrel, high capacity tube, tactical pistol grip stock. Will not settle for anything less.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
......the Sig may rust a little though. [;)]

View Quote

Tell that to the SEALs[:D]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#23]
This is my current "multi layered" deterrant system:

1)  1 85lb black lab
2)  1 75lb german sheppard
3)  1 SIG P229 with 11 .40 Golden Sabers
4)  1 Bushaster Carbine, 4 full mags

Should all of this fail to deter said aggressor, then I guess I'll just rip his head off with my bare hands [xx(]

As for the Glocks, I have seen several people have problems with the small frames not cycling rounds when not held properly.  (the "limp-wrist" effect)  Of course, this should'nt be a problem.  But given the potential scenario, late at night/fumbling in the dark/adrenaline pumping/possibly rushing to acquire said weapon before scumbag makes it down the hall, it seems quite possible to experience this.  If your set on Glock, I would stick with larger frame to be safe...
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#25]
There may be only a marginal difference between the 9mm and .40 or .45, but why not have every advantage you can get?  The mass movement by law enforcement towards the .40 and .357 Sig (and even back to the .45 to some extent) is irrefutable evidence that the 9mm is not as effective (although you won't catch me volunteering to be shot with it).  [;)]

P.S. A major reason for the military's exodus from the .45 was that weaker individuals, particularly women, were limp wristing it.  Hence, the adoption of the 9mm.  Now that there is a 10 round mag limit (if you're an average buyer) I say make 'em 10 big ones!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Ditto the comments about practicing and making sure that you can handle the weapon effectively.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Ditto the comments about practicing and making sure that you can handle the weapon effectively.
Go with as much gun as you can handle...also consider the fact that a full sized Klintonized 9mm Glock will still only hold 10 rounds.  How about 10 rounds of .357 sig, .40, or .45?  Make em count!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#29]
If you want to go home defence get a Remington 12ga with a pistol grip on the rear and a pistol grip on the pump.  18" bbl to be legal and viola!! you are all set!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By LARRY G:
Also, as I've posted before in other threads the Glock guns are like hammers in the sense that if you happen to drop it you won't start crying, you just pick it up, scrape the dirt off of it and keep going. With a SIG or a 1911 I'd be more whimpy.
View Quote
Oh really.  Then why did the SEALs reject the Glocks because they wouldn't work in the sand when they were coming out of the surf and accept the Sig, which would work.
View Quote

You missed my point; I was talking about how you, the owner, react if you drop a Glock, compared to if you drop a SIG or a 1911.
Since I never expect to come out of the surf with a Glock [b]or[/b] a SIG I can't say one way or another about the SEAL's choice to go for the stainless SIG over the Glock. All I know is that if I happen to have a SEAL carrying SIG in my house when someone breaks in, I'll be more than happy to let him (the SEAL) take over.
The thing is that I live in a [b]COMPLETELY[/B] different world than the SEALs do. I don't have to worry about saltwater, sands, nor surfs (I'm short on that Arizona beach property everyone keeps talking about.) [b]My[/b] list of priorities when I look for a firearm will be different than the SEALs.
Now, if you like to roll around in the surf with your SIG please, by all means, be my guest. But do understand that it's something you won't find me doing. I prefer to spend $500 for a Glock 23 (than $700 for a SIG 220) to use for home protection, being 100% confident in my proficiency in using it and it's own reliability, than buying a SIG based on the fact that the SEALs picked it for a highly specialized application.
and the SIG (with all due respect) has too many levers and crap going on.
View Quote

My Sig 228 and 220 are both DA on first shot, SA after that.  What levers and crap are you talking about?
View Quote

The decocking lever mainly. Although it's not an obsticle to getting the first, through the 15th, shot fired, there are multiple studies about how secure those using the SIGs felt. The studies dealt with German police officers who were issued the SIG. Though the decocker has more to do with securing the firearm after it's been fired many of those officers who participated in the study felt intimidated buy the decoking lever. The same officers felt much more secure using the Glock as they felt they had a better understanding/control of the weapons function.

We're talking application and perception here. And perception is actually important.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I've got the Mossberg 500 w/ both grips and a slightly longer (21"?) bbl to facilitate the 7round mag, with a white light.  I think it's worth the extra 3 inches on the bbl.  You can't beat 8 shots of tactical #4 and/or tactical 00 Buck--
One shot of 00 Buck is like having a 9 round burst from a submachine gun, without all the paperwork hassle!  [shotgun]

I'm off topic.......but anyway, perhaps your home pistol should be a shotgun...if you absolutely, positively will NOT be using it for concealed carry anyway.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Hey ETRON,
 I don't intend to pry here, but why are you so intent upon buying a pistol for home defense?  Is it because you already own a shotgun and want a pistol?  Perhaps there are other reasons??  Let us know what's up so that we can help soothe your guilty conscience some more (you know that feeling of guilt after you decide to buy another gun) .    [;)]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Now, if you like to roll around in the surf with your SIG please, by all means, be my guest..... than buying a SIG based on the fact that the SEALs picked it for a highly specialized application.
View Quote

Well, I do live at the beach.[:D]  I did not buy it because the SEALs use it.  I bought it after reading much about it and the recommendation of my FFL.  I found out about the SEALs using it later.  Did make me feel good, though.  

The decocking lever mainly. Although it's not an obsticle to getting the first, through the 15th, shot fired, there are multiple studies about how secure those using the SIGs felt. The studies dealt with German police officers who were issued the SIG. Though the decocker has more to do with securing the firearm after it's been fired many of those officers who participated in the study felt intimidated buy the decoking lever. The same officers felt much more secure using the Glock as they felt they had a better understanding/control of the weapons function.
View Quote

I really don't understand how the decocker cause anyone consternation.  Sounds like they didn't have a clue if they were intimidated by the decocker.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#35]
My vote goes for either the G21 which is what i use. Or an AR-15 pistol. i looked around and Chose the G21 after shoting it. It fits my hands well and I like it, I shoot it alot and am currently thinking of putting the 3.5# trigger on it. The balistics of the ar-15 pistol is great though. There have been alot of studies recently that show the 223 doesn't overpenetrate and is much more devistating than a normal handgun.

just my 2 cents.

Get what you like, learn it, Love it. Enjoy
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#36]
If you are considering a compensated autopistol I would shoot one in a low light condition before I bought. I shoot 9mm, 40S&W, and a 45ACP and I'm quite comfortable with any of the three cartridges for the intended purpose, but I am becomming very fond of the 40S&W in my 96FS. On the Glock I have a G-19 which is a very high mileage autopistol, it is failure free. I did replace the sights on it as I felt the Glock sights were too fragile(this proved to be true in my case). Hope this helps with your decision.
Have a nice evening,   Rabon...
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 6:59:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By LARRY G:
Quoted:
Now, if you like to roll around in the surf with your SIG please, by all means, be my guest..... than buying a SIG based on the fact that the SEALs picked it for a highly specialized application.
View Quote

Well, I do live at the beach.[:D]  I did not buy it because the SEALs use it.  I bought it after reading much about it and the recommendation of my FFL.  I found out about the SEALs using it later.  Did make me feel good, though.
View Quote

Nothing wrong with that (it making you feel good.) And I must say I'm glad to hear you're not one of those people who buy everything that has been mentioned in the same sentence as SEALs. The SIGs withstood the same test as the Glock did when the Swedish military (that's where I learned to appreciate the Glock) had trials for a new sidearm in the mid '80s. In these test they managed to blow the slide off the Beretta 92. However, they too found the Glock to be easier to use, as well as actually fitting more shooters than the SIG. I also want to recall that in their tests the Glock was more reliable in cold weather than the SIG, a consideration which might have been less important to the SEALs than that of operational reliability after going through the surf. If I'm not completely mistaken the SEALs also use other handguns than the SIG too?

I really don't understand how the decocker cause anyone consternation.  Sounds like they didn't have a clue if they were intimidated by the decocker.
View Quote

Like I said, it has to do with perception. They perceived the SIG to be harder to operate than the Glock.

In really heated situations you don't want to have any doubts about what you're doing, or at least you want to limit the number of doubts you might have. Going with a no frills Glock is one step on the way.

Another consideration that I kind of alluded to earlier is the price. I'll readily agree that the SIGs are very good guns, but I'm one of those "less is more" people where the Glock really struck a chord. Also they don't feel right in my hand. Anyway, I digress.
If you do end up using your handgun for self-defense here in Arizona your gun will be impounded during the investigation and [b]if[/b] you get it back (the if doesn't have as much to do with whether or not it was a lawful shooting as you might wish) it will now have a new custom feature - the impound number engraved on the side of the gun! (And yes, I've seen this done for real.) I'd rather have them do it to a Glock than a SIG. I think we both can agree on that.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#38]
My vote would be for the shotgun first and the pistol in the nightstand. BTW, nobody has mentioned HK's USP line. Love my .40!

Brian
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#39]
i got a glock 17 i can shoot it alot better under stress then my other guns go with what works for u sure its a 9mm but id rather hit him with a 9mm then miss him with anyother caliber. Rember the point is to STOP THE THREAT if he lives or dies is beside the point as long as  the perp STOPS being a threat. be it running away or keeling over. also got a win 1300 in the closet loaded with bird shot (dont wanna kill a innicent with 00 buck going thru the walls now do i. besides at the range i would have to use it its gonan blow a big hole in the perp anyway.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#40]
When I decided to invest in a handgun, I went to the range and shot a 45, then a 40, and then a 9mm.  I felt much more comfortable with the 9mm with regards to handling and placement of the shot.  Although I own a sig 226 in 9mm (for my home defense) I know its not for everybody.  I would say go to the range and see what calibur fits your comfort level.  Then, decide what brand of gun.  Price is an issue then stay away from sig.  They are pricey.  Good luck with your choice.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#42]
You can't go wrong with either SIG's or Glocks!  I don't a Glock, but I do own and carry every classic SIG in every available caliber.  I happen to like the .357SIG caliber, and carry it most in a P229 and a P226.  However, I also carry Colt 1911, and even a PO 14-45.  Any of the actions can be learned.

A lot depends on how much you want and are willing to practice.  I would add, that late at night, if I was to be awakened from sleep, I would probably grab my P228 9mm, with a SIG 20 round magazine full of Gold Dots, or Ranger SXT's, along with my bright assed M6 flashlight.  The only Place I would have to carry a spare mag, would be my puckered ass, so I would like to have major capacity at hand.

Glocks are great fighting weapons, as SIG's are too.  Find the one that fits your hand,and you can be confident and secure in either!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#43]
I'd go with a SIG 220.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:32:16 PM EDT
[#44]
I second the Sig 220. If you want a DA/SA 45 the 220 is awsome. I own a Glock 27 and like it very much. The only draw back I see from using a Glock as a home defence weapon is that is does not have the ability to double strike.
If you happen on a hard primer, you can not pull the trigger again, you have to rack the slide. I'm sure the chances of this happening are slim, but it is something to take into consideration in a life or death situation.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:41:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Ever consider a Beretta ???

I own 2...

A 92FS in 9MM and a 96FS in .40 cal...

My wife loved shooting the 9MM so much, I gave it to her, and got the .40 cal. for myself.

The 92FS holds 15+1, of Speer Gold Dot +P's...

The 96FS holds 11+1, of Winchester HPs...
As far as which one I'd grab to confront an intruder...  
...probably the 9MM with 16 +P rounds at the ready...

In my opinion, the Beretta's are the Ferarri's of auto loaders.

Nothing against the Glocks, I just really like the looks, feel, and reliability of a full size Beretta.
Besides, it's simpler than hell to strip down and clean...

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm not positive, BUT...

.....Didn't the U.S. Military adopt this handgun as it's standard issue side arm ???

If I were you, I'd try shooting several different makes/models to see which one "feels" right...
I think the word is..."Ergonomics"  

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:43:11 PM EDT
[#46]
I use my HK USP in .40 for my "something went bump in the night" handgun. I've got the UTL on it, so I can keep a hand free for the phone while still lighting up the place [i]and[/i] staying armed.

Normally I would use a shotgun if possible, and I've got a few, but sometimes less is better. If I need to go outside to check out a noise or whatever, I can tuck a handgun in my PJs and look around. No point in my neighbors seeing me running outside in my PJs with an AK or something. If there's a real emergency, a shotgun and rifle are nearby. As well as a second cell-phone.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:12:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Everyone has an opinion, so here's mine. Since we are limited to 10 rounds in CA, why not make them 10 fairly large rounds like some of the guys said? Perhaps a G23 or G30? The G30 with Golden Saber 185 gr. +P ammo would be a good combination.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 5:16:40 AM EDT
[#48]
A few things to consider:

The GLOCK is meant to be carried finger off the trigger until you want to destroy what the muzzle is pointed at.  If the trigger is not pulled, it will not go off no matter what you do to it.  If the trigger is pulled, it will go off no matter what you have done to it.  If you really do train finger off the trigger there I no problem installing the 3.5# trigger, which is a great improvement (comes standard on the G35 .40 and G34 9mm).    

The ability to double strike is a double edged sword.  If your problem is a hard primer, a second hit of the firing pin is fine, and just pulling the trigger again is faster than Tap Rack Bang.  However, if the problem is a dud round, or a really really hard primer, etc, Tap Rack Bang is quicker than a second trigger pull, then maybe a third, then Tap Rack Bang.  I always train to TRB in any bad situation, although I have to set them up b/c (not bragging) GLOCKS don't jam or fail to fire at the range.

I have shot a bunch of Sigs, and I like the way they shoot at the range.  They were all also excellent in terms of fit and finish.  My personal opinion is that a double action first shot followed by single action follow up shots is not suitable for stressful situations.  If that's how you were raised and train, it may be just right for you.

Porting a defense handgun has good and bad points.  Good- fast follow up shots.  Bad- flash may kill your night vision, you may be burned or injured if you have to fire from a funny position.  Which brings up moving around your house.  Some people say stay put, but a lot of us don't want to lock ourselves in the bedroom with the 12 guage and call the police every time we hear a noise.  Sometimes you have to go check, and with a shotgun or a pistol you cannot fire held close to your body you may be handicapping yourself.

Finally (mercifully), consider the following set up.  Make sure your GLOCK is third gen and not a subcompact, so it has rails.  Buy an M3 light for under the barrel.  Buy a photon II microlight in red or orange and take it off the keyring.  If you have to go mobile inside your house at night put the Photon between your front teeth.  A light bite will provide enough light to navigate, but not too much to give away your position down a hall or around the corner.  It also will let you keep your night vision.  you have one free hand to open doors, fend off any surprises, etc., and you have the pistol and blinding light ready at your disposal.  

Get the G35.        

Link Posted: 7/17/2001 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#49]
If you want a semi pistol get something in 45 ACP. I would recommend  a full size SIG or any full size 1911 style pistol. The 45 ACP round is very controllable and it is a proven effective round, both in combat and in civian use. If you use hollowpoints make absolutely certain the pistol functions 100% with them.

If you want a revolver I would recommend a full sized 357 Magnum revolver like Smith & Wesson. The 357 round is also a proven effective round. Revolvers a simpler to operate, especially if other family members may be expected to use it. If you can't stand the recoil and muzzle flash of full power 357 rounds you can always use downloaded 357 or even 38 special rounds in this revolver. Stay away from the snubbie 357 or titanium anything in this caliber, they will kick like crazy and you will be sorry.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#50]
DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT use a 9mm for home defense.  Shooting people with a 9mm just makes them angry.  I've seen a s-load of people shot with 9's and all it does is really piss them off (I work in a hospital).  People shot with .40's and .45's go to the morgue.  Yes, yes, I know on paper, in theory, that a 9mm should have the ability, with the proper bullet, to work like a .40 or a .45; but it simple doesn't hold out to be so in reality.  A 9mm is great for chasing a dog away from the garbage, plinking at tin cans, or shooting in the air on New Years Eve, but not for use in self defense.  If I had to pick one pistol to shoot/use for the rest of my life it would be a Glock 23 or a Glock 30.  Just can't beat those pistols.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top